Options

An[chat] Rome

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    My flight early wednesday better not be cancelled, I will sit in my apartment all thanksgiving and eat an entire pumpkin cheesecake.

dont you mean pumkin cheesepie?

If I were in a trailer park and I had just finished my bucket of KFC extra crispy then maybe I would be eating CHEESE PIE WHICH IS A DIFFERENT THING AND REALLY TRASHY
    Thanksgiving pizza

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    The Second life world map is great, there are a few large continents then just random individual plots everyhwere

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I feel like it would only have an impact if placed next to another number

just juxtapose 'amount of money spent today on digital hats' with 'amount of money donated today to humanitarian aid in Somalia'

I wasn't even thinking that. Money spent on Call of Duty games next to the Somalia figure would be horrifying enough in its own way. Just the amount of money a developer has ground out of the portion of the player base with poor impulse control and a liking for shiny things. Is it many millions per game? Is it a slow but steady revenue stream for not much work? How much money have virtual hats contributed to the economy.

I wonder if anyone still plays Second Life. Is it full of angry, shouting kings and queens of ghost towns?

One of the many interviews I've had was for a company that made a fairly popular facebook game, where buying hats (and other things) is pretty much all you do. They considered a month that they made anything under 1Million USD to be a "bad" month.

These things make crazy money, and they do it off a very small percentage of their playerbase (about 10%) and they have a shit ton of data on the kind of person that spends money on their game, and on exactly how to appeal to them.

The whole thing strikes me as being in the exact same vain as internet gambling websites

if everyone was like me, these people would make no money whatsoever

but all they need is someone with a certain strain of compulsive behaviour and it's $LOLTEXAS$ time

it really is pretty exploitative

Casual on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    reading that This Is Thin Privilege tumblr

hoyo boyo

I should really be sleeping instead

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Ugh, i failed to do schoolwork today.

But i will not fail tomorrow.

Because if i do, shit will hit the fan.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    to be honest

i have gazed too long and too deep into the abyss

i've seen too much

what i'm saying is, fur suits don't seem exceptionally weird to me anymore

they’ve entered “eh, whatever floats your boat” territory for me

i, on the other hand, will stand guard

Furries gather, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Furry's Watch, for this furry and all the furries to come.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

its 10:16 am how the hell are you giving up already

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

its 10:16 am how the hell are you giving up already

Because i am going to school soon and i don't have time to start.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    There's a breeder in Indiana or Idaho or some I state that sells arctic foxes for $600.

I'm currently trying to convince my wife through d'aww pictures.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I loved TF2 when it came out. It was around the time they started doing item drops that things got weird for me. But it was fun for a bit.

the item drop system was a weird one

they should have just come out with new weapons

but yeah i played a ton of tf2, and stopped just before all the hats stuff

i still think the aesthetic/style of the game is essentially perfect

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Is this true?

No WONDER I dislike football so much.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    He was obsessed with having superiority, and viewed any of those unwilling to follow him (such as Merle Dixon or even his own militia) as a hindrance, and would coldly kill them for the heck of it.

woah

the walking dead wiki is not fucking around

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i like that mr ortego is puerto rican

poo
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    to be honest

i've seen too much

Furries gather, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Furry's Watch, for this furry and all the furries to come.

keep up the good fight gooby

suffer not the furry to live

purge them all

for the EMPRAH

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I feel like it would only have an impact if placed next to another number

just juxtapose 'amount of money spent today on digital hats' with 'amount of money donated today to humanitarian aid in Somalia'

I wasn't even thinking that. Money spent on Call of Duty games next to the Somalia figure would be horrifying enough in its own way. Just the amount of money a developer has ground out of the portion of the player base with poor impulse control and a liking for shiny things. Is it many millions per game? Is it a slow but steady revenue stream for not much work? How much money have virtual hats contributed to the economy.

I wonder if anyone still plays Second Life. Is it full of angry, shouting kings and queens of ghost towns?

One of the many interviews I've had was for a company that made a fairly popular facebook game, where buying hats (and other things) is pretty much all you do. They considered a month that they made anything under 1Million USD to be a "bad" month.

These things make crazy money, and they do it off a very small percentage of their playerbase (about 10%) and they have a shit ton of data on the kind of person that spends money on their game, and on exactly how to appeal to them.

The whole thing strikes me as being in the exact same vain as internet gambling websites

if everyone was like me, these people would make no money whatsoever

but all they need is someone with a certain strain of compulsive behaviour and it's $LOLTEXAS$ time

it really is pretty exploitative

The main difference between that Facebook game and (as I understand it) 99% of games is that in the Facebook game they had items you could only buy with real money. By contrast, I think games do allow you to get micro transaction items with in game currency. As long as that's possible, I'm fine with the micro transaction option existing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I remember when we had a PA presence in Second Life. We had some fun times exploring the weird shit.

Still some people left there

Last I saw the group itself was p much kaput though

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Microtransactions that allow for cosmetic stuff are OK

Microtransactions that confer in-game advantages are best expressed in units of Hitlers

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    I remember when we had a PA presence in Second Life. We had some fun times exploring the weird shit.

Still some people left there

Last I saw the group itself was p much kaput though

You left them behind?
    monsters

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Is this true?

This seems like a stretch

DirecTV does these NFL Short Cut things where they clip a game down into 30 minutes by just splicing together actual play footage and even then they often end up skipping some plays to fit the 30 minute window. 11 minutes seems pretty off.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Is this true?

According to a Wall Street Journal study, it is.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    to be honest

i've seen too much

The furwalkers have risen. It is the long yiffer.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Got the December company newsletter today

Apparently the Pilgrim's [sic] landed on Dec 21st

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I would definitely be interested in testing that out -- start clock once the ball is hiked or whatever and then stop it when the play is dead, even if the game clock continues.

Too bad I'd have to actually watch a football game to do that.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    reading that This Is Thin Privilege tumblr

hoyo boyo

I should really be sleeping instead

TiTP is one of the highlights of /r/tumblrinaction

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    DK and I were discussing Boston rent prices recently and IIRC 1800 was rock bottom for a 1BR in a relatively "central" location (about 20-30 min out from beacon hill / city hall). A 2BR obviously scales better but you're still looking at mebbe ~2400/mo? if you want to be near Harvard/MIT or the trendy places

@ronya

This is correct. You can find 1 Br for 1600 if you are willing to look at scary outer neighborhoods, closets, and basements. This all scales much better per person for 2-4Br. Boston is really expensive to rent in, on par with your Singapores and Londons, New Yorks.

@donkey kong @eddy @irond will jan and feb two month lease for 1br as a roommate near Longwood hospital area, I am told

is that trendy

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Is this true?

DirecTV does these NFL Short Cut things where they clip a game down into 30 minutes by just splicing together actual play footage and even then they often end up skipping some plays to fit the 30 minute window. 11 minutes seems pretty off.

I think they're talking about strictly snap to tackle

• Options

Is this true?

I think they're talking about strictly snap to tackle

That's pretty much what these Short Cut things show, plus maybe a 1-2 seconds on either end of the play.

• Options
    Although I guess those seconds add up over 140 plays or so

• Options
    Also, this is on average of whatever number of games they observed.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Is this true?

But they probably also show the parts where the players line up and what not. I assume this is only taking into account once each play actually starts.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Trying to choose which pizza buffet to go to for lunch. Hrmmm

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    ugh, i just can't with folgers instant coffee anymore. especially without half and half.
    @dynagrip

why do you do this

what have i done to you

idgi

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

CiCi's is cardboard with ketchup on it.

If I was forced into a pizza buffet... eh... Mazzios?

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Apparently the local Cici's pizza by me is no longer a Cici's pizza. I guess it's still a pizza buffet but is independently owned I guess? Maybe just rebranding?

Either way I'm pretty sure I haven't been there in at least a decade.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I googled the thin privilege and I read a story about someone who is overweight complaining that their doctor said to stop birth control pills and start blood pressure medication, while her sister who is thin did not get that, with the same family history.

because her blood pressure is just higher because of being around a doctor, she says
    Thin privilege is not having your right to access contraception denied.

Thin privilege is not having a medical status assigned to you incorrectly.

Thin privilege is not being told you need to take medication for the rest of your life for a condition that you do not have.

Thin privilege is not having to give up and give in so you can get what you want.

good god being a doctor must be so annoying

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    They claim the average play is four seconds long, and if you consider how often the ball is snapped with 5 or fewer seconds on the play clock in a 60 minute game, it's not too difficult to imagine most games only being 11 minutes of actual play on average.

60 mins, 40 second play clock, 35 seconds of which are used each play, plus four seconds of actual play

60 mins / (39/60) = 92.3 plays
    (92.3 * 4 seconds per play) / 60 = 6.15 minutes

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Just called dispatch. No work for me today, so that kinda sucks. Guy I spoke to said next week is definitely when it's on, but to be alert tomorrow and Wednesday just in case.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    We have this place called Pizza Pie Buffet. Everytime I eat there, I'm pretty sure I have an acne break out the next day because grease.

So its really good.

Also they have this potato pizza. Its amazing.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

CiCi's is cardboard with ketchup on it.

If I was forced into a pizza buffet... eh... Mazzios?

I'd never heard of Mazzios, but the closest one is like an hour from my office. I know CiCi's is total garbage, but I'm debating whether driving the extra 5 minutes to get to the Pizza Hut (we still have a sit-down one!) is worth it :P

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    ugh, i just can't with folgers instant coffee anymore. especially without half and half.
    @dynagrip

why do you do this

what have i done to you

idgi

y u commit coffee sacrilege

poo
This discussion has been closed.