Options

[Watch Dogs] GTA4 impregnates Deus Ex, while NVidia PhysX watches like a voyeur. +DRM

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I'd bet there will be an option to turn off multi-player, only allow friends to come in or have it completely open.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Or they will add offline hackers in Dark Souls fashion.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    It's kind of too bad that you can't customize your character that shows up in other player's games a la GTAO.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Or they will add offline hackers in Dark Souls fashion.

Offline "invaders" in Dark Souls are regular enemies though. Always at set points. A lot of them don't respawn either.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Alright guys, I'm back on board with Watch_Dogs

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Tachikoma-like tank mission? I'm fully erect, now.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    New footage is on the web

True next-gen gameplay: your favorite single player games, now with 100% more racism, misogyny, and homophobia.

• Options
    Is that a fact? Because from what I read on the likes of Polygon and Kotaku these days videogames are guilty of all of these things. If that's the case, then surely that would be exacerbated by the movement by triple A publishers to shove multiplayer into every game, whether you want to be harassed by random internet strangers or not.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Is that a fact? Because from what I read on the likes of Polygon and Kotaku these days

I found the problem.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    So, PC or PS4? I am leaning to PS4 for that extra hour of gameplay.

• Options
    If your PC can run it go ahead.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Is that a fact? Because from what I read on the likes of Polygon and Kotaku these days

I found the problem.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that I'm not being clear enough as opposed to you and jdarksun being purposefully obtuse for the sake of shooting off dismissive one-liners.

Multiplayer everything is a terrible trend, and while I acknowledge the business reasons for it happening, I also openly resent it for forcing me to choose between coming into contact with the sort of people that keep me away from the multiplayer games that already exist, or playing a hobbled version of the game. It's not innovative gameplay design, it's not a new paradigm that could only exist with the power of the Playstation 4 or XBox One. It's a business decision made to curb used games and piracy which often causes the single player experience to suffer.

If you like what Watch_Dogs is doing with inserting multiplayer into single-player, great. I'm happy for you. Right now, I can only imagine the inconveniences it will cause me.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ...I'm sure you could turn your internet off on your console when you play if it really bugs you that much

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Shit I played through Borderlands 1 and 2 with no online.

Afterwards it was all multiplayer but still.

• Options
    Yeah, Shock, that didn't come across at all with your original comment. It sounded to me like you were saying Watch Dogs is 100% racism, misogyny, and homophobia. And that an online component would just compound that.

And I guess that sort of is what you're saying? That all video games are racist, misogynistic, and homophobic. And that everyone on the internet is, too.

I guess I could cherry pick counterexamples, and suggest stuff like Portal 2 and (generally speaking) the PA community here as games and people you can largely expect to be cool online.

I like it when the barriers between multiplayer and singleplayer blur, especially when I can restrict access to people on my Friends List. I thought it was cool when other people's creatures started showing up in my Spore games, I liked running in to other people playing games like Test Drive Unlimited, and I played the entirety of Saints Row 4 in co-op.

But those are just my experiences. Other's experiences will, of course, be different.

• Options
    Oh man, this was a nasty misunderstanding. Sorry about that. I was never attacking Watch_Dogs or videogames in general. I was grumbling about sociopathic online gamers and how increasing emphasis on multiplayer in triple A games makes it increasingly hard to avoid these bad apples.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    That so called "spider" tank only has six legs.

Pre-order canceled.

• Options
    I was grumbling about sociopathic online gamers and how increasing emphasis on multiplayer in triple A games makes it increasingly hard to avoid these bad apples.
    Truth. That's why I always set MP games to "Friends Only" when I can. I don't want to play antagonistic game types anonymously with folk I don't know.

• Options
    Doesn't do whatever a spider can. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I have the PS4 version Pre-ordered, but I'm considering picking it up for PC instead now that it seems the PS4 gave up anti-aliasing in order to get 60 FPS.

At least on PC it can be pretty AND smooth.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Bad news for those who were picking it up on a console:

http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-next-gen-game-resolution-dynamism/
    The game also looks great on both generations of consoles. On new-gen systems the game will run at 900p on PS4 and 792p on Xbox One, at 30 frames-per-second on both consoles. While some new-gen games now offer native 1080p, Morin says it’s much more important to deliver an amazing next-gen experience than it is to push a few more pixels onto a screen. “Resolution is a number, just like framerate is a number. All those numbers are valid aspects of making games,” he says. “But you make choices about the experience you want to deliver.

Graphics aren't usually a huge deal for me, but it's really hurting to see things fall so far from the initial reveal.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's...wow. PC it is then.

• Options
    Yep, putting things into motion to switch PS4 to PC pre-order right now.

I love my PS4, but there will be other games for it.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    If resolution was just a number, you'd stick with rendering at 720p instead of trying to eek every pixel you could out of the hardware.

• Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    I'd be just as scared of switching a pre-order to PC, given Ubisoft's spotty track record with PC releases.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Huh. Sony said a few days ago it was 1080, 60fps. That seems like not the kindof thing to get wrong, this close to launch. :I

ed; dare I dream this is a parity push, and after launch it'll come out that the PS4 one is indeed 60fps? :P

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    vid wrote: »
    Bad news for those who were picking it up on a console:

http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-next-gen-game-resolution-dynamism/
    The game also looks great on both generations of consoles. On new-gen systems the game will run at 900p on PS4 and 792p on Xbox One, at 30 frames-per-second on both consoles. While some new-gen games now offer native 1080p, Morin says it’s much more important to deliver an amazing next-gen experience than it is to push a few more pixels onto a screen. “Resolution is a number, just like framerate is a number. All those numbers are valid aspects of making games,” he says. “But you make choices about the experience you want to deliver.

Graphics aren't usually a huge deal for me, but it's really hurting to see things fall so far from the initial reveal.

Goddamn it. Really not a priority now.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    792 is a really.....odd resolution.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm guessing development is getting down to the wire and they ran out of time to optimize it to 1080p.

...man. I have no clue whether this will be good or not.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Laying down money now: PC version is terribly optimised.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    1080p @ 60 v 900p @ 30 seems like the grand canyon of "trying to optimize".

didn't think it'd be this bad on the consoles though, specially given how much they seem to have dropped graphical fidelity.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I wonder what the issue is, and why go to odd resolutions like 900 and 792 (Ok, so 900 isn't that odd) instead of stopping at 720 and adding more pretty?

At least at 720 most people's televisions will display the game 1:1 instead of doing some crazy scaling.

Also, if the PC version is poorly optimized, at least the modding community has an opportunity to fix it.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I assume these are both coming out of the boxes at 1080p using internal scalers. and just trying to get every line possible most likely.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    792 is a really.....odd resolution.

Incidentally, this is also Titanfall's resolution on the XB1. Perhaps there's technical reason this particular oddball resolution is chosen that completely escapes me.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    1080p @ 60 v 900p @ 30 seems like the grand canyon of "trying to optimize".

didn't think it'd be this bad on the consoles though, specially given how much they seem to have dropped graphical fidelity.

True, though it's possible the problem was known for quite a while and the announcement is the team/Ubi giving up their last sliver of hope.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293