As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wait a sec...S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
What the hell happened to this game? I'll lock this thread if there's really no discussion to be had, but...basically I was really really into the PC gaming scene a couple years ago, and then my contact with any sort of PC news in general was totally cut off for about a year...For about the last six months I've been back into the gaming scene, but I've heard no word of this game whatsover, and had totally forgotten about it til now.

What the hell happened to it? Delays? Man, is it just totally off the radar now? This game was supposed to be HUGE.

I checked the dev's website, and it looked like they hadn't updated it in half a year.

stalkcity2.jpg

Dangerou-Dave on

• Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    it had a real bumpy ride.

It's pretty safe to assume it won't be released.

Duke Nukem Forever to be out before STALKER says Broussard.

JJ on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Last I heard it's still coming, I think I read it in EDGE. The game is prety ambitious AI wise, with rival Stalkers playing against you and a whole food-chain of mutants and beasts fighting you and each other (going off what I remember reading)

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    JJ wrote:

Wow, that's fucked up.

I remember watching whole developer videos of STALKER, showing off some rad features. (edit: pretty much listed above).

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah Im all over this game. I have faith it will come out. Its one of the few games Im REALLY looking forward to playing.

Here is quote from their website:
    Release date confirmed - 13/06/2006
    We have a pleasing news for you today: the release date of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl has been officially fixed as Q1 2007. We will keep you posted regarding the more specific release timing of the game.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    JJ wrote:

Wow, that's fucked up.

I remember watching whole developer videos of STALKER, showing off some rad features. (edit: pretty much listed above).
    I'm a bit of a pessimist so it may actually come out early nest year supposedly.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Mr.Brick wrote:
    Yeah Im all over this game. I have faith it will come out. Its one of the few games Im REALLY looking forward to playing.

We have a pleasing news for you today: the release date of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl has been officially fixed as Q1 2007. We will keep you posted regarding the more specific release timing of the game.

OOooh. See I read that as "The relsease date is june 13th, 2006." and didn't read on.

Still, if the newest news on their website is from june, then...well...yeah.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    thats not all that unusual. Lots of game sites dont have official news for long ass periods of time.

aesir on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't know anything about this game, but that screenshot sure is purdy. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Last time I saw anything from this game, it looked *roughly* on par with HL2 in terms of graphical prowess. I really hope it's gotten enough attention since then to be as shiny and new as the other heavy hitters out now. *sigh*, PC shooters always seem to get ignored if they aren't purdy.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    IonMageIonMage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Man, this game definately seemed like a buyer to me. Sad to see it have the bumpy ride its having. But if it does come out, I have faith it'll be something I'll like, even if its still merely on par with HL2 for graphics. At least it means I wont need to upgrade my system or turn down the settings -too- much.

IonMage on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mr.Brick wrote:

OOooh. See I read that as "The relsease date is june 13th, 2006." and didn't read on.

Still, if the newest news on their website is from june, then...well...yeah.
    Either that or Smarch 6th.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Dusda wrote:
    Last time I saw anything from this game, it looked *roughly* on par with HL2 in terms of graphical prowess. I really hope it's gotten enough attention since then to be as shiny and new as the other heavy hitters out now. *sigh*, PC shooters always seem to get ignored if they aren't purdy.

You do realise that the scale of the game is going to be massive? As in the entire Chernobyl exclusion zone and surrounding region recreated in game? I can live with slightly subpar graphics in that situation. God knows it was looking prettier than San Andreas.

Both this month's Edge and PC Gamer are both still slating it for a Q1 release date and apparently it made quite a stir at the GDGC Liepzig Games Confrence in August, so there's clearly still life in the project.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Dusda wrote:

You do realise that the scale of the game is going to be massive? As in the entire Chernobyl exclusion zone and surrounding region recreated in game? I can live with slightly subpar graphics in that situation. God knows it was looking prettier than San Andreas.

Both this month's Edge and PC Gamer are both still slating it for a Q1 release date and apparently it made quite a stir at the GDGC Liepzig Games Confrence in August, so there's clearly still life in the project.
    Yeah, last I heard is that it's bigger than Oblivion.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DremDrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wait, I thought this game was officialy cancelled a while back?

Drem on
    hacksigsig.gif
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Nope, from what I remember the publishers came down and put the boot in - forcing the devs to remove shit that they couldn't get to work properly (ie, vehicles, some other stuff IIRC) and optimise the engine for release.

AFIK it's still on target for 2007, minus some of the promised features.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    apparently it made quite a stir at the GDGC Liepzig Games Confrence in August

Can anyone link any news to that effect? I didn't follow Leipzig very closely at all.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    JJ wrote:

He also said that about Unreal 2 and Doom 3. :P

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm fairly certain this game is vapourware given that the developers horribly mangled things up from the start. Numerous features, like their much vaunted co-op claims are gone now and such forth.

I wouldn't bet on this.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I've played a few leaks of it. The one I have now is multiplayer only and pretty fun, but the maps are standard deathmatch size and there isn't anything special graphically. Nice potential and a couple of good ideas in there.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Aegeri wrote:
    I'm fairly certain this game is vapourware given that the developers horribly mangled things up from the start. Numerous features, like their much vaunted co-op claims are gone now and such forth.

I wouldn't bet on this.

I still see that some features will not be included but I can see the game being released and really good

I don't think it was mangled that badly, It should be interesting none the less though

Lothars on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't even understand why people like co-op. Even my smartest friends are dumber than Daikatana's NPCs.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Man, that's pretty harsh.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I can't say that I'm especially looking forward to this as I won't truly believe it's being released until I see it on a shelf. But if it actually does get released I'll defineatley scoop it up. The game has a lot of ideas that apeal to me, the anomalous areas with screwed up gravity or the radioactive zombies. The STALKER website is worth checking out.

I hope S.T.A.L.K.E.R. isn't supposed to stand for anything, because if so that's far stupider than F.E.A.R.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I don't think it is.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    STALKER... more like uh NOTRELEASEDER...

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Drez wrote:
    I don't even understand why people like co-op. Even my smartest friends are dumber than Daikatana's NPCs.
    There's probably a reason clever people don't like you. :P

Rook on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I preordered this game the same day I preordered Half-Life 2. :|

I still want it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    I can't say that I'm especially looking forward to this as I won't truly believe it's being released until I see it on a shelf. But if it actually does get released I'll defineatley scoop it up. The game has a lot of ideas that apeal to me, the anomalous areas with screwed up gravity or the radioactive zombies. The STALKER website is worth checking out.

I hope S.T.A.L.K.E.R. isn't supposed to stand for anything, because if so that's far stupider than F.E.A.R.

It's probably :

SINGLE
    TASKED
    ATTACK
    LOCATE
    KILL
    EXCAVATE
    RANGERS

But I'm really hoping for:

SHIT
    THIS
    ACRONYM
    LOOKS
    KINDA
    EXTREMELY
    RETARDED

Brolo on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I have never heard of this game. At first I thought it was that game where the trailer was some guy jumping on a train or something and everybody was all ' :shock: ' because of it.

rayofash on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Stalker had on the table everything bioshock is aiming for and more.

I want this game sooo bad. Too bad when it does get released, it won't be anything like what they were oringally aiming for.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    As much awesome as the game can be, if there is no Co-Op it loses some points. Even if it was only 2 people at the same time it would have been awesome to roam in such a world with other people. I hope it gets included, but I guess with all those fun physics and AI it would be pretty damn hard.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    wakkawa wrote:

I want this game sooo bad. Too bad when it does get released, it won't be anything like what they were oringally aiming for.

So everything you see in the videos on the website wont be there?

rayofash on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Drovek wrote:
    As much awesome as the game can be, if there is no Co-Op it loses some points. Even if it was only 2 people at the same time it would have been awesome to roam in such a world with other people. I hope it gets included, but I guess with all those fun physics and AI it would be pretty damn hard.

I'd never heard about the coop thing. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of coop anyway. I mean, how would that even work? Would you be playing coop online with someone else? Having to schedule my gaming sessions to coincide with someone else? Or would I have to network two PCs together? Nah, that I can do without. I'm happily entertained with single-player games, even the idea of the deathmatch mode just fills me with meh.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    FinsterFinster Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Drez wrote:
    ... the hell?

Dude, get better friends. Co-op makes everything better. Hell, if they made a co-op version of Pac-Man, I'd buy it. I can't wait for Army of Two.

And I stopped being interested in STALKER back when they announced they were dropping all of the features that made the game sound mildly unique.

Finster on
    herpderp
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Drovek wrote:

I'd never heard about the coop thing. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of coop anyway. I mean, how would that even work? Would you be playing coop online with someone else? Having to schedule my gaming sessions to coincide with someone else? Or would I have to network two PCs together? Nah, that I can do without. I'm happily entertained with single-player games, even the idea of the deathmatch mode just fills me with meh.

Like with... friends? I'm not sure: "Hey guys, want to play some STALKER now?" instead of any other game? I doubt it would work as a pick up game in a pub, but the game is some awesome Co-Op possibility. And if it takes a bit of scheduling every now and then, so what?

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Beige ATMBeige ATM Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Drovek wrote:
    I doubt it would work as a pick up game in a pub,

"Get your coat love, we're playing STALKER."

Beige ATM on
    And if the music stops... there's only the sound of the rain
    All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain
    And if love remains, though everything is lost,
    We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost.

Rush - "Bravado"
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Beige ATM wrote:
    Drovek wrote:
    I doubt it would work as a pick up game in a pub,

"Get your coat love, we're playing STALKER."

Great thing about playing co-op STALKER is the other person doesn't need to know.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Finster wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    ... the hell?

Dude, get better friends. Co-op makes everything better. Hell, if they made a co-op version of Pac-Man, I'd buy it. I can't wait for Army of Two.

And I stopped being interested in STALKER back when they announced they were dropping all of the features that made the game sound mildly unique.

Where can I find a list of dropped features?

rayofash on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    rayofash wrote:
    wakkawa wrote:

So everything you see in the videos on the website wont be there?

itll be there, but in a different form.

The way Im picturing this is kind of like what happened to fable. Super ambitious ideas were attempted, but had to be cut back drastically.

Theres got to be a reason this game was delayed for so long.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    STALKER? More like Bioshock with a more open setting.

Mai-Kero on