As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd have to agree with SA's review of the game. Sure, mission is really annoying, and I never used her because of it, but she's a teenager, and they are all annoying.

Carth is like 30 something. Dude needs to chill.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Amusing, but, you know, I just don't understand the rampant Carth-hate.

Carth may 'whine', as some people claim, but at least he's pretty justified in feeling the way he does. Unlike a certain walking Plot Coupon.

My personal problem with him - besides the whining - was his relative uselessness; once you get HK or Canderous you've got a much better long range fighter...

Canderous is a better long range fighter than Carth? What? You do know that despite coming equipped with a heavy repeater, Canderous's stats say he's a melee fighter and he performs far, far better in that role than he does as a blaster user while Carth is built from the start to use blasters, right?

Because it's true!

As for everything else, well, you're male. You wouldn't understand.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I remember playing through this game 3 times, and every time, I went dark side.
    It was just too easy/ fun.
    The underworld on Taris was a BITCH though. I hated it.
    I always maxed out my heavy armor so I could wear the most badass stuff.
    This was my armor the first time:
    180px-MandalorianKOTOR.jpg
    I remember seeing a gold version of that owned by some bounty hunter.
    I WANTED IT SO BAD.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Amusing, but, you know, I just don't understand the rampant Carth-hate.

Carth may 'whine', as some people claim, but at least he's pretty justified in feeling the way he does. Unlike a certain walking Plot Coupon.

My personal problem with him - besides the whining - was his relative uselessness; once you get HK or Canderous you've got a much better long range fighter...

Canderous is a better long range fighter than Carth? What? You do know that despite coming equipped with a heavy repeater, Canderous's stats say he's a melee fighter and he performs far, far better in that role than he does as a blaster user while Carth is built from the start to use blasters, right?

Because it's true!

As for everything else, well, you're male. You wouldn't understand.

I like to turn the combat difficulty on hard, and he's useful as a long range fighter in that he can die away from the action and then revive himself, usually giving a chance to get out of the line of fire. Despite that, I'd usually go with HK (or, if feeling perky, HK and Canderous and then jedi).

And I understand Carth, that doesn't mean I have to like him. Bao Dur is a decent character too, and I don't like him either...and I especially don't like Juhani (but I don't really like her 'people are racist towards cat people'-attitude, even if I am racist towards dastardly cat people and their self-defeating attitudes).

...damn cat-people.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Apparently, the Sith on Taris aren't very good at hunting Jedi. This guy doesn't even seem to care.

kotor0002sy9.jpg

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't think i've ever played KOTOR on easy. I'm not bragging or anything, KOTOR's lack of difficulty has always been one of my chief gripes

VoodooV on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Apparently, the Sith on Taris aren't very good at hunting Jedi. This guy doesn't even seem to care.

snip

As long as you don't enter the Cantina he's cool.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask, but I've always had a problem with Juhani's background sidequest. If anybody here can offer any help it would be appreciated. Spoilered in case it might matter:
    Now, I've done all the conversations and have left the ship with Juhani in my party. Then Xor strolls up and pisses her off about how he wants to buy her. I've been able to complete all the other 'messenger' sidequests, but Xor never seems to show up again.

Is there a certain place I must go or a specific task I must complete first? I've never been able to do that one and of course, late in the game 1 and a half planets go missing and heading to the Unknown World begins the Endgame.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask, but I've always had a problem with Juhani's background sidequest. If anybody here can offer any help it would be appreciated. Spoilered in case it might matter:
    Now, I've done all the conversations and have left the ship with Juhani in my party. Then Xor strolls up and pisses her off about how he wants to buy her. I've been able to complete all the other 'messenger' sidequests, but Xor never seems to show up again.

Is there a certain place I must go or a specific task I must complete first? I've never been able to do that one and of course, late in the game 1 and a half planets go missing and heading to the Unknown World begins the Endgame.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Xor never returned when I first played through KOTOR, you have to have Juhani in your party to trigger his return, that much I know. I think this is one of the many, slightly bugged quests as I used Juhani in my party quite a bit due to her Guardian skills. On one of my subsequent playthroughs, he did return. I think I was on manaan when it happened, but as far as I know, he's supposed to show up eventually regardless of what planet you're on. events like that usually get triggered when you leave the starport area where the Ebon Hawk lands.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Xor never returned when I first played through KOTOR, you have to have Juhani in your party to trigger his return, that much I know. I think this is one of the many, slightly bugged quests as I used Juhani in my party quite a bit due to her Guardian skills. On one of my subsequent playthroughs, he did return. I think I was on manaan when it happened, but as far as I know, he's supposed to show up eventually regardless of what planet you're on. events like that usually get triggered when you leave the starport area where the Ebon Hawk lands.
    You know, the irony of this is that shortly after I posted this, the sidequest was resolved. I was on the planet VoodooV mentioned and quick transited back to the Hawk with Juhani. I don't know if it's planet specific like all of the other background sidequests are, but there you go.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I remember playing through this game 3 times, and every time, I went dark side.
    It was just too easy/ fun.
    The underworld on Taris was a BITCH though. I hated it.
    I always maxed out my heavy armor so I could wear the most badass stuff.
    This was my armor the first time:
    I remember seeing a gold version of that owned by some bounty hunter.
    I WANTED IT SO BAD.

I always let Canderous rock the blue armor(he's a Mandalorion, mayne) and took the Wookie along too. Swords swangin' and whatnot.

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's probably me but...

I thought HK wasn't really as amusing as so many made him out to be.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    It's probably me but...

Angry Statement: Fall in a well and die.

switzky21 on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's probably me but...

Well, I thought it was one of the funniest characters in this particular game. Even if it was a bit of a one-trick pony.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's probably me but...

I was underwhelmed, myself.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What underwhelms me is the fact that the SA forums allowed me to view the LP for KOTOR II up until the 30th page and now says I need to be registered to continue viewing... god damnit. :x

Ok, a little off topic, I know, but I was reading (and enjoying immensely) both of these LPs... only to have one cruelly snatched away from me. Why Lowtax... WHY!?!?!!

PS:
    Darkside path was generally pretty irritating... until you got to the final planet and had the option to betray and kill almost everyone on your ship... the look on Mission's face. Priceless!!!!!

Also, Knowing KOTOR II, Canderous is easily one of the coolest characters in KOTOR. Plus I think we all know who would win if you put him in a pit fight against Carth.
    Whiney bastard for the lose.

Docken on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I thought that was weird too, the way the SA forums tried to hook me with their sweet, sweet Let's Play. But I am strong!

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey, so like, I was randomly parading through Starwars Wiki pages and eventually found myself on the page for Revan.

This article changed my view of the game for damn sure. I like KotOR as it is already, but after reading this, the character Revan has pretty much taken over as my favorite Jedi (Obi Wan was in that position <.< ).

Henroid on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Revan is hardcore.

I'd kill for a set of books about Revan that stretch from his days at the academy, to the war against the Mandalorians, to his rise to power as Dark Lord of the Sith, to the shocking betrayal by his apprentice, to his resurrection as a blank slate, to his rise to power as the Jedi Master he truly is, to his disappearance after the events of KoTOR.

I loves me some Revan.

devoir on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    So sad that Revan is more interesting than any character in the new trilogy.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So sad that Revan is more interesting than any character in the new trilogy.

So very true. And, like most people here, I love HK like none other. Even though it was an option, I could never bring myself to go through tattooine without having him along. It was just too much fun to have such a funny, sadistic, and sociopathic asshole tagging along.

I know that VG Cats isn't a terribly popular comic around here, but Scott really paid a great tribute to the guy.
    040420.jpg

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd love to see what would happen in a meeting between C3PO and HK47. And the aftermath with C3POs head on the ground.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd love to see what would happen in a meeting between C3PO and HK47. And the aftermath with C3POs head on the ground.
    I don't think HK-47 would blast a fellow droid (that isn't a poor copy) into oblivion for no good reason.

Not when <insert least favourite meatbag from any of the movies here> is still around.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I don't think HK-47 would blast a fellow droid (that isn't a poor copy) into oblivion for no good reason.

Not when <insert least favourite meatbag from any of the movies here> is still around.

You don't think he'd kill a goody goody meatbag helping android?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You don't think he'd kill a goody goody meatbag helping android?
    Well, how often have you heard HK-47 urging you to attack droids?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How often do you encounter droids that speak and/or think as independently as HK does?

He hasn't shown much feelings either way for most of his kind. But I'm sure that if you encountered a droid that could be considered a light-side counterpart to HK, He'd be very happy to blow it's head off.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »
    He hasn't shown much feelings either way for most of his kind. But I'm sure that if you encountered a droid that could be considered a light-side counterpart to HK, He'd be very happy to blow it's head off.
    Good point. And the closest one I can think of is T3-M4. Well... KotOR 2's T3-M4.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Revan is hardcore.

I'd kill for a set of books about Revan that stretch from his days at the academy, to the war against the Mandalorians, to his rise to power as Dark Lord of the Sith, to the shocking betrayal by his apprentice, to his resurrection as a blank slate, to his rise to power as the Jedi Master he truly is, to his disappearance after the events of KoTOR.

I loves me some Revan.

This is why we need KotOR3. We need to know if the Exile is going to aid or go against Revan.

I mean, I realize that it'll likely be full of multiple endings, depending on who is what side of the Force. But given that Lucas decided what's canon in KotOR, well, they'll point out which ending is 'best.'

According to the brief Wiki page on the Exile, it's a she and ends up swinging to the dark side of the Force.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Revan is hardcore.

I loves me some Revan.

This is why we need KotOR3. We need to know if the Exile is going to aid or go against Revan.

I mean, I realize that it'll likely be full of multiple endings, depending on who is what side of the Force. But given that Lucas decided what's canon in KotOR, well, they'll point out which ending is 'best.'

According to the brief Wiki page on the Exile, it's a she and ends up swinging to the dark side of the Force.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the only canon ending ever is the one where whatever character is light side and did only good. Canon is boring.

EDIT: Wha? The exile swings to the dark side? Since when? The whole point of the story is for him to go neutral

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Revan is hardcore.

I loves me some Revan.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the only canon ending ever is the one where whatever character is light side and did only good. Canon is boring.

Then if they ever do make a KotOR3 it'd be pretty freakin' boring, wouldn't it?

I can dream.

Henroid on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Revan is hardcore.

I loves me some Revan.

EDIT: Wha? The exile swings to the dark side? Since when? The whole point of the story is for him to go neutral

Well, that's what Kreia might want, but Kreia's a bitch and nobody should care what she wanted.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Revan is hardcore.

I loves me some Revan.

Well, that's what Kreia might want, but Kreia's a bitch and nobody should care what she wanted.

I actually have yet to explore being neutral throughout the course of the game.
    I do remember my play through being a dark jedi, I killed all the Jedi Masters. She then approached me and asked me a question (I forgot what it was) and she responds, "Ah... then... you have failed me." And she knocked me out. I was pissed because I instinctively saved without realizing I should've gone back to see if I could pick a better response.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Revan is hardcore.

I loves me some Revan.

Shame that she makes more sense in her philosophy about the Force than either the light or darkside camp ever did. Although I never disliked Kreia the way a lot of players did. As long as you never trusted her you'd be fine.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Shame that she makes more sense in her philosophy about the Force than either the light or darkside camp ever did. Although I never disliked Kreia the way a lot of players did. As long as you never trusted her you'd be fine.

There needs to be more focus on the Force-neutrality thing. The KotOR series did a good job of painting how bad it can be being devoted to the Light side, and of course the Dark side is bad because of duh.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Revan is hardcore.

I loves me some Revan.

Oh yes, her philosophy about the force being a huge dick toying with the sith and the jedi. Real enlightend stuff there.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Revan is hardcore.

I loves me some Revan.

Oh yes, her philosophy about the force being a huge dick toying with the sith and the jedi. Real enlightend stuff there.

Man everything she said made sense. The Jedi think they're all good and pure but get involved in stuff and use their powers for things they probably shouldn't and fear anything that threatens the status quo, especially anyone feeling any full emotions. The worst sith just go around destroying shit which doesn't gain you anything either.

Her whole thing about being good and bad as the situation demands to gain something makes sense.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The thing about the Jedi Order is that they go through a lot of shit to cut people off from having a personal life. You're taken from your family at a young age, you're not permitted to love someone, you're not permitted to have the occassional "Y'know what, this pisses me off" fit. Instead of teaching how to deal with what may come, they make people turn away from everything.

The Dark Jedi are a classic case of power corrupting. As is gone over, they seek ways to test their power constantly. And eventually in-fighting destroys them.

Henroid on
  • Options
    yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    i am busy going through this game for the first time right now

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Revan is hardcore.

I loves me some Revan.

I'm mostly refering to the general retardness of both the Jedi and the Sith code. The Jedi shields people off from society, normal emotions and family ties, which has probably created far more Sith/Darksiders than the Sith influence has ever managed to. The Sith on the other hand simply runs rampant in general with their emotions, destroying things for no more reason than to show how badass thay are. Running a civilization with these guys simply won't work for the long run. In the end both philosophies are flawed, since they are based on such extremes.

EDIT: Guess that Darkwarrior already touched on those points. That'll show me for not updating the page before posting :P

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Might someone knowledgeable in the Star Wars universe shed a bit of light on the issue? Is there a force-using faction that follows more of a neutral path, using light and dark stuff whenever it suits them? 'Cause that makes the most sense if you have crazy uber powers, not the usual Jedi hypocrisy and Sith retardedness.

Rhan9 on