Options

[Let's Play] Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

• Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Aha. My bad. =)

I do like how both actresses inspired the facial features of their ingame characters. Over the course of Halo 1 - 3, Cortana's evolved to look more like Jen Taylor.

Or... maybe I'm mis-remembering that too. :|

No, you're right, Taylor is pretty close to cortana now.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    Isn't she Alex Roivas from ED too?

Yes.

And before anyone asks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uZOxlpt1vQ

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No, you're right, Taylor is pretty close to cortana now.

Could be misinterpreting to imply that Taylor's facial features have evolved to look more like Cortana's :P

Which would be weird... Especially considering the original Cortana wasn't high def!

devoir on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jennifer Hale is my favorite voice actress ever. She is wonderful.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VranaVrana Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered but I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I only read the first post.

After hearing how great this game is and seeing how excited I got just from the opening post, i've decided to hunt this down and play the hell out of it.

I've heard the BC for it on the 360 is messed up and it runs like shit, any truth to this?

I don't mind getting it on PC if the BC is fucked, but all i've got at school with me is my laptop which is running Vista. Will it run okay on Vista? I'm not a big PC gamer, so I don't know a bunch about forcing things to run, so if it won't naturally work on Vista is there any step-by-step directions to forcing it?

Vrana on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vrana wrote: »
    Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered but I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I only read the first post.

After hearing how great this game is and seeing how excited I got just from the opening post, i've decided to hunt this down and play the hell out of it.

I've heard the BC for it on the 360 is messed up and it runs like shit, any truth to this?

I don't mind getting it on PC if the BC is fucked, but all i've got at school with me is my laptop which is running Vista. Will it run okay on Vista? I'm not a big PC gamer, so I don't know a bunch about forcing things to run, so if it won't naturally work on Vista is there any step-by-step directions to forcing it?

Truth, it runs like shit on the 360.

How much Ramitude do you have?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    VranaVrana Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

2 Gigs, assuming you mean RAM.

If you meant Raditude it's at least over 9000.
    I'm so sorry

Vrana on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

2 Gigs.

Give it a shot. It's pretty damn cheap these days, and might run ok on lower settings.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

2 Gigs.

Give it a shot. It's pretty damn cheap these days, and might run ok on lower settings.

Beware of Dantooine. It will destroy your framerate no matter how strong your computer is. The framerate there dips to one frame per three seconds. I don't know why but for some reason, staring at the sun in Dantooine slows it down like hell. I recall there being a fix for it by modifying a line in the config file, but I can't remember it just now.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darksteel wrote: »

2 Gigs.

Beware of Dantooine. It will destroy your framerate no matter how strong your computer is. The framerate there dips to one frame per three seconds. I don't know why but for some reason, staring at the sun in Dantooine slows it down like hell. I recall there being a fix for it by modifying a line in the config file, but I can't remember it just now.

i just reinstalled it on my laptop, which i pray will run it well.

did they fix that problem in a patch, maybe?

also, the game crashed on me and locked up my comp after Trask left to fight the Sith. 2 gigs isn't enough to run this game nicely?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    darksteel wrote: »

2 Gigs.

i just reinstalled it on my laptop, which i pray will run it well.

did they fix that problem in a patch, maybe?

also, the game crashed on me and locked up my comp after Trask left to fight the Sith. 2 gigs isn't enough to run this game nicely?

Might just be your video card (or lack thereof) is enough to shitcan the operation, what do you have the settings on?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shouldn't think so. As far as I know, I don't have 2 gigs and I can run the game pretty well. :P

That doesn't help explain why it locked up, because I really wouldn't know, but I don't think it's the RAM.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shouldn't think so. As far as I know, I don't have 2 gigs and I can run the game pretty well. :P

That doesn't help explain why it locked up, because I really wouldn't know, but I don't think it's the RAM.

There is also the fact that this game was notoriously buggy, you got it all patched up and such?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    i mean, i ran the updater before i started.

and I have a Sony Vaio laptop, which I heard has some sort of weird thing where there is no graphics card, only graphics accelerators?

im running DXDiag now. It says I have Direct X10. Does that have anything to do with it? Cause when i had the game scan my computer, it said that my Direct drivers were funky.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited September 2007

There is also the fact that this game was notoriously buggy, you got it all patched up and such?
    You know what? I honestly don't know.

I just installed the thing, updated my... graphic drivers or something?... and it ran smoothly.

I never even had the dreaded Dantooine problem.

Then again, I've always run it on pretty much the lowest graphical settings.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    i mean, i ran the updater before i started.

and I have a Sony Vaio laptop, which I heard has some sort of weird thing where there is no graphics card, only graphics accelerators?

im running DXDiag now. It says I have Direct X10. Does that have anything to do with it? Cause when i had the game scan my computer, it said that my Direct drivers were funky.

This sounds possible. Try reinstalling it.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ok, now it says that I dont own the game; that I'm running an emulation of some sort.

but I HAVE THE GAME IN MY HANDS. i can assure you all, G and Ters, I am no game pirate. I put the game in, try to run it, it wont start cause it says there is a conflict with Disk Emulation software.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Uninstall disk emulation software. its securom or starforce or whatever the fuck that shit copy protection stuff is. wont run a game with alcohol or dtools or anything running, or even in registry. there are ways to get around it though. but far be it for me to mention them here. google is your friend. ill say no more.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    alright, so it seems i can get the game to start by running the updater beforehand. apparently, this is the big FUCK YOU to the game, as it shows I own the game? but then it loads, i start the game, and then it locks up after Carth tells me to use my stealth skill.

much anger. MUCH anger and frustration.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Taris

Sith Base

Time to make preparations for breaking into the Sith Base. That is to say, time to go buy a droid. But before I get to the store, Bastila wants a word with me.

146ra2.jpg

I basically tell her about all the running around Carth and I did and Bastila is very impressed.

147is5.jpg

My attempts to point out to her that I wasn't the only one trying to free her from the Vulkars are ignored. Bastila seems to have the idea that I did it all on my own and that Carth, Mission and Zaalbar are but bit players in my story. I'm not quite sure if I should be flattered, outraged or just a bit disturbed.

Bastila's certainty that I was the major player is solid, however.

148ce6.jpg

She's convinced I'm Force Sensitive and that I might be able to be trained in order to become a Jedi, if...

149nu4.jpg

But she doesn't want to talk about it.

In any case, let's get shopping.

150lj7.jpg

Janice claims her shop is top notch, even though the Sith took all of her assault droids. She doesn't get as much customers as she would like, though.

151jt3.jpg

Yeah, I noticed.

Anyways, I drop Canderous's name and Janice is willing to sell me the droid she has for him for a mere 2,000 credits. After a bit of haggling I manage to get the price down to 1,500 and find myself the owner of a brand new astromech droid.

153lh8.jpg

Meet T3-M4. It's like R2-D2 but without the personality.

With my latest acquisition in tow, we go to break into the Sith base.

154lo5.jpg

And what better way to break into a base than by going in through the front door?

T3-M4 easily manages to open the lock and my little band boldly heads inside.

155ev5.jpg

Only to come face to face with a Sith receptionist.

A mixture of some smooth talking and a lot of threats convinces the receptionist that she doesn't want to mess with us and she decides to get out of our way, but not before making one final request.

156hc5.jpg

Well, I'll see what I can do.

With the receptionist out of the way, I hack into her computer and use the base cameras to scope the place out.

157zi8.jpg

And electrocute a couple of Sith, of course. I mean, come on, who could resist such an opportunity?

The elevator camera reveals something interesting, though...

158op1.jpg

A shielded assault droid and a couple of turrets. Someone wants to keep people away from there. But certain people know a thing or two.

159en5.jpg

With the assault droid's shield deactivated, the turrets off-line and the elevator doors opened, things should go a bit easier once I get there. Speaking of which, time to go.

160ar5.jpg

There's a bit of fighting on the way, but nothing serious. Security droids, Sith troopers, Sith technicians, some mines here and there, that sort of thing.

It's not long before I run into a familiar face trapped inside of forcefield cell of some sort.

161en3.jpg

The Duros tells me that, in order to deactivate his cell, I have to flip all the nearby wall switches to red. However, if I flip one switch, the two adjecent switches will flip as well and if all the wall switches turn green the Duros is going to be executed.

162oa1.jpg

Fortunately for him, it's not much of a puzzle and I'm not enough of a bitch to just kill him for no good reason.

163ne8.jpg

The Duros gets out of there as quickly as he can and advises me to do the same. He doubts that if I get captured someone will be along to rescue me. It's a nice sentiment, but running away isn't exactly an option.

In any case, I make my way further into the base.

164nl5.jpg

There are more fights, but whatever. With Bastila's powers the Sith are easily dealt with. Eventually, we reach the elevator.

165ft4.jpg

The assault droid may look imposing, but without its shields or back-up turrets it falls quickly.

Riding the elevator, we reach the chambers of the Sith governor of Taris.

166vm9.jpg

You'd think he'd be talking about Bastila, but no he's referring to me. I wonder how 'Force Sensitive' translates into the Force being 'very strong' with me, but I don't have time to ponder by slumbering power.

167fu1.jpg

Bold words, but without a lightsaber or particularly impressive Force powers, he's no match for me and my little team. On the upside, I do find the Sith launch codes on his corpse.

I make my way out of the now empty base and back to the Lower City cantina, where Canderous is not surprised to see me.

168oe2.jpg

Now Canderous feels comfortable with telling me the plan for stealing the Ebon Hawk. He'll just take me to Davik's mansion under the pretense that I want to join up with the Exchange, the intergalactic crime syndicate Davik is a part of. He figures that, since I won that swoop race, Davik would probably be more than willing to consider me as a new henchman.

170ef3.jpg
    171su7.jpg

And off to Davik's estate we go! You know, the whole Sith base raid thing went pretty smoothly, so stealing Davik's ship shouldn't be too much of a problem either, right?

Meanwhile...

173tc9.jpg
    174qd7.jpg
    175fm6.jpg
    176pr6.jpg
    177bk5.jpg
    178lc9.jpg

180mn2.jpg

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I seem to recall Jennifer Hale also doing the voice of Niaomi Campell from Metal Gear as well.

Hmmm, the guy who did Liquid Snake also had a few parts in the game as well I believe, some random ass sith :)

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hmmm, the guy who did Liquid Snake also had a few parts in the game as well I believe, some random ass sith :)
    Cam Clarke did several random ass Siths, actually.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    say, OP, you dont happen to have a program like Daemon Tools on your computer, do you?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Cam Clarke is in practically every star wars game ever made. :P

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    say, OP, you dont happen to have a program like Daemon Tools on your computer, do you?
    Not that I'm aware of, no.

Why do you ask?

EDIT: After a bit of research, yes, I do think I kind of have something like it, but I don't use it for running KOTOR, so I don't know how much help that is.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Not that I'm aware of, no.

Why do you ask?

well, it was well documented in this thread that I got into a hitch while trying to install my completely legal, in my hands, goddamnit I fricking bought it why do you hate me DRM, edition of KOTOR. it's not pirated in anyway, but the Securom DRM on Kotor is not letting me play cause I have Daemon Tools on my computer/registry. Uninstalling DTools doesnt work, cause of the registry things.

I can get the game to start if i run the updater, I guess it believes that I own the actual game if I can run the updater, but then Carth is all "turn on your stealth" and the game locks up and freezes my entire computer.

which is weird, cause I installed the game and got far enough in the game to get to that point in the game.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Cam Clarke is in practically every star wars game ever made. :P

Must be the British accent.

/places flag on ground

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I can get the game to start if i run the updater, I guess it believes that I own the actual game if I can run the updater, but then Carth is all "turn on your stealth" and the game locks up and freezes my entire computer.

which is weird, cause I installed the game and got far enough in the game to get to that point in the game.
    I fear I cannot help you. I know absolutely zilch about technical stuff.

But I wonder where exactly the game freezes up. I don't think I've ever encountered any part where Carth tells me to go stealth.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

But I wonder where exactly the game freezes up. I don't think I've ever encountered any part where Carth tells me to go stealth.

it's less than half an hour into the game, on the Endar Spire. I dont understand, cause I used to run the game on my XP desktop, which had DTools as well as like, DVD Decrypter (for personal backups!) and it ran fine. Ran slow, cause the comp was a POS, but ran fine. And now, this keeps crapping out on me. I dont think it's cause of Vista.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is it in this game or the next where a there's a veiled mention to the future Vong invasion? I remember reading it and then thinking "wait a minute that sounds like NJO stuff..." Dammit I really need to play this again.

xraydog on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    xraydog wrote: »
    Is it in this game or the next where a there's a veiled mention to the future Vong invasion? I remember reading it and then thinking "wait a minute that sounds like NJO stuff..." Dammit I really need to play this again.
    KOTOR 2, I think.

However...
    Considering these games take place 4,000 years before the movies, I don't think it's the Vong Revan is preparing for. Rumour has it that it's the "True Sith" who are the big threat. Rumour also has it that these True Sith would show up in KOTOR 3, I believe, but... well...

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    KOTOR 2, I think.

However...
    Considering these games take place 4,000 years before the movies, I don't think it's the Vong Revan is preparing for. Rumour has it that it's the "True Sith" who are the big threat. Rumour also has it that these True Sith would show up in KOTOR 3, I believe, but... well...

Where did you hear this? Is it in the games?

xraydog on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    KOTOR 2, I think.

However...

Well
    It's hinted in the second game that Revan did what he did because of the true threat to the galaxy which was imminent, so it's pretty much not going to be the Vong, also Kreia bangs on about the true Sith still being out there at some point

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    KOTOR 2, I think.

However...

Which bits of it?

That the games take place 4,000 years before the movies is simply established Star Wars canon. Heck, it's in the opening crawl.

The first rumour is actually kind of confirmed by Kreia in KOTOR 2, though I've never got that far so someone else might fill you in there.

The second rumour is probably just wishful fan-thinking, though. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    EsotericEsoteric Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man if I could marry Hale's voice I would. Anything she says is just...just... agh...arrrjuh...gaaahk....aww jeez.....awesome.

I have had KOTOR 2 since it came out and have just barley pushed myself through Peragus and other stupid boring place and got to a planet surface. I can not stand this one at all. Even on my first time through Taris I enjoyed it.

I thought the Bastila character was great. She may have been the archetype frigid uptight square but god damn she was fine. It was my sole mission in the game to get her knickers off (don’t judge me). The infatuation definitely lies in the voice.

Esoteric on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Wow..I must have not been paying attention during KOTOR2. I totally don't remember that True Sith stuff.

xraydog on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Wow..I must have not been paying attention during KOTOR2. I totally don't remember that True Sith stuff.
    To make matters worse, they're frequently mentioned on one (possibly more) KOTOR 1 loading screen(s). ;-)

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think the Yuuzhan Vong reference that xraydog is talking about is when Canderous relates one of his Mandalorian war stories to you. He mentions that he tried to do examine an asteroid more closely because it had some unknown metal or something, and it suddenly attacks him, and it just blows through their armor. Then it ran, and they tracked its hyperspace wake to the edge of the galaxy. Sounds very much like one of those Vong ships that looked like an asteroid, and the whole travelling to edge of the galaxy thing just makes it more obvious.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

it's less than half an hour into the game, on the Endar Spire. I dont understand, cause I used to run the game on my XP desktop, which had DTools as well as like, DVD Decrypter (for personal backups!) and it ran fine. Ran slow, cause the comp was a POS, but ran fine. And now, this keeps crapping out on me. I dont think it's cause of Vista.

Hey, I had this "Emulation" problem with some legit games... It was a windows bug.
    FightTest wrote: »
    It's a conflict with the MS KB917422 patch.

Installing http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924867 will fix it. Did for me anyway.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Hey, I had this "Emulation" problem with some legit games... It was a windows bug.
    FightTest wrote: »
    It's a conflict with the MS KB917422 patch.

Installing http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924867 will fix it. Did for me anyway.

um, I'm running Vista, so which one do I choose?

and you sure this is gonna help?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png