As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An[chat] Rome

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    i think rugby is a fake game that only exists to keep guys with no necks from having too much pent up aggression

the purpose of the game is to move the leather egg forward and also to maim as many people as possible

the catch is that you can only throw the leather egg backwards. and also no one wears any pads so gruesome injuries are super common.

I recently learned that originally you could only pass backwards in hockey too.

I guess people were furious when the forward pass was put into the game, thought it would ruin it. LOL.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I honestly think rugby people would be caught off guard by nfl players just because of their speed. They aren't just 6'4 250 pound animals, they are fast as shit

I remember seeing some clip of an American tearing up rugby because he was just so much faster than everyone else

To be fair, with the amount of money involved in the NFL they are naturally going to attract better athletes. What does the best rugby player in the world make?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Curling is the only real sport worth watching.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

I have to ask, how many people here have actually curled?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    It is interesting how 'privilege' has come to imply 'injustice'.

Which I guess is true in most cases? Like, as a white dude I am privileged in pretty much all my human interactions and mostly because people who are not white or are not dudes have to deal with Bullshit.

And I originally intended to say something like 'health does not recognize your unprivileged status, it just is' but couldn't find a way to word that in a manner that made it agnostic to healthcare because yeah doctors are humans and studies show that I'd get better and more comprehensive treatment even controlling for socioeconomic factors (though you wouldn't want to because, hey, intersectionalism).

So I guess the strongest statement that I can make is that the Tumblr person in question might be dealing with institutions that are sometimes guilty of pathologizing the Other and while her physician's diagnosis of high blood pressure might be an inaccurate one and that inaccuracy might be due to some bias against fat people BUT that one should generally take the advice of medical professionals and there is generally the option to get a second opinion. Making a Tumblr post ain't never resolved someone's prescription medication dilemma.

the bias isn't the... "wrong" kind of bias. Thin privilege? Less chance of cardiovascular problems, or risk of diabetes.

which is why a doctor would be more likely to think someone overweight's blood pressure might be worrying.

argh, fucking tumblr.

Well we can't know the whole situation, but I imagine that there is a nonzero amount of bullshit that fat people have to deal with that thin people don't, and that this bullshit does extend into medical practice. That doesn't speak to the veracity nor the efficacy of this Tumbling, but I don't think it's a controversial statement.

that's only because it is an incredibly vague statement.

Two siblings, family history of blood pressure issues, one obese, blood pressure is kind of high -> doctor says "take blood pressure medication and go off the pill" to one, not to the other.

that is how doctoring works.

she's just going "but this diagnose can't be right, because I said so"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    one of our friends got mad at her boyfriend this weekend for not having more black friends.

it was really strange.

tumblr

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

BRO DO YOU EVEN CURL?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

you've obviously never watched the Brazillian womens beach vollyball team play

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    ugh, i just can't with folgers instant coffee anymore. especially without half and half.
    @dynagrip

why do you do this

what have i done to you

idgi

y u commit coffee sacrilege

i have kongsberg things. are those ok?

i dont know what that is i googled and only found the norweigan defense contractor

they also have an oil and gas division and they make subsea cameras and stuff.

how did this come up from coffee

poo
  • Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Is this true?

No WONDER I dislike football so much.

This seems like a stretch

DirecTV does these NFL Short Cut things where they clip a game down into 30 minutes by just splicing together actual play footage and even then they often end up skipping some plays to fit the 30 minute window. 11 minutes seems pretty off.

But they probably also show the parts where the players line up and what not. I assume this is only taking into account once each play actually starts.

No they pretty much show snap to tackle with maybe 1-2 seconds on either end so the viewer isn't totally disoriented.

After more thought and looking at more numbers the 11min seems pretty accurate.

So there may be something you aren't considering.

Well like I said they add a few seconds on either end so that it isn't totally jarring. I guess that adds up over 140 plays or so.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I know the common perception is that the pads in an NFL game make the players safe, but they also facilitate ridiculous tackles that would kill people without them.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Which I guess is true in most cases? Like, as a white dude I am privileged in pretty much all my human interactions and mostly because people who are not white or are not dudes have to deal with Bullshit.

And I originally intended to say something like 'health does not recognize your unprivileged status, it just is' but couldn't find a way to word that in a manner that made it agnostic to healthcare because yeah doctors are humans and studies show that I'd get better and more comprehensive treatment even controlling for socioeconomic factors (though you wouldn't want to because, hey, intersectionalism).

So I guess the strongest statement that I can make is that the Tumblr person in question might be dealing with institutions that are sometimes guilty of pathologizing the Other and while her physician's diagnosis of high blood pressure might be an inaccurate one and that inaccuracy might be due to some bias against fat people BUT that one should generally take the advice of medical professionals and there is generally the option to get a second opinion. Making a Tumblr post ain't never resolved someone's prescription medication dilemma.

the bias isn't the... "wrong" kind of bias. Thin privilege? Less chance of cardiovascular problems, or risk of diabetes.

which is why a doctor would be more likely to think someone overweight's blood pressure might be worrying.

argh, fucking tumblr.

Well we can't know the whole situation, but I imagine that there is a nonzero amount of bullshit that fat people have to deal with that thin people don't, and that this bullshit does extend into medical practice. That doesn't speak to the veracity nor the efficacy of this Tumbling, but I don't think it's a controversial statement.

Being fat isn't an immutable characteristic though and bitching about the oppressing privilege of doctors and retailers might be keeping them from recognizing that their weight isn't healthy and they should probably eat less/exercise moar.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    @desc

have u ever investigated any of the war art coming out of the italian-austraian front in the dolomites in ww1?

there is some fantastic stuff by people like albin egger-lienz and ernst nepo

if u can find strada della fricca or monte pasubio by nepo they are truly gorgeous paintings of that particular type of tirolean landscaep

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »

you've obviously never watched the Brazillian womens beach vollyball team play

just endless footage of tanned goddesses pulling their swimsuits out their asscracks

*mops brow*

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    i think rugby is a fake game that only exists to keep guys with no necks from having too much pent up aggression

no rugby is real

cricket is the one we made up to fuck you with you guys

Who would get the worst of it... a rugby player who suddenly had pads on and was getting hit like in the NFL, or an NFL player with no pads getting hit like they do in rugby?

Get a guy like JJ Watt I mean, since rugby is populated entirely with guys who could be tight ends and linebackers.

Do you think they would have as easy a time with it if they had a guy like Moreno bear down on them full blast?

no rugby is real

Who would get the worst of it... a rugby player who suddenly had pads on and was getting hit like in the NFL, or an NFL player with no pads getting hit like they do in rugby?

Get a guy like JJ Watt I mean, since rugby is populated entirely with guys who could be tight ends and linebackers.

Do you think they would have as easy a time with it if they had a guy like Moreno bear down on them full blast?

Rugby folks grab each others balls and squeeze to get them to drop the ball. I have a feeling they could stand up to a football player.

Counterpoint, most football players are smart enough to wear a cup. This isn't accidental. I had a number of defensive players give me a cup check on the field. And I gave out some of my own.

• Options
    I know the common perception is that the pads in an NFL game make the players safe, but they also facilitate ridiculous tackles that would kill people without them.

Have you tried tackling someone without pads?

It's fun when you are in middle school and the strength to weight ratios are pretty minor

But I played a game of tackle with some high school friends and holy shit you were not making any head on tackles without breaking something

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2013
    knave dost thou even hoist

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    @Eddy way to Bro? bro. <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

no rugby is real

no rugby is real

Rugby folks grab each others balls and squeeze to get them to drop the ball. I have a feeling they could stand up to a football player.

Counterpoint, most football players are smart enough to wear a cup. This isn't accidental. I had a number of defensive players give me a cup check on the field. And I gave out some of my own.

watching americans argue about rugby is fascinating

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I honestly think rugby people would be caught off guard by nfl players just because of their speed. They aren't just 6'4 250 pound animals, they are fast as shit

I remember seeing some clip of an American tearing up rugby because he was just so much faster than everyone else

To be fair, with the amount of money involved in the NFL they are naturally going to attract better athletes. What does the best rugby player in the world make?

I would be interested if an NFL player could keep up with a rugby player for a full game, I have little doubt that they are faster over a shorter period. I mean, I'm sure football players do a ton of conditioning and certainly would keep pace with all but the highest level dudes for a full game, but I don't know that they could maintain their pace that long. I think counting only time of actual play Rugby is a little over twice as long as football and I believe you play offense and defense, they may do shifts and substitutions like hockey, not sure.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

no rugby is real

no rugby is real

I've punched/been punched in dogpiles more often than I'd like to mention. When they run the ball up the middle, its a fucking brawl in that pileup of dudes.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    hah, there's a FAQ, one question comparing it to smoking. Which, well, her refutation is largely cool there.

but, y'know, there's one place being fat is just like smoking: the doctor's office.

if your doctor says "you need to stop smoking it's not healthy" or "you need to lose weight this isn't healthy" you can't go THIN PRIVILEGE

because the doctor can go, yeah, turns out it's not healthy. Sucks. You still need to lose weight considering your family history.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    @desc

have u ever investigated any of the war art coming out of the italian-austraian front in the dolomites in ww1?

there is some fantastic stuff by people like albin egger-lienz and ernst nepo

if u can find strada della fricca or monte pasubio by nepo they are truly gorgeous paintings of that particular type of tirolean landscaep

Googling!

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    On my football team if you were wearing a cup and others realized, you were likely getting a ball thrown at it when you weren't paying attention

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

It's fun when you are in middle school and the strength to weight ratios are pretty minor

But I played a game of tackle with some high school friends and holy shit you were not making any head on tackles without breaking something

Yes. It hurts.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Is this true?

No WONDER I dislike football so much.

This seems like a stretch

DirecTV does these NFL Short Cut things where they clip a game down into 30 minutes by just splicing together actual play footage and even then they often end up skipping some plays to fit the 30 minute window. 11 minutes seems pretty off.

But they probably also show the parts where the players line up and what not. I assume this is only taking into account once each play actually starts.

No they pretty much show snap to tackle with maybe 1-2 seconds on either end so the viewer isn't totally disoriented.

After more thought and looking at more numbers the 11min seems pretty accurate.

So there may be something you aren't considering.

Well like I said they add a few seconds on either end so that it isn't totally jarring. I guess that adds up over 140 plays or so.

And if the average play is 4 seconds that still only makes for 9.33 minutes!

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    one of our friends got mad at her boyfriend this weekend for not having more black friends.

it was really strange.

i...

unless he has lines of black people coming up to him offering friendship and he's turning them away

this is possibly the dumbest thing to be mad about

it really is. we live in cambridge and are tech professionals - everyone we meet in our day to day are college grad white, asian, indian or sometimes hispanic. i guess i've been pals with haitian and ethiopian dudes, but i'm sure those don't really count in her reckoning. it has to be working class african-americans.

she's quite young and from a mixed & housing stabilized part of brooklyn, so i think she's just homesick. it's still annoying to me in a way that i can't completely get my head around.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    knave dost thou even hoist

Soft nobleman hands lmao

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I actually found Rugby to be one of the few sports that I could enjoy watching. I like the constant movement of the ball and lack of downs. And watching a bunch of guys who look like norse gods shove each other around was crazy.

But I'll be straight with ya. The first game I ever saw was in a bar and it had the All Blacks. I knew I would like it as soon as they did the Haka.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

I would be interested if an NFL player could keep up with a rugby player for a full game, I have little doubt that they are faster over a shorter period. I mean, I'm sure football players do a ton of conditioning and certainly would keep pace with all but the highest level dudes for a full game, but I don't know that they could maintain their pace that long. I think counting only time of actual play Rugby is a little over twice as long as football and I believe you play offense and defense, they may do shifts and substitutions like hockey, not sure.

I would be interested to see an NFL team play a rugby team in rugby and football.

Im guessing there would be no fewer than 3 hospitalizations on the Rugby team.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

argh, fucking tumblr.

Being fat isn't an immutable characteristic though and bitching about the oppressing privilege of doctors and retailers might be keeping them from recognizing that their weight isn't healthy and they should probably eat less/exercise moar.

True, although there has been some interesting data to come out of the Fat Acceptance \ Health at Any Size movement.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

no rugby is real

no rugby is real

Same for Europeans and American football

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

it was really strange.

tumblr

she is semi-active in the internet social justice thing and a frequent consumer of jezebel and prob a few others. tho she concedes that a good portion of their stuff is manufactured outrage bullshit she still reads it.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    wats wrong wit a cup

i wore a cup during jits

aint want my balls smushed

poo
  • Options

Yes. It hurts.

is legit
    can confirm
    #PostMatchesAv

• Options

it was really strange.

i...

unless he has lines of black people coming up to him offering friendship and he's turning them away

this is possibly the dumbest thing to be mad about

it really is. we live in cambridge and are tech professionals - everyone we meet in our day to day are college grad white, asian, indian or sometimes hispanic. i guess i've been pals with haitian and ethiopian dudes, but i'm sure those don't really count in her reckoning. it has to be working class african-americans.

she's quite young and from a mixed & housing stabilized part of brooklyn, so i think she's just homesick. it's still annoying to me in a way that i can't completely get my head around.

it's probably the implicit assumption that he isn't friends with black people by choice and is therefore engaging in 'cism

it’s never nice to be accused of ‘cism

• Options
    Noooo Derrick Rose out for rest of season

That sucks

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

it was really strange.

tumblr

she is semi-active in the internet social justice thing and a frequent consumer of jezebel and prob a few others. tho she concedes that a good portion of their stuff is manufactured outrage bullshit she still reads it.

sometimes I am glad all of my friends are super apolitical / non-activist

• Options

no rugby is real

no rugby is real

Same for Europeans and American football

i know nothing about it

except that it is apparently 50 minutes of adverts

This discussion has been closed.