Options

[Transistor] Sci-fi RPG from Supergiant Games, out now on PC/PS4!

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I noticed yesterday that the global usage rates for functions was gone. I hope it and the ghosts make a return once they work out the issues.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Aww maannn. Sucks that they had to patch it out to fix glitchiness. It was a really cool feature and it sounds like a lot of us were having weird, awesome experiences with it.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I wonder if I could mine the function data from the data files of the game. I'd like to put together a quick and dirty function builder, to play with different builds, but I'd need all the data about what each function does as an active, an upgrade and a passive.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    So is this one of those strange times where the console version is objectively better? It sounds like the PC version actually has fewer features, along with the patch removing the online stuff.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So is this one of those strange times where the console version is objectively better? It sounds like the PC version actually has fewer features, along with the patch removing the online stuff.

What features is it missing other than the temporary removal of data ghosts?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Bro speaking through the controller, and the controller light pulsing with his voice.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Bro speaking through the controller, and the controller light pulsing with his voice.

The light pulsing would have been neat. I always play with headphones so there'd be no difference there for me.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    doesn't the PC version work natively with the DS4 anyway? At least from what I've heard. So presumably you could still get your controller chatting.

• Options
    I don't think the current DS4 drivers support the controller speaker, so even on PC you wouldn't get the controller talking, but you would get blinking.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Goodness this game was fun.

Some of the limitations are just plain rude.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    It took me a couple days to sit down with this, and I'm only just past the first major encounter.

Goddamn though. Supergiant knows how to build a world and make you care about it's denizens.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I really hate Fetches. How do you fight these things?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I really hate Fetches. How do you fight these things?

Keep Purge or Break on them (slow or stun), or one-shot their asses.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MomoriMomori Registered User regular
    Switch them and make them Free Lunas.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    I like the game quite a bit so far, but the combat seems very difficult and clunky to me. I tend to prefer just running around attacking instead of setting everything up via the planner, so maybe that's my problem. It feels like I'm spending more time charging up and cooling down than actually attacking dudes.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I like the game quite a bit so far, but the combat seems very difficult and clunky to me. I tend to prefer just running around attacking instead of setting everything up via the planner, so maybe that's my problem. It feels like I'm spending more time charging up and cooling down than actually attacking dudes.

The more stuff you unlock, the less you have to depend on the Turn() system.

One thing I do, if you can live without Jaunt() as an active skill (the dash), put it as a sub-skill on Crash(). That way when Turn() is still cooling down you can still attack stuff.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    mrflippy wrote: »

Try playing without Turn() entirely. The common wisdom is that you'll need Jaunt() as an active, but I disagree. Upgrading Crash(Jaunt(), Breach()) is great in the early game because it gives you an instant mid-ranged attack with a very short recovery window.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If you want to go without Turn(), Purge(Bounce(), Crash()) lets you lock down multiple enemies in permanent stun, while burning them up.

Jaunt(Tap(), Bounce()) heals you every jump and you can jump often. Or put Switch() in for Bounce() to get heal and disable enemies.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Oh joy, the games data is all in unencrypted, uncompressed XML files. This makes extracting the data I want super easy. I'm analyzing the files now to see what I need to snatch, and I'll probably put the data block up for all the games functions as a .json file (the same one I'll use to write the eventual tool).

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Oh joy, the games data is all in unencrypted, uncompressed XML files. This makes extracting the data I want super easy. I'm analyzing the files now to see what I need to snatch, and I'll probably put the data block up for all the games functions as a .json file (the same one I'll use to write the eventual tool).

I can't help but think that considering the theme of the game, the devs knew exactly what they were doing here.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    All the games logic is in unencrypted Lua files as well. So yeah. This game is moddable as hell out of the box.

e: Fun tidbit, the names of the functions you see in game are not the names of the functions in the engine. In the engine, for instance, Crash() is called Slam. Hint's at possible design changes at some point in development.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    All the games logic is in unencrypted Lua files as well. So yeah. This game is moddable as hell out of the box.

e: Fun tidbit, the names of the functions you see in game are not the names of the functions in the engine. In the engine, for instance, Crash() is called Slam. Hint's at possible design changes at some point in development.

...Transistor... Mods?

Be still, my beating heart.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    FUCK.

No idea how or why, but the game just deleted my save data. I was at least halfway through the game. Fucking fuckshit fuck.

edit: if anyone has a save anywhere shortly after the boss with the same name as a human body part, and knows how I can use it, I would really really appreciate it.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    FUCK.

No idea how or why, but the game just deleted my save data. I was at least halfway through the game. Fucking fuckshit fuck.

edit: if anyone has a save anywhere shortly after the boss with the same name as a human body part, and knows how I can use it, I would really really appreciate it.

Did you switch your "profile"?

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    FUCK.

Did you switch your "profile"?

I went to the profile screen and it was completely blank. All of them were empty.

• Options
    dwareydwarey Nutley, NJRegistered User regular
    Same thing just happened to me. On one hand, it's fun to replay the beginning now that I know what I'm doing. On the other, I just lost 5 hours of progress...

• Options
    With me planning on finishing the game tonight and Tropico 5 coming out tomorrow, I'm pretty much done with the game for a few weeks unless I can get a save copy from someone. I'm fucking livid. I literally cannot remember the last time a game deleted my save for no reason.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Beat the game yesterday. Most of what I think has already been said expect one thing I did not see
    I think the removal of player choice made the story weaker.

I also felt I knew too little about the setting or characters to really get impressed or care. I'm a fan of leaving blanks and letting the audience fill them in, but this game had a few to many blanks, especially by the end.

Not as good as Bastion, but still a great game. Bastion was a 9-10, this is an 8-9.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Just unlocked my first passive and my first... Er, secondary modifier. I'm on a similar path as I was with Bastion at this point: Won over pretty quickly by the presentation, falling in love with the combat as it further opens up. Have to see if it jumps that final hump to glory that was the final few minutes of Bastion.

Bastion ending spoilers:
    I've played through that game god knows how many times, and I still can't bring myself to pick any ending but the one I chose on my first playthrough. I flirted with the idea on my second go around, but I found that ending to be so effective that I can never bring myself to change it. The Kid always carries Zulf, and he never resets the world. That's just how Bastion ends.

Oh! Only just realized that the various functions and limiters are full of world building in their detail pages. The text heaviness feels clumsy in a world with so much narration and atmosphere, but it's very well done. Can't wait to push on tomorrow.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

I haven't looked yet, but how hard does it look to grab the audio from the game? I feel a new phone theme coming on...

*edit* Hrm, the standard FSB extraction tools aren't working. I may have to go manually record voiceover samples by playing the game with the music off...

Houn on
  • Options
    Oh sweet fancy christ on a cracker.

I had to reboot steam, and that somehow restored my save file.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Just beat it! The first two hours or so were a bit of a drag, as there wasn't quite enough information to be invested, and it took me a bit to fully wrap my head around the function equip interface (it gets fun once you stop trying to stick to the bread and potatoes attacks and just go for crazy stuff), but things eventually clickedinto place and made for a really cool game. Bastion was far more effective at letting you get to know the characters and what makes them tick, and as a result was WAY better at selling the climax in the narrative than Transistor is, but this has a really original vibe in gameplay and story all the same.

I prefer Bastion overall, but am glad we got this instead of Bastion II: Bastion harder. It's more original and nuanced, maybe a bit less fun, but really, really special.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm not at all a fan of player-made choices in character-driven games. Yeah, the Kid is sort of a blank slate compared to Red, but still, I don't think player choices intrinsically add quality to stories. Red is Red, and she does what she wants. We're pretty much along for the ride. There's only one way to end the story, because there's only one way Red will let things end.

I much, much prefer character-driven stories have an ending, rather than giving you choices that leave you going "but what if I had chosen the other ending?" It'd be like if, say, Shawshank Redemption had three different endings you could pick; it wouldn't make the story better, because the story isn't about us, it's about the characters in the movie.

Not saying Bastion isn't great, but the presentation there is entirely different from Transistor. Judging this game based on how much like Bastion it is or isn't really doesn't giving Transistor what it's due.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    just beat it, had a weird relationship with the game. art and music and just the world/atmosphere is amazing from the word go, but the combat was a bit bleh until about halfway through the game, where i really started to enjoy it because of all the neat combos you could run. really liked the abilities being tied to bios and story bits as well.

it's probably not as good as bastion, but man i'm really splitting hairs at that point.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I'm wondering if maybe, juuuuust maybe, tweaking the Lua might fix the performance test issues if it's related to playing certain sounds...

EDIT: Hmm. So the scripts are:

SandboxCheckmate: One-turn
    SandboxDemolition: Practice Test
    SandboxEndless02: Performance Test
    SandboxSurvival: Outlast process test
    SandboxShowdown: boss fight?
    SandboxTimed: speed test (kill process in Xs)

<snip>

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    By the way: You can absolutely edit the challenge maps directly through the Luas. This is glorious, though I'm still locking up. :/ The question is, what effect is causing the freeze?

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    EDIT: I don't think my original idea is working. :/ I managed to freeze myself after Level 6 just now, though I did get all the way through PT 3 (9 waves) prior to this. I'm leaning back towards it being a certain combination of cards that hangs the game. There are other things you can do to short out the PT, for example changing the number of waves in the ScenarioData at the top of the file (lines 18-24) to 1, and I've provided that as an interim workaround.

--
    If you'd like to adjust the Performance Test so that you start with more energy, only have to deal with one wave, et cetera, do this:

1) Go to the <Steam directory>\steamapps\common\Transistor\Content\Scripts\ directory.
    2) Make a copy of SandboxEndless02.scripts.
    3) In your text editor, open the file and go to line 18. It looks like this in the base script, in the function 'OnMenuClosed HandScreen':
    		{ Supply = 4, Waves = 3, SpawnGroup = "EnemyA", Enemies = {} },
    		{ Supply = 4, Waves = 5, SpawnGroup = "EnemyB", Enemies = {} },
    		{ Supply = 4, Waves = 7, SpawnGroup = "EnemyC", Enemies = {} },
    		{ Supply = 4, Waves = 9, SpawnGroup = "EnemyD", Enemies = {} },
    		{ Supply = 4, Waves = 11, SpawnGroup = "EnemyE", Enemies = {} },
    		{ Supply = 4, Waves = 13, SpawnGroup = "EnemyF", Enemies = {} },
    		{ Supply = 4, Waves = 16, SpawnGroup = "EnemyG", Enemies = {} }

Find your test, drop the waves to 1, save, and restart. You can up your Supply (12 is a good number) from here as well. It is completely unsporting, but so are freezes.

---

Don't do the below. I was drunk on Lua power.
    I think I might have found the effect causing the freeze in the Performance Test sequence. Believe it or not, it seems to have to do with the visual effects to turn off the scenario door, which are spawned in a separate thread. This seems to get turned off repeatedly each round, which may be causing an issue as the test progresses.

So, to test a potential workaround, you can actually disable this visual effect and see if you pass through the tests.

To do this:

1) Go to the <Steam directory>\steamapps\common\Transistor\Content\Scripts\ directory.
    2) Make a copy of SandboxEndless02.scripts.
    3) In your text editor, open the file and go to line 499 (as of this writing). It looks like this in the base script, in the function 'OnMenuClosed HandScreen':
         thread(CloseSandboxExitPresentation)

4) Comment out this line. In Lua, this is done with a double dash, so make the line look like this:
         -- thread(CloseSandboxExitPresentation)

5) Save the file and restart Transistor, then try the Performance Test again and see if it behaves better.

Note that this doesn't catch all freezes. I'm still hanging, for example, on certain occasions when I get overloaded. But it does seem to be mitigating the ability screen freezes.

tuxkamen on

• Options
    ZethZeth Registered User new member
    Polaritie wrote: »
    11,654 damage in a single turn. (Practice room)

I dare you to top that.
    40,887 is my record so far...

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Last night, i got the last achievement in Transistor.

Took me a bit over 18 hours...

I still want more, though.

And that ending crushed me so hard the second time around. :(

• Options
    Voice guy is wearing handwraps like the Kid. Artist proclivity or continuity link?
    I'm not seriously suggesting it, though I was secretly hoping for an easter egg linking the Transistor with the Cael Hammer or something.