As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tiny [chat] is dreaming

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    Maybe there will be people who like to dress up like vintage kitchen appliances and walk around going "whirrrrrrr!"

I hope this doesn't awaken anything in me

0tg6f9yd6nq4.jpg

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I consider @cptrugged a friend but he is still an anime and it will be a very sad day when I am king of the world and he has to go up against the wall.
    Perhaps I will give him a suspended sentence of death, sort of like a sword of Damocles as long as I never catch him wrrryyying or pockying or whatever he can sit in a cell and we can play LoL.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    attack on titan has good stuff in it, but it suffers from DBZ syndrome of being more filler than content

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    that turkey gif is so incredibly detailed

it's actually messing with my head, because it looks like unbelievably crystallized hd, like it's on top of my screen

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    wait why did quoting something open up my edit box

i thought it was some weird appending feature going on and instead i just edited out my good and cool thoughts on banished to reply to friggin attack on titan

i hate this

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Maybe there will be people who like to dress up like vintage kitchen appliances and walk around going "whirrrrrrr!"

0tg6f9yd6nq4.jpg

IMG_9381.jpg

i can't weight to go home and pound it

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    @spool32 that had stages

I applaud you.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

CLX020109_022_1_4-de-4781774.jpg

qRbsiWv.png?1

3VDakke.png?1

Eyeofsauron.jpg

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Is that picture to scale

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    @tarranon i have no idea why you deleted this post but hey i saved it so
    tarranon wrote:
    mostly i think it's bad because like was said it's game over once you maintain sustainability and then the only interesting choice you're faced with is "do i expand and risk upsetting the delicate balance, or maybe a disaster at an inopportune time, or do i not do that, and contentedly trim the bonsai tree that is my little burg'

also it makes you wait too long for citizens to grow up and junk and there's no mystery about what is the best way to do buildings so all i'm really doing is plopping down stuff and waiting for new children to come in while hoping a sequence of disasters don't murk me

i guess it's really good if you liked the new sim city

yeah all of this is true but i fail to see how that is bad if what you want is to trim your bonsai.

like, what do you get from the other stuff you play that you dont here?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Trace wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    anime really sucks tho

To that I say Cowboy Bebop

My dad caught part of an episode well over a decade ago.

He could not stop laughing at the idea of a cartoon that takes itself kind of seriously.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Tarranon wrote: »
    you edited this post!

it's a beta

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Attack on Titan: Suffers from weird emotional beats (exaggeration of facial expressions/reactions is an annoying anime trope), uneven pacing (STAHP FLASHBACKING AT CLIMACTIC MOMENTS), and ridiculously long monologues (as I mentioned in the thread shut up and do the thing)

But it is still a good show. And not for the genre of anime--just a good, entertaining show.

maybe i should just give in and watch the show. i hated the manga but everyone says the show is good...

Not very great. Is very anime.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    kedinik wrote: »
    anime really sucks tho

He could not stop laughing at the idea of a cartoon that takes itself kind of seriously.

does he know that the stuff that happens in live action movies isn't any more real than cartoons

override367 on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    anime really sucks tho

I've tried to watch several series that have been recommended to me

and sometimes I'll stomach some of the cliches / chaff and sort of get into the story or characters

and then I'll reach a point in the series where the show says "LOL SEXUALIZED LOLI!" and I'm like

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

if you took all the dumb cliches of old 90's videogames and the sort of weird groupthink and just turned that into a genre, almost entirely lacking self-awareness and devoted entirely to its own stereotypes and embracing them as a kind of comfort

and that makes me really glad that, despite the drama it can cause, the gaming industry is going through a painful and awkward and necessary revision and re-examining its underlying tropes and biases and stereotypes

sort of a "there but for the grace of God go we"

the first anime series i ever watched was cowboy bebop, back in like 2001 maybe

and i thought it was really cool! it was like nothing i'd ever seen - stylish and fresh and the music was good and the characters were surprisingly appealing and wow!

i thought "i must like anime! i must be an anime fan!"

and then i watched other anime and other anime and still more anime and was like

nope.

the rest of it just isn't any good

and then i met some other kids that were really into anime fandom and was like

hey that kid is wearing blue-tinted swim goggles on his forehead just like, around town.

maybe this isn't for me at all.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    man fuck people who express the things they like to others in public, the nerve
    you're supposed to be a bitter emotionless bundle of conformity like me who derives nothing from day to day existence

i definitely have this issue

i guess i want so strongly not to be typified or pigeonholed that i try and not really associate with anything: guns, jiu jitsu, running, video games, fashion

everything has its negative connotation and i don't want some theoretical funeral for me to be 'john chu: in total, a man who loved outkast, blowjobs, and sichuan food'

it is a p stifling, world-is-closing-in-on-me feeling, that i am reducible to certain things

so i guess i only really want to show off or advertise those interests of mine which are sort of sterile and mature and hard to use as ammunition for typification of my character

Organichu on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    anime really sucks tho

and sometimes I'll stomach some of the cliches / chaff and sort of get into the story or characters

and then I'll reach a point in the series where the show says "LOL SEXUALIZED LOLI!" and I'm like

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

if you took all the dumb cliches of old 90's videogames and the sort of weird groupthink and just turned that into a genre, almost entirely lacking self-awareness and devoted entirely to its own stereotypes and embracing them as a kind of comfort

and that makes me really glad that, despite the drama it can cause, the gaming industry is going through a painful and awkward and necessary revision and re-examining its underlying tropes and biases and stereotypes

and i thought it was really cool! it was like nothing i'd ever seen - stylish and fresh and the music was good and the characters were surprisingly appealing and wow!

and then i watched other anime and other anime and still more anime and was like

nope.

hey that kid is wearing blue-tinted swim goggles on his forehead just like, around town.

i like

cowboy bebop
    samurai champloo
    monster
    paranoia agent
    anything by miyazaki

that's it

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @spool32 that had stages

I applaud you.

:)

• Options
    anime really sucks tho

does he know that the stuff that happens in live action movies isn't any more real than cartoons

considerably less real in my opinion

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I was going through some of my old stuff this weekend and I found my bootleg boxed DVD set of Trigun and I picked it up like a dead bug and tossed it into a box with a revolted look on my face. Then I cried a little while because I miss Wolfwood so bad.

Then I gorilla glued the box shut and put it in the attic

• Options
    like that miley turkey gif sort of makes me feel like i understand 3d, even tho i only have one eye

it is a brainfuck

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

0tg6f9yd6nq4.jpg

skippy in 6 months

NertCam-21943.jpg

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I've always had a soft spot for Hellsing.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    you're supposed to be a bitter emotionless bundle of conformity like me who derives nothing from day to day existence

i guess i want so strongly not to be typified or pigeonholed that i try and not really associate with anything: guns, jiu jitsu, running, video games, fashion

everything has its negative connotation and i don't want some theoretical funeral for me to be 'john chu: in total, a man who loved outkast, blowjobs, and sichuan food'

it is a p stifling, world-is-closing-in-on-me feeling, that i am reducible to certain things

so i guess i only really want to show off or advertise those interests of mine which are sort of sterile and mature and hard to use as ammunition for typification of my character

chu

you will forever be the analinguist

you cannot escape it

and nothing else you ever do will ever replace or eclipse it

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2014

nobody I work with even knows I play video games and its like a huge part of my life, I'm afraid to even talk about movies because if I let on that I thought Frozen and Lego Movie are two of the best movies of the last year they might think I'm childish or a pedophile or something

so I just pretend to like the packers and alcoholism and other stuff adults in wisconsin are supposed to like

override367 on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

i like

cowboy bebop
    samurai champloo
    monster
    paranoia agent
    anything by miyazaki

that's it

*makes notes on a pad of paper*

919UOwT.png
  • Options
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm moving in to a new house (rental), any everything seemed perfect.

I go outside and hear (in this very suburban neighborhood) the ER ER ERRR ER ERRRR of a rooster.

A fucking rooster.

This place... just got even better.

• Options
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

i like

cowboy bebop
    samurai champloo
    monster
    paranoia agent
    anything by miyazaki

that's it

*nods in approval*

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

I like enough anime shows/movies that I'm happy in general that it exists. I have just long accepted that as a medium, it is like a ridiculously inefficient machine, creating orders of magnitude more slag than it does gems.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Attack on Titan: Suffers from weird emotional beats (exaggeration of facial expressions/reactions is an annoying anime trope), uneven pacing (STAHP FLASHBACKING AT CLIMACTIC MOMENTS), and ridiculously long monologues (as I mentioned in the thread shut up and do the thing)

But it is still a good show. And not for the genre of anime--just a good, entertaining show.

maybe i should just give in and watch the show. i hated the manga but everyone says the show is good...

Haven't read the manga. Honestly only started watching because the (great) music from Bravely Default led me to it.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

100% this. Ive seen some good anime but the amount of bad. Then the fans. Nope.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

nobody I work with even knows I play video games and its like a huge part of my life, I'm afraid to even talk about movies because if I let on that I thought Frozen and Lego Movie are two of the best movies of the last year they might think I'm childish or a pedophile or something

so I just pretend to like the packers and alcoholism and other stuff adults in wisconsin are supposed to like

like i don't even wanna be the packers guy or the alcoholism guy

i guess in my ideal world i know a lot about everything, i can talk intelligently on a given topic

but i'm so stingy with my interest, focus, and passion that i'm not 'given' to any one thing and no one thinks of me as the ____ guy

no posters, no stickers, no fandom, no attending concerts, no going to sporting events

because i can't like a certain thing, i must be aloof for fear of social compartmentalization

it is horrifying

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Zampanov wrote: »
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

I like enough anime shows/movies that I'm happy in general that it exists. I have just long accepted that as a medium, it is like a ridiculously inefficient machine, creating orders of magnitude more slag than it does gems.

how is this any different than western television

override367 on
  • Options
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

i like

cowboy bebop
    samurai champloo
    monster
    paranoia agent
    anything by miyazaki

that's it

*makes notes on a pad of paper*

i only said i liked these because they're good!

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    anime really sucks tho

Did you call him a baka gaijin?

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Help

Too much snow for the cats to go outside

The cats are restless now

I fear for my safety

They smell my fear

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

chu

you will forever be the analinguist

you cannot escape it

and nothing else you ever do will ever replace or eclipse it

one day lots of people will be doing it. in a world where eating ass is routine, i become the night and recede into shadows

• Options
    Chu if you die I am paying your family off with $200 and a family sized Stouffer's Chicken Enchilada dinner, then I am going to make your headstone one of those fancy video things and it's gonna loop this for time immortal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pBBem2eYo4&list=UUm2HU0GAhrrieJtDNsAKV2Q

That is how you will be remembered. Assholes and Hotdogs

• Options
    Zampanov wrote: »
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

but really doesn't that describe most media?

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.