Options

[Doctor Who] Calling it now, River Song is Mrs. Claus

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    If anyone wants more Derek Jacobi as the Master, may I suggest Scream of the Shalka? It also stars the Great Intelligence as the Ninth Doctor and Liz X as the companion. Also David Tennant as a background random.

I feel it makes most sense as some alternate post-Time War timeline.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    nah, it's canon
    just roll with it, doctor who can be contradictory

• Options
    True that. Atlantis is a fine example of Who's self-contradiction.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Coinage wrote: »
    Snork wrote: »
    I loved the Master the first time around mostly due to his totally rad reveal episode with Sir Derek f'ing Jacobi and was therefore super jazzed to see him again in the End of Time...
    I was not pleased with the result. :c
    Yeah, he was fantastic in Utopia, I wish they had kept him, and he probably would have saved us from super saiyan. But I suppose it was not to be.

That reminds me, I hope 12 visits Sarah Jane's grave, the End of Time was really not enough of a goodbye to Elizabeth Sladen.

I...dude it's not like John Simm wrote the episode

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Butler wrote: »
    Just watched The Ribos Operation and now I have to post this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBCu105XTas
    binro_was_right_by_blu3vibration-d4v5i2y.jpg

The Ribos Operation is such a fantastic story. Robert Holmes yet again.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of the Key to Time season. I think it's overall pretty good with a couple of missteps.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I know John Simm didn't write it, but it was still a really horrible performance. I don't know how much could have been done with that script though.

Also
    omg eighth doctor yes

• Options
    I liked Simm's Master and the idea of playing him kind of like the Joker. The plots he was in were terrible, I'd call them the nadir of the show if Fear her and Daleks in Manhattan didn't exist, but I thought his two-man scenes with Tennant were really well done.

And the news in the spoiler makes me super happy. The guy has earned it.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Derek Jacobi is great, though it super bugs me that he's one of these dudes that thinks Shakespeare didn't actually write his own plays

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Most conspiracy theories are stupid but the Shakespeare ones manage to be stupid and classist.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Exactly! I watched that Anonymous movie a while back and the very strong undertone was that rich people with a good education are always going to turn out better stuff than any poor person possibly could

Also the Earl of Oxford was the greatest swordsman in England and probably fucked the queen too because he is just so best

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Exactly! I watched that Anonymous movie a while back and the very strong undertone was that rich people with a good education are always going to turn out better stuff than any poor person possibly could

Also the Earl of Oxford was the greatest swordsman in England and probably fucked the queen too because he is just so best

Didn't it also imply the queen was his mother?

That is 12 kinds of fucked up. Minimum.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Snork wrote: »
    I loved the Master the first time around mostly due to his totally rad reveal episode with Sir Derek f'ing Jacobi and was therefore super jazzed to see him again in the End of Time...
    I was not pleased with the result. :c
    Yeah, he was fantastic in Utopia, I wish they had kept him, and he probably would have saved us from super saiyan. But I suppose it was not to be.

That reminds me, I hope 12 visits Sarah Jane's grave, the End of Time was really not enough of a goodbye to Elizabeth Sladen.

I...dude it's not like John Simm wrote the episode
    I know, but it's really difficult for me to imagine Derek Jacobi shooting lightning out of his hands and flying, so maybe RTD would have realized it was a bad idea too.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Didn't it also imply the queen was his mother?

That is 12 kinds of fucked up. Minimum.

Hahaha I forgot about that
    What a piece of shit

• Options
    So apparently I a) am terrible at painting window frames and b) spend too much time playing with toys and LEDs.
    h3YW85t.jpg

JnslGKi.jpg

By the way, that War Doctor action figure (with bonus Eighth Doctor head)? Without a shadow of a doubt the best quality figurine Character has produced over the past couple of years. Definitely in the top five of their whole range thus far.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    "My favorite compansions," a list by Jacob, age 34:

0. The Brigadier - doesn't quite count as a companion in the usual way, but fuck it, he remains my favorite character on the show that isn't the Doctor, and just about ties the Doctor. He was smart and cool and brave and had this impossible gravitas even when surrounded by cactuses wrapped in bubble wrap and aluminum foil.
    1. Ace - she and the Seventh had a really interesting mentor/apprentice relationship that hasn't been done before or since. It wasn't paternal, it wasn't romantic, and it wasn't a pair of equals; every story was about expanding Ace's perspective, sometimes cruelly, but she was always opinionated and competent in a way that a lot of off-the-shelf "strong female characters" are not.
    2. Donna - Donna is the modern companion that reminds me most of the classic ones; she doesn't have a special relationship with the Doctor or any kind of unique origin and often gets into trouble and screams a bit, but their partnership feels so natural and warm that you never once wonder why she's there.
    3. Jamie - the Doctor's first and best bro. The double act of a brave, foolhardy Scottish clansman with Troughton's nervous, fidgety, slightly cowardly Doctor just sparked so well, and both actors gave off a sense of warm familiarity with each other. I love the idea, suggested in The Two Doctors, that the pair just spent unseen years traveling and bro-ing out together.
    4. Ian and Barbara - Until Grace in the TV movie and Rose in the reboot, they had the unique position of being companions who were really the main characters or even heroes of the show. The first Doctor is downright sinister at points and it's the two teachers' fundamental decency that turns him into the figure we know today.
    5. Turlough - I really like the different texture the show gets when the Doctor has a male companion, and the role of a secret enemy who warms up to the Doctor and becomes an ally - without ever really losing his self-interested or even somewhat cowardly edge - remains a really interesting and fresh take. It doesn't hurt that the actor, Mark Strickson, had a really lean, predatory look.
    6. Romana - In both incarnations, she and the Doctor have a really cool partnership of equals and the repartee between the characters got the lion's share of the effort from the writers and it shows; their dialogue is fun and effervescent and playful. But too often the stories around them are disposable trash ("NIMON! IT IS I, SOLDEED!").
    7. Sarah Jane - Sarah Jane was created with the idea that this would be a progressive, modern, feminist character, so of course the writers and staff made her a mouthy dame reporter - but that's okay, really, because mouthy dame reporters were some of the best and smartest roles actresses could get back in the day and it is still miles better than being a generic screaming victim. She played really well off of Jon Pertwee's stuffy, self-important patriarch, but I feel like as her tenure lengthened the writers kind of filed down her interesting edges and made her more generic - but by that point she was in the classic Hinchcliffe era and was being "more generic" in some of the best stories the show has ever had. So I think the modern show treating her as almost the default old-series companion is more down to the length of her tenure and the prestige of the stories she was in than any inherent quality of the character, but I'm glad that Elizabeth Sladen got a second and well-deserved chance to show her chops.
    8. Rose - hatters gon hat. I like Billie Piper's performance - I would be a liar if I said I wasn't genuinely moved at times, a claim I cannot often lay at the feet of the old show, much as it excites or interests me, it rarely gutted me - and I like the conception of a companion that has a real life to leave behind and real consequences for doing so. The other thing I think is important about Rose that isn't often talked about is that she's the first time the show explicitly dealt with something that fans of all ages have thought about: the idea that travelling with the Doctor could be a way to escape a dead-end life. A lot of companions have joined the Doctor from necessity (their space station or whatever was blowing up), or by accident, or because it's their job (the UNIT companions and Romana) or just as a lark - but anyone who watched and loved this show as a kid has probably wished at some time or another that a blue box would come and spirit us away from boring school or shitty job or whatever, and Rose's story acknowledges that and made it a whole thing and I really connected iwth her character and story because of it. (Seen in this context, by the way, I view Donna as Davies doing that theme again but better.)

Leela is not on this list. Why?
    and Brigader was definately a companion.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    See some pictures from the filming of s8e5 here. May or may not contain spoilers, it's hard to tell at this point.

• Options
    See some pictures from the filming of s8e5 here. May or may not contain spoilers, it's hard to tell at this point.
    Hahaha, that second picture. Get this fucking coat off me, it's time to film Doctor Who

• Options
    Keeley Hawes (Ashes to Ashes, Line of Duty) will be starring in Season 8 as a villainous banker named Ms. Delphox.

• Options
    It is bloody criminal this wasn't included as an extra in any of the box sets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giaMRyn47Xg

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    That's bloody amazing

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The Brigadier is badass. In Day of the Daleks he rolls up in a jeep and causally unloads a machine gun into a bad guy then hops down and says something like, "Lovely weather Doctor!"

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Jenkins! Chap with wings there. Five rounds rapid.

• Options
    Just watched The Ribos Operation and now I have to post this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBCu105XTas
    binro_was_right_by_blu3vibration-d4v5i2y.jpg

The Ribos Operation is such a fantastic story. Robert Holmes yet again.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of the Key to Time season. I think it's overall pretty good with a couple of missteps.

Just finished The Armageddon Factor. I enjoyed The Key to Time season, but I feel like the production team really missed a trick not having The Black Guardian or his servants turn up until the final story. The Black Guardian is described as an enormous threat to the Doctor in the first part of The Ribos Operation but then we see neither hide nor hair of him for twenty more episodes. It would have been very easy to have snuck him in a couple of times at least without changing the structures of the stories very much at all, kind of like how New Who did with the Bad Wolf and Saxon references.

• Options
    TojiKTojiK Registered User regular
    I think Adric needs to be higher on people's list. Motherfucker is like so many of us, sucked into the whimsey and adventure that comes with the Doctor. Yes, he had a hard time fitting in, but he's a kid.

His last action is him literally going out like a hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVlVSd-xPlI

For real that's some heavy shit.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    So my wife and I are watching this again and Andrew Garfield just showed up as a hobo from Tennessee in the 30's, and his american southern accent is hilarious.

Langly on
  • Options
    oh man just skip those two episodes dude

• Options
    His accent just takes a grand old tour through the US. How far he's come since then.

I actually appreciated Daleks in Manhattan far more the second time around than I did the first time. A lot of the issues it suffers are from poor acting and terrible accents. It was a different direction to usual Dalek stories and had Martha being resourceful rather than pining. If I'd just seen it in text (as a script or novella or what have you), I'd probably have quite liked it.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    TojiK wrote: »
    I think Adric needs to be higher on people's list. Motherfucker is like so many of us, sucked into the whimsey and adventure that comes with the Doctor. Yes, he had a hard time fitting in, but he's a kid.

Hang on, he goes out like an absolute schmuck. The Doctor already stated that they were back when the dinosaurs died, so there was no peril to stop. He could have gotten off with the others and been fine.

• Options
    oh man just skip those two episodes dude

are you kidding this episode ended with a dalek wearing spats. It's the only interesting thing a dalek has ever done

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    TojiK wrote: »

Hang on, he goes out like an absolute schmuck. The Doctor already stated that they were back when the dinosaurs died, so there was no peril to stop. He could have gotten off with the others and been fine.

He had no way of knowing, though. He stayed behind and died trying to save the Earth, which is made all the more tragic by the fact it was unnecessary.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    His accent just takes a grand old tour through the US. How far he's come since then.

I actually appreciated Daleks in Manhattan far more the second time around than I did the first time. A lot of the issues it suffers are from poor acting and terrible accents. It was a different direction to usual Dalek stories and had Martha being resourceful rather than pining. If I'd just seen it in text (as a script or novella or what have you), I'd probably have quite liked it.

I think the Doctor just shrugging at the Daleks killing a whole mess of people so they could use them as bodies makes the show irredeemable.

But there is also that whole thing with Time Lord DNA making you question and Human DNA making you subservient.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

I think the Doctor just shrugging at the Daleks killing a whole mess of people so they could use them as bodies makes the show irredeemable.

But there is also that whole thing with Time Lord DNA making you question and Human DNA making you subservient.

I must've mentally skimmed over the first of those two and completely forgotten about the second.

I guess with the DNA, if Helen Raynor was being wholly faithful to canon, Time Lord DNA would just make you arrogant, complacent and embarrassingly reliant on the Doctor (even though you prefer to think otherwise).

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Dont forget he left yet another person in a fate worse than death.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I don't know why he couldn't take that dude into the future for some plastic surgery.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I don't know why he couldn't take that dude into the future for some plastic surgery.

Im pretty sure the year x,000,000 or whatever could cure him completely.

To bad he got Ten.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    In a shocking development, Mark Gatiss has confirmed his return for Season 8.

I love Gatiss' writing but we are now six for six on episodes written by white dudes. Here's hoping there's a bit more diversity in the writers for the seven episodes yet to be accounted for.

• Options
    In a shocking development, Mark Gatiss has confirmed his return for Season 8.

I love Gatiss' writing but we are now six for six on episodes written by white dudes. Here's hoping there's a bit more diversity in the writers for the seven episodes yet to be accounted for.
    I hate Gatiss :( I liked Unquiet Dead, but the rest of his episodes are terrible. But of course he's always going to get episodes, so I guess there's no use complaining about it.

• Options
    Have we had any writers since the start of series 5 who weren't white dudes? I know we've only had one female writer for four out of (if I counted correctly) the 104 episodes in the past nine years, which is a pretty poor statistic.

• Options
    Hey kid how about don't steal my fucking watch that has my fuckin consciousness in it, how about that you psychic jerk

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Hey kid how about don't steal my fucking watch that has my fuckin consciousness in it, how about that you psychic jerk

It's Jojen Reed

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.