As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DayZ Standalone] Early Access now available on Steam

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Last night was fun, but I can't wait until they get the inventory bugs worked out. @Trask , @Capsaicin and @Vedicintent were getting picked off by a sniper at the firehouse by the power plant in Elektro. I came in from the north with nothing but an axe, so after Cap and Vedic were picked off, Trask killed the sniper so there was a goddamn loot bounty there for me. The guy was totally loaded, there was nothing useless on him. The only food he had were bags of rice, and he had a pristine moisin with LR scope, bipod, two pistols, full camo gear, hunter backpack, and I think a few saline bags and stuff too. Me and FinnTheHuman (formerly Master Bates) are simultaneously looting the corpse, and stealing stuff from each other. Like, I would pick up the rifle and it would still show on the corpse. So then he picks it up and it disappears from my inventory. I had to log right after that, so I'll be surpised to see if I actually kept anything from that encounter or if I start out butt naked in the woods.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Yea, that seems to be the new bug. You loot something from a body, and the body will still show the item. The next person to loot it will get the item and you will lose your copy. Not too big of an issue if you can communicate with the people looting and you hide the bodies after.

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was an interesting night.

1) Get picked off (have to give the guy props for that shot)
    2) Respawn with @VedicIntent and double team many zombies with our (bro)fists
    3) Truck back to Electro and meet up with the rest of our crew (mentioned above)
    4) @Trask randomly falls unconscious
    5) We rush to his aid, only to be trapped in a house by a killer outside playing some creepy kids music (what was the song again?)
    6) Vedic gets killed by friendly fire
    7) I get his magnum
    8) I spot two enemies in the courtyard, aim, fire, *click*, magnum ruined!
    9) RUN AWAAAYYYYYY! LOL

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    How did the magnum get ruined?

And that's hilarious about the creepy music.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    How did the magnum get ruined?

And that's hilarious about the creepy music.

Vedic's friendly killer shot it when he shot vedic.

• Options
    Who was the friendly killer? CALL HIM OUT!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Who was the friendly killer? CALL HIM OUT!

I might have been FinnTheHuman but I am unsure.

• Options
    Well then I owe @Vedic some gear!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    Well then I owe Vedic some gear!

It was Finn, and he felt terrible, which made it funnier. There's a good chance I'd have done the same thing given how goddamn unsettling and tense the whole episode was.

The song was "It's Raining, It's Pouring" in the creepiest little girl voice, holy mother of god - link below. The dude was creeping around the outside of the house. I had my Magnum up, heart pounding, looking through the back door and could just see Jake's feet poking out in the courtyard where he'd been gunned down by the bandit. Horrifying. Then that song starts up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c78GAZ0jLY

Guns can apparently get wrecked easily, now that they have an item condition applied to them. I found another ruined Magnum earlier and ditched it for Trask's, which was what got shot up by our nervous little buddy. :)

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    Well then I owe @Vedic some gear!

We were mostly fresh spawns so I don't think he'll care.

• Options
    Fine I'll at least tease him about it. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    I suspect the ruined/bad quality guns are to encourage the use of the cleaning kits... I played for a bit before you all apparently came on last night and tried 4-5 servers but I never got my existing character. Things were really glitchy with the db last night. I had more inventory issues than usual and things were laggy! I suicided once time as a fresh spawn because stopping drinking when I got the first 'getting full' message translated to excessive barfing 5 minutes latter while getting ganked by a zombie...

So new character time. I have a pristine fire-ax and a pack so I'm pretty good for now. I notice the loot spawn rate seemed a lot lower than before. I'm wondering if its db related, loot balancing or just being near new spawn locations... The spawn locations seem really unbalanced though. Kameshovo is no where near as good a spawning Berizino or Electro... Also, the new zombies seem more relentless. Maybe that's just due to not finding a weapon within a few kilometers of spawning due to all the fresh spawns grabbing them?

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    So @Trask and I visited the new town, Svetloyarsk. We accidentally started in a misconfigured server, so we were in a "private" hive that started us as Bambis, but that meant we could just book it to the town without caring if we died.

There was another player with the same idea, and we think he had a shotgun. We kept hearing this giant BOOM every twenty minutes or so, all the way to the NE airfield and Svetloyarsk. We never did catch the guy, but holy crap did we get close a few times.

The new town is pretty great. It's denser and more natural in the layout of the buildings - there's a street on the northwest end I can honestly call "residential." New police station, a medical clinic, and some new house styles too. It was picked over already and the misconfigured servers tend to have crappy loot to start with, so we didn't find anything. It's a good sign for the rest of the game, though.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    Good stuff about the new town!

@Trask how many times did you shoot that sniper the other night? I logged in last night to check my haul and everything I own is now ruined, except for the Moisin and a handful of ammo. I look totally kitted out, but nothing works. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I run cowboy now. anti stab vest improvised bag, 2barrels, one magnum.

I clear the wastes of m4 toting bandits. Come at me dogs.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Where did you find the shotty? school? firehouse? milloot? I've not played much (last night we had company). I'm going for less of a KOS-Green build and more civie look. From the right angle/distance I'm not sure you'd even see my m4... Keeping the fire ax in the back means you need to look close to see I'm armed... On the plus side my dudes also more interesting looking than the standard "green generic mildude). I've dumped my balistic helmet and everything. I really want to get a sawed off so I can tote some firepower and not be obvious about it.

I really hope they add some new pain colors. Great I can make my black mag into a green mag.

Also I wish I new what was up with the hives. Its weird logging in and not know which character I'll get. I'm either super loaded up near electro or a new spawn near kameshovo with an ax and not much else. Either is fine actually (I'm not too attached to the loot) but I'd like to know what I'll get...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You can paint all the things next patch. helmuts. m4's all of it.

Shottys can be foun in schools, farmhouses, industrial buildings.... pretty much anywhere a mosin can. Snap loaders in Grocery stores.

Sawed offs are a joke. The longer barrel has a lifelike spread and will kill a man in shotgun range of you. (30 yards or so.) The only benift to a sawed off is that it fits in your bag. And its costly as hell then....

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    and walkies now work.... so get one. fire stations and a 9 volt. You set your channel in the inventory and speak to the walki by choosing it with ,

Even better. You can set them down.... and people can hear the talking.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I started playing some Breaking Point, which is an ArmA 3 mod.

Played two hours, didn't see a single soul, liking it so far.

It has shamblers instead of runners, so no Yakety Sax required to get away from zombies. And all the advantages of the ArmA 3 engine.

It has a grouping system so you can actually see your buddies in-game like you can in a normal ArmA squad, but it still requires you to meet up face to face to get in a squad.

• Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    and walkies now work.... so get one. fire stations and a 9 volt. You set your channel in the inventory and speak to the walki by choosing it with ,

Any idea if anyone in the area can hear them if they are in the inventory and not on the ground?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Echo wrote: »
    I started playing some Breaking Point, which is an ArmA 3 mod.

Played two hours, didn't see a single soul, liking it so far.

It has shamblers instead of runners, so no Yakety Sax required to get away from zombies. And all the advantages of the ArmA 3 engine.

It has a grouping system so you can actually see your buddies in-game like you can in a normal ArmA squad, but it still requires you to meet up face to face to get in a squad.

You should not play breaking Point. Ever ever ever. The creators use the mod to get your GUID and bohemia userid. it literally phones that home to their server. This is VERY VERY BAD- we are talking about them having thier mod phone your cdkey and windows user id and windows GUID to THEIR home. And not necessary. Can be used maliciously and is not necessary to run a mod. When brought up the creators banned people and were pretty much assholes and said "GTFO -Don t play then" After mass bannings for asking about it- They eventually backpedaled and the offending 'anti cheat' code was removed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1dpy9y/

It was then brought up that even though they claimed to not have stolen anything from day Z- their code is directly copied and pasted in huge chunks. Again they acted like assholes. But after more and more folks found dayZ code in their base they started back pedaling....

http://my.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1s8itg/dayz_code_in_arma_3_breaking_point/

These guys are twats doing malicious stuff with their mod. Seriously. Don't.

Do research. The dayz GAF thread has chunks of this saga on it too.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

Any idea if anyone in the area can hear them if they are in the inventory and not on the ground?

Only person to person in inventory. Everyone can hear one on the ground... but not talk back yet.

Me and Bjourn. Bjourn and me. Looting the ship. A shotty and a magnum to our name. thats it. I am doing my best kate winslet on the tippy top of the ship. -Crack- rifle shot. I get low and move to what i think is safe. - Crack- Ping..... next to my face. I go below decks... bjourn is watching the sniper hill.... we spot the asshole. Orange jacketed dope with a mosin. Bjoun fires on him (a surprisingly awesome spread on the long barrelled shotty) and I put the magnum to work. We keep swapping windows and moving around. He is being moved by our fire. Finally he moves here. I was so narrowly missing him... maybe 12 shots ish fired in the whole engagement. Then He fell over- I found my mark. Look at the range of the magnum! the red is a mountain backpack. SPOILERED FOR HUGE
    FDEB9C1C9DF1DB7BDF4ECBA8C7BA96532C084294
    Gun put away and zoomed- bjourn moved in to be sure....
    02696CAE19C5F1FF8D3F3F7AAB3F0DC16ED49EA5
    Amazing range man! Just wow. And the shotgun is a real life shot gun. Tight pattern and all.

And BK.... i ditched my improvised pack finally. And upon rearranging it.... have a whole same amount of storage as the improvised pack FREE. Yikes. For me the small pack is perfect. In a group i wanna grab all the m4 and mosin gubbings for the group. It just makes more sense.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2014
    You should not play breaking Point. Ever ever ever. The creators use the mod to get your GUID and bohemia userid. it literally phones that home to their server. This is VERY VERY BAD- we are talking about them having thier mod phone your cdkey and windows user id and windows GUID to THEIR home. And not necessary. Can be used maliciously and is not necessary to run a mod. When brought up the creators banned people and were pretty much assholes and said "GTFO -Don t play then" After mass bannings for asking about it- They eventually backpedaled and the offending 'anti cheat' code was removed.

I take what with some salt considering ArmA 3 has no CD key.

edit: also every server can see the id of anyone connecting. That's how you do server bans.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2014

edit: also every server can see the id of anyone connecting. That's how you do server bans.

This was during the infancy on ArmA 2. They don't need your stuff to ban you its built into the server. There's no sane reason they would need to build thier own anti cheat for a mod.

They still lifted Dean's a work when it hit ArmA 3 and lied about it.

Look into it. These are unsavory people.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    That engagement at at the ship was a lot of fun. The weapon mix was definitely in the other guys favor... We had the better ground though. Being able to swap windows (rooms/levels) after every shot made it into a giant game of wack-a-mole for the sniper guy. The patterning at that range was pretty interesting... I saw the shot hitting over a 10+ foot circle. Basically it was the size of the trees. Still it was tight enough I'm certain a pellet or 3 connected over the course of the fight. (I fired quite a few shots). Moving to the center of the ship and then circling around the guy was still pretty stressful since we "thought' he was down but wasn't sure. Sorry about the inventory bug we hit when we were looting him....

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014

@Echo - the key issue was in the arma 2 infancy of it. i understand how anti cheat works- They do not need all of your info sent to their separate personal server to ban you though.

The second link I mention shows where the arma 3 version not only directly lifted Day Z code - which is against the arma 3 eula ((No porting any dayz code to A3))- they lifted directly from other Dayz mods. Just stole what they liked; changed the variables in places.

But I drop it.

edit - Also i preemptively and without coercion apologize if i was 'over hype' in my warning people of BP. It was late and i work IT security; perhaps being overly sensitive to the above stated weirdness.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    BeornK wrote: »
    That engagement at at the ship was a lot of fun. The weapon mix was definitely in the other guys favor... We had the better ground though. Being able to swap windows (rooms/levels) after every shot made it into a giant game of wack-a-mole for the sniper guy. The patterning at that range was pretty interesting... I saw the shot hitting over a 10+ foot circle. Basically it was the size of the trees. Still it was tight enough I'm certain a pellet or 3 connected over the course of the fight. (I fired quite a few shots). Moving to the center of the ship and then circling around the guy was still pretty stressful since we "thought' he was down but wasn't sure. Sorry about the inventory bug we hit when we were looting him....

;D i already corrected the bug- i was over it second it happened i swear. Schools top floor do spawn them.

When they server counts go up to the rocket hoped 150- this game will be the ok corral. Which until the zombos get more in number and more in smarterer, im ok with....

• Options
    Excellent. That means the next one I find is MINE MINE MINE! I'm really liking the shotty. Since I gave away all my mags, mosin and such I'm really hoping to find another shotty. Maybe 2 so I can experiment with ruining one... Also this game needs to add oberz badly!

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    BeornK wrote: »
    Excellent. That means the next one I find is MINE MINE MINE! I'm really liking the shotty. Since I gave away all my mags, mosin and such I'm really hoping to find another shotty. Maybe 2 so I can experiment with ruining one... Also this game needs to add oberz badly!

The shot pattern just makes me drool for an 870. tube feed glooooooooory

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    @mojojoeo So Mojo! Is... the map the exact same? Or did Rocket actually make changes to some things. Kind of curious about maybe getting either this, or Rust to dick around in.

I only ask cause the OP is all kinds of useless for the Standalone version.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    @mojojoeo So Mojo! Is... the map the exact same? Or did Rocket actually make changes to some things. Kind of curious about maybe getting either this, or Rust to dick around in.

There's a whole new town in the northeast corner of the map and also around Cherno and I think Electro there are now outskirts and suburbs that are high level apartment building blocks. There are probably other changes too but these seem like the biggest

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    BigDes wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »

There's a whole new town in the northeast corner of the map and also around Cherno and I think Electro there are now outskirts and suburbs that are high level apartment building blocks. There are probably other changes too but these seem like the biggest

The high level apartments are a new building type (pretty close to the old apartments), and there are basically 3 new cities that are in Cherno that have them.... but yea same map, only now you can go into almost every building, loot has been moved around, StarySobor doesn't have military stuff anymore, and spawns are all in the south east. They added good military loot along that western most road. The basic idea being you spawn in the south east and no matter which way you go there is going to be good military loot on the other side of the map. I don't know if it's the addition of handcuffs, the rarity of loot, or the lack of high end snipers, but I have had a ton more player interaction than in the mod. A lot of it is still shoot on sight, but I'd say a good 50% of the time I run into a player we at least say something to each other before shooting. Maybe 15% or so are non lethal encounters. The game is pretty barebones right now, so it is hard to recommend. It really depends on how much you played the mod and when you played it. Personally, I'm playing this every night with friends and having a great time, but I know some people are not enjoying it because it's missing X feature.

On a side note, I found a mosin inside a green cabinet like the one in the picture (ignore the axe wielding maniac). There was a hat I was trying to get off the top and after trying from all sides, I noticed something flash up in my inventory screen. It's possible that the mosin was behind it, but I'm pretty sure you couldn't see it at all.
    8E58CB8F0434C71992F5B416FD2DADE4B3E163F7

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I've seen plenty of videos of the Standalone, and I liked the simple additions such as having actual clothing to find. Nice that he added more to the map, and especially nice that all buildings can be entered now. That was my major pet peeve about the mod, so painful when looking for loot when 90% of the buildings in some towns were just bricks with textures on them.

Really, both games interest me. Might just... Throw down the 50 to get both, as they'll give rather different experiences. Wonder if any of the old DayZ crew still play, I still have the old Teamspeak info on my client which seems to be used now for The Clam Bake.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Getting confirmation of changes disconnects out the ass

Which is annoying because it has left me in a really dangerous place, smack bang in the middle of the NE airfield

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    aaaaaand my character got eaten again

I swear I've lost more characters to the servers than to bandits and combat

Still, tis the will of the zone

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDes wrote: »
    aaaaaand my character got eaten again

I swear I've lost more characters to the servers than to bandits and combat

Still, tis the will of the zone

this. so this.

I love the 2 hives thing. I have regular to dick around in. I have a hardcore parked for you fine gents.

I swear to christ Backup iron sights are the holy grail. ill never find them. Though I loathe the m4.

@Arthil - every town has at least received some revision- some of them major. More buildings, more everything. The alpha is starting to get more 'content complete' so the loot spawns are being tweaked down to make it more about scav-ing vs loot all over. It has a ways to go content wise though. and Zombos are still turned way down and not re-spawning. but thats okay because they cause not only health damage to you.... but the health of your gear.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Had some good times with Finn the other day. We did some exploring of the map's far north, moving from Berezino to NEAB, then across to NWAB since I'd never been up that far before. Found me a PRISTINE New Zealand air force beret - looks pretty damn sharp. Paired with a black tac shirt, I looked good and didn't have to be "generic camo guy" for decent woodland stealth.

No pic, though, because I unceremoniously fell off a single-story roof to my death. Poking around the edge of the lower firehouse roof for a ladder, and my character model decides to slip-slide over the last two feet to the edge. Finn saved my beret as my last request. We will be together again, brave hat...

Edit: @BeornK could you post some pics of the shotgun? I still haven't seen one in-game and I'm really curious.

VedicIntent on
    VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Day_Z_2014_01_25_13_30_21_62.jpg

there she is. never ever saw her off. She gets too unruly then.

And the transmitter has allowed some folks to revive the green mountain creepyiness to all new levels. A transmission is playing on a specific radio band constantly in electro... it gives grid coords in the creepiest possible way... to green mountain. Further investigation leads all to believe its some player who is good at editing and awesome as a person hoaxing a few servers. But its said to only happen @ night on the servers that do have this happen. Massive grain of salt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdv3OAPm3HI

numbers stations creep me out man.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Oh hey you found a bag

Still can't believe I had to hump all the way to a sodding airfield to get one

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn2WYe6yMOM

Pflax giving his usual informed guide.