As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of Shield] Thread is under quarantine for potential Captain America 2 spoilers!

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So the episode that's on tomorrow night will take place prior to the events of Cap2, correct? And next week's will be post-movie?

at least you guys are getting in order.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Well I dunno Cap 2's Japan release, but Agents of Shield is on cable here, and someone didn't think about my viewing needs at all!

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yea, even if the delays have been annoying, I'm at least glad that the viewing order is happening the way it is.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    And actually in order, as opposed to some other show I could mention. *cough Almost Human cough*

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    God, this schedule shit is killing me. I was one of the people who thought the first couple episodes weren't so great, but things started picking up and I was really getting into things when the Olympics came along and cocked it all up. I have to go to the doctor today because my erection for the return of this show followed by Cap 2 has lasted for more than 4 hours.

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    So for the couple of people that have seen the movie (movie spoiler)
    are we being set up to think that May is Hydra? Before Cap 2, I would have thought she was just a mole for Hand or the Clairvoyant, but now...

• Options
    Lou29 wrote: »
    are we being set up to think that May is Hydra? Before Cap 2, I would have thought she was just a mole for Hand or the Clairvoyant, but now...

I don't think so...
    I actually think that May is working personally for Fury, keeping an eye on Coulson for him.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Lou29 wrote: »

I don't think so...
    I actually think that May is working personally for Fury, keeping an eye on Coulson for him.

Cap2 spoilers:
    I doubt that May is HYDRA, but there's going to be a lot of suspicion, and someone in the command chain she's been reporting to probably is HYDRA. She may not be reporting directly to Fury, but to someone she thinks is acting on his authority. When it's all a case of trusting in the command chain, you only really need to replace one link in the chain to mess everything up.
    It raises the same problem they had in the movie; if the guy pointing a gun at you is a loyal SHIELD agent (ie. someone who will follow the orders of his superiors), but the person giving the orders is HYDRA, what do you do about the guy pointing a gun at you?

For potential aware-HYDRA agents on the show, I'm guessing either Victoria Hand and/or whoever Bill Paxton was (I don't know what correlation either of these would have to the comics).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    So I am watching this on British TV so miles, miles behind where you are in America but having seen Cap2 all I can say is:
    I feel like a genius at the moment.

In response to criticism about the make-up of the team I said in the previous thread that the team looked like it was specifically set up by Fury as much as possible to avoid outside corruption - being made up of rookies, outsiders and loners - almost as if he suspected there was a problem inside S.H.I.E.L.D. that might need to be investigated.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    So I am watching this on British TV so miles, miles behind where you are in America but having seen Cap2 all I can say is:
    I feel like a genius at the moment.

In response to criticism about the make-up of the team I said in the previous thread that the team looked like it was specifically set up by Fury as much as possible to avoid outside corruption - being made up of rookies, outsiders and loners - almost as if he suspected there was a problem inside S.H.I.E.L.D. that might need to be investigated.

Except for the fact that
    no one ever batted an eye at all the shady stuff they had to do and went along with their orders without question.

Get involved in an internal political conflict in Peru and fight a bunch of anti-government rebels? Sure.

Kill some clueless security guards working in a random factory? Whatever.

Sabotage a separatist movement fighting for independence from Russia? OK.

Repeatedly violate the sovereignty of other nations and bully the local authorities into agreeing? Meh.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Bah, so many spoilers on this page.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    And actually in order, as opposed to some other show I could mention. *cough Firefly cough*

Fixed for sadness.

• Options
    So, here is a photo from the episode "Providence." I will hide behind spoiler tags because...um...it leads to some major spoilery questions.
    134984_9711_pre.jpg

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Well, someone interesting listed in the opening credits.
    Brad Dourif. Probably the clairvoyant.
    Later in the episode:
    Edit: Maybe called it. Or a red herring.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Calling it now: May's secretly working for Fury.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    May is secretly working for Hand but she doesn't know it. Its a blind test thing.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Can Marvel use the
    Skrull
    On tv? It was heavily implied that
    coulson and skye
    were going to be targeted because of their
    kree
    treatment.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Can Marvel use the
    Skrull
    On tv? It was heavily implied that
    coulson and skye
    were going to be targeted because of their
    kree
    treatment.
    Skrull and Kree are free and clear for the MCU. Skrulls like the Super Skrull are off-limits.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Fuck I thought that Winter Soldier ad before the end credits/preview was actually part of the show.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Was that Klaw during the "next episode" montage?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Fuck I thought that Winter Soldier ad before the end credits/preview was actually part of the show.

It fit in well enough with the pacing of the episode that it might as well have been.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Great episode tonight. I like where this is going!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So this episode was kinda-sorta what people who complained about Agents of Shield wanted all along, and it totally wouldn't have worked without the foundation which was built earlier in the season.

Great episode all around. The one flaw I'd say is that Deathlok's outfit looks super hokey. When it was just the leg it was fine, but as they've been adding more onto it, it keeps looking more....fake. I dunno.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Not shy about spoiling things, either.

The identity of the Winter Soldier isn't a spoiler.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Was that Klaw during the "next episode" montage?

I think that was
    The Overkill device.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    So SHIELD basically has the authority to
    violate people's rights in their search for people with super powers, supersede the authority of the nation that person is a citizen of, and monitor that person for the rest of their life?

Yeah, SHIELD totally deserves to be destroyed and anyone who went along with their policies should be taken down.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    The one flaw I'd say is that Deathlok's outfit looks super hokey. When it was just the leg it was fine, but as they've been adding more onto it, it keeps looking more....fake. I dunno.

I hope the lights down his back slowly disappeared as he gets injured, just like a RIG in Dead Space. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Loved the x-ray shot of him though.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    decided to catch the episode during broadcast

felt like a really solid episode. Pretty happy with it.
    a bit bummed that I misunderstood Sitwell on the red carpet, and that his "go from the show to the film" moment happens here.

Is the Triskelion something we've seen or heard of it previous episodes? It's a neat (family of) symbol(s), but I don't know what it has to do with SHIELD; either generally or the particular MCU version. It was mentioned at least twice.

Did it look like Nash had green blood to anyone else? Must have been a trick of the light.

not sure how I feel about Garrett having access to the icer, though I do appreciate the new name being used in a familiar fashion.

I tend towards hating commercials, but there was an absurdly cute one that re-did bits of the cap 2 trailer with little kids

makes me wish it hadn't been a commercial (i.e., trying to sell something unrelated) and had instead been Marvel having a bit of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2oOmsT56A

edit: huh, I think that version is longer than the one I saw on tv

Tamin on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    The Triskelion is the name of SHIELD's HQ in the Ultimate Marvel comics. Its been mentioned a few times in the show, but has not yet been seen. It probably serves the same function, though. It'll probably be seen in Cap2, though since I have not seen the movie, I cannot say.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    The Triskelion is the name of SHIELD's HQ in the Ultimate Marvel comics. Its been mentioned a few times in the show, but has not yet been seen. It probably serves the same function, though. It'll probably be seen in Cap2, though since I have not seen the movie, I cannot say.

cool

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

I have, and can:
    It's a central part of the movie, located in DC (rather than New York in the comics, because 90% of existence in the comics is with ten miles of New York).
    It's very nice, very impressive, but I'm not expecting the show to go there.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KPC wrote: »
    It is to me!

• Options
    edited April 2014
    KPC wrote: »
    It is to me!

Wow, that's impressive given its been out there since the casting was revealed a year or so ago. All honesty here, I wish I could avoid spoilers like that. Still, I'm not the worst off. I have a friend who had the entire end of the movie + post credits scenes spoiled months ago because an innocent looking link that had nothing to do with the movie went to the spoilers.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    violate people's rights in their search for people with super powers, supersede the authority of the nation that person is a citizen of, and monitor that person for the rest of their life?

Yeah, SHIELD totally deserves to be destroyed and anyone who went along with their policies should be taken down.

"Shield sees the world for what it is, not what we'd like it to be" - Fury

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

I'll be honest...
    given the fact that SHIELD apparently has the authority to nuke a major US city, them having the authority to violate peoples rights is REALLY low on my list of "Bad things about MCU SHIELD".

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    First off, the episode was fantastic and really makes me look forward to the rest of the season.

Second, a fun easter egg in the episode:
    Department H was name dropped. Alpha Flight exists in the MCU.

@Jdarksun as for the Skrull, they are free to use in the MCU. In fact, we have already seen references to them in AoS.

Eye_Spy_Screencap.jpg

This is the Skrull language written on the chalk board.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I had somewhat fallen off the show for a while, but with all the strong ties that Cap2 is suppose to bring to it I decided to check out tonight's episode.

Much, much improved! I'll actually have to keep watching it.

• Options

In a world where Tony Stark can build a war machine in his basement, and Bruce Banner can accidentally turn himself into a giant green rage monster, we need something like SHIELD that can do exactly those things you dislike.

• Options
    Heck, the show has already shown why an organization like Shield is a necessary evil: You have scientists creating gravity machines and hurricane creating doom machines, you have organizations creating super soldiers and cyborgs, people with unexplained powers starting to pop up all over the world with iffy mental stability, and alien tech that causes all sorts of problems.

Yea, Shield is needed. Also, they are just as unethical in the comics. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.