Options

[Diablo 3:RoS] The Merch Hungers | see new thread

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    so with Seasons are they going to give us more character slots?
    seems fair to assume

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Short Shacknews QnA on the future of Diablos
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/84210/diablo-3-dev-team-discusses-reaper-of-souls-and-answers
    Shacknews: No rest for the weary. Even after releasing Reaper of Souls, you guys are already looking ahead to the big summer update. Can you tell us about some of what you have planned for 2.1?

Production Director John Hight: We're working on two major systems for the 2.1 release, first is Seasons. Seasons are a shard of the existing game where everything is a fresh start. You start with a brand new character without access to any of the gold or items you collected with your primary account for the length of the season. We plan on creating brand new, powerful legendaries that only drop within in the season. After the season ends, all of your progress — your experience, your items, your gold, etc. — will be rolled into the main roster. The goal is the fresh-start feeling — so many changes and tweaks have happened since the launch of Diablo III — it is really energizing and fun to recreate that 'first-moment-in-a-new-game' feeling.

We've also added leaderboards. Players can race on a variety of metrics to try to become the leader in their region or the top of their friends and clan lists. That friendly competition angle lends itself really well to Diablo games.

Second is Tiered Rifts. Tiered Rifts are variations on the Nephalem Rifts concept from Reaper of Souls. You have a timer to finish a Rift (kill enough monsters to draw out the boss and slay the boss) and the better you do, the more challenging the level that you get to tackle. For example, if you finished a Tiered Rift in just a few minutes, you’d get to jump ahead to a much harder rift. These will also have unique rewards, custom leaderboards, etc. Tiered Rifts are a new end game activity that offers both challenge and competition but are easy enough for everyone at max level (70) to try.
    I'm sure some people are fired up, but none of this has me excited at all. None of these things are likely to increase my enjoyment of the game, but they will most likely increase my resentment.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    In a way I should be thanking them for making me not want to play this game long-term, seeing as I have Wildstar creeping up in 5 weeks.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    "Season" only legendaries is the dumbest fucking thing and the exact thing I was worried about when they announced it.

Also, I get that fresh starts are sometimes neat, and at best novel, but they are nothing more than a slight speed bump that lasts a very short amount of time before it's just back to business as usual.

I am curious about what they're going to do about paragon levels for these 'Seasons' because olololol if they make those not count too. Wasted time hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Also also leaderboards are dumb, particularly for a game like Diablo and what a waste of developer time.

I have no opinion on the tiered rift thing. I'm ambivalent.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Also, this kind of shit just fragments clans and the player base further than SC/HC already does (I'm fine with that because the HC audience is established).

"Doing T1 rifts anyone want to join?"
    "Sure, I do."
    [can't join]
    "Oh wait, you're playing ladder (err, I mean season). Guess not."

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Tiered rifts sound perfect. Seasons... Seasons are cool in PoE because you have a much more granular control over gear, including the chance to Chance Orb into specific uniques. I suppose I'm not completely against the concept in D3, but I'd have to see the particulars.

• Options
    Also also leaderboards are dumb, particularly for a game like Diablo and what a waste of developer time.
    It's funny because the WoW team is basically going the opposite direction in the next expansion, with regards to realizing that kind of stuff for 24/7 players is basically a waste of effort and 99% of players don't care because it's a competition that they have no chance in.

I know realm first shit is slightly different than leaderboard shit, but I'd argue not by much. The people at the top of the leaderboards are the same ones who get realm firsts. Everyone else doesn't really care.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    It's funny because the WoW team is basically going the opposite direction in the next expansion, with regards to realizing that kind of stuff for 24/7 players is basically a waste of effort and 99% of players don't care because it's a competition that they have no chance in.

I know realm first shit is slightly different than leaderboard shit, but I'd argue not by much. The people at the top of the leaderboards are the same ones who get realm firsts. Everyone else doesn't really care.

On the other hand they're expanding the leaderboard-y aspect of Challenge Modes. But contradicting design philosophies is a core tenant of WoW development. :P

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Man I suppose I should move up a difficulty level, since I got the achievement for killing Cydea in under 30 seconds. I guess having a wrathful gargantuan punch her in the face for 66 million damage ruins her day or something. I'll have to see how survivable I am on torment 2 or 3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    yeah, the Seasons thing sounds pretty dumb

scenarios:
    1. Seasons last a short time, meaning you are rushed and feel forced to play to get those special Legos, making it a chore
    2. Seasons last a long time, meaning you're disconnected from your Paragon Levels and other such previously built up worth for a long time, which is frustrating because you worked hard for all that stuff to now not use it to get more cool stuff

it also splinters players, and in a game that you can now barely trade in, if you don't participate(or even if you do!), you're potentially missing out on cool items(the main point of the game) forever

fucks over new players too. "oh man cool sword, I need to find one." "nope sorry dude, you could only find it last November." "oh, I hate this game now."

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Awesome, more 'powerful legendaries' That can only drop in ladder but won't ever fucking drop the one you want/need for a specific build... and am i the only one who doesn't really enjoy the leveling process? i never really have but it was atleast 'okay' in diablo 2 (even the ladders because you'd have those couple crazies that would level really fast) because it was extremely easily to boost/get boosted in it? hundreds upon hundreds of 'boosting' games...

Also what made the ladder system 'slightly fun' in Diablo 2 for me atleast, was funnily enough, Trading! you could trade gear you didn't want/need and get gear you did fairly easily... i remember trading and getting a full IK set in fairly short order on a ladder season for my WW barb... but thats out in RoS...

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    start a new char

level 11

ladder only Lego drops

kill me

edit - clearly we barely know anything and details may arise that change perspective, but we'll see

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    If they just roll everything, including drops, into normal play then you can just safely ignore it. So hopefully that's what they do.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Wait I know what it is

ladder only legendaries will probably start dropping in normal mode after the season ends

It's the only way for it to make sense

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

I think you're misunderstanding the intent behind Seasons. The leaderboard thing is for poopsockers, but the real point is the fresh start to prevent mudflation. Let's face it, ARPGs get kind of boring when you hit the power ceiling. For most players, their power ceiling is probably at T2/T3 if that - that's when upgrades start getting pretty slow and you're going days with no change to your gear. At that point they quit playing and move on. Then a couple months later a new Season starts, their friends are starting fresh and maybe they're in the mood to come back again to be part of that event.

Without a reset, players who quit probably just don't come back. Even if they do come back for a new patch, soon they'll remember how slow their progression was and quit again.

Zek on
  • Options
    Zek wrote: »

I think you're misunderstanding the intent behind Seasons. The leaderboard thing is for poopsockers, but the real point is the fresh start to prevent mudflation. Let's face it, ARPGs get kind of boring when you hit the power ceiling. For most players, their power ceiling is probably at T2/T3 if that - that's when upgrades start getting pretty slow and you're going days with no change to your gear. At that point they quit playing and move on. Then a couple months later a new Season starts, their friends are starting fresh and maybe they're in the mood to come back again to be part of that event.

Without a reset, players who quit probably just don't come back. Even if they do come back for a new patch, soon they'll remember how slow their progression was and quit again.

It's not that you're wrong with what you're saying, it's just that since this is free to play after the purchase, those "gotta keep em playing" issues aren't nearly as relevant as for, say, WoW.

They obviously want to keep D3 in the front of peoples mind over the long term like they did with D2 (though I'd argue that ship has sailed, for the industry as a whole, D2 came out at the right time and place), but they don't need people to be logging in all the time; particularly with the AH gone.

As long as the xpack(s) is(are) still relevant enough, supported by major patches to keep attention, and people buy them, if folks drift for awhile, it's not that big of a deal.

• Options
    Wait I know what it is

ladder only legendaries will probably start dropping in normal mode after the season ends

that could make some sense

but I would argue that they have made decisions that don't make sense before

so we'll seeee

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    well kadala gave me an uhkapian serpent. guess that's something.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Blessed Shield, no rune.

With 37% block chance:
    Low crit: 5.5m
    High crit: 7.3m

With 67% block chance:
    Low crit: 6.5m
    High crit: 8.3m

It's definitely total modified block chance. The damage difference is very noticeable.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    hail hydra

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    The new legendaries may or may not be rolled into Normal, but either way it's clear that the intent is to encourage people to not play Normal anymore and instead just continually reset with each Season. I hope they use this as an excuse to do some improvements to being able to target specific Legendaries though - it makes sense for it to be hard to assemble a set if the game has to last for years, but if Seasons are just a few months long they don't have to be so stingy.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    is everybody gonna have to level up a whole new character for every ladder season?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    if the legendaries are good

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Wait I know what it is

That's a pretty awesome solution, and I hope that ends up being the case.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Further testing:

Block chance increased over 75% by Hit Me does seem to buff Pound. I went from 20-22m crits (67%) to 30m crits (100%) with Hit Me, changing nothing else.

Also, Hit Me modifies your existing block chance by 50%; i.e., if you have 50% it puts you at 75%. So you need to get to around 66-67 to get 100% block chance with it.

Haven't paid attention to if it makes you block all attacks. Will do that next.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    try going above 100%

edit: what I mean is, try going way above 100% (ie. Base 75% cap + punish + hit me) and see if the damage is that much higher

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    3clipse wrote: »
    Blessed Shield, no rune.

With 37% block chance:
    Low crit: 5.5m
    High crit: 7.3m

With 67% block chance:
    Low crit: 6.5m
    High crit: 8.3m

It's definitely total modified block chance. The damage difference is very noticeable.

I also noticed a significant damage increase with Blessed Shield + Punish buff. And I did some more digging and other sources confirm this as well. So, whatever I was reading earlier wasn't correct.

With Jekangbord, I understand the appeal of Blessed Shield.

doqglsh5hp1x.png

I crafted some basic rares to give myself +30% Blessed Shield damage on top of my +20% holy damage. So that's pretty amusing.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    also I suggest shield glare and judgement crit to expedite testing

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Judgment crit is super helpful for testing stuff because the yellow numbers are so much easier to see.

NICE block chance roll on that Jek.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I took that ss from my profile, so the block amount is wrong (it's something like 14k). Except for the extra bounce roll, it's a really nice shield. It's fun to watch the shields fly all over the screen, and I'm getting 6-9mil crits frequently. It unfortunately feels like a skill that isn't all that good without the legendary.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I took that ss from my profile, so the block amount is wrong (it's something like 14k). Except for the extra bounce roll, it's a really nice shield. It's fun to watch the shields fly all over the screen, and I'm getting 6-9mil crits frequently. It unfortunately feels like a skill that isn't all that good without the legendary.

Nobody should be using Blessed Shield without a Gyrfalcon, IMHO. Also, the Jekangbord is nice but will only help you on trash or with giant packs of mobs. Otherwise the extra shields are wasted because they will fly off and hit nothing. This is actually a fundamental problem with Blessed Shield in general - it is only good in large groups, and the scaling drops off dramatically. For example, compare a single Fissure strike which has at minimum two hits (generally many more) against the same target vs. just one Blessed Shield strike, and if you want to do something like proc AC Rally or an on-hit effect, it's not going to be nearly as effective. The other main spenders (hammers & FotH) scale very well regardless of how many targets are on the screen.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Why the effort to design 30+ something legendary belts when none of them are better than (or even close to) this lvl 60 Witching Hour...?

• Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Why the effort to design 30+ something legendary belts when none of them are better than (or even close to) this lvl 60 Witching Hour...?

razor strop and Harrington would like a word with you about that...

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    harrington is pretty godlike

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Nobody should be using Blessed Shield without a Gyrfalcon, IMHO. Also, the Jekangbord is nice but will only help you on trash or with giant packs of mobs. Otherwise the extra shields are wasted because they will fly off and hit nothing. This is actually a fundamental problem with Blessed Shield in general - it is only good in large groups, and the scaling drops off dramatically. For example, compare a single Fissure strike which has at minimum two hits (generally many more) against the same target vs. just one Blessed Shield strike, and if you want to do something like proc AC Rally or an on-hit effect, it's not going to be nearly as effective. The other main spenders (hammers & FotH) scale very well regardless of how many targets are on the screen.

Gyrfalcon is the other piece of the wombo combo, but Jekangbord is what makes the whole thing broken. It's the extra bounces that escalate your damage, and as long as you can keep your Wrath up it's not a problem. If you're having Wrath problems, definitely use another skill. But if you've got Reaper's Wraps and at least one Wrath generator on your bar, you should be ok. I also found that BS works great with Rally--each bounce has a chance to proc, and the proc rate seems to be higher than FotH/Divine Well.

I completely agree that there are simply better spenders with more utility. Blessed Shield is awful for single target damage. FotH is the Crusader's clear winning spender in this patch. That said, there aren't very many situations where you are only fighting one monster. And in those few where you are, you can either 1) train a group of monsters to your location, 2) provide other utility if in a group, or 3) switch up your skills before fighting a boss.

But like I said, the skill's biggest problem is that it's just plain poor without at least one of two legendaries, and it really needs to shine with two. I don't find that to be great skill design; stuff should work right out of the proverbial box, and legendaries that affect skills should open up new builds, rather than be prerequisites for even using a skill.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I don't know if that's a fair statement. My wife has been using blessed shield forever and just got Jekangbord two days ago. She wasn't doing the same level of damage I was with FotH, but she was doing more than enough to stay competitive and alive through torment.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Clan Matters

So the intent behind the clan is for regular posters/readers of the G&T and SE++ threads to have a place to interact with one another in the game. With a particular focus on regular poster/readers who are also regular players.

The clan is at the 150 member cap, but night after night I see the same 50 or so players. There are several people I haven't seen since the week they were added.

On the other side I have been asked on a fairly regular basis if there was space in the clan. By people who are posting here, and also logging in night after night.

I am going to purge some names from the roster.

I will then have a waiting period where those purged can appeal the purging.

I will then post here if any of those purged slots are free. First come first served, FFA, every man for himself get added asap etc etc.

Ideally instead of the same 25 people or so every night I see online, we have 100. For people who only play irregularly the community is probably the better option since it has no limit to it's number of members.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    Clan Matters

So the intent behind the clan is for regular posters/readers of the G&T and SE++ threads to have a place to interact with one another in the game. With a particular focus on regular poster/readers who are also regular players.

The clan is at the 150 member cap, but night after night I see the same 50 or so players. There are several people I haven't seen since the week they were added.

On the other side I have been asked on a fairly regular basis if there was space in the clan. By people who are posting here, and also logging in night after night.

I am going to purge some names from the roster.

I will then have a waiting period where those purged can appeal the purging.

I will then post here if any of those purged slots are free. First come first served, FFA, every man for himself get added asap etc etc.

Ideally instead of the same 25 people or so every night I see online, we have 100. For people who only play irregularly the community is probably the better option since it has no limit to it's number of members.

Motherfucking dibs I've been waiting to get into the clan forever, motherfucker! Nice, maybe this is my chance to tag along! :3

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I totally forgot to test above 100%, I have all the block items too

oh well, ill test it tomorrow with my sick piro marella

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
This discussion has been closed.