As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The true Story of Bioshock pg. 6 (Irrational closure)

123457»

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Bioshock Infinite for me was not a great game. In fact, I regret my decision to purchase it.

That's not to say that it's a bad game or that my standards are too high, because they're not.

The fact of the matter is that Bioshock Infinite had some really boring combat and weapons. You collect a whole bunch of "gear" in the game, yet it never really feels like there's any incentive to put on other gear. The gear system was so poorly done, that it wasn't even clear how to access the UI to switch to something else.

Then there was the matter of guns. You're forced to carry only a certain selection of weapons and couldn't really carry more. They felt weak, the upgrades were expensive, and really you ended up gravitating to only a certain selection of weapons because you know you will have tons of ammo for it.

The save system like another poster pointed out was terrible and at the hardest difficulties there were definitely moments where the AI felt cheap rather than challenging.

Also, this is just a personal thing. But I really couldn't get into the Booker and Elizabeth story. I didn't find the characters very likeable or interesting and the plot twist was very System Shock. Though it was executed well, at some point these types of twists are going to get tiresome.

However!

Not all was bad on Bioshock Infinite.

I loved the art style, I enjoyed the overall story, I thought Elizabeth was a great character, and it was a lot of fun exploring Columbia.

As for the "true story" of Bioshock. It doesn't really surprise me that Ken's kind of a douche. Though I understand why he made the decisions he made, he should have had more confidence in his team to help him make the game they wanted to make. Even though Bioshock wasn't the game for me, it definitely felt like a project that was made by talented and passionate game developers. I wished I could have loved it more, but I just don't think the Bioshock universe really appeals to my tastes. If I was more into the steam punk stuff, then absolutely I probably would have loved this game more.

Either way, sad to see Irrational shuttered.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif