black and white [chat]

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Also the kid's parents should be slapped in the face three times just because it would make me feel better.

This I am okay with.

But I don't understand the end goal of prison as it stands. Turning people who make a mistake (Such as drinking and driving) into hardened criminals with a chip on their shoulder only works if the intention is every crime carries with it indefinite prison sentences.

Yes our criminal justice system is a travesty

Maybe it wouldn't be such a travesty if people of means were subject to it

No, it wouldn't be a travesty if people weren't so hellbent and extracting their pound of flesh. Almost nobody gives a shit about victims. They pay lip service to the victims of crime and then do everything in their power to ensure criminals are more likely to commit even more brutal acts. What people care about is the satisfaction that comes with 'comeuppins' and 'just desserts' and 'punishment should fit the crime' horseshit.

Saying I think the 16 year old rich kid should get a decade in prison for his crime is not an endorsement of our prison system, it would be great if nobody got sent to prison in cases like this (rehab/counseling/never able to drive again/some loss of liberty/etc)

But I'm pretty sure having a judicial system set up around locking up and throwing away the key for poors and sending rich people home without their supper is antithetical to everything this country was founded on. I'm saying if you're going to do it for one group you should do it for the other

And yet people were decrying this sentence long before anyone found a comparable case that resulted in prison time. Maybe the assumption was that he's getting probation and treatment because he's rich, but I seriously doubt there's a significant number of people calling for this kid's blood just because it would make the system 'fair'.

Man my neighbor spent longer in jail for being unable to pay the birthing costs for his daughter, six months, than this guy got for robbing four people of their lives by doing something that even a sixteen year old knows is wrong

I didn't need to look to know his sentence was bullshit based on the standards applied to others. Christ my brother got longer for just a regular DUI without even getting an accident!

override367 on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    We were sent a guide demonstrating protocol for unloading container shipments

This slide makes me smile:

cargo.png

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wait a minute. Are you guys saying that case of the 16 year old in Texas murdering my coworker was a case of the legal system being slanted against Hispanics / in favor of white people?

That fucking kid deserved every year sentenced to him, and my personal attachment to the victim (even if it wasn't too close) makes me feel like he deserves more (but that's my emotions flying wild). Drunk driving is fucking stupid and we need to come down on it like a motherfucker in this country.

Henroid, I get what you're saying, and I'm sorry that this happened, it was unjust and should never have occurred, but you just said he 'murdered' your co-worker. If you're claiming that he targeted her and intended to kill her, then you're not rational. If you don't mean that, then take a step back for just a moment and think about what the end result of what you're saying will be.

He killed four people while in the commission of a crime

Murdered isn't too much of an exaggeration!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Also the kid's parents should be slapped in the face three times just because it would make me feel better.

This I am okay with.

But I don't understand the end goal of prison as it stands. Turning people who make a mistake (Such as drinking and driving) into hardened criminals with a chip on their shoulder only works if the intention is every crime carries with it indefinite prison sentences.

Yes our criminal justice system is a travesty

Maybe it wouldn't be such a travesty if people of means were subject to it

No, it wouldn't be a travesty if people weren't so hellbent and extracting their pound of flesh. Almost nobody gives a shit about victims. They pay lip service to the victims of crime and then do everything in their power to ensure criminals are more likely to commit even more brutal acts. What people care about is the satisfaction that comes with 'comeuppins' and 'just desserts' and 'punishment should fit the crime' horseshit.

Saying I think the 16 year old rich kid should get a decade in prison for his crime is not an endorsement of our prison system, it would be great if nobody got sent to prison in cases like this (rehab/counseling/never able to drive again/some loss of liberty/etc)

But I'm pretty sure having a judicial system set up around locking up and throwing away the key for poors and sending rich people home without their supper is antithetical to everything this country was founded on. I'm saying if you're going to do it for one group you should do it for the other

And yet people were decrying this sentence long before anyone found a comparable case that resulted in prison time. Maybe the assumption was that he's getting probation and treatment because he's rich, but I seriously doubt there's a significant number of people calling for this kid's blood just because it would make the system 'fair'.

most of my outrage stems from the unfairness of it, yes. it's disparate treatment of rich and poor.

how much jail someone should get for vehicular homicide is another discussion, for me.

Perhaps there's only a few people who agree with me then. I outraged at the unfairness of racial bias and wealth disparity, but that's a different argument that is about prejudice, not the application of justice. Our very approach to crime and punishment is wildly out of control and there is so much hatred for criminals of all types that attempting reform is the fastest way to ending a political career. We could have a truly blind justice system and it would still be just as ineffective because of that.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD THIS GIF IS AMAZING

Also, it's like 8MB

but it is required viewing

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i'm having trouble parsing what that slide is trying to tell me

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I don't think attempting reform is nearly as toxic as it used to be

So what you're saying is we should be content that he got what all people in similar circumstances SHOULD get, and not feel any outrage or anything?

What is your point Nova? While I think calling for the kid's head on a spike is the wrong move, I think calling for the judge's head on a spike (METAPHORICALLY) isn't too crazy, and the whole Texas judicial system while we're at it

override367 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wait a minute. Are you guys saying that case of the 16 year old in Texas murdering my coworker was a case of the legal system being slanted against Hispanics / in favor of white people?

That fucking kid deserved every year sentenced to him, and my personal attachment to the victim (even if it wasn't too close) makes me feel like he deserves more (but that's my emotions flying wild). Drunk driving is fucking stupid and we need to come down on it like a motherfucker in this country.

Henroid, I get what you're saying, and I'm sorry that this happened, it was unjust and should never have occurred, but you just said he 'murdered' your co-worker. If you're claiming that he targeted her and intended to kill her, then you're not rational. If you don't mean that, then take a step back for just a moment and think about what the end result of what you're saying will be.

It's not 1st degree murder, but any time a drunk driver gets behind the wheel, they may as well go "I'm out to murder someone." I mean seriously there is zero excuse for drunk driving.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The 14 year old goth kid in me really likes the opening to american horror story season 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »

If cargo is stack up irrationally do not discharge

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Was going to hit Toronto this weekend, but trip is cancelled due to snowstorm

Can't say I'm sad that I no longer have to get up at 6 and I can stay at the office party tonight until people are drunk enough to make bad decisions.

• Options

It's not 1st degree murder, but any time a drunk driver gets behind the wheel, they may as well go "I'm out to murder someone." I mean seriously there is zero excuse for drunk driving.

Or talking a cell phone while driving. Or texting while driving. Or driving while tired. Or driving while on medication.

And yet people do these things. And people have died because of people doing these things.

Is everyone who talks on a cell phone in their car intending to murder someone?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

the term "murder" usually implies premeditation

vehicular homicide is almost always charged as manslaughter, which does not require premeditation

/semantics hth

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »

if you looked I bet you'd find a lot more

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i feel bad for everyone ever including drunk drivers

• Options
    Oh, huzzah, an ongoing shooting situation at a high school 10 miles from Columbine is a thing that's happening right now

• Options
    I don't think attempting reform is nearly as toxic as it used to be

So what you're saying is we should be content that he got what all people in similar circumstances SHOULD get, and not feel any outrage or anything?

What is your point Nova? While I think calling for the kid's head on a spike is the wrong move, I think calling for the judge's head on a spike (METAPHORICALLY) isn't too crazy, and the whole Texas judicial system while we're at it

That IF this kid is remanded to a treatment facility then that is the BEST POSSIBLE OUTCOME. We should be encouraging more of that, not less.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    oops

So It Goes on
  • Options
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    a
    Cinders wrote: »

if you looked I bet you'd find a lot more

I just remembered this case off the top of my head.

• Options
    edited December 2013

vehicular homicide is almost always charged as manslaughter, which does not require premeditation

/semantics hth

Killing four people while driving with the blood alcohol level he was often has the prosecutor seek felony murder

You can google it, you'll notice however that most of the names of the defendants are hispanic

override367 on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

oh ok

discharge stack up cargo if only rational

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    As bearer of bad news.

Another school shooting here in Colorado. Was at Arapahoe High School. The gunman is down but I have heard much more than that as they evacuate the school.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/police-paramedics-called-to-arapahoe-high-school

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular

Well hell, what am I going to do with this shipment of pies then?

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Something bothers me about sequels to Friday the 13th. So everyone knows that Crystal Lake is fucked every Friday the 13th. Why not just clear the damn place out on those days?

• Options

/semantics hth

Killing four people while driving with the blood alcohol level he was often has the prosecutor seek felony murder

You can google it, you'll notice however that most of the names of the defendants are hispanic

yeah felony murder is a weird stupid beast

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    As a general rule I prefer treatment in drug and alcohol related cases rather than harsh prison sentences. I did however object the characterization that the kid had the book thrown at him and it was the law's fault his sentence was light.

• Options
    mrflippy wrote: »

Well hell, what am I going to do with this shipment of pies then?

bravo, sir

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    oops

He just wanted to be an artist.

Society made him what he was.

• Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular

Or talking a cell phone while driving. Or texting while driving. Or driving while tired. Or driving while on medication.

And yet people do these things. And people have died because of people doing these things.

Uhh the kid got off because he had rich parents and his defense attorneys made the argument that because he was rich he never knew it was wrong to drink and drive.

The kid deserves four manslaughter charges and jail time. A 16 year old with no prior convictions who thinks he can get away with everything because he has money, then gets away with killing four people while driving drunkenly underage because he has money and the defense attorneys to make up a bullshit excuse like that, does not need treatment- he needs jail time.

• Options

Uhh the kid got off because he had rich parents and his defense attorneys made the argument that because he was rich he never knew it was wrong to drink and drive.

The kid deserves four manslaughter charges and jail time. A 16 year old with no prior convictions who thinks he can get away with everything because he has money, then gets away with killing four people while driving drunkenly underage because he has money and the defense attorneys to make up a bullshit excuse like that, does not need treatment- he needs jail time.

And in this case for deterrence

Like that's not the point of sentencing in a lot of cases, but for drunk driving laws it really is for deterrence, and it really has made a difference

What we're saying here is "if you're wealthy the worst case is your parents will lose a lot of money"

• Options
    can you set up google voice for a landline?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

They're not aware of it yet. It's why I support laws cracking down on that shit.

Remember the girl in San Francisco playing with her music playlist and ran over a dude, killing him, and only got a $1000 fine and then cried on MySpace about people being mean to her? Fuck her.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Not sure what you need specifically but I have google voice forward to my landline

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    g912d21ae.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2013

So, 1) You're quoting a post where I'm trying to figure out why some accidents make people murderers and others just make them ....something else?

And 2) At some point this kid would be released from prison, yes? Would the person released from prison at that time be more or less likely to victimize more people than the person released from a treatment facility?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    i want a new suit and also i want to tailor my old suit

Get a new suit and take both to the tailor!

TREAT
    YO
    SELF

yes

well

sadly at the moment my bank account is very low as i've been spending like a moron, and i have other priorities (gift for mom bday, new snowboarding boots, maybe a vape, money for thailand). maybe if i have time in thailand i will get a suit there, though i won't be in any one place too long.

poo
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    holy fuck I'm tired

I wish caffeine pills were legal in Canada

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

Not sure what you need specifically but I have google voice forward to my landline

basically I like the feature where it emails when you get a voicemail

not sure if you can set that up with a landline

This discussion has been closed.