As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] un Rendez-vous

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Let's say the Female Thor book is good and everyone loves it. They will STILL bring back male Thor. They may do something shit ass stupid like make Moljinir clone itself and now there are two Thors

But still.

I would watch that Thor on Thor action.

a thorgy

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Hee hee, 'Thorita'.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Let's say the Female Thor book is good and everyone loves it. They will STILL bring back male Thor. They may do something shit ass stupid like make Moljinir clone itself and now there are two Thors

But still.

Sure, like they've handled multiple Thor's before. There are enough knock off Mjölnirs in the MU to outfit a carpenter's union.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0SnsP8YEN8

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

But still.

or the old Thor will feel so guilty that he isn't worthy to wield Mjolnir that he makes a suit of armor with spikes on the inside that hurts himself every time he punches somebody

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

But still.

or the old Thor will feel so guilty that he isn't worthy to wield Mjolnir that he makes a suit of armor with spikes on the inside that hurts himself every time he punches somebody

Odin already made it for him.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    oh god, Tay Zonday never stopped.
    Can we just.. Iono pretend he did?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Marvel has been trying really hard to increase diversity in their comics. Young Avengers are a LGBT superhero team, Ms. Marvel is a teenage Pakistani-American girl trying to balance her super heroic life and being a teenage girl in America with her conservative Muslim upbringing, Mighty Avengers is an Avengers spin-off team primarily composed of people of colour, the new Ghost Rider is hispanic and lives in east LA, etc.

I appreciate that, and I think that making Thor a legacy character is a good move and handing that legacy to a female character can work really well. They did it with Captain Marvel and that turned out awesome (eventually).

I think people who are decrying this as a publicity stunt or tokenism are generally people who don't read comics in the first place and are being needlessly cynical because things are different and now they gotta learn new things why they gotta be different?

Don't be a Lou Dobbs.

I just can't agree on the Captain Marvel change for Carol Danvers. That was one of the most insulting changes I've seen made to a character. And it was lauded because of pants. I'm glad it turned out well with some decent story telling but damn, what an underhanded kick in the face.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    If Tay Zonday does not sing the National Anthem at a Presidential Inauguration sometime in the next four election cycles, I am moving to the most Communist country that has running water and wouldn't kill me upon entry.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I remember having a problem with parker dying

but it had nothing to do with a minority taking his place. It has to do with me being pretty fucked up and hating change and identifying spider-man as peter parker as much as peter parker as spider-man.

So my issue wasn't minority Spidey. It was non-peter-parker Spidey. I still don't like it. When they announced The Amazing Spiderman I was unironically ALL ABOUT Donglover playing peter parker.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Can't we like, do brain scans on a trans person and see that their brain waves (using kindergarten terms here, obvs) are in line with their identified gender rather than their genetic sex?

Like, there is no measurement for the existence of your headmate inuyasha being a real being. It's Sagan's Invisible Dragon at best. I'm sorry but headmates are a far fucking cry from Transfolk, and I think to compare the two is bordering on disingenuous, and I don't care how white and privileged I am, I'm gonna call that bullshit out.

I'm confused as to how people with headmate's or whatever are being discriminated against?

This seems like a fundamentally difficult thing to discriminate against people on.

Once people start talking about their headmates, I can see them being hella discriminated against.

At least after people realize they're not mispronouncing roommates.

The serious answer is:

Nah, brain scans don't do shit. We love them, they're really fun, they make amazing pictures, but they're not in any way like mind-reading. Nothing is "confirmed via an fMRI", ever. All you do is correlate some results from an fMRI with some environmental trigger that you're pretty sure you set up properly, and it's crazy idiosyncratic. There are a shitload of terrible papers that just go "this lit up when we had people juggle, it's the juggle cortex!" but they're terrible, so ignore them. Mental states are still a thing we primarily investigate by asking people.

As for shit like headmates, regardless of my feeling like it's obvious annoying attention-grabbing bullshit I probably shouldn't make fun of people. It's not going to make them any less of a shit if they're a shit, and it's not going to make them feel less alienated and terrible if they're feeling that.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

But still.

I would watch that Thor on Thor action.

small wonder they call fanboy speculation "masturbatory"

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    oh god, Tay Zonday never stopped.
    Can we just.. Iono pretend he did?

some stayed dry but other felt the pain.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Is the woman Thor going to have good stories? If yes, awesome if no, it'll go away.

Who cares beyond that?
    If that was really all it was, would it have been announced on the View?

Its a stunt, and a silly one. I don't read Thor so it doesn't effect me, but let's not pretend its not a calculated move

what do do you mean by this

isn't literally everything comic book companies do a calculated move?

at the end of the day they want you to buy their comics

Yeah but its not "we want to make the best stories and the best story is Thor is now a woman."

Its "we want to reach out to a broader demographic so changing one of our core characters to a woman for a year before reverting back to the old ways will generate publicity enough to help achieve that end."

The former doesn't require an announcement on the View, a daily talk show primarily aimed at female viewers.

If anyone thinks this is a permanent move, or something that is even likely to still be in effect when Thor 3 comes out (2015/2016), they are IMO being naive.

What makes you think that Marvel, back in the golden age of comics, wasn't saying, "Girls don't read superhero comics. They read Archie. We need our heroes to embody manliness."

This may surprise you, but Marvel comics is a business. And guess what, if they book does do well, there is no reason why it couldn't show up in a movie. Because 40 years ago you would have been among the chorus of people saying that Thor would never be a woman.

Marvel has been a pretty socially progressive company for 40 years.

I mean every one knew mutants were black people, Professor X was MLK and Magneto was Malcolm X. The New X-men from the 70s were diverse (at least for the time). But they didn't make Angel suddenly Maori. They introduced new characters. The diversity was part of the story. That works.

This isn't really socially progressive, its a publicity stunt. They say "see we have non-white male headliners!" and then 15 issues later the original Thor regains his hammer, this character will become a C-list hero and it will be as if it never happened.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Chat chat chat
    want to know if dice rolls in a spoiler work

Geth roll 2d6

Let us see.

And now I know.

now we know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKEUujz12S4

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I think female Thor is fine and a good thing but it is absolutely a calculated grab at new and female readership, and like all things comic book, will go back to the way they were within 12 months.

Again - who the fuck cares. Unless you're reading creator owned content, everything is a push to get more people interested in the books. Why is their smugness about trying to get more female readership? It's kind of weirdly, misogynistic and douchetastically condescending.

i was on board with the female thor thing full blast until I read they revealed the news on The View.
    I want more females interested in comics

but you know

not THOSE females.

?

I'm not saying that people that watch the view are bad people. I'm just saying, every person is given 100 vice points that they can spend. Go over that, and you're a bad person.

The View costs 99.5

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Is the woman Thor going to have good stories? If yes, awesome if no, it'll go away.

Who cares beyond that?

Its a stunt, and a silly one. I don't read Thor so it doesn't effect me, but let's not pretend its not a calculated move

Yeah but its not "we want to make the best stories and the best story is Thor is now a woman."

Its "we want to reach out to a broader demographic so changing one of our core characters to a woman for a year before reverting back to the old ways will generate publicity enough to help achieve that end."

The former doesn't require an announcement on the View, a daily talk show primarily aimed at female viewers.

If anyone thinks this is a permanent move, or something that is even likely to still be in effect when Thor 3 comes out (2015/2016), they are IMO being naive.

What makes you think that Marvel, back in the golden age of comics, wasn't saying, "Girls don't read superhero comics. They read Archie. We need our heroes to embody manliness."

This may surprise you, but Marvel comics is a business. And guess what, if they book does do well, there is no reason why it couldn't show up in a movie. Because 40 years ago you would have been among the chorus of people saying that Thor would never be a woman.

I mean every one knew mutants were black people, Professor X was MLK and Magneto was Malcolm X. The New X-men from the 70s were diverse (at least for the time). But they didn't make Angel suddenly Maori. They introduced new characters. The diversity was part of the story. That works.

This isn't really socially progressive, its a publicity stunt. They say "see we have non-white male headliners!" and then 15 issues later the original Thor regains his hammer, this character will become a C-list hero and it will be as if it never happened.

Again, what makes literally every other comic event not a publicity stunt? You're failing to explain this part of it, and, i ndoing so, digging yourself deeper into a hole.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I think female Thor is fine and a good thing but it is absolutely a calculated grab at new and female readership, and like all things comic book, will go back to the way they were within 12 months.

I think Peter Parker stayed dead for like 20 months.

Was surprised they let it go that long but you know, Amazing 2 came out so....

Marvel doesn't have the movie rights to Spiderman.

No but the movie causes people to go "I should read those comic books!" (or they think it does) and they don't want them going "WTF, Why is Peter a fucking asshole?"
    A few years ago, Peter Parker died in the comics. Now, he only died in the Ultimate continuity, a spin-off universe created over ten years ago as a "re-imagining" of the Marvel universe. He didn't die in the main "616" continuity.

But he still died, and rather than bring him back from the dead Marvel replaced him with Miles Morales, a mixed-race teenager from New York with his own super powers who took up the identity of Spider-Man, having been inspired by Peter's life and heroism.

Marvel made a big announcement about this, since it was a new Spider-Man it was a big deal! Even if it was the "B side" continuity Spider-Man, it was still a thing!

This caused some people, most of whom don't read comics, to get their shit in a twist over this "calculated move" and "publicity stunt". A lot of noise was made over the fact that the new Spider-Man was black-hispanic (or just "black" to people who didn't really give a shit about being mad) and some said "Clearly this is just Marvel trying to pandering to black youth and the liberal market especially with this tokenism. They didn't have to change Spider-Man to be black, but I guess that's the PC thing to do now."

This was the argument people like Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs, racist conservative pieces of shit who otherwise don't say a god damn thing about comics, we're fond of.

And it's what a few of you sound like about the new Thor, especially those of you who don't read comics and cynically are allergic to people "making a fuss"

So consider if that's the side of things you want to be on.

The thing that pissed me off so much about this is that narratively Parker dying heroing it up is so obviously how he goes out and for his death to be the spark that ignites the heroism of a new Spiderman? Fucking perfect but no.....somebody fucked up their Peter Pan wonderland that never changes.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    It's time to see The Doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CYDgezeQas

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Who cares beyond that?

Again, what makes literally every other comic event not a publicity stunt? You're failing to explain this part of it, and, i ndoing so, digging yourself deeper into a hole.

Right.

Buying a commercial is a publicity stunt.

Paying for better shelf space is a publicity stunt.

doing movie tie-in events in your comics? Publicity stunt.

Anything that tries to increase awareness for the product, especially into under-reached markets, has the goal of generating buzz.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

Who cares beyond that?

Ok, let the record show you have registered this cynical bunch of naysaying so that 15 issues from now you have full right to an I Told You So Dance.

Unless you have anything else to say about this, your complaint us basically "nope they'll fuck this up, you'll see, I'll be right, you'll all see"

That's not an argument or a criticism, that's just cynicism and if you've got nothing else then you have been acknowledged and we'll see how it goes.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014

Again - who the fuck cares. Unless you're reading creator owned content, everything is a push to get more people interested in the books. Why is their smugness about trying to get more female readership? It's kind of weirdly, misogynistic and douchetastically condescending.

i was on board with the female thor thing full blast until I read they revealed the news on The View.

but you know

not THOSE females.

?

I'm not saying that people that watch the view are bad people. I'm just saying, every person is given 100 vice points that they can spend. Go over that, and you're a bad person.

The View costs 99.5

It'd be a real shame if people you don't like liked things you like

people might confuse you with them because you both liked a thing!

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

Wibbly-wobbly Timey-wimey... stuff.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Something can be socially progressive and a publicity stunt.

I mean, any major character announcement will be a publicity stunt pretty much by definition. At the same time character refreshes might as well take them in a more varied direction.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    donglover would have made a great spidey

919UOwT.png
  • Options

No but the movie causes people to go "I should read those comic books!" (or they think it does) and they don't want them going "WTF, Why is Peter a fucking asshole?"
    A few years ago, Peter Parker died in the comics. Now, he only died in the Ultimate continuity, a spin-off universe created over ten years ago as a "re-imagining" of the Marvel universe. He didn't die in the main "616" continuity.

But he still died, and rather than bring him back from the dead Marvel replaced him with Miles Morales, a mixed-race teenager from New York with his own super powers who took up the identity of Spider-Man, having been inspired by Peter's life and heroism.

Marvel made a big announcement about this, since it was a new Spider-Man it was a big deal! Even if it was the "B side" continuity Spider-Man, it was still a thing!

This caused some people, most of whom don't read comics, to get their shit in a twist over this "calculated move" and "publicity stunt". A lot of noise was made over the fact that the new Spider-Man was black-hispanic (or just "black" to people who didn't really give a shit about being mad) and some said "Clearly this is just Marvel trying to pandering to black youth and the liberal market especially with this tokenism. They didn't have to change Spider-Man to be black, but I guess that's the PC thing to do now."

This was the argument people like Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs, racist conservative pieces of shit who otherwise don't say a god damn thing about comics, we're fond of.

And it's what a few of you sound like about the new Thor, especially those of you who don't read comics and cynically are allergic to people "making a fuss"

The thing that pissed me off so much about this is that narratively Parker dying heroing it up is so obviously how he goes out and for his death to be the spark that ignites the heroism of a new Spiderman? Fucking perfect but no.....somebody fucked up their Peter Pan wonderland that never changes.

Hi. I'm that guy. But I totally recognize after a long time, that this is MY hangup and MY problem to deal with. It still doesn't change the fact that I hate non bruce wayne batman, non peter parker spidey, non steve rogers cap, etc etc. It's weird, and it's broken, and probably more than a bit childish, but hey, it's me. I just accept that this shit is what it is and try not to think about it.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Did they say who the actual character is? Is it a new character or a known blonde heroine.

Ha. Maybe it'll be Carol Danvers.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Lotta people in this thread who don't read comics and don't know shit about them having nonetheless strong opinions on what they think comics are doing and should be doing.

Interesting.

it's not even just people on this board or in this thread

people react in a funny way when stories or characters from their childhood get changed.

and then when the changes get rolled back after a few months or maybe a year, often people think of it as a stunt.

it's not really, i think, the right way to think about it. there's not a real definitive intentional "they" when it comes to comic lines. some dude wants to tell some stories about a lady thor. nothing wrong with that. he tells the story and then maybe he'll change it back later in his run. probably the guy who takes it over from him will. someone wants to tell a story about the death of wolverine. they'll almost certainly bring back wolverine after this story.

and, like, i don't think that's bad or anything, but i also understand why it feels like publicity stunts to the non comic-fan public.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

Hi. I'm that guy. But I totally recognize after a long time, that this is MY hangup and MY problem to deal with. It still doesn't change the fact that I hate non bruce wayne batman, non peter parker spidey, non steve rogers cap, etc etc. It's weird, and it's broken, and probably more than a bit childish, but hey, it's me. I just accept that this shit is what it is and try not to think about it.

Totally fair. One question though....were you in favor of Peter making a deal with the devil to save his 90 year old Aunt May from death by sacrificing his last twenty years of gradual character development?

Cause 101 vice points may ride on this answer.

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

but you know

not THOSE females.

?

The View costs 99.5

Am I really gettin shit for a View joke? Have you guys watched the View? I have. I don't hate it for its female perspective, if anything, it's a Patriarchal View of what an "Empowered Woman" would be. It's, at best, a menstrual show.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Did they say who the actual character is? Is it a new character or a known blonde heroine.

Woman in Thor's life is all we know for now.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure it's Storm.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

they left jean grey dead for a really surprisingly long time.

i think she might be the record for a major character that i know of

maybe one of the robins

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

but you know

not THOSE females.

?

The View costs 99.5

Am I really gettin shit for a View joke? Have you guys watched the View? I have. I don't hate it for its female perspective, if anything, it's a Patriarchal View of what an "Empowered Woman" would be. It's, at best, a menstrual show.

Nothin View specific, just real nerd treehousey.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

It's one of the upside of the Ultimate universe. Because it's Marvel's "B side" continuity there's a lot more freedom to make permanent changes to the status quo that don't get undone. Peter Parker is dead. Wolverine is dead. Reed Richards is an insane super villain. Etc.

• Options

Totally fair. One question though....were you in favor of Peter making a deal with the devil to save his 90 year old Aunt May from death by sacrificing his last twenty years of gradual character development?

Cause 101 vice points may ride on this answer.

No, it was fucking stupid and was what made me quit reading comics. That is literally the thing that has kept me from getting back into them. This right here. The answer was to let Aunt May die and bring her back later like 40 years younger through magic science wizardry.

• Options

"So your super strong and can fly and...you get lightning and photonics now?"

"What's the difference again?"

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    so is there a way to like pre-order to be on osme kind of mailing list so i can read the new thor issues on my ipad when they come out because that'd be cool

• Options
    Oh, the person who called me by the wrong name in an e-mail just e-mailed me to apologize.

i feel good about myself now.

• Options
    so is there a way to like pre-order to be on osme kind of mailing list so i can read the new thor issues on my ipad when they come out because that'd be cool

Comixology has a pull list option I believe.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

"So your super strong and can fly and...you get lightning and photonics now?"

"What's the difference again?"

She's required to punch fewer agents of A.I.M. and more Frost Giants and dragons.

This discussion has been closed.