Options

How do Japanese and American tastes differ?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    Aw, come on, he's got floppy hair and wears a pink-red suit with lace ruffles and he's shy and mysterious. Okay, so he's not quite the chef of the Tres Bien, but he's certainly less manly-looking than sharp blue-suit wearing Phoenix.

And there you go - Metroid Prime gets lauded for its strong female lead, another thing which many games lack. :P

Hey hey hey HEY HEY!

Hey.

Big difference between being a fop and being effete. Edgeworth is a bit of a fancypants but there's absolutely nothing girly about him. In terms of facial features and build he's a hell of a lot manlier than Phoenix.

And...I admit to never playing Bloodlines.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Who as? Male toreador?
    Nosferatu.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Who as? Male toreador?

As I recall, don't you get control over the character skin? Hair/face/etc? Okay I recall the Gangrel male being very manly, but... it's a Gangrel.

The game overall was very GLBT friendly, if I'm remembering correctly. My female Tremere was a raging lesbian (though I suppose that doesn't count...).

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    A part of the effeminate thing goes back to the Shinto roots. Balance and harmony are power. Being in touch with all sides of humanity means that you're... well... better than others. Hell, all last bosses go through stages of looking like monster... looking more like a monster... then their final form is nearly always something back to a beautiful person of some sort. With the caveat that there are other arguments to entertain as to why this is (basically offshoots of the uncanny valley, it's easier to fear/be in awe of things that are like us instead of abstract things), but I like religion as a major contributing factor. :P

Aroduc on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, Edgeworth really doesn't seem all that vain or foppish to me.

But I digress. Effeminate is probably a word being flung around too freely in this thread anyway. Most of the time it's just a cry against pretty boys.

I mean, Tidus, although young and pretty didn't seem all that simpering or girlish to me (from what I observed of the game, never played it). It's nearly always about looks/dress/build rather than mannerisms.

Dracomicron - I don't recall being able to change your appearance beyond male/female. And, as with many games, it was pretty much mostly lesbian friendly. There were no male characters to seduce and VV wasn't nearly as flirtatious if you were a male.

I actually think the most neutral, GLBT-friendly game you can play is the Sims 2.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Dracomicron - I don't recall being able to change your appearance beyond male/female. And, as with many games, it was pretty much mostly lesbian friendly. There were no male characters to seduce and VV wasn't nearly as flirtatious if you were a male.

I'm probably conflating my Vampire: The Masquerade experience with Bloodlines. Given how much influence Anne Rice had on V:tM, it's no wonder that it's as queer as an umbrella hat. I forget that Bloodlines is another genre, no matter how faithful to the art and atmosphere they were.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'm probably conflating my Vampire: The Masquerade experience with Bloodlines. Given how much influence Anne Rice had on V:tM, it's no wonder that it's as queer as an umbrella hat. I forget that Bloodlines is another genre, no matter how faithful to the art and atmosphere they were.
    Hey whoa, let's not be too hasty. Umbrella hats are handsome and practical. But yeah, Vampire is queer as the parson on a Sunday.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    gilrain wrote: »

Hey whoa, let's not be too hasty. Umbrella hats are handsome and practical. But yeah, Vampire is queer as the parson on a Sunday.

Now now, parsons are upstanding members of the community. But yeah, Vampire is as queer as an afro on a chihuahua.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    You guys need better similes.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, to interject a bit of hyperbole...

Typical American protagonist: Adult, gruff, battle-hardened male. Probably either from the military or has had military experience in the past. Most likely as some sort of special ops.

Typical Japanese protagonist: 12 years old, schoolgirl, but the developers tell you it's actually a schoolboy. No battle experience whatsoever. Huge portions of the story will revolve around his horribly awkward and embarrassing crush on the so-giggly-you-want-to-tear-her-throat-out supporting character.

Typical American game name: Death Man 6: Redemption.

Typical Japanese game name: Super Ultra Happy Fun Fun Rape Time Sapphire Gold 2.
    Laugh

I think a lot of differences are going to be hard to really peg, as you can always find the exceptions on both sides, but personally, I think that this (which you've probably all seen) does a pretty good job of casting light on JRPGs.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    You guys need better similes.

I wasn't really going for "good" there. Vaguely amusing or bizarre, perhaps.

Nobody actually thinks that umbrella hats or a dog with a human hair style is related to homosexuality (except the most bigoted jackass, perhaps).

Actually I just saw a guy wearing an umbrella hat the other day, and I'd never seen it before, so it was awesome. I was like "How have I never heard of this?"

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Now now, parsons are upstanding members of the community. But yeah, Vampire is as queer as an afro on a chihuahua.
    Naw man, chihuahuas are all manwich with a side of manyonnaise. However, Vampire is as queer as Aroduc talking about similes.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Naw man, chihuahuas are all manwich with a side of manyonnaise. However, Vampire is as queer as Aroduc talking about similes.

I'm afraid I have no reasonable retort to that.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Well, to interject a bit of hyperbole...

Typical American protagonist: Adult, gruff, battle-hardened male. Probably either from the military or has had military experience in the past. Most likely as some sort of special ops.

Typical Japanese protagonist: 12 years old, schoolgirl, but the developers tell you it's actually a schoolboy. No battle experience whatsoever. Huge portions of the story will revolve around his horribly awkward and embarrassing crush on the so-giggly-you-want-to-tear-her-throat-out supporting character.

Typical American game name: Death Man 6: Redemption.

Typical Japanese game name: Super Ultra Happy Fun Fun Rape Time Sapphire Gold 2.
    Laugh

I think a lot of differences are going to be hard to really peg, as you can always find the exceptions on both sides, but personally, I think that this (which you've probably all seen) does a pretty good job of casting light on JRPGs.

Shit, Death Man 6 is out? I still haven't finished 5

ben0207 on
  • Options
    FishguyFishguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wonder if the reason why FF7 became and is so popular here was because Cloud was ex-military it canceled out the fact the he was effimate like most the other FF main characters.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Fishguy wrote: »
    I wonder if the reason why FF7 became and is so popular here was because Cloud was ex-military it canceled out the fact the he was effimate like most the other FF main characters.

I somehow doubt it. The military aspects of FF7 are so diluted that you really don't get a military feel until pretty far into the game. If we had to go with a "macho" reason that it was popular, I'd take Barrett. But I rather think that FF7's popularity was due to it's enormous length, obscenely labrynthine plot, and appeal to the lowest common denomonator of RPG gamers. It was something that we hadn't seen much of up until that point... and the better western games like Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain were a touch too mature for many players.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vincent was by far the most effeminate male in FF7 that I can recall. He wasn't girly in how he acted, though.

Magus` on
  • Options
    YumcakeYumcake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think skinny or at least lean guys are generally farther up on the hotness scale than big and strong guys in America too. Justin Timberlake-type instead of The Rock-type. I think most girls are satisfied by low body-fat, it's the men who want men to be big and powerful.

I don't understand the effiminate thing though, that's just /weird/. But then, I don't think girls understand why lesbians are so fascinating for the guys either.

Yumcake on
    Cake is yum, is yum cake? I think, therefore I am. I am... Yumcake.

kelbear1.png
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I was always under the impression it was because it was a lot of people's "My First RPG". RPGs were kind of a niche genre before the Playstation.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

I was always under the impression it was because it was a lot of people's "My First RPG". RPGs were kind of a niche genre before the Playstation.
    That's not really an explanation for why it was popular. It was a lot of people's "My First RPG" because it was popular, not the other way around.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Houk wrote: »

That's not really an explanation for why it was popular. It was a lot of people's "My First RPG" because it was popular, not the other way around.

Well, as I recall, FF7 was heavily advertised; moreso than any other PS2 RPG before that.

It's possible that it was used as a sort of "new market buster."

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Well, as I recall, FF7 was heavily advertised; moreso than any other PS2 RPG before that.

There wasn't even a PS2 at the time. :P

Couscous on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

There wasn't even a PS2 at the time. :P

FF7 was really ahead of its time.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Which I guess was my original point. According to the points a lot of people have made in the thread, Cloud would have significant appeal to a lot of people and genders both here and in Japan. While the later FF protaganists are almost all labeled as emo whiney pretty boys.
    Although I'm probably reading to much into it and other factors like advertising were more important.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    PipboyPipboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Typos aside, FFVII really was the perfect storm. FF6 and Chrono Trigger's high quality had the established JRPG gamers primed and ready for more and the PS1's CD media was a perfect marriage partner for the genre. Throw in a great game, some FMV, and a dash of heavy advertising and it's rather unlikely that we'll see a JRPG make such a big splash again for quite some time, just because everyone is more jaded now, if nothing else.

Pipboy on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It was advertised really heavily, and it was a good RPG. Both at the same time generally work very well.

Case in point: Halo. Huge amounts of marketing, and its a good game. BEST GAEM EVAR? No, but it wouldn't be successful if it sucked.

Very little competition is their genres; console RPG and console shooter, also helped alot, too.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Which I guess was my original point. According to the points a lot of people have made in the thread, Cloud would have significant appeal to a lot of people and genders both here and in Japan. While the later FF protaganists are almost all labeled as emo whiney pretty boys.
    Although I'm probably reading to much into it and other factors like advertising were more important.
    If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that there wasn't enough of an 'effeminate lead' cliche at the time to affect gamers either way. As was mentioned, this was the first RPG experience for a lot of people, and a lot of those people knew nothing of those stereotypes. Advertising and 'wow-factor' from the cutscenes is what hooked most people, I think, and after that was an enjoyable, if flawed, story and battle system.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Point taken, but I'd have to chalk it up to heavy advertising, word of mouth, and amazing graphics for it's time. I remember how that opening movie blew me away the first time I saw it. Plus it had an exciting opening unlike many RPGs at the time (and still today) so thats a good hook for players to continue and go deeper.

Edit: And Cloud never seemed very interesting to me, but it was a fun game.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Plus it had an exciting opening unlike many RPGs at the time (and still today) so thats a good hook for players to continue and go deeper.
    This is something I can't believe more games don't do. Movies figured out decades ago that if you want to get a viewer/player hooked, give them something exciting to start off with. An hour of tutorial/prologue with nothing interesting can suck my balls, and too many games from both sides of the planet still haven't realized this.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Plus it had an exciting opening unlike many RPGs at the time (and still today) so thats a good hook for players to continue and go deeper.
    This is something I can't believe more games don't do. Movies figured out decades ago that if you want to get a viewer/player hooked, give them something exciting to start off with. An hour of tutorial/prologue with nothing interesting can suck my balls, and too many games from both sides of the planet still haven't realized this.

Golden Sun. Golden Sun. Golden Sun.

GAH

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Golden Sun. Golden Sun. Golden Sun.

GAH

Kingdom Hearts II.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    More like Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. Geez. Dragon Quest 7 was notorious for that too, but it got pretty good eventually.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    And to be fair to the Japanese, Neverwinter Nights 2 for an example of a soul crushing western game tuturial/intro.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Final Fantasy IX: possibly the most gripping extended introduction of all time.

gilrain on
  • Options
    SophismataSophismata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Klyka wrote: »

Shonen: "THIS DRILL WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!!!!!"
    Shojo: "THIS DRILL WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS......gently"
    Bishonen: "THIS DRILL WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS...after I put my make-up on and uuuuh so kawaaaiiiiiiii!"

(yes, I'm probably going to get lynched for gross oversimplification)

fixed

It's an aside but that anime was utterly hilarious. They had the token lead male, but then put in a character with an ego so huge it actually made the show enjoyable. Also, it didn't take itself too seriously.

Which reminds me, something I've noticed with regard to games and criticism:

Japanese games are often criticised for being too different. A lot of times I see games reviewed poorly in Japan it's because they differ too much from the base formula. Now, I'm not equating this with good games, popular games or even a particular genre, but it's interesting when you consider:

Western media tends to criticise games that lack originality. It's one of the primary complaints (addendum: that I've noticed) with modern video games - they are becoming too similar. Some companies, like Blizzard, have made this an artform, and while I won't deny that "safe" games tend to sell well, I do find it interesting that we (or our journalists) seem to crave original and new experiences, while in Japan the opposite seems to be true.

Sophismata on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    More like Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. Geez. Dragon Quest 7 was notorious for that too, but it got pretty good eventually.
    When did Dragon Quest 7 get good? It was a pretty terrible game the entire way through.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I remember how that opening movie blew me away the first time I saw it. Plus it had an exciting opening unlike many RPGs at the time (and still today) so thats a good hook for players to continue and go deeper.

See I never understood the amazement over the opening movie. Granted, I only played FF7 after FF8, but the opening movie is what 10 seconds long? And it's just a float down from a city onto Aeris. I just don't see how that was wowing, especially compared to FF8's which had an amazing score and snychronized the music to the action so damn well. I didn't see anything in the FF7 'intro' that I hadn't seen in those cheap 3D graphic movie discs that they used to sell in the bargain bins in CompUSA.
    The opening and the way it went straight and practically streamlessly from the movie to the game was cool though.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I remember how that opening movie blew me away the first time I saw it. Plus it had an exciting opening unlike many RPGs at the time (and still today) so thats a good hook for players to continue and go deeper.

See I never understood the amazement over the opening movie. Granted, I only played FF7 after FF8, but the opening movie is what 10 seconds long? And it's just a float down from a city onto Aeris. I just don't see how that was wowing, especially compared to FF8's which had an amazing score and snychronized the music to the action so damn well. I didn't see anything in the FF7 'intro' that I hadn't seen in those cheap 3D graphic movie discs that they used to sell in the bargain bins in CompUSA.
    The opening and the way it went straight and practically streamlessly from the movie to the game was cool though.
    It's because you played FF7 after FF8. Seriously. If I had played 8 first, I'm sure I would have been ruined on 7's cinematics. But when that's your first experience with anything like that, it's absolutely magical. Oh, and the music was perfect. I still get goosebumps watching it.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    Even if FF8 fucked up most everything else, you can't fault it for cutting corners on the cinematics. The battle of the Gardens was fucking amazing.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    FF8 was awesome in every respect, you can't fault it for cutting corners on the cinematics. The battle of the Gardens was fucking amazing.

Fixed.

Only real fault I have is that the game world felt a little ill put together. I.E. soldiers with axes instead of guns in a modern setting and whatnot.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg