Options

[MMA]UFC 178: Porier vs McGregor (olol) - LIVE NOW!

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The too many cards thing is pretty accurate. I just cannot keep up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Plus, why spend your evening watching a card with one good fight on it.

815165 on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I've seen some good fights watching "shitty" cards. I can see the argument that fewer fights build names though.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I've seen some good fights watching "shitty" cards. I can see the argument that fewer fights build names though.

This is definitely true, but if a fight between two unknown guys is really good you'll hear about it later, I wouldn't gamble three hours on that happening on most of the cards put on these days.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    True enough. I mostly play catch up to fights in various ways these days anyway.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    hi5, awkward time zone buddy

815165 on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    WSOF-10-Poster1.png

WSOF 10 is tonight on NBC Sports as well as Glory on Spike.

WSOF Fights to Watch

Prelims on WSOF.com:

Timur Valiev is making his US promotion debut and I believe is a training partner of Rustam Khabilov.

Also, Patrick Mehman vs Dave Huckaba is a good scrap as Mehman is probably being groomed for a HW title shot soon. He's the guy that made Rolles Gracie zombie walk away from him before falling over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y69N4Conr8

Main Card on NBC Sports:

Lance Palmer vs LoBosco is a good chance to see a prospect in Palmer (Alpha Male fighter) crush a "meh" regional guy.

Tyson Griffin is fighting Luiz Firmino. Griffin is a shot fighter, but Firmino has looked decent as of late with wins over Jacob Volkmann and Louis Palomino.

Jessica-Aguilar-crop.jpg

Jessica Aguilar is one of the top ranked ladies at 115 and will probably crush her opponent, Emi Fujino, in a one-sided affair.

Georgi Karakhanyan defends his featherweight belt against Rick Glenn in a spirited match up.

JesseTaylor.jpg

Jessie Taylor will be fighting UFC vet, Dave Branch, for the Middleweight Title. JT Money is my favorite going into this fight as he is a much more interesting fighter than Dave Branch, who is good at laying on top of people to get a decision or getting slam KO'd by Gerald Harris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIu7-mx6uBY

I'm too lazy to hype the Glory card. Ghita is fighting, Cro Cop, aaand I'm not sure who else. If you have NBC Sports, you should watch Wold Series of Fighting. It looks to be a fun, free card.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Also, the UFC just signed Queen of Pancrase, Rin Nakai, to fight Meisha Tate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTJ-I4kJPrs
    (Yes, this is a legit Pancrase promo video...)

rin_nakai_by_serialtrainer-d3kk189.jpg
    Seriously though, she is insanely buff.

Nakai has a great record, but she has been accused of having her competition hand-picked to pad said record.

I have no idea how this works out, but it's awesome. Also, fuck Meisha Tate.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Pancrase knows how to get my attention.

which i feel really confused about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Glenn is the new WSOF featherweight champ as Karakhanyn's corner throws in the towel at the end of round 2.

Glenn has insane reach and survived a fully extended armbar to get the comeback victory.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    And Dave Branch actually gets a finish. Da fuq?

Jesse Taylor ran out like a moron, pulled guard and tried to submit him in the first 30 seconds even though he had a distinct striking advantage over Branch. Wtf, dude.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Bonus: Nick Newell eye roll when being called "inspirational"

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Robert Guerrero vs Yoshihiro Kamegai was a LOLLAPALOOZA

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Just the other day, I forget what I was doing a google image search for, but a promotional pic of Nick Newell standing next to a mean muggin', shirtless Danny Trejo popped up.

I wonder whose idea that was.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani)
    6/19/14, 10:19 PM
    The 2014 NY legislative calendar ended today, meaning there's zero chance MMA gets legalized in New York this year. Wait till next year ...

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    That Rin Nakai video is insanely weird haha.

Felice Herrig is REALLY on point right now, I'm so stoked for TUF.

w63zbe3rga98.jpg

That's before any weight cut, she's at 122 walking around. I'm REALLY impressed by how hard she's been working to get ready for this, she always worked hard before, and so do all the others but she stepped it up big for this.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    When does the next TUF start? I haven't seen any of the current one, but am excited for the womens straw weight tourney.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    When does the next TUF start? I haven't seen any of the current one, but am excited for the womens straw weight tourney.

Filming starts next week.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    The last TUF I paid attention to was TUF17 and that was almost solely for Uriah Hall.
    I feel like I haven't watched a card in ages. Just hasn't been a midcarder I care about enough to purchase, let alone a headliner.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Stop me if you've heard this one: Nick Diaz is eyeing a return to the Octagon in the new year, wants to fight GSP or Anderson Silva; would also accept a title fight.

http://fansided.com/2014/06/22/nick-diaz-says-hes-working-contract-will-fight-new-year/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=Twitter#!2ox0C

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    EA UFC is not a great game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWkYEel1G0

More here: http://mmajunkie.com/2014/06/ea-sports-ufc-glitches-back-back-mount-arm-in-butt-scoot-tko-via-telekinesis

The problem is that they went with the shitty THQ UFC games as a base, and completely ignored everything about what made EA MMA great. If you liked those shitty THQ UFC games, then this is basically more of that, with similar ground mechanics, strikes having no real impact then suddenly they're rocked or KO'd, terribly repetitive gameplay with no real difference in style or substance, constant server issues and rampant glitching, and a useless submission game.

It's like Dana White demanded that it would be nothing like EA MMA, with nothing in common. And it shows.

B:L on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Haha, this is a pretty good one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMjIACDKDVg

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    if EA UFC was like Undisputed 3, I would like it and play it. But it's not so I won't. Maybe they'll get their shit together for the next iteration.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Reznik wrote: »
    if EA UFC was like Undisputed 3, I would like it and play it. But it's not so I won't. Maybe they'll get their shit together for the next iteration.
    It is completely like Undisputed 3.

• Options
    http://www.bjjee.com/featured/ralek-gracie-confirms-metamoris-4-card-secret-match/

I can't believe that Chael Sonnen vs Andre Galvao match is real.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    It is completely like Undisputed 3.

It's not. The controls are screwed up, the striking is weak and the ground game makes no sense. In UD3 I can tell when I'm hurting a guy. In EA UFC the strikes have no impact, you can't tell if you're even doing any damage. The submission system is just... wacky. I don't know what they were thinking there. In UD3 cranking/escaping submissions might be simplistic but at least it makes sense. And the transitions, man... I don't know what's going on in EA UFC, but when I played the demo it was literally just trading sweeps to full mount back and forth. It was never like that in UD3, even when you're just trying to spam shit. Even the movement in general feels screwed up in EA UFC. It's just plain not fun to play.

If you took the visuals of EA UFC and slapped them on UD3 I would be on that. But until then... nah man, I'll stick with THQ for now.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    it sucks that those dudes have medical problems but financially they don't seem so bad off. even mccarthy- a relative no name- says he got out of the gym game due to boredom? doesn't sound so bad.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    it sucks that those dudes have medical problems but financially they don't seem so bad off. even mccarthy- a relative no name- says he got out of the gym game due to boredom? doesn't sound so bad.
    Then you realize that McCarthy was well off BECAUSE he left the UFC.

"When McCarthy fought Michael Bisping on the main card of UFC 83 in 2008, he estimated that he took home less than $10,000 after being taxed by both Canada and the U.S.

“When I was a single guy with no kids, I would have been thrilled with that because I would have fought for free,” McCarthy said. “But when I got home and assessed how my gym had been doing as I was going through training camp, I realized I basically broke even, only now I can’t hear out of my right ear after Bisping hit me and I’m pissing blood. Then it’s like, this doesn’t feel like a smart way to raise my family.”"

and

"But to hear McCarthy tell it, opening up a gym isn’t a one-size-fits-all fix for retired fighters. He should know. He owned two of them, and did well at it. He made far more money than he ever had as a fighter, he said. Some months he grossed $30,000 with his Florida-based academies."

He made his money off his gym, and even he realizes that won't be the case for other fighters.

"The way I came up, our coaches always told us that would be the next step, was opening gyms. We didn’t ever think we’d make much from fighting. The problem is, how many people can open gyms before you’ve saturated the market? You’d think that if you fought in the UFC and people know your name, your gym will be successful. But really, your stiffest competition isn’t other MMA gyms run by other fighters – it’s John’s Taekwondo down the street."

• Options
    edited June 2014
    The controls are screwed up
    the striking is weak
    the ground game makes no sense.
    the strikes have no impact, you can't tell if you're even doing any damage
    The submission system is just... wacky.
    And the transitions, man... I don't know what's going on
    the movement in general feels screwed up
    It's just plain not fun to play.

If you took the visuals of EA UFC and slapped them on UD3 I would be on that. But until then... nah man, I'll stick with THQ for now.
    You just described THQ's UFC.

It becomes obvious when you compare the footage from both games. They have exactly the same problems.

B:L on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    I love MMA game glitches, they're some of the best around

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Dan Henderson hopes to return by the end of the year and he will be back at Middleweight:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/6/24/5840210/mma-news-dan-henderson-middleweight-plans-end-of-year-return-ufc

Dana White wants the entire cast of TUF 1 inducted into the Hall of Fame:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/25/5838476/morning-report-ufc-dana-white-dan-henderson-ronda-rousey-jon-jones-nick-diaz-mma-news

• Options
    EA UFC is not a great game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWkYEel1G0

More here: http://mmajunkie.com/2014/06/ea-sports-ufc-glitches-back-back-mount-arm-in-butt-scoot-tko-via-telekinesis

The problem is that they went with the shitty THQ UFC games as a base, and completely ignored everything about what made EA MMA great. If you liked those shitty THQ UFC games, then this is basically more of that, with similar ground mechanics, strikes having no real impact then suddenly they're rocked or KO'd, terribly repetitive gameplay with no real difference in style or substance, constant server issues and rampant glitching, and a useless submission game.

It's like Dana White demanded that it would be nothing like EA MMA, with nothing in common. And it shows.

yessssss

my pain is complete

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014

as much as i love this sport i feel like this is happening to me as a fan.

I was a die hard fan since around the time of the first ultimate fighter. I was in my early teens working my ass off in my bedroom wondering if i'd ever make it into a league somewhere.

Now i'm old and there are fights every other night and I have no clue who these people are. It makes me kinda sad.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I was a die hard fan since around the time of the first ultimate fighter. I was in my early teens working my ass off in my bedroom wondering if i'd ever make it into a league somewhere.

Now i'm old and there are fights every other night and I have no clue who these people are. It makes me kinda sad.

So you're basically saying you could have been a contender?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

So you're basically saying you could have been a contender?

Not a contender. But it shames me that I didn't make it out of the gyms where I trained.

but that's not the point of the above statement. Pretty much everyone i've been rooting for is off of the stage now. It's odd.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    I blame Dan's Muay Thai coach.

From the story: "According to Hendo's Muay Thai coach Daniel Woirin, who spoke to MMA Fighting earlier today, the 43-year-old will drop back down to middleweight for the first time since 2010. Henderson is targeting a return to the Octagon by the end of this year."

• Options
    To be fair it's hard to trust a man who's only been teaching an inside leg kick and an overhand right for several years now.