As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] un Rendez-vous

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I think female Thor is fine and a good thing but it is absolutely a calculated grab at new and female readership, and like all things comic book, will go back to the way they were within 12 months.

Again - who the fuck cares. Unless you're reading creator owned content, everything is a push to get more people interested in the books. Why is their smugness about trying to get more female readership? It's kind of weirdly, misogynistic and douchetastically condescending.

i was on board with the female thor thing full blast until I read they revealed the news on The View.
    I want more females interested in comics

but you know

not THOSE females.

?

I'm not saying that people that watch the view are bad people. I'm just saying, every person is given 100 vice points that they can spend. Go over that, and you're a bad person.

The View costs 99.5

It'd be a real shame if people you don't like liked things you like

people might confuse you with them because you both liked a thing!

Am I really gettin shit for a View joke? Have you guys watched the View? I have. I don't hate it for its female perspective, if anything, it's a Patriarchal View of what an "Empowered Woman" would be. It's, at best, a menstrual show.

Nothin View specific, just real nerd treehousey.

The treehousery was for the sake of the view joke, not the view joke was for the sake of the tree housery. I don't give a fuck if view fanfolk read comics, but I did crinkle my nose when I read those awful canned comments from Whoopi Goldberg.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I think female Thor is fine and a good thing but it is absolutely a calculated grab at new and female readership, and like all things comic book, will go back to the way they were within 12 months.

I think Peter Parker stayed dead for like 20 months.

Was surprised they let it go that long but you know, Amazing 2 came out so....

Marvel doesn't have the movie rights to Spiderman.

No but the movie causes people to go "I should read those comic books!" (or they think it does) and they don't want them going "WTF, Why is Peter a fucking asshole?"
    Pony wrote: »
    A few years ago, Peter Parker died in the comics. Now, he only died in the Ultimate continuity, a spin-off universe created over ten years ago as a "re-imagining" of the Marvel universe. He didn't die in the main "616" continuity.

But he still died, and rather than bring him back from the dead Marvel replaced him with Miles Morales, a mixed-race teenager from New York with his own super powers who took up the identity of Spider-Man, having been inspired by Peter's life and heroism.

Marvel made a big announcement about this, since it was a new Spider-Man it was a big deal! Even if it was the "B side" continuity Spider-Man, it was still a thing!

This caused some people, most of whom don't read comics, to get their shit in a twist over this "calculated move" and "publicity stunt". A lot of noise was made over the fact that the new Spider-Man was black-hispanic (or just "black" to people who didn't really give a shit about being mad) and some said "Clearly this is just Marvel trying to pandering to black youth and the liberal market especially with this tokenism. They didn't have to change Spider-Man to be black, but I guess that's the PC thing to do now."

This was the argument people like Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs, racist conservative pieces of shit who otherwise don't say a god damn thing about comics, we're fond of.

And it's what a few of you sound like about the new Thor, especially those of you who don't read comics and cynically are allergic to people "making a fuss"

So consider if that's the side of things you want to be on.

The thing that pissed me off so much about this is that narratively Parker dying heroing it up is so obviously how he goes out and for his death to be the spark that ignites the heroism of a new Spiderman? Fucking perfect but no.....somebody fucked up their Peter Pan wonderland that never changes.

Hi. I'm that guy. But I totally recognize after a long time, that this is MY hangup and MY problem to deal with. It still doesn't change the fact that I hate non bruce wayne batman, non peter parker spidey, non steve rogers cap, etc etc. It's weird, and it's broken, and probably more than a bit childish, but hey, it's me. I just accept that this shit is what it is and try not to think about it.

Totally fair. One question though....were you in favor of Peter making a deal with the devil to save his 90 year old Aunt May from death by sacrificing his last twenty years of gradual character development?

Cause 101 vice points may ride on this answer.

No, it was fucking stupid and was what made me quit reading comics. That is literally the thing that has kept me from getting back into them. This right here. The answer was to let Aunt May die and bring her back later like 40 years younger through magic science wizardry.

Excellent. I knew you were really that evil Lud.

I do think some place for those iconic stories of comics should exist, where Parker is always Spiderman and we can have our really awesome Superman and all that jazz. It just kills me that so often to keep those we get stories that aren't so much stories as WWE matches where nothing changes or even worse where they tell us the last few years were just a fucking dream/imposter/clone/whatever.

I actually like the split between Ultimate/Normal Marvel. Keep your main universe where Iconic legends live but get the Ultimate line where you're willing to do shit like off a major character and have it stick.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    so is there a way to like pre-order to be on osme kind of mailing list so i can read the new thor issues on my ipad when they come out because that'd be cool

You can get print subscriptions and I'm pretty sure they all come with a digital code but I think the only digital subscription service is Marvel Unlimited.

edit: Thom is probably right about comixology -- I pretty much never get new comics so I dunno

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    I remember having a problem with parker dying

but it had nothing to do with a minority taking his place. It has to do with me being pretty fucked up and hating change and identifying spider-man as peter parker as much as peter parker as spider-man.

So my issue wasn't minority Spidey. It was non-peter-parker Spidey. I still don't like it. When they announced The Amazing Spiderman I was unironically ALL ABOUT Donglover playing peter parker.

i feel like maybe peter parker doesn't engage with the world the way he once did. he was a white bookworm overlooked by the girls and kind of picked on in a semi-friendly way by the star quarterback. like, there's nothing wrong with that story, but i don't think it really speaks too much to modern society.

i thought the miles morales thing sounded like a cool way to re-engage with the idea of spider-man with the modern world.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Thor is a woman! is pretty lame non-news. I guess that's how you have to sell fiction/games/movies in general and especially anything that would appear at comicon, but... ugh. The best way for me to appreciate things is to hear about them when they are released, and go experience them. Was I ever into hearing about something 1 year before release so some PR guy can tell me "revolutionary stealth system!" or am I just old now?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I think Ultimate/Normal Marvel is brilliant and I want absolutely nothing to do with Ultimate Marvel, and that's OK.

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »

they left jean grey dead for a really surprisingly long time.

i think she might be the record for a major character that i know of

maybe one of the robins

I am always amazed by that. Well I would be if the X comics hadn't become incomprehensible since I stopped reading them in the mid nineties. Every once in a while I look for a summary and make it through like a paragraph before I bail.
    emnmnme wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Did they say who the actual character is? Is it a new character or a known blonde heroine.

Ha. Maybe it'll be Carol Danvers.

"So your super strong and can fly and...you get lightning and photonics now?"

"What's the difference again?"

She's required to punch fewer agents of A.I.M. and more Frost Giants and dragons.

.....deal.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

but it had nothing to do with a minority taking his place. It has to do with me being pretty fucked up and hating change and identifying spider-man as peter parker as much as peter parker as spider-man.

So my issue wasn't minority Spidey. It was non-peter-parker Spidey. I still don't like it. When they announced The Amazing Spiderman I was unironically ALL ABOUT Donglover playing peter parker.

i feel like maybe peter parker doesn't engage with the world the way he once did. he was a white bookworm overlooked by the girls and kind of picked on in a semi-friendly way by the star quarterback. like, there's nothing wrong with that story, but i don't think it really speaks too much to modern society.

i thought the miles morales thing sounded like a cool way to re-engage with the idea of spider-man with the modern world.

picked on in a semi-friendly way?!

check your privilege will

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    and excuse me I think you mean he was a JEWISH bookworm

you cis modlord

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

you cis modlord

You owe me a new keybord for 'modlord'.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

Except

You don't read Ultimate Spider-Man, do you?

So why should you care? Why should it matter to you? You only knew it happened because media outlets told you it happened, right? How many left out the part where it was the Ultimate continuity? Did you know that?

Did you know about Superior Spider-Man, Ludious? For the last two years Peter Parker was dead. Not just in the Ultimate continuity, but the mainstream "616" universe too. He was dead. Doctor Octopus killed him, moved his mind into Peter's body, and jacked Peter's entire life (including being Spider-Man) for two years. He dumped Mary Jane and completely changed how Spider-Man behaved.

Marvel gave no indication this was a temporary storyline. Many believed eventually the status quo would be restored, but there was no guarantee.

Did you even know this happened? Were you reading Spider-Man comics at the time? Because if you weren't you probably didn't know about this. The mainstream media didn't care that Peter Parker died and was replaced by a super-villain this time... Because he was still white. And despite your emotional attachment to Peter Parker as Spider-man as an idea it's completely divorced from what goes on in the comics, so why should you give a shit what the comics do anyway? You don't read them, do you?

• Options
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    bleh, in a lot of ways Google is so babytime frolicks when it comes to developer stuff

just want to shake Mr Google and scream JAVASCRIPT IS CASE SENSITIVE SO WHY DO YOUR APIS NOT FOLLOW A CONSISTENT SCHEME FOR CAPITALIZATION?

also the localization support for extensions is laughable. though Image Checker will be localizable anyway because I'm stubborn.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

you cis modlord

You owe me a new keybord for 'modlord'.

hope you like a dvorak with blacked out keys

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O1pJt7_EcU

Doesn't look friendly at all.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    the following keys on my work keyboard are worn to the point you can't read the letters at all: asdflkimcv.

and the following are almost gone: wejbo,

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Except

So why should you care? Why should it matter to you? You only knew it happened because media outlets told you it happened, right? How many left out the part where it was the Ultimate continuity? Did you know that?

Did you know about Superior Spider-Man, Ludious? For the last two years Peter Parker was dead. Not just in the Ultimate continuity, but the mainstream "616" universe too. He was dead. Doctor Octopus killed him, moved his mind into Peter's body, and jacked Peter's entire life (including being Spider-Man) for two years. He dumped Mary Jane and completely changed how Spider-Man behaved.

Marvel gave no indication this was a temporary storyline. Many believed eventually the status quo would be restored, but there was no guarantee.

Did you even know this happened? Were you reading Spider-Man comics at the time? Because if you weren't you probably didn't know about this. The mainstream media didn't care that Peter Parker died and was replaced by a super-villain this time... Because he was still white. And despite your emotional attachment to Peter Parker as Spider-man as an idea it's completely divorced from what goes on in the comics, so why should you give a shit what the comics do anyway? You don't read them, do you?

Except Superior Spider-Man was on the front page of CNN when it happened and yes, I don't read comics but I keep up from a distance. And I thought that was retarded too, but I knew it ultimately wouldn't be a permanent change.

Also you need to take it down about 12 notches there, Pony. We're talking about Spider-Man here broski.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

Oh look its Sheriff White Knight!

Hey guys, better warn Robin "Bootstraps" Hood !

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

Again - who the fuck cares. Unless you're reading creator owned content, everything is a push to get more people interested in the books. Why is their smugness about trying to get more female readership? It's kind of weirdly, misogynistic and douchetastically condescending.

i was on board with the female thor thing full blast until I read they revealed the news on The View.

but you know

not THOSE females.

?

I'm not saying that people that watch the view are bad people. I'm just saying, every person is given 100 vice points that they can spend. Go over that, and you're a bad person.

The View costs 99.5

Am I really gettin shit for a View joke? Have you guys watched the View? I have. I don't hate it for its female perspective, if anything, it's a Patriarchal View of what an "Empowered Woman" would be. It's, at best, a menstrual show.

The treehousery was for the sake of the view joke, not the view joke was for the sake of the tree housery. I don't give a fuck if view fanfolk read comics, but I did crinkle my nose when I read those awful canned comments from Whoopi Goldberg.

TBF this is [chat], Treehouse central. Not to get super Meta about it or anything but we is some treehousing motherlovas in here hth

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    oh God. It's starting.
    ready to go to the pool at 7?

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Can someone explain why part of me doesn't want to go see my friends on Friday? I need it just to get away from here and among supportive folk. But ugh, I feel so shitty that I don't want to see anyone.

• Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    Man, SCP Foundation is the best wiki to read while bored at work.

wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    Jokerman wrote: »

but you know

not THOSE females.

?

The View costs 99.5

TBF this is [chat], Treehouse central. Not to get super Meta about it or anything but we is some treehousing motherlovas in here hth

As someone on the fringes, I'm not really sure I agree with this statement. There is a difference in treehousing and just having a built up community with it's own shared experiences.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    ...and my bus is stupid late and now I might miss my appointment.

Stupid day.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    So much of the Marvel/DC marketing towards women just feels so like, 1990s still.

Like it almost always feels exactly like a committee of all-dudes brainstorming what those darn women want, and deciding that well obviously they just want the same characters and same stories as they've always done, but with ovaries. It's the flipside of the same old attitude that obviously you can't have an animated movie with just female leads, because no male would ever watch such a thing.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    No need to spew all of this venom

all it's going to do is cause carnage in the chat thread

and the mods already think we're a bunch of kraven treehousers too afraid to socialize well with others

I know you fancy yourself the kingpin of being right, and you love goblin up nerd controversy, but Pony, this is going to come to you as a Shocker, but it's just a comic book. We're allowed to have differing opinions about them. So stop circling like a Vulture waiting to pounce on the least amount of disagreement.

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    ...and my bus is stupid late and now I might miss my appointment.

Stupid day.

Ugh, that is bullshit.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Are we counting past Jean coming to the future to be "Jean Grey alive again!"

Cause that seems like cheating.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Cinders wrote: »
    Can someone explain why part of me doesn't want to go see my friends on Friday? I need it just to get away from here and among supportive folk. But ugh, I feel so shitty that I don't want to see anyone.

It is becuse you feel shitty. Hopefully you will feel better if you force yourself to get out for a bit.

Neco on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i need like 50 million comics on my ipad now pls

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

Except

Except Superior Spider-Man was on the front page of CNN when it happened and yes, I don't read comics but I keep up from a distance. And I thought that was retarded too, but I knew it ultimately wouldn't be a permanent change.

Also you need to take it down about 12 notches there, Pony. We're talking about Spider-Man here broski.

SERIOUS BISNESS!

Also there was a huge goddammed nerd kerfluffle at the beginning of superior. People were calling it the Clone Saga II.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Flash Thompson's bullying of Peter has been made more and more malicious with each retelling of Peter's origin and Flash has been made into more and more of an asshole in each version.

I think it's just a result of "Peter is bullied by Flash" stays part of his story in every version but society's view on bullying changes.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    So much of the Marvel/DC marketing towards women just feels so like, 1990s still.

Like it almost always feels exactly like a committee of all-dudes brainstorming what those darn women want, and deciding that well obviously they just want the same characters and same stories as they've always done, but with ovaries. It's the flipside of the same old attitude that obviously you can't have an animated movie with just female leads, because no male would ever watch such a thing.

I disagree with this, female Thor and the new Batgirl are both SUPER REFRESHING to me as a lady. I know I'm being marketed to but I don't feel talked down to at all.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

they left jean grey dead for a really surprisingly long time.

i think she might be the record for a major character that i know of

maybe one of the robins

I am always amazed by that. Well I would be if the X comics hadn't become incomprehensible since I stopped reading them in the mid nineties. Every once in a while I look for a summary and make it through like a paragraph before I bail.

i started reading comics right around xmen 140. jean grey was dead and i guess looking at it now it hadn't been for that long, but the way they referred to it, it seemed to me like dark phoenix was forever ago. it was around 1980

i guess they brought her back when they launched x-factor or x-force, i forget. someone wanted to run a classic x-men reboot. i think it was around 1986

so leaving a well-known character dead for 6 years is pretty ballsy i guess. i have no idea how popular jean grey was overall, but still. that represented a good section - definitely the majority - of my comic book reading career.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Cinders wrote: »

Because that is what happens when you feel generically shitty. But you really should go.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Corbius wrote: »

I'd read the entries, but the people there hate my guts.

• Options
    bleh, in a lot of ways Google is so babytime frolicks when it comes to developer stuff

just want to shake Mr Google and scream JAVASCRIPT IS CASE SENSITIVE SO WHY DO YOUR APIS NOT FOLLOW A CONSISTENT SCHEME FOR CAPITALIZATION?

also the localization support for extensions is laughable. though Image Checker will be localizable anyway because I'm stubborn.

guava is a tits utility library

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Corbius wrote: »

I'd read the entries, but the people there hate my guts.

Oh the actual SCP people are total assholes. They make treehousing look like an amateur's game.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O1pJt7_EcU

Doesn't look friendly at all.

TIL Flash grew up to be Alcide.

This discussion has been closed.