As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DayZ Standalone] Early Access now available on Steam

• Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    It sounds to me like it was more of a culture clash with Bohemia, plus his (admittedly) tough time managing the group. He mentioned constantly justifying his process to BI, arguing with the CEO, etc. I just don't think everyone fit together right, which I guess isn't too surprising given the circumstances for him joining the company in the first place.

And he plans to be onboard for as long as it's 'best for DayZ,' not necessarily until release, and even then not as the lead developer. We'll see where this goes, but I'm a bit worried.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Ok this is bullshit on a couple of levels.

1) Its not out of alpha. 1.5 million x 29.99 is a ton of cash. And the guy we got behind walks. Not cool. No matter the reason it kinda sucks. If it were close to launch or something..... maybe then its appropriate.... but even with him saying im out in a year... its kinda unsavory.

2) As a gamer and said with zero drama and INTERNET rage attached- Dean Hall's next project wont be touched by me until its done. If he can sell it off the walk on the idea once? I mean why not twice? Its just common sense. he pooped on his own name.

3) An extremely meta point- the INTERNET elevates these people.... As if they are the visionaries and paragons of our time.... Notch. Gabe Newell. Dean. Jobs. But in many cases they didn't earn all that.... they went viral or whatever. They did an awesome thing.... that doesn't make them awesome at all times or even a person who's opinions should be given second thoughts. theres a cult of dean- but a lot of his DAYZ ideas just don't make good gaming or even fun gaming. they are his to make and thats cool. But you have to be able to objectively say that some of his ideas aren't as good as others. IE day night cycle being mandatory screwing over workers. But look at reddit. It asplodes as the 'cult of dean' does not know what to do with the fact that hes walking off after getting paid.

he made a mod. he had an idea. But he will never have made it a game. he will not have seen it through. ((barring it launching in a year))

All of that aside.... this may be what's best for DAYZ on a few levels. And the sky isnt falling. maybe having a deadline helps the project finish.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It sounds to me like it was more of a culture clash with Bohemia, plus his (admittedly) tough time managing the group. He mentioned constantly justifying his process to BI, arguing with the CEO, etc. I just don't think everyone fit together right, which I guess isn't too surprising given the circumstances for him joining the company in the first place.

And he plans to be onboard for as long as it's 'best for DayZ,' not necessarily until release, and even then not as the lead developer. We'll see where this goes, but I'm a bit worried.

If you look at his twitter and the way he works it must be infuriating for management who need a bottom line to tell investors boards important folk..... he is adhd with ideas at times.

Thats actually BIs fault tho... they could just bought the idea and scrapped him. They paid for both.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Thats actually BIs fault tho... they could just bought the idea and scrapped him. They paid for both.

Who's to say that this isn't what that is.

Perhaps when they bought Dean's IP, he rolled in a steady job for 2 years into the contract and that they'd each have the option to leave after it was up.

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    the new stuff on experimental is pretty good. they are opening 60+ more exp servers. Rocket also tweeted he has fps in cities potentially fixed too.

keep on trucking game.....

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    I'm excited about the hoe.

• Options
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    I'm excited about the hoe.

you could always have a girl char?

BAZZInnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng!

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I'm going to post this in the ARMA thread as well, but... Zombies on MARS?

http://www.bistudio.com/english/home/news/projects/441-bohemia-interactive-will-launch-a-manned-mission-to-mars
    Bohemia Interactive, an award-winning video games developer based in the Czech Republic, today announce their plan to launch the first ever manned mission to Mars. The project, which uses 'Expedition One' as its working title, is part of the studio’s effort to explore the red planet and – ultimately – establish a human colony on Mars. While the first space shuttle is scheduled to depart as early as April this year, Bohemia Interactive is still actively recruiting for people to join its marsonauts training program.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So I just got this game ....

Am I to understand that they aren't updating it anymore?

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    So I just got this game ....

Am I to understand that they aren't updating it anymore?

I assume you grabbed the stand along game? In that case, no, they ARE updating it. People freaked out because Rocket decided to announce he was leaving the development team at the end of the year. I reccomened following the dayz reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz) or the twitter accoutn of rocket (https://twitter.com/rocket2guns) or the dayz dev team (https://twitter.com/dayzdevteam) to stay up to date on what's coming in stable and experimental branches.

• Options
    oh ok, thanks!

I thought that since the main guy was leaving it would never get out of alpha or something.

• Options
    this game is intense!

walked around with two friends for about 2 hours looting and being vaguely paranoid about everything. Finally we run to meet another friend who just started in some coastal city. We give him some gear in a warehouse, and all of a sudden one friend hears someone outside. We all go out to see if it was a guy and bam! Instant fire fight. We dispatch him and start to grab his stuff when two more guys run down the street at us. One guy opens fire and I take him down in two or five shots. The other guy inexplicablly decides to lay down and stop moving?

Either way, after 2 hours of paranoia, that was the most intense 4 minutes of video game I think I've ever played.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    oh ok, thanks!

I thought that since the main guy was leaving it would never get out of alpha or something.

the main guy is staying to launch. Its a good and a bad thing and he really shouldn't have definitively said he was leaving with the game in PAID alpha. But it is what it is.

The company doubled the size of the dayz team so.... theres no worries good times ahead.

I have been out of actual patch loop for a sec- did the vid card fixes go live?

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    oh ok, thanks!

the main guy is staying to launch. Its a good and a bad thing and he really shouldn't have definitively said he was leaving with the game in PAID alpha. But it is what it is.

The company doubled the size of the dayz team so.... theres no worries good times ahead.

I have been out of actual patch loop for a sec- did the vid card fixes go live?

lord, I hope so. My game chugs in cities even with everything turned to lowest settings.

I don't have gods gift to computers, but it's not a bad rig.

• Options
    I think the GPU fix is still experimental only... but I can't confirm.

• Options
    after last night, I've never been so excited for vehicles to get patched into a game.

run run run run oh, a 15% incline .... walk walk walk walk walk walk

etc. etc.

least I FINALLY found a damn can opener!

also, encountered about 15 bugs last night.

first server died right as I was eating rice.

the result being when I logged back in that I had no rice and was still hungry and thirsty.

next go around, I was covering my friend as he went on the roof of some building in an airfield, so I was in perfect position to see him disappear and presently reappear in mid air, immediately falling to his death =(

he said he was standing there and all of a sudden his screen flashed and he was dead.

also, all of us ran to the woods to quit and move to a different server. When we logged into the new one, we were all still together .... in the middle of an air strip. Thankfully, no one was nearby.

and finally, I'm assuming the server we were in crashed because we all lost control of our characters and were booted to the start screen

a bad DayZ night.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    New patch is out. It takes a lot of time to join a server and some of the time you wait your character is in game. Which is not really a good thing with zombies being able to respawn. Oh, and zombies are back to making you bleed every first hit. There seemed to be some server lag/desync issues. I don't know if it is the patch or just lots of people trying to play right now. The "items now show up instantly when you drop them" seems to be client side or something because while it works, my friend still had to wait for the item to show up for him. In other words, it only fixed half of the problem.

It's probably worth waiting a day or two for a patch fix, or for the server issues to be fixed.

• Options
    on a funny note, I logged into a night time server for the first time last night by accident and thought my graphics card was broken again.

I mean come on. I understand it gets dark at night, but not -that- damn dark.

• Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    New patch is out. It takes a lot of time to join a server and some of the time you wait your character is in game. Which is not really a good thing with zombies being able to respawn. Oh, and zombies are back to making you bleed every first hit. There seemed to be some server lag/desync issues. I don't know if it is the patch or just lots of people trying to play right now. The "items now show up instantly when you drop them" seems to be client side or something because while it works, my friend still had to wait for the item to show up for him. In other words, it only fixed half of the problem.

It's probably worth waiting a day or two for a patch fix, or for the server issues to be fixed.

Is that on Experimental or Stable branches?

• Options
    i been waiting for a bit. I think ill jump in after the next cycle.... cehicles are close and there lots of new towns on the exp branch. Tons of new guns...

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

Is that on Experimental or Stable branches?

Stable
    i been waiting for a bit. I think ill jump in after the next cycle.... vehicles are close and there lots of new towns on the exp branch. Tons of new guns...

"Once the current build is stabilized we want to finish up on our “survival” push for the month. This means hunting and cooking finished and process on our “survival combat” which involves the bow and arrow, crossbow, improvised weapons, and thrown items. In the more distant future we’re already planning for vehicles and barricading systems."

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited March 2014

this is coming too. good bye, broken assed night.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
  • Options
    wooooooooooooow

new patch turned DayZ into a great big suckfest (and not the good kind).

Good luck trying to loot a town or going anywhere near one with a zombie respawn time of about 2 seconds.

add to that the fact that I'm now lagging really REALLY badly on every server, I think I'm giving this game up for a bit until they fix it.

As it stands, it is barely playable and completely unenjoyable.

Which is a huge shame, because I loved it before this patch.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm actually super excited Dean is leaving. The guy had a great idea, but it's been a constant mess of execution and implementation since DayZ came out as a mod. It's been a buggy, fucked up mess, with more and more completely random (and broken) systems layered on top of the already busted foundation. The guy is completely ADHD about his ideas, and actually thinks adding shit like handcuffs is more important than fixing long existing game breaking bugs.

Maybe with him leaving some actual professionals can come in and take DayZ from being an interesting tech demo to an actual game. And I agree 100% @mojojoeo‌. There is a serious cult of personality that has sprung up around Dean that is pretty much completely unjustified. The guy had a good idea, but has yet to ever capitalize on it or execute it well or correctly. The fact that he is seen as infallible is infuriating to those of us who want DayZ to be something more than the half ass mod it's been for two years running.

In the end, I think Dean was doing more harm to the long term health of DayZ than good. He planted the seed, it's time to let some actual professionals tend the farm.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Dean is great at ideas, but bad at implementation because he's like a bipolar shotgun jumping all over the damn place rather than just doing good progressive staging.

• Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    The only issue is if those "professionals" grow that seed into something really lame.

Rocket definitely lacks focus, but overall he's stayed true to his vision in the long term. I don't know that he's really the best person to lead it any more in terms of the actual development process, but I think he should still be involved to keep things on track. Or else it could go the way the mod was going when that was handed over to the community. I'd rather have sporadic goofy implementations of handcuffs and nonsense, than see the game change into something it was never meant to be.

The impression I got is that he will still be involved in some capacity, so here's hoping it all works out for the better.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Handcuffs and headbags are fine.

Its just not fine that you are so scatterbrained that you think implementing them is more important than fixing core functionality issues like loot respawning without server restarts.

not you as in you @Ash of Yew

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Rocket bailing on this project entirely fits with the impression he's given me of consistently being somebody who is a lousy lead on a project because he just doesn't think through the ramifications of his "vision" and dismisses valid criticisms because people don't "get it".

He had a great conceptual idea, but he's done a pretty crap job of executing it without endless problems because he just refuses to budge in the slightest on things that clearly deserve attention. There are shitloads of changes that could've been made to improve the game and experience without gutting the game at all, but they weren't his ideas, so they never happened. The sooner he's gone, the better, because he hit the limits of his usefulness on the project not long after the release of the original mod.

EDIT: And to be fair, I'm glad Rocket came up with the concept of DayZ; it's a good concept, and it's been a great benefit to the ARMA developers. He just isn't project manager material.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    I think your post is pretty unfair Ninja Snarl P.

He's just lacking in focus, I don't think he ignores good ideas or else he wouldn't be in such constant contact with the community asking them for ideas. That's what I respect about him though, is that he stays true to what he wants the game to be and doesn't just go with every idea, even some "good" ones if they don't fit with what he's trying to do.

A perfect example is how he took out bandit/hero skins shortly before handing the mod over to the community, who promptly put them back in because "omg you NEED a way of knowing if some one's a bandit." Anyone who's spent any deal of time with the game knows, that those skins are useless and cause more harm than good. Those are the sort of ideas he doesn't like. He's never claimed to be making anything except the game he wants to play, so of course he isn't going to implement ideas that don't coincide with that.

On the flip side, they finally implemented accelerated time today which has been something people have constantly been asking for. I have seen on multiple occasions where he says "that's a great idea" and bam, it gets put in.

The guy isn't perfect but I can guarantee if some other person got put in charge of DayZ the game would get watered down and hand holdy quick (to some extent). He needs to be put into some sort of supervising/overall ideas guy position and have some one else in charge of the actual development though.

Bottom line is the game is still in Alpha, and while their process is a bunch of shit right now (I haven't played in over a month and in case it isn't obvious I love DayZ) we just gotta hope in the long term it works out. I don't know how long they plan to beta for but we're still looking at over a year till actual release, so if they decide to implement stupid shit instead of loot respawn now but in the end finally get all their shit together then such is life.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    He's just lacking in focus, I don't think he ignores good ideas or else he wouldn't be in such constant contact with the community asking them for ideas. That's what I respect about him though, is that he stays true to what he wants the game to be and doesn't just go with every idea, even some "good" ones if they don't fit with what he's trying to do.
    And to a certain extent, this was certainly a good thing on his part; for something like DayZ to happen, somebody would certainly need to hold fast to certain things.

The problem was that, beyond the original concept, that was most of what he offered to the project. I should definitely rephrase from being happy with him getting off the project to being happy he won't be the one in charge of it; in a creative capacity, he would help a lot more than in a managerial one. A common theme in game development is people with great ideas and lousy ability for execution, which I really feel is Rocket's case. But when somebody creative gets coupled with people who can actually accomplish things, then really great things can happen. Sure, it's nice that he's finally implementing something like accelerated time, but it would've been better if he'd done something like that a couple of years ago because people were still asking for that sort of thing back then. And two years is hardly a quick turnaround for an idea.

I mean, ignoring any subjective complaints I've had about the DayZ stuff, the fact is that the thing is still a buggy, glitchy, incomplete mess, and that's how it was when I started on it, what, almost 2 years ago now? Yeah, they underwent an engine change in that time, but dealing with core engine issues is one of the major functions of an alpha state. At some point, somebody has to step in and go "we need to fix this really broken shit so people will actually buy this thing in numbers we would like", which doesn't seem to be up there on Rocket's priorities. And I mean literally broken things, not just gameplay stuff that irritates some people.

I hope the folks at Bohemia give Rocket the credit he's due for bringing so much interest to their engine, but the game needs somebody who is a real problem-solver for major issues.

• Options
    Yeah I don't disagree, although I guess I'm a bit more forgiving in that I try my best to treat the stand alone as an alpha of an entirely new game, since so much of it really was reworked from the ground up. In that sense, stuff like day/night cycles (just as an example, not to get hung up on it) or even loot respawning etc I can see taking a back seat, for a period. However, I do completely agree that by this point (around 4 months later) some of this shit really should have been sorted out, and there's no denying that their priorities are all out of wack.

• Options
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    I think your post is pretty unfair Ninja Snarl P.

A perfect example is how he took out bandit/hero skins shortly before handing the mod over to the community, who promptly put them back in because "omg you NEED a way of knowing if some one's a bandit." Anyone who's spent any deal of time with the game knows, that those skins are useless and cause more harm than good. Those are the sort of ideas he doesn't like. He's never claimed to be making anything except the game he wants to play, so of course he isn't going to implement ideas that don't coincide with that.

On the flip side, they finally implemented accelerated time today which has been something people have constantly been asking for. I have seen on multiple occasions where he says "that's a great idea" and bam, it gets put in.

The guy isn't perfect but I can guarantee if some other person got put in charge of DayZ the game would get watered down and hand holdy quick (to some extent). He needs to be put into some sort of supervising/overall ideas guy position and have some one else in charge of the actual development though.

Bottom line is the game is still in Alpha, and while their process is a bunch of shit right now (I haven't played in over a month and in case it isn't obvious I love DayZ) we just gotta hope in the long term it works out. I don't know how long they plan to beta for but we're still looking at over a year till actual release, so if they decide to implement stupid shit instead of loot respawn now but in the end finally get all their shit together then such is life.

I see they also made zombies faster .... which when coupled with the 2 second respawn times ....

• Options
    I mean, ignoring any subjective complaints I've had about the DayZ stuff, the fact is that the thing is still a buggy, glitchy, incomplete mess, and that's how it was when I started on it, what, almost 2 years ago now? Yeah, they underwent an engine change in that time, but dealing with core engine issues is one of the major functions of an alpha state. At some point, somebody has to step in and go "we need to fix this really broken shit so people will actually buy this thing in numbers we would like", which doesn't seem to be up there on Rocket's priorities. And I mean literally broken things, not just gameplay stuff that irritates some people

Considering the average time it takes to develop a game, I think the DayZ alpha is remarkably stable and playable. I also think you severely underestimate how big that engine change was.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Im not seeing the fast respawning zombies?

I am seeing them being faster moving and ready to leap at a moments notice.

And i'm on the anti rocket train too. Great idea- but He regularly forgets its a game. IE - he WANTS to lock the day night cycle so that people who have jobs never ever play during the daytime in game. He didnt see this as an issue for the longest.

Grand ideas a game maketh not. It has to be playable.

And Hicks and some of the other folks on the project are BALLERS. I cant wait till its turned over to the team.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Pretty much.

Rocket being obsessed with his vision is fine for a mod that he' developing on his own.

But for a paying product, You have to compromise the more stupid parts of your vision make people giving you money happy. also, its a game.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Over a million sales on an alpha, and a continued top ranking in sales through a winter sale for that matter, all says you guys are absolutely wrong. The game is already a huge financial success. Hell it was a huge financial success when it was just a mod. They don't need to compromise on anything at this point, that's the beauty of why they can do what they're doing.

There's a market for the game Rocket is making, and it coincides happily with what I've been waiting since 1997 when I first played Ultima Online for. It's unfortunate that a lot of you seem to not think his vision of a game makes a good game, but that's fine because there's a DayZ clone popping up every day it seems.

You guys knew what you were buying, when has Rocket ever said he's not making the game he wants to make?
    And i'm on the anti rocket train too. Great idea- but He regularly forgets its a game. IE - he WANTS to lock the day night cycle so that people who have jobs never ever play during the daytime in game. He didnt see this as an issue for the longest.
    This is just ridiculous. The reason he wanted a full day/night cycle was because of immersion, and more importantly because with the future plans of implementing farming and other systems that are directly related to time cycles it's not a trivial issue of just "oh man people hate night, lets change it." And guess what, they did change it any ways, because he realized that the way it was sucked. And you're also crazy if you think people with jobs never played during the day, it's always been a server setting to at least off set the day/night cycle. There's also a difference between seeing something as an issue and a priority, and something Rocket does is try his best not to jump on the easiest solution, especially if it interferes with immersion.

You guys are just really misinformed and jumping to some pretty childish "anti-rocket" conclusions, as is often the case I see with people hating on him. There's plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the guy, but making up shit about how he just wants to screw people with jobs? Seriously?

Any ways sorry to rain on the Rocket hate train, I'll crawl back to the SE thread where people actually do some research before hating on things. Except Buttcleft, who brought me here. Damn you Chuwero.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    DayZ's current sales number are just proof that you can make a large amount of money on name alone, nothing to do with quality.

You also have to ensure you put out a good product or you'll never be able to do that again in the future. Nobody will want to invest in a game by guys who took millions and put out a terrible product.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    DayZ's current sales number are just proof that you can make a large amount of money on name alone, nothing to do with quality.

You also have to ensure you put out a good product or you'll never be able to do that again in the future. Nobody will want to invest in a game by guys who took millions and put out a terrible product.

I'm sorry, but games don't stay at the top of the steam's top sellers for 3 months on name alone.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Nevermind.

Cobalt60 on