As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dog Vs Crayfish [chat]

19495969798100»

• Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I stuck working late. When I get home I'm gonna play some hot Transistor action on my neglected PS4. I will stream and see if I can actually get more than two viewers this time. People are always like "why aint you gots no camera phagg?" and leave. Then I'm like "wait I'm a thirty-something year old man just trying to have fun with this new fangled streaming like the youngs don't leave me!". One time someone sat there and watched me play Awesomenauts for an entire hour. At the conclusion they typed one sentence "you play gay, I was hoping you would lose". "Thanks, I guess", I replied into the mic. Then they left.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

I'd have to go with Pipe Bomb because I stopped watching wrestling in like 6th grade and then happened to see Pipe Bomb and it made me look at wrestling analytically and now is a really fascinating form of narrative to me.

I've said this before, but a moment with punk from like 05 or 06 got me into wrestling again as an adult. it, mixed with the way my cousin was into wrestling then, 100% brought me a new appreciation for the entire thing.

punk is the best wrestler on mic and I think and heyman the best manager. the sad part is, when they're together they're taking the mic from each other haha.

I find that Punk and Heyman have so much success because they actually keep the mic stuff in the realm of sports or sporting.

As much as I may enjoy them, it's hard to take a guy like Zeb or even Bryan seriously because the storylines they are perpetuating are so unrealistic and are grounded in ideology that isn't really translatable outside of the "within the 'real world' of this world laws and rules for humans are different". If Bryan was really hated that much he wouldn't be booked in multiple matches and given a ton of mic time.

Punk and Heyman always kept their gripes and rants in the realm of sports. Heyman is only interested in his clients being the best wrestlers. Punk broke the 4th wall in a way that made his protest seem tangible as if it were an athlete rallying against the regime in a real sport.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Speaking of misogyny, I guess James Desborough has done something in the RPG field again.
    who's that?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    (but also there is totally some baggage, you just get by with a lot less weird "men act like THIS and women like THIS" for obvious reasons)

It seems like a lot of it is negative baggage from having to define itself in opposition to previous standards.

That's changing.

But, you know, it hasn't been around for 500+ years to the same degree as hetero-normative whatnot.

Well, I'm mostly talking about stereotypes here. A lot of the baggage related to dating finds its base in "men are like this and women are like this" while the visible part is "men should do this and women should do this."

When's it appropriate to call? What if his first message is like this? If she doesn't respond after the second date? What are you supposed to do the second date, anyway? Who pays for dinner? What does it mean when they do? What if the other person doesn't want you to pay? How should he propose/when should he?

These all come up in various pairs* of dating, but a lot of the questions don't even make sense applied to gay people. Should the man pay for dinner? Uh, which man? Or wait, there aren't any men in this couple! Is it ok for a woman to propose? No, because neither of these guys is dating a woman/obviously otherwise no one would get married!

Being gay cuts down on a lot of this, as well as assumed sex scripts (eg, the natural progression of sexytimes). When you're queer none of that even works. Most queer couples don't even have the prerequisite scripted parts!

I forget what I'm supposed to be writing about.

Being queer: it's weird.

*or other arrangements, whatever

Oh, that problem?

Switch it from Man / Woman to Lover / Beloved.

In any two relationships, there is a lover and a beloved, because Plato.

usually, the lover pays.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Trace wrote: »
    (but also there is totally some baggage, you just get by with a lot less weird "men act like THIS and women like THIS" for obvious reasons)

It seems like a lot of it is negative baggage from having to define itself in opposition to previous standards.

That's changing.

But, you know, it hasn't been around for 500+ years to the same degree as hetero-normative whatnot.

Well, I'm mostly talking about stereotypes here. A lot of the baggage related to dating finds its base in "men are like this and women are like this" while the visible part is "men should do this and women should do this."

When's it appropriate to call? What if his first message is like this? If she doesn't respond after the second date? What are you supposed to do the second date, anyway? Who pays for dinner? What does it mean when they do? What if the other person doesn't want you to pay? How should he propose/when should he?

These all come up in various pairs* of dating, but a lot of the questions don't even make sense applied to gay people. Should the man pay for dinner? Uh, which man? Or wait, there aren't any men in this couple! Is it ok for a woman to propose? No, because neither of these guys is dating a woman/obviously otherwise no one would get married!

Being gay cuts down on a lot of this, as well as assumed sex scripts (eg, the natural progression of sexytimes). When you're queer none of that even works. Most queer couples don't even have the prerequisite scripted parts!

Improv sex!

"We'll just call this position the sea bass."

The lack of as firm a general cultural consensus on a lot of sex related things means you are the boss of everything.

I'll never forget the first time I did a unicorn kickflip.

• Options
    god damn y'all some sad sacks in here tonight

skippy I'm sorry it's just that life is hard sometimes.

You must forget that sometimes sitting in your gold plated throne watching LoL streams all day.

excuse me a minute

*yells offscreen* I asked for those peeled grapes minutes ago where the fuck are they jeeves

sorry, what?

I still don't like that you call Sawyer jeeves or let him peel grapes with a knife.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    also i just looked up the red pill

holy christ this is fascinating

i feel like most explanations of misogyny miss the mark and don't really articulate the real reasons behind it, and i am always looking for earnest expressions of misogyny to try to wrap my mind around, so this is a goldmine

there's also a close interaction with white supremism and neoscientific racism!

(also the appropriation of symbols, rhetorical tactics, etc. from the feminist sphere is hilarious)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    skippy maybe you are allergic to gold.

The sweetest irony.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »
    you play gay, I was hoping you would lose

this is wonderful

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

That's changing.

Oh, that problem?

usually, the lover pays.

I swear to god if general queer culture adopts a generalized model of sexist roles...

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    god damn y'all some sad sacks in here tonight

skippy I'm sorry it's just that life is hard sometimes.

You must forget that sometimes sitting in your gold plated throne watching LoL streams all day.

excuse me a minute

*yells offscreen* I asked for those peeled grapes minutes ago where the fuck are they jeeves

sorry, what?

I still don't like that you call Sawyer jeeves or let him peel grapes with a knife.

it builds character

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

That's changing.

Oh, that problem?

usually, the lover pays.

I swear to god if general queer culture adopts a generalized model of sexist roles...

butch/femme!

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

That's changing.

Oh, that problem?

usually, the lover pays.

guy with the skinniest jeans pays

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I stuck working late. When I get home I'm gonna play some hot Transistor action on my neglected PS4. I will stream and see if I can actually get more than two viewers this time. People are always like "why aint you gots no camera phagg?" and leave. Then I'm like "wait I'm a thirty-something year old man just trying to have fun with this new fangled streaming like the youngs don't leave me!". One time someone sat there and watched me play Awesomenauts for an entire hour. At the conclusion they typed one sentence "you play gay, I was hoping you would lose". "Thanks, I guess", I replied into the mic. Then they left.

this is like something Liebot would say to torment Phillipe

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Also skippy tuft and needle emailed me today to ask me how my new bed is treating me. It was really nice and it was a personal email signed by a single person and they gave me a direct email to respond to to let them know if there are any issues. I was super happy with how good their customer service is.

Unfortunately I had to respond by telling them I haven't gotten my bed yet so if they could please let me know where it was sent and why they thought I got it that'd be great.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

sometimes I forget what it's like to have nothing but unlimited quantities of time

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

That's changing.

Improv sex!

"We'll just call this position the sea bass."

The lack of as firm a general cultural consensus on a lot of sex related things means you are the boss of everything.

I'll never forget the first time I did a unicorn kickflip.

Um, it was a pegusus

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Also skippy tuft and needle emailed me today to ask me how my new bed is treating me. It was really nice and it was a personal email signed by a single person and they gave me a direct email to respond to to let them know if there are any issues. I was super happy with how good their customer service is.

Unfortunately I had to respond by telling them I haven't gotten my bed yet so if they could please let me know where it was sent and why they thought I got it that'd be great.

I didn't even know you ordered it

hurry and get it and sleep on it I must know

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    referring to the dude that watched you play for an hour while apparently hating you the whole time

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @Shivahn will create the new thread
    @Dread Pirate Arbuthnot is backup

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Speaking of misogyny, I guess James Desborough has done something in the RPG field again.
    who's that?

He's this UK-based writer of RPG supplements, mostly for one of the zillion Cthuluish games, and IIRC he keeps putting in all these, like, roofie spells and rape magic and so forth and then when he was called on it he said a conspiracy of women led by his ex-girlfriends was out to get him.

100% winner's circle material

This discussion has been closed.