Options

Trader [Chat]s

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    why have i not been contacted about this job. i applied at most 9 hours ago. WHERE IS MY SATISFACTION.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    evolution intended for you to make a poor grocery-related decision

I naturally selected a case of Baja Blast.

But I should have just panmixid some Mt. Dew and Gatorade.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    evolution intended for me to love pizza

beer

proof that evolution exists and that it loves us

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Dark Souls is fun, and yeah, you can win by being methodical early on.

I think the thing that trips most people up is if you press that god damn attack or dodge button twice you will god damn do two actions.

It certainly still gets me. I WANT TO HAMMER ON THE BUTTON.
    this is basically the most lethal thing in dark souls after falling off cliffs and just ahead of the lock-on wildly swinging around between two nearby enemies

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    BNhuY3iCIAA_7jF.jpg

Wish I had seen this before I went grocery shopping.
    this seems suspect

DID YOU ACTUALLY TEST A HYPOTHESIS??

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    did you guys know that the reason why women date assholes instead of NICE GUYS is because they are biologically programmed to want to stay in the tribe and not get kicked out into the wilderness to die so they gravitate to men who can help them achieve that goal this is also why women cry and defend their foul actions

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Other fun evolutionary biology anecdotes

before my boss gave me that speech, I got into a facebook argument with someone I didn't know (lolol)

I tried to put forth the thesis that the way both researchers and the general public talk about evolution biases a lot of the research and conclusions

Specifically I was talking about the use of "derived", "ancestral", and more importantly "primitive" or "advanced"- which are still phrases that turn up in the evolutionary literature, even today

I tried to argue that this is a convention dating back at least to Haeckel, and probably further to the last vestiges of the original great chain of being (which Origin of species tried to get away from, sort of) and this guy said

"What the fuck are you talking about? Evolution is all just statistical chance sorting out natural variation, it can't be biased. You don't know shit about evolution."

At the time I was offended, but I guess my boss agrees!

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    that is a weird thing to say, gentlesirmaam

• Options
    did you guys know that the reason why women date assholes instead of NICE GUYS is because they are biologically programmed to want to stay in the tribe and not get kicked out into the wilderness to die so they gravitate to men who can help them achieve that goal this is also why women cry and defend their foul actions

Oh yeah. We also need to stop using words like "programmed" when discussing evolution.

What with there not being a programmer, and all.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    @skippydumptruck‌

is it just me or is dis fox making soy face

g75f5fd9b.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular

battered credulity syndrome

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Call me... Captain Gentlesir. I held the door open for an old woman today. I wanted to ask her what platoon her husband fought in against the huns.

• Options
    actually no

the second most lethal thing is the inexplicable and infuriating pause between hitting the estus button and actually drinking the estus

• Options
    anyway time to go eat some dinner and play some WiiU and drink beer

KEEP EVOLVING EVERYONE

INTO BUGS LIKE ME

• Options
  • Options
    elendil, i can't wait until you play dark souls 2. it doesn't create as complete a SPACE since you can fast travel, but it improves on a lot of things and is otherwise the exact same

it's great

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    The reason women cry and defend their foul actions is all because they are programmed to do so by society FYI

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

to be fair, I wouldn't want to be expelled from a hunter-gatherer group into the savannah to survive with some guy in a fucking trilby as my only backup

sorry, nice guys

• Options
    WiiU sucks, lets burn Arch. I hear he is afraid of fire, water, large shoes and spiders.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »
    I'm looking into HabitRPG since recent panicked last minute paper writing has convinced me I need to do something. It seems pretty cool. If I get started using it we can be accountability-buddies 21stCentury‌ . And you can shake your head in frustration at the Danish names I will assign to all my tasks.

@jakobagger‌
    Sure! Let's be habit buddies! i have no clue how, but let's try!

cool I am Bygasto in the thing

I think I might get into using this seriously, if I ever figure out what specific tasks I want to put in

i just put in a couple tasks i need to do every day for easy points.

>_>

like for instance, i put in "take meds" as a daily thing

as for habits, i just put in a couple things i need to do that aren't on a fixed schedule, like preparing an actual meal or doing the dishes or designing things...

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

to be fair, I wouldn't want to be expelled from a hunter-gatherer group into the savannah to survive with some guy in a fucking trilby as my only backup

sorry, nice guys

i dunno he probably has a katana

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    who is going to photoshop a caveman to have a fedora

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    The reason women cry and defend their foul actions is all because they are programmed to do so by society FYI

Seems like someone is positing a nature / culture divide.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    @Haphazard‌ yessssssssss

http://imgur.com/gallery/sU8aQp3

"Dutch fans are watching a game against Germany on a big screen over the river. Suddenly..."

sU8aQp3l.jpg

:trollface:

desc on
  • Options
    who is going to photoshop a caveman to have a fedora

@gooey heed my call

• Options
    hahahahahahaha omg that is the ultimate troll

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    just finished up Arrow s2

there were a few things I thought were dumb but overall it was a huge improvement over the first year and the story was brought to a very satisfying conclusion.

pretty excited now for both season 3 and The Flash

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

The reason women cry and defend their foul actions is due to the fact that female souls are dark and twisted perversions of true, male souls.

• Options
    since when did we have :trollface:

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck‌

is it just me or is dis fox making soy face

g75f5fd9b.jpg

HMM

AHDvBtf.png

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Tarranon wrote: »

It's nowhere near the level of 8->

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    yessssssssss

http://imgur.com/gallery/sU8aQp3

"Dutch fans are watching a game against Germany on a big screen over the river. Suddenly..."

sU8aQp3l.jpg

i don't get it

what's the big deal about the italian flag

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    "Arch these are all physiological or developmental hypotheses. If you want an evolutionary hypothesis you need to do [other experiment that I'm not doing unless my DDIG gets funded]"

That was pretty soul-crushing I tell you what

Expertise, shattered

so also basically don't listen to anything I have to say

fuck bitches get developmental

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    evolution intended for me to love pizza

beer

proof that evolution exists and that it loves us

Just don't evolve and drive.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    "Arch these are all physiological or developmental hypotheses. If you want an evolutionary hypothesis you need to do [other experiment that I'm not doing unless my DDIG gets funded]"

That was pretty soul-crushing I tell you what

Expertise, shattered

so also basically don't listen to anything I have to say

oh professors

you are like, I am a grad student I am pretty smart

and they are like, hmm I have been reading, writing, teaching, and thinking about this and related topics pretty intensely for a couple of decades now and let me give you 10 things to go read about how you are dumb

this never happened to me they always told me i was super clever thus shattering my confidence in them and the world

i now live underground in a hut of my own devising snorting crack and drinking weed

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »

It's nowhere near the level of 8->

drxZLLN.gif

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i'm mad at dark souls

i'm real mad at dark souls

SHIELDS: FUNCTIONALLY REQUIRED

tried to pro my way through with fast rolling and parrying and got shitfucked by the Balder Knights in the narrow hallways in undead parish

just fucking

jesus christ

horrible bullshit

The reason women cry and defend their foul actions is due to the fact that female souls are dark [...] souls.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @21stCentury‌

#1 Learn the box model. Here's a good intro. http://css-tricks.com/the-css-box-model/
    There's also a lot of other good stuff on that page.

#2 Use the developer tools in your browser. If you use Chrome, hit F12 and bring up the Elements tab. (Or you can right-click on anything and choose "Inspect Element"). If you use Firefox, install Firebug to do the same thing.

#3 When in doubt, set a border. Can't figure out how stuff is behaving and why? Declare a really ugly border around it like
    div.Naughty {
       border: dashed 1px #FF0000; /* Bright red dashed box! */
       }

that will show you exactly where it is and what it's doing. You can always remove it later.

Pro-tip: you can do that straight in the browser if you're using Chrome developer tools or Firebug.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Oh yeah. We also need to stop using words like "programmed" when discussing evolution.

What with there not being a programmer, and all.

no, programmed is fine

we just need to be happy with the idea that the programmer doesnt exist but the program still happened anyway

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

Ooo.

This discussion has been closed.