As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Transistor] Sci-fi RPG from Supergiant Games, out now on PC/PS4!

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Also, i think i figured out most of the story now.

Only thing I'm not sure is...
    is the Country a metaphorical place, a physical place or both...

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I think it's both. It seems to be a euphemism for death, but it also seems to be the world inside the Transistor.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    SandboxShowdown: boss fight?

Ah, this one shows up on New Game+.
    It's a recreation of the end boss, except against a copy of you, and you assign your skills beforehand. Levels increase copy health and your memory allowance. It's called "Agency".

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I think it's both. It seems to be a euphemism for death, but it also seems to be the world inside the Transistor.
    That's what i thought, but a couple character bios seem to allude to the fact that it's a real place people sometimes go to... Then again, it's implied you don't come back from there...

But then again, at the beginning, Red is told by [Breach] to skip town, implying that there are places outside of Cloudbank...

it's a very oddly-placed shape to place in a very oddly-shaped puzzle, this...

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

That's what i thought, but a couple character bios seem to allude to the fact that it's a real place people sometimes go to... Then again, it's implied you don't come back from there...

But then again, at the beginning, Red is told by [Breach] to skip town, implying that there are places outside of Cloudbank...

it's a very oddly-placed shape to place in a very oddly-shaped puzzle, this...
    It's cyberpunk. If you can't tell what's real, what's simulated, and what's a figment of someone's imagination, the creators aren't doing a good job.

Given that when you fight Royce inside the Transistor it looks like the country, and he claims looking into the Transistor is like "staring into the sky," I think the Country is inside the Transistor and may have been the place that dead/disconnected people went and then was put inside the Transistor?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I just started playing this game. Maybe 2.5 hours in. It's incredible, and I love the skill customization system. It's really well thought-out.

And like Bastion, the style and atmosphere are fantastic. Nobody else does that like Supergiant.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I just started playing this game. Maybe 2.5 hours in. It's incredible, and I love the skill customization system. It's really well thought-out.

And like Bastion, the style and atmosphere are fantastic. Nobody else does that like Supergiant.

Much like Bastion, the worst thing I can say about Transistor is that it ended before i was ready to say goodbye.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Just checked out the trailer for this and it looks wonderful. Is it digital only for PS4?

I'm a big fan of buying physical stuff if it's an option, but I can't see it. Could just be not out in the UK.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Just checked out the trailer for this and it looks wonderful. Is it digital only for PS4?

I'm a big fan of buying physical stuff if it's an option, but I can't see it. Could just be not out in the UK.

It's self-published by Supergiant, so at this point, no physical release, just digital on PS4/PC.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

It's $20 and isn't Minecraft, so yes, it's digital-only. Although I guess CoL had a physical copy in select countries but that was an outlier.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Yeah I was hoping for another Child of Light (though physical isn't really accurate, it just came with a box with a psn code in it along with other goodies, but I liked it.)

I'll snap this up tomorrow then.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I finished it, it felt kinda short. Like there was a missing Middle Act.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Donnicton wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I wonder if ping+break+load is as powerful as I suspect. Gotta try that one out when I get home.

Against single targets or a group of targets clumped together, yes it is pretty powerful.

Ping + Breach + Purge/Crash is probably also pretty powerful. Lock em down and pummel em.

One of my personal favorites is Flood + Get and either Ping, Load, or Spark (and I'm sure it's terrific with Void, haven't tried it though). Great Big Floating Void Balls Death.

Void()(Spark()/Crash()) and Flood(Load()/Purge()). 700-900 damage per ball in a small aoe.

Open up Turn(), and Void the area twice, then Flood up to three times. Even each phase of the last boss goes down in a single combo of Void-Void-Flood-Flood-Flood.

Recursion spoilers
    If you take Ping(), Jaunt(), and Crash(), this also works on clone, at least 2/3. We'll see if it holds up whenever 3/3 opens up for me.

Edit: Dev team builds!

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    11,654 damage in a single turn. (Practice room)

I dare you to top that.

This will, to my knowledge, instantly kill anything in the game.

Several times over. My record is 6339 7321 25541.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    I wonder if ping+break+load is as powerful as I suspect. Gotta try that one out when I get home.

Against single targets or a group of targets clumped together, yes it is pretty powerful.

Ping + Breach + Purge/Crash is probably also pretty powerful. Lock em down and pummel em.

One of my personal favorites is Flood + Get and either Ping, Load, or Spark (and I'm sure it's terrific with Void, haven't tried it though). Great Big Floating Void Balls Death.

Void()(Spark()/Crash()) and Flood(Load()/Purge()). 700-900 damage per ball in a small aoe.

Open up Turn(), and Void the area twice, then Flood up to three times. Even each phase of the last boss goes down in a single combo of Void-Void-Flood-Flood-Flood.

Recursion spoilers
    If you take Ping(), Jaunt(), and Crash(), this also works on clone, at least 2/3. We'll see if it holds up whenever 3/3 opens up for me.

Edit: Dev team builds!

The lack of Purge(Crash(),Bounce()) is disappointing. And frankly, any build around using Turn() to maximum effect needs to have Void(), because it costs so little to max it out and it's the key to devastating tough enemies before they can do anything.

They do use Load() passively - and let me say it's an amazing thing to just have time bombs waiting for you to use them... even more so when you have Get() on something to pull them into the attack.

Oh, something that's fun (but I'm undecided on the usefulness of, since it has massive Turn() cost): Bounce(Spark(), Flood()). Shoot a bouncing projectile that forks into more projectiles that bounce onto other things on each hit, and all of them leave lightning trails as they fly. It's kind of neat to watch.

• Options
    I liked using Void(Crash(), Spark()) alongside Cull(Void(), Load()). Jaunt(Purge(), Get()) is also massively useful for getting away from pesky Fetch().

One thing i absolutely loved about this game was that for the first playthrough, I was actively pushed towards changing my loadout radically. I kept it up for part of the Recursion as well... Until i tried the All Limiter challenge...

• Options
    I liked using Void(Crash(), Spark()) alongside Cull(Void(), Load()). Jaunt(Purge(), Get()) is also massively useful for getting away from pesky Fetch().

One thing i absolutely loved about this game was that for the first playthrough, I was actively pushed towards changing my loadout radically. I kept it up for part of the Recursion as well... Until i tried the All Limiter challenge...

Yeah, that's a fun one. Some of them aren't worth keeping on after the achievement (mainly the ones limiting your customization, but I also turned off shielded cells and one other).

Spark(Spark()) is awesome and you should totally be using it. FOOF goes the world.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, the all limiter challenge was unfortunately not all that hard. I ended up leaving almost all of them on. The shielded cell one isn't bad if you're doing most of your damage with flood, because flood is usually still around when the process dies, and will break the shields as the cells spawn. The memory reduction limiter isn't much fun though, just because it means I can't have as much nifty shit equipped. (I also think that it doesn't make much sense since...)
    The limiters were created by Royce to help control the process, installing them is actually turning them off. It doesn't make much sense that there would be a limiter that affected how much memory the transistor has.

• Options
    Poking around the install directory there's some files left over from Bastion. Unless Red has a Hammer, Repeater, and Longbow around somewhere that we don't know about.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Transistor\Content\Game\PlayerClasses.xml

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Out of curiosity, I compared the script file I was looking in to the latest patch to see what the deal is with this new option, /AllowPackageSwap=false.

EDIT: The option should be false, not true. The Unload/Load occurring in the PT is what might be causing the hangs, so this new option disables that (which has no actual effect on your gameplay).

I was leaning slightly towards Flood() being the issue, but it's interesting looking at the Performance Test script. It appears that they don't want you to unload anything in these tests...

For one, a function was added on the first OnLoad:

SetConfigOption({ Name = "AllowDeckUnloads", Value = false })

Then, at the part where the script decides what upgrade to give for the next level, this was added:

if GetConfigOptionValue({ Name = "AllowPackageSwap" }) == "True" then
    UnloadPackages({ Names = unloadPackages })
    LoadPackages({ Names = loadPackages })
    end

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So, it may not be the biggest numbers, but damned if it isn't fun:

Void(Get(),Purge())
    Flood(Void(),Load())
    Passive: Mask()

Void() to suck everything in and lock it in place while Flood() slowly rips through them. Spend all day invisible. Add a Support Help() if you want all the little CoreBuddies.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    I don't know why Supergiant won't just take all of my money in perpetuity. An hour into this game I am crazy obsessed. Fortunately it's not one of those games that demands all of your time.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    @tuxkamen‌
    Patch Notes for v1.26038
    We've deployed a patch that re-enables the online passive online features in the game (which were temporarily disabled to address performance issues experienced by some users). The patch may also improve stability for rare cases in which some users were crashing in certain Sandbox Tests.
    Added command line /AllowPackageSwap=true as a work-around for some users experiencing crashes in Performance Tests.*

LD50 on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Heh, I know. I was just trying to figure out what it does. And it seems to work for the one pt I've done since.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Dammit

So I tried playing this last night, and while executing Turn () on like, the second combat, the audio freaked out and started to stutter, and then my computer froze.

Anyone else having problems like this or is it me?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Not I -- the patches really fixed up my performance, actually.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Ugh, it may be my computer then... I started getting weird sporadic freezing with Guild Wars 2 a while back, never a crash... probably need a new damn video card >.<

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I managed to beat Sybil and then quit, and apparently it didn't save my progress so I have to fight her again. I'm having a ton of trouble avoiding her attacks. Any tips?

Edit: Finally beat her by timing my turns just as she dashed. Otherwise, I was unable to dodge them.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I managed to beat Sybil and then quit, and apparently it didn't save my progress so I have to fight her again. I'm having a ton of trouble avoiding her attacks. Any tips?

When she moves, Jaunt() perpendicular to the line between you. Her attacks are pretty linear, so that should get you out of the way.

The game saves whenever you use an access point or go to Sandbox, basically.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular

When she moves, Jaunt() perpendicular to the line between you. Her attacks are pretty linear, so that should get you out of the way.

I don't know if I wasn't timing Jaunt() properly or what, but she always followed me and then hit me after. I ended up just cheesing (it felt like) Turn() to interrupt her dashes.

• Options

I don't know if I wasn't timing Jaunt() properly or what, but she always followed me and then hit me after. I ended up just cheesing (it felt like) Turn() to interrupt her dashes.

Ah. Yeah, you may have to wait for the charge to start. Bounce() passive will soak the hit every 5 seconds, which helps.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Huh. Well that was over with faster than I thought it'd be. Pretty much used Void x3 on enemies, following a weakning Ping spam, then Purge, and with the final scrap Cull. Was able to blow up Man enemies in one go.

Thinking about doing New Game+ now. Does anything change in the story?

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Huh. Well that was over with faster than I thought it'd be. Pretty much used Void x3 on enemies, following a weakning Ping spam, then Purge, and with the final scrap Cull. Was able to blow up Man enemies in one go.

Tragically, no.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I don't think so, but there is one thing I think I noticed?
    In the beginning. instead of mystery man saying "I don't think we're gonna get away with this Red" it was Royce

That is all I've noticed so far. If it's anything like Bastion's New Game+, the changes will be super subtle.

• Options
    There is also:
    The Turn() tutorial glitches out.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Hm, I still can't actually launch this game. Assumed it would be fixed with the initial fixes. I start the game, it does initial launch installing stuff, and then does not launch.

I am running Win7 64 bit, a geforce GTX470. I have tried reinstalling, opening steam in administrative mode, verifying cache, launching it directly from the directory with xp compatibility mode and administrative mode.

Anyone have an idea what the issue could be? Googling doesn't really give me anything at this point.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    There is also:
    The Turn() tutorial glitches out.
    There is also
    some dialogue in the last fight that seems to acknowledge how completely and utterly you are wiping the floor with him this time, give that you are much more powerful but this fight is unchanged. Unless that line can be activated the first time too

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    DAMMIT ME STOP CLICKING SPOILERS

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Any tips for completing 5 encounters with 10 limiters? Even abusing Switch and Spark spam, I can only get a couple of fights in before I'm completely gutted. I miss having all of my toys and passive buffs :(

Probably shouldn't have waited until Highrise to attempt this challenge.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Jaunt(Breach()Spark()) may be a b.s. broken alpha strike but it is basically my absolute favorite ability combo in the game. Dash/slice through everything while leaving a rain of bombs in your wake? Spamerino.

Also, regarding difficulty: Limiters are awesome, incremental ways of increasing the difficulty. By the end of the game I was running one that only allows you to recover one random ability every other terminal. At one point I was using Bounce(Breach()Crash()) and Help() Void() passives because that was all I had... it was so much fun.