As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Fall of [Chat]

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Omg

70 min deep tissue massage

Accompanied with sea chanties and wooden ship acoustics

And now tea with rum and shortbread while I wait for rad's to finish

Da

Bes

Quid on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    The fascination with straight razors always struck me as kind of affected.
    Kind of like all my 20-something friends who absolutely love a fine Scotch
    oh he went there!

affectation is a tool used to get past the barriers of acquiring legitimate tastes

i didn't enjoy liquor until i forced myself to do it and was able to overcome the powerful alcohol flavour

Get older, care less; shrug & chug.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Also the clever fuckers leave you with an ornamental bottle of rum whose cork is glued in.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    alright, if anybody wants to see some infamous gonna see how new interwebs let me stream

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Example:
    I hate zucchini.
    *shrug*
    *munch*

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    kedinik wrote: »
    am vegetarian

is nothing for me to braise :(

untrue! root vegetables take well to braising.

a while back my ex and i did a cider braise for chicken, but it was over a bed of parsnips

parsnips braise very well

I find root vegetables turn out really well if you just crockpot them from the get-go, which from what I understand is not really braising.

So I'm not sure whether actually braising would do noticeably better.

ehh, crockpot/slow cooker cooking is basically braising. you use a dry heat to sear or brown the food (usually meat) and then cook it slowly in added liquid at a low temperature to break down tougher tissues.

if anything braising is a broad category that includes slow cooking/pot roasting/etc.

Hmm. I guess it just never seemed like it would do anything desirable to sear root vegetables prior to throwing them in the crockpot, but I'm certainly an amateur.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    So. Overnight, a batch of mushrooms just kinda grew in on our garlic.

And then I discovered that either a cat or squirrel ate our planted chile.

Not a good day for the farm-garden. Farmden.

so, sort of a farmagedon?

Not quite, just annoying. I'm only really noticing this stuff and being bugged by it lately because I've been putting muscle into it.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I want someone here with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8yKgLKJFjQ

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    for the record i don't think people fake it, I just think that they acquire it for reasons having to do with desperately wanting to be the masculine ideal they see sold to them in the culture

@MrMister do you really think the main drive for my consumption of whiskey is the masculine ideal of it?

certainly that aspect is fun, but it's also ridiculous.

the main drive for consuming any kind of straight liquor is that, when you have acquired the taste, it has strong, varied, interesting flavours, and the whole experience is enjoyable. the scent is deeply pleasant (people who hate drinking whiskey often ask to smell whatever i'm drinking because it's so nice), the taste of it as you roll it around in your mouth is obviously wonderful, and the lingering flavours after you swallow it from the fumes are great too. it's a whole different experience from drinking most other liquids. i'd compare it to drinking good wine, except it's easier - wine is subtle, and more prone to variation due to environmental factors like letting it "breathe" or having a bottle that's a bit off (and wine continues aging in the bottle, unlike liquor).

and the flavours aren't typical of what we crave in other food and drink indulgences - instead you get flavours that remind you more of pleasant scents that you might not otherwise find appetizing. I love the smell of leather, of campfire smoke, of old wood or fresh-cut wood or charred oak, of cut grass, etc, and to be able to drink something that tastes like those smells is really enjoyable, though you might not think it would be initially. And of course, if you're drinking a sweeter whiskey like a bourbon, you're getting those wood flavours but also more traditionally consumed flavours like caramel, maple, praline, brown sugar, toasted grains, etc.

if i were to ascribe a set of motivations, i wouldn't really include masculinity. i don't think it's a gender identity motivator. instead, i'd ascribe it to classism and wealth - part of what motivated me to try to enjoy nice liquors was the construction of a new identity as i moved into a post-graduation career and started making decent money and living a new lifestyle. I liked the idea of being someone who consumes fine things. I started caring more about interior design, about clothes and outward grooming (specifically suits, shoes, accessories, etc.), cooking meals and hosting, going to nice restaurants, making cocktails. I got a bunch of nice crystal decanters and a shelf that prominently displays my "collection" of whiskeys. This was also parallel to grad school and a similar intellectual course - what's across from my whiskey collection in the living room? A bookshelf with all my tough philosophy books just above eye level. :P

Certainly a superficial and dubious set of motivations, with its own set of problems, but not the one you pegged! And once those things have motivated you to acquire the taste, the taste is itself quite rewarding aside from those motivations (though they are perhaps necessary to give you the decision-making bias to spend $80 on a bottle of scotch).

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    am vegetarian

is nothing for me to braise :(

untrue! root vegetables take well to braising.

a while back my ex and i did a cider braise for chicken, but it was over a bed of parsnips

parsnips braise very well

I find root vegetables turn out really well if you just crockpot them from the get-go, which from what I understand is not really braising.

So I'm not sure whether actually braising would do noticeably better.

ehh, crockpot/slow cooker cooking is basically braising. you use a dry heat to sear or brown the food (usually meat) and then cook it slowly in added liquid at a low temperature to break down tougher tissues.

if anything braising is a broad category that includes slow cooking/pot roasting/etc.

Hmm. I guess it just never seemed like it would do anything desirable to sear root vegetables prior to throwing them in the crockpot, but I'm certainly an amateur.

you probably wouldn't be searing vegetables as much as browning them

• Options
    I miss the days when bands made up of super white mid 30s dad types could make popular music videos.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    THIS PALADIN WILL NOT DIE

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I'm just going to say it: something about Neil De Grasse tyson has just never clicked for me. I don't get his appeal. Maybe I see him in the wrong contexts?

• Options
    I'm just going to say it: something about Neil De Grasse tyson has just never clicked for me. I don't get his appeal. Maybe I see him in the wrong contexts?

I think this is just a case of blatant racism. Racist.

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    THIS PALADIN WILL NOT DIE

That's part of their Schtick, yes.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    So . . . . I applied for a new job.

In the same building.

But away from patients.

I already have an interview just one day after I sent in my resume, which means they're totally already going to hire me or have quickly decided against me. So we'll see O_O

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Alright. That was less than fun. But cute top get. And a second top that is short sleeves for when it warms up.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Omg

Cool
    TREAT
    YO
    S...

...WAIT...WHAT THE FUCK?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

In the same building.

But away from patients.

I already have an interview just one day after I sent in my resume, which means they're totally already going to hire me or have quickly decided against me. So we'll see O_O

Kill all the patients. It'll look good on your resume when you need to explain why you don't want to work with patients.

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    Alright. That was less than fun. But cute top get. And a second top that is short sleeves for when it warms up.

:grinning:

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Omg

Cool
    TREAT
    YO
    S...

...WAIT...WHAT THE FUCK?

i think he fell into an alternate reality where everything is pirate ships

all i can imagine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »

In the same building.

But away from patients.

Kill all the patients. It'll look good on your resume when you need to explain why you don't want to work with patients.

Yes. Citing precedence always helps.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    HAHAHA
    my german friend just had the most American photo taken of her.

1499588_10202651607504293_421572519_n.jpg

LET
    FRRREEEEEEDOOOOMMMM
    RRRIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Sun burn! From about half an hour outside. Dammit texas

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I shed a single red, white and blue tear, deebs.

kedinik on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No, I find him annoying too. We can share my glass of haterade.

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »

i'm not even that into him.

i think what he stands for is very cool and all. but he doesn't blow my mind or captivate me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Speaking of whiskey, I've never enjoyed it outside of a cocktail.

Though it has tasted pretty good sometimes in that context.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    for the record i don't think people fake it, I just think that they acquire it for reasons having to do with desperately wanting to be the masculine ideal they see sold to them in the culture

@MrMister do you really think the main drive for my consumption of whiskey is the masculine ideal of it?

certainly that aspect is fun, but it's also ridiculous.

the main drive for consuming any kind of straight liquor is that, when you have acquired the taste, it has strong, varied, interesting flavours, and the whole experience is enjoyable. the scent is deeply pleasant (people who hate drinking whiskey often ask to smell whatever i'm drinking because it's so nice), the taste of it as you roll it around in your mouth is obviously wonderful, and the lingering flavours after you swallow it from the fumes are great too. it's a whole different experience from drinking most other liquids. i'd compare it to drinking good wine, except it's easier - wine is subtle, and more prone to variation due to environmental factors like letting it "breathe" or having a bottle that's a bit off (and wine continues aging in the bottle, unlike liquor).

and the flavours aren't typical of what we crave in other food and drink indulgences - instead you get flavours that remind you more of pleasant scents that you might not otherwise find appetizing. I love the smell of leather, of campfire smoke, of old wood or fresh-cut wood or charred oak, of cut grass, etc, and to be able to drink something that tastes like those smells is really enjoyable, though you might not think it would be initially. And of course, if you're drinking a sweeter whiskey like a bourbon, you're getting those wood flavours but also more traditionally consumed flavours like caramel, maple, praline, brown sugar, toasted grains, etc.

if i were to ascribe a set of motivations, i wouldn't really include masculinity. i don't think it's a gender identity motivator. instead, i'd ascribe it to classism and wealth - part of what motivated me to try to enjoy nice liquors was the construction of a new identity as i moved into a post-graduation career and started making decent money and living a new lifestyle. I liked the idea of being someone who consumes fine things. I started caring more about interior design, about clothes and outward grooming (specifically suits, shoes, accessories, etc.), cooking meals and hosting, going to nice restaurants, making cocktails. I got a bunch of nice crystal decanters and a shelf that prominently displays my "collection" of whiskeys. This was also parallel to grad school and a similar intellectual course - what's across from my whiskey collection in the living room? A bookshelf with all my tough philosophy books just above eye level. :P

Certainly a superficial and dubious set of motivations, with its own set of problems, but not the one you pegged! And once those things have motivated you to acquire the taste, the taste is itself quite rewarding aside from those motivations (though they are perhaps necessary to give you the decision-making bias to spend $80 on a bottle of scotch).

I think you're a lovely man and I too love whiskey.

The rest of that stuff you wrote... you're on your own there. That was like rhetorical seppuku.

<flees>

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    But DeGrasse Tyson-san! :x

• Options
    I like that DeGrasse Tyson at least tried to explain to Dawkins that more people would listen to Dawkins if Dawkins were less of a jerk.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it.
    it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.

my god

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    damn i hate dawkins

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    damn i hate dawkins

I love him for the parody twitter account he inspired.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    NDT's aight

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    i've still never had scotch

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Straight razors kinda go with fixies, for me.

Like, I have one of those safety razors (not sure if this is the US terminology - common razor with a head that you throw away after a while and change for one of an over-priced pack of 3) WITH A BATTERY-POWERED MOTOR!

So, you just shave like with a normal rubbish safety razor but then it vibrates and shaves really smoothly and doesn't give me razor burn or cut me ever.

IT'S AN AWESOME PIECE OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY THAT DID NOT EVEN EXIST WHEN I WAS LEARNING TO SHAVE!

Purposefully choosing some old-timey-coincidentally-a-deadly-weapon razor makes me raise a single eyebrown, spock-like. A spockbrow.

Possibly spockbrow should be a unit measuring polite disbelief.

Straight razor? A single spockbrow.

A fixie? 3 spockbrows.

Also, I've seen someone attacked with a straight razor, and it didn't endear me towards the device much.

In summary, MY RAZOR IS SO COOL I AM LIVING IN THE FUTURE!

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

i'm not even that into him.

i think what he stands for is very cool and all. but he doesn't blow my mind or captivate me.

*jots names down on list*

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    i've still never had scotch

It's good. Like drinkng delicious dirt

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I've never had a drink of alcohol...

Wait, no, that's a lie.

i had a sip of white wine once.

This discussion has been closed.