Options

[Android: Netrunner] Creating and Controlling since 2012

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Yeah, I know Hokusai. He's also the inventor of tentacle sex, no? With the giant octopus and the fisherman's wife or something.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The decks I will be playing today, not using card links or anything because I don't know how to do that, etc.

Haas Bioroid: Custom Biotics
    3x Oversight AI
    3x Bioroid Efficiency Research
    3x Melange Mining Corp.
    3x Hedge Fund
    3x Green Level Clearance
    3x Adonis Campaign
    2x Jackson Howard
    2x Director Haas
    3x Howler
    2x Eli 1.0
    2x Hadrian's Wall
    1x Archer
    2x Janus 1.0
    2x Flare
    2x Wotan
    2x Heimdall 2.0
    3x Tollbooth
    3x Viktor 1.0
    3x Priority Requisition
    3x Accelerated Beta Test
    3x Mandatory Upgrades
    1x Director Haas' Pet Project

54 cards, 22 agenda points. I like running a slightly bigger deck with Jackson Howard in the mix, as it allows me to not have to worry so much about Noise.

Reina Roja
    3x Liberated Account
    3x Dirty Laundry
    3x Sure Gamble
    2x Kati Jones
    3x Datasucker
    3x Deja Vu
    3x Imp
    2x Same Old Thing
    2x Atman
    2x Nerve Agent (debating taking one of these out*)
    2x Medium (*and going to 3 Medium)
    2x Djinn
    2x Rook
    2x Special Order
    2x Doppelganger
    2x Mimic
    1x Corroder
    1x Yog.0
    1x Morningstar
    1x Ice Carver
    1x Xanadu
    1x Deus X
    1x John Masanori

I went 4-0 with that runner list last week running Toolbox instead of Doppelganger, but it never mattered because I never drew any consoles. I have no idea if John Masanori is any good or not because I've never fucking drawn the dude, but he doesn't seem terrible. May have to just take it out for a plascrete or something, not sure, our meta is weird.

three imps, no aesops and no parasites?

Why would I want to run a 4 influence (Aesop's) card in a deck with 2 Atman and 2 off-identity consoles? As the deck stands, the two special orders are the only thing I've got going for me as far as getting a specific breaker early without spending all my clicks drawing cards, so I also have to run those.

As for Parasite, I've never given a shit about it. The effect is...okay, and obviously it gets better with Datasucker, but they're just not necessary. This deck is more about having good action economy and forcing the corp to have poor action economy, so burning clicks to get a parasite onto a piece of ICE when I'm just planning on winning faster isn't really conducive toward operational goals.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Yeah, I know Hokusai. He's also the inventor of tentacle sex, no? With the giant octopus and the fisherman's wife or something.

I don't know if he is the inventor, but he drew one of the most famous early examples of it.
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ooh! Can we get any pronunciation guides?

Japanese pronunciation is pretty straight forward, as sounds are generally the same regardless of what else is next to them, unlike say English. Your best bet would probably be to find a good resource online for pronunciation, because it's quite simple once you know it. Like, the "i" will sound the exact same in all of those words: jinteki, himitsu, hokusai, midori, nisei, ronin, sensei, tsurugi, zaibatsu. The "i" in all of those words are the same sound.

Once you know it pronunciation is the easiest part of Japanese.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    The decks I will be playing today, not using card links or anything because I don't know how to do that, etc.

3x Oversight AI
    3x Melange Mining Corp.
    3x Hedge Fund
    3x Green Level Clearance
    3x Adonis Campaign
    2x Jackson Howard
    2x Director Haas
    3x Howler
    2x Eli 1.0
    2x Hadrian's Wall
    1x Archer
    2x Janus 1.0
    2x Flare
    2x Wotan
    2x Heimdall 2.0
    3x Tollbooth
    3x Viktor 1.0
    3x Priority Requisition
    3x Accelerated Beta Test
    3x Mandatory Upgrades

54 cards, 22 agenda points. I like running a slightly bigger deck with Jackson Howard in the mix, as it allows me to not have to worry so much about Noise.

Reina Roja
    3x Liberated Account
    3x Dirty Laundry
    3x Sure Gamble
    2x Kati Jones
    3x Datasucker
    3x Deja Vu
    3x Imp
    2x Same Old Thing
    2x Atman
    2x Djinn
    2x Rook
    2x Special Order
    2x Doppelganger
    2x Mimic
    1x Corroder
    1x Yog.0
    1x Morningstar
    1x Ice Carver
    1x Xanadu
    1x Deus X
    1x John Masanori

I went 4-0 with that runner list last week running Toolbox instead of Doppelganger, but it never mattered because I never drew any consoles. I have no idea if John Masanori is any good or not because I've never fucking drawn the dude, but he doesn't seem terrible. May have to just take it out for a plascrete or something, not sure, our meta is weird.

Why would I want to run a 4 influence (Aesop's) card in a deck with 2 Atman and 2 off-identity consoles? As the deck stands, the two special orders are the only thing I've got going for me as far as getting a specific breaker early without spending all my clicks drawing cards, so I also have to run those.

As for Parasite, I've never given a shit about it. The effect is...okay, and obviously it gets better with Datasucker, but they're just not necessary. This deck is more about having good action economy and forcing the corp to have poor action economy, so burning clicks to get a parasite onto a piece of ICE when I'm just planning on winning faster isn't really conducive toward operational goals.

Aesop's is two influence

I'm just curious what your reasoning was behind using three imps

I've never seen anyone use more than one or two, especially since you've also got djinn so you're basically guaranteed to have access to imp whenever you really need it with just one or two

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I am listening to the Breaking News podcast

they are pronouncing janus and scheherezade as "YAY-nus" and "sher-AD-zay" and it's driving me fucking insane

I live in Japan. I have just accepted at this point that I will wince everytime someone talks about Jinteki cards.

I seem to remember there being something cool going on with the name Jinteki itself. Something like meaning two different things that were both thematically relevant to the corp.

Like, cloning and deceit or something.

yeah they talk about this in one of the Terminal 7 podcasts

they claim it means something like "false human" or close to it, which works in a lot of ways

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Yes, the term inventor was somewhat facetious.

But also you guys, do you realize that this new reaction button means Vanilla is a subsidiary of NBN?!?

g0548fd93.png

So raven.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    If I wasn't going for a theme, that'd be my avatar until this contest is over. Someone else can have it. :)

And yeah. I took Japanese for 3 semesters. Forgotten almost all of it, but the phonetics never seemed to hard.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

they are pronouncing janus and scheherezade as "YAY-nus" and "sher-AD-zay" and it's driving me fucking insane

I live in Japan. I have just accepted at this point that I will wince everytime someone talks about Jinteki cards.

I seem to remember there being something cool going on with the name Jinteki itself. Something like meaning two different things that were both thematically relevant to the corp.

they claim it means something like "false human" or close to it, which works in a lot of ways

I think that is the next podcast I have from them to listen to, someone in the comments breaks down the kanji and says it is unlikely that a native speaker would come to the conclusions they are, and then one of the Terminal 7 guys (I think?) replied saying that yeah, it was mostly just fun theorizing.

• Options

I think that is the next podcast I have from them to listen to, someone in the comments breaks down the kanji and says it is unlikely that a native speaker would come to the conclusions they are, and then one of the Terminal 7 guys (I think?) replied saying that yeah, it was mostly just fun theorizing.

Ah ok, lame. I think that was my source for it.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The comment on the Terminal 7 podcast in particular...
    As a Japanese speaker, I just wanted to maybe clear up that anecdote about Jinteki's name.

Jinteki (人的) is a compound word, made of two kanji, The first, 人, meaning 'person', and the second, 的, meaning 'of, or relating to'. So when the two halves are put together, the dictionary definition of the word is 'personal' or 'human', as in human resources, or human error. It is possible, should you really want to stretch the meaning by breaking the word back down to its constituent parts, to read jinteki as... 'humanish', I suppose. I suspect a native wouldn't necessarily make the same leap, though I could be wrong, but as your friend points out, it would be damn cool if the naming was intentional. On the whole the use of Japanese words in the game is pretty good! All the names sound like actual plausible names at least!

So, more to the point, apparently 'haas' is is Dutch/German for 'hare'. Any rabbity-themed ice coming up?

Oh jeez, I actually intended to write that as a (poor) joke but just realised the Germanic origins of the company name must be why they use the name "Wotan" rather than "Odin". That's pretty rad.

I asked a Japanese friend of mine about it, too. She thought about it for a bit, and then basically said that sure it could kinda mean that, but it'd very rarely be used to say that because there are better ways to do that. Regardless, she thinks it's a pretty solid name for what the corp's theme is, but that they could've changed it slightly to have the really neat meaning more apparent.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Another thing about Jinteki and Haas-Bioroid is I'm pretty sure they're meant to evoke Hosaka and Maas-Biolabs, the two rival companies in Gibson's Count Zero.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    Another thing about Jinteki and Haas-Bioroid is I'm pretty sure they're meant to evoke Hosaka and Maas-Biolabs, the two rival companies in Gibson's Count Zero.

Yeah, Netrunner definitely has some nice callbacks to its cyberpunk roots. Which is why Jinteki is a Japanese company and not say, a Chinese company, because when cyberpunk was becoming a thing everyone still thought it was Japan that was going to be taking over the world.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Went 1-5 at the tournament today. Not unexpected since I pretty much decided to make these decks yesterday, but still...if I want to keep them, they need edits.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    You know, I need to go back and look at some cards, but I might try throwing together a deck with all the original Netrunner cards I've got sitting around and see how it fares against a A:NR deck.

EDIT: LOL, I forgot "Please Don't Choke Anyone" was a agenda.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    All I know about the original Netrunner is that there is a card called "I got a rock" that does 15 meat damage.

I want it.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know, I need to go back and look at some cards, but I might try throwing together a deck with all the original Netrunner cards I've got sitting around and see how it fares against a A:NR deck.

EDIT: LOL, I forgot "Please Don't Choke Anyone" was a agenda.

Please Don't Choke Anyone is not only hilarious but actually seems really good.

• Options
    As unideal as this is I am pretty much going to have to use OCTGN if I am going to be able to play this game with any consistency while I live in Japan.

Anyone got a link to a good tutorial or video?

The OP says I should bug @Tayrun about this.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I just threw together a ... very weird deck. I have a feeling this would crash and burn on first play, because there aren't enough programs to be consistant and I've got WAY too much money wrapped up in it...

The idea was to make a deck that actually made it affordable to run doubles, while simultaneously pushing the corp to get as much bad publicity as possible. Strangely, that second option kind of faded, as Blackmail and some other key cards aren't present yet. The other problem I ran into was that the engine is way too card intensive.

Anyone want to look over this and tell me their thoughts?

I know it's ungodly low on programs - I don't have the influence to get good ones, or ones that I'm happy with. Surprisingly, it doesn't have any of the standard tricks, either. I think it's going to be too slow in actual play, which isn't right for Andromeda. This will likely be OCTGN tested before too long.

(Also I forgot to log into cardgamedb, so I can't save it.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I just threw together a ... very weird deck. I have a feeling this would crash and burn on first play, because there aren't enough programs to be consistant and I've got WAY too much money wrapped up in it...

The idea was to make a deck that actually made it affordable to run doubles, while simultaneously pushing the corp to get as much bad publicity as possible. Strangely, that second option kind of faded, as Blackmail and some other key cards aren't present yet. The other problem I ran into was that the engine is way too card intensive.

Anyone want to look over this and tell me their thoughts?

I know it's ungodly low on programs - I don't have the influence to get good ones, or ones that I'm happy with. Surprisingly, it doesn't have any of the standard tricks, either. I think it's going to be too slow in actual play, which isn't right for Andromeda. This will likely be OCTGN tested before too long.

(Also I forgot to log into cardgamedb, so I can't save it.)

A) Never run snowball, it's strictly worse than corroder except for influence concerns. For eureka u should be running morningstar.
    B) Never run eureka. There's not enough things it helps in a single faction to make it worthwhile, and pulling in out of faction cards for it means you'll only have 1 copy, which isn't enough. You have special order to retrieve your icebreakers, which is good, because with 1 copy you need heavy tutoring, but once you special order them you can't eureka. Eureka's unplayable right now.
    C) Account siphon would play very nicely with lawyer up.
    D) Why's aesop in here? I don't think you have enough targets for it to be worth it.
    E) Why's Raymond Flint in here? He doesn't seem to synergize with anything.

If you remove eureka, motivation, torch, and snowball, and run something like garrote x2, corroder x2, gordian blade x2, you've largely fixed your icebreaker problem, especially if you throw Mr. Li in there as a target for Hostage. Then you might get rid of the special orders. Account Siphon is an amazing target for Same Old Thing, so I'd throw three of those in there for sure. Maybe vamps, too, depending on your influence situation? Then you've got 3+ events draining their funds, which makes running interference hurt even more - it will take ages for them to get enough money to rez their ice, and then once they have it, you still get in for free.

If you want more targets for Hostage, I'd heavily consider Underworld Contact and Decoy. Both benefit from having more than one, and both replace other things in your deck (or rather, that should be in your deck, since you're running without scorched-earth protection). Underworld Contact needs some link, but if you have mr. li you don't have to devote too many cards to getting that link. Alternatively, Compromised Employee is just an excellent card. Though it clashes slightly with the idea of ice denial.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Aesop's is there to turn off starlight when I'm done with it.

The flint was part of the original plan to force bad pub on the Corp, but I realized that a double that also... wait.

I need to read something. One sec.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Damnit. Frame job's wording doesn't list forefiting an agenda as an additional cost. So much for that awesome combo.

So yeah. Raymond flint is probably dead weight at ths point.

Also, I disagree on the Eureka. 3 credits, that can be reduced with prepaid voicePADs, and with Starlight taking care of the extra click... and most of my stuff being expensive? It works out pretty well. I would prefer to team it with test run or something that lets me organize my deck, though. But I don't think it is a bad card when you are running a lot of expensive stuff.

Athenor on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Finally played a few games with the core set after an Arkham Horror run, was super enjoyable.

What would be the recommended expansions to grab to start some basic deckbuilding?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular

Yeah, Netrunner definitely has some nice callbacks to its cyberpunk roots. Which is why Jinteki is a Japanese company and not say, a Chinese company, because when cyberpunk was becoming a thing everyone still thought it was Japan that was going to be taking over the world.

Got the Android boardgame and saw "Strugatsky Apartments". Nearly fucking died from sheer joy.

• Options
    Finally played a few games with the core set after an Arkham Horror run, was super enjoyable.

What would be the recommended expansions to grab to start some basic deckbuilding?

It really comes down to what factions you like, honestly.

The first data pack, What Lies Ahead, is probably a safe enough starting point if you don't have a favorite faction as it adds new agendas for each corp, and agenda building is by far the most constrained aspect of deckbuilding in the coreset (in fact, your agendas are 100% locked in using only one core).

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    uhhh

cardgamedb seems to no longer let you save as an octgn deck?

sig.gif
  • Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    uhhh

cardgamedb seems to no longer let you save as an octgn deck?

Most likely it will come back. In the meantime, I offer this totally obvious conspiracy theory. Switch to Meteor, I guess.

Kaneski on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

3x Oversight AI
    3x Melange Mining Corp.
    3x Hedge Fund
    3x Green Level Clearance
    3x Adonis Campaign
    2x Jackson Howard
    2x Director Haas
    3x Howler
    2x Eli 1.0
    2x Hadrian's Wall
    1x Archer
    2x Janus 1.0
    2x Flare
    2x Wotan
    2x Heimdall 2.0
    3x Tollbooth
    3x Viktor 1.0
    3x Priority Requisition
    3x Accelerated Beta Test
    3x Mandatory Upgrades

Reina Roja
    3x Liberated Account
    3x Dirty Laundry
    3x Sure Gamble
    2x Kati Jones
    3x Datasucker
    3x Deja Vu
    3x Imp
    2x Same Old Thing
    2x Atman
    2x Djinn
    2x Rook
    2x Special Order
    2x Doppelganger
    2x Mimic
    1x Corroder
    1x Yog.0
    1x Morningstar
    1x Ice Carver
    1x Xanadu
    1x Deus X
    1x John Masanori

Aesop's is two influence

I'm just curious what your reasoning was behind using three imps

I've never seen anyone use more than one or two, especially since you've also got djinn so you're basically guaranteed to have access to imp whenever you really need it with just one or two

I run three Imps precisely because of what happened to me yesterday. I played 3 games as runner and lost all three because I never drew a Djinn, Imp or Datasucker. I drew both Katis every game, and just got completely cockblocked off my Atmans due to never drawing Datasuckers or Djinns. It's a matter of consistency.

Also, yeah, you're right, Aesop's is 2 influence, it's PWS that's 4, somehow got them mixed up. I don't need more economy in the deck, so Aesop's is just 2 influence for more of what I'm already okay with.

• Options
    sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Damnit. Frame job's wording doesn't list forefiting an agenda as an additional cost. So much for that awesome combo.

So yeah. Raymond flint is probably dead weight at ths point.

Also, I disagree on the Eureka. 3 credits, that can be reduced with prepaid voicePADs, and with Starlight taking care of the extra click... and most of my stuff being expensive? It works out pretty well. I would prefer to team it with test run or something that lets me organize my deck, though. But I don't think it is a bad card when you are running a lot of expensive stuff.

How's it working for you?

I tried that combo, but it was just too clunky to be worth it for me. Half the time the cards I wanted to use Eureka on were already in my hand. Using cheap but effective consoles and Test Run/Scavenging for Femme or some other expensive program has been infinitely more useful in Shaper decks. In Criminal if I'm gonna use that much influence while keeping my breaker suite tight I'll usually include a couple Self-Modifying Codes (for mid-run face-checking shenanigans) along with Special Order.

sartori on
  • Options
    so, Keyhole

keyhole is really, really good, y'all

• Options
    here's the reina roja deck I put together earlier tonight to take advantage of Keyhole
    Keyhole (46 cards)

Reina Roja: Freedom Fighter

Event (7)
    2 Deja Vu
    2 Hostage ••••
    3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (3)
    2 Grimoire
    1 Plascrete Carapace

Resource (14)
    1 Aesop's Pawnshop ••
    3 Armitage Codebusting
    3 Daily Casts
    2 Ice Carver
    2 Liberated Account
    1 Mr. Li ••
    2 Xanadu

Icebreaker (7)
    2 Corroder
    2 Mimic
    1 Sharpshooter
    2 Yog.0

Program (15)
    3 Datasucker
    3 Djinn
    2 Keyhole
    1 Medium
    1 Nerve Agent
    2 Parasite
    3 Sahasrara ••••• •

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

the only thing I'm not sure about is Sharpshooter (I haven't actually playtested it, the version I used earlier had a Crescentus instead but I didn't find myself using it and Parasite does almost the same thing)

it's mainly there to protect against a faceplanted Janus or the like

other things I considered using:
    Muresh Bodysuit
    Gorman Drip
    Net Shield

but I feel like Sharpshooter will probably get more use than any of those (except maybe Gorman)

I'm also considering working in Morning Star instead of Corroder, because I've been wanting to use it for awhile

but if I did that I think I'd also have to work in a Dyson or two

• Options
    How are you using the keyhole, out of curiosity?

Pitching agendas into the archives and running on that? Or just trying to trash the best cards the corp has?

Just curious.

Also how is Xanadu? Seems nice if you get it early but kind of butts otherwise.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    Yea, those click trackers are really handy for your first games, make sure to use them.

I still use click trackers, though I don't use the card anymore

I just put four tag tokens on the table and flip them as I go through my turn

That's exactly what I do. As long as you're consistent about flipping in the same way every time (I generally go left to right), I find it naturally intuitive in a way that strangely, advancing the little card never was to me. I'd often catch myself pondering "did I advance the token?" from the card, but flipping them as I click just sits better with me, even recognizing that they are essentially the same "do thing per click, remember to do thing" mechanic in a different form.

As for my ongoing Netrunner adventure, I've sorted out the core set, added in another half a core set (a buddy and I went halves on a third box between us to round out our "2 ofs" and split up the 11 "1 ofs") and the first cycle of data packs.

Now I need to actually construct some decks. I'm sort of torn between making faction specific decks (with minimal influence shuffling around, to see how they play out as is) or going for a more competitive set of builds. The extra advantage to this would be having cards see some use before they get tossed in a box forever (some of the less efficient icebreakers for example). Like, actually try out Peacock, despite believing that Gordian Blade is likely the better choice and use of influence.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Farangu wrote: »
    Yea, those click trackers are really handy for your first games, make sure to use them.

I still use click trackers, though I don't use the card anymore

I just put four tag tokens on the table and flip them as I go through my turn

That's exactly what I do. As long as you're consistent about flipping in the same way every time (I generally go left to right), I find it naturally intuitive in a way that strangely, advancing the little card never was to me. I'd often catch myself pondering "did I advance the token?" from the card, but flipping them as I click just sits better with me, even recognizing that they are essentially the same "do thing per click, remember to do thing" mechanic in a different form.

As for my ongoing Netrunner adventure, I've sorted out the core set, added in another half a core set (a buddy and I went halves on a third box between us to round out our "2 ofs" and split up the 11 "1 ofs") and the first cycle of data packs.

Now I need to actually construct some decks. I'm sort of torn between making faction specific decks (with minimal influence shuffling around, to see how they play out as is) or going for a more competitive set of builds. The extra advantage to this would be having cards see some use before they get tossed in a box forever (some of the less efficient icebreakers for example). Like, actually try out Peacock, despite believing that Gordian Blade is likely the better choice and use of influence.

That's because Gordian Blade is the better choice between those two. Any breaker that breaks subroutines for 1 cred is automatically more efficient than one that breaks subroutines for 2 creds.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Taught two more friends the game this afternoon. Had them play against each other while I adjudicated and explained all the rules, and they had fun I think! One of them was more interested in it overall than the other (and isn't moving back to the US in 4 months) so I played a game against him using the basic Shaper deck. He wanted to try Jinteki (he played with HB first off), so I put together the Jinteki deck I built that I think is pretty good for core + first datapack.

He destroyed me with it. I got a couple of agendas from a lucky run on R&D but the rest of the time he just red herring'd me off from his half-completed agendas or had ice types I couldn't quite afford to break through. I got really close later on after I got another icebreaker out but until then he just had a pretty solid amount of board control that I was struggling to really touch. It was kinda horrifying to get beat up so badly by my own deck.

• Options
    How are you using the keyhole, out of curiosity?

Pitching agendas into the archives and running on that? Or just trying to trash the best cards the corp has?

Just curious.

Also how is Xanadu? Seems nice if you get it early but kind of butts otherwise.

depends

if there's an agenda, I'll pitch that to archives and go grab it

if there's no agenda, I'll toss whatever is best for the corp

but if it's just a one-point agenda that doesn't do anything scary by itself (hostile takeover) and there's something else really nasty (scorched earth, midseasons, etc.) I'll probably let them shuffle the agenda back in

xanadu is....okay

it's one of those cards that's hard to quantify because what's useful about it is not the obvious thing, the fact that it costs the corp 3+ extra credits over the course of a game

it's the fact that, combined with reina's ability, the first ice rezzed each turn has a +2 cost, and this will occasionally prevent the corp from rezzing something scary entirely

but, I dunno. one of the guys I was playing with last night made the point that I don't have a reliable way to make the corp broke (account siphon, vamp) and without that, xanadu isn't doing that very often. so, I dunno. I may switch it out for those dysons and give morning star a shot instead of corroder.

• Options
    I always thought of Xanadu + Reina more as just incremental tax, didn't need to make the corp broke. Plus, in my deck I have both Xanadu and Rook, so that I've got more chances to get either one of those two earlier. Just Xanadu probably wouldn't do much.

• Options
    I had a couple rooks in an earlier version of this but I'm kinda over caissa in general right now

even with deep red they're just too click-intensive

I'll reconsider them if/when king and/or queen come out

• Options
    here's a decent critique of True Colors:

http://stimhack.com/the-truth-about-true-colors-card-ratings/

I think he's mostly spot on though his grading system is stupid (why use a 1-5 scale, all the numbers of which have specific meanings (outlined in earlier articles), if you're just going to split them in half and muddy the waters)

I do not agree with him about Fenris, though

it's ONLY good if it gets facechecked and nobody does that against jinteki. like, at all. ever. they will wait until they get out a mimic or a fem and then all your katanas and fenrises are basically slag. the reason you still use katanas is because it costs 3 to get through with fem and that's not a bad tax, and swordsman still has a place because some people are still running AI-heavy decks and running heavily before getting a killer on the table

the deck Fenris has a place in is HB FA, because it's cheap and it ends the run, and facechecking ice without programs is something everyone does because they assume they can click through the brain damage on viktor

• Options
    I really can't wait to start playing with a larger cardpool and with more people, I really need to get OCTGN set up.

Because it is really hard for me to evaluate cards and stuff right now.

Because like, I've only played core set. So I facecheck Jinteki ice early game, because, really, its not a big deal. I mean, worse comes to worse early on its a Neural Katana and I lose a few cards and I can draw back up. It won't kill it, it will make the corp spend money, it will give me knowledge. So, Fenris scares me, because its something the corp can get early that would hurt me for the rest of the game, being brain damage, unlike net damage.

But like, that is core set only. I am really, really excited to broaden my horizons.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Keyhole with Doppleganger is like really, really good, right? Keyhole and then immediately run Archives for free to pick up whatever you drop there?