Options

[Steam] Thread: Your monstrous control scheme preference is welcome here.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    You might as well RMA it yourself so your brother doesn't have to deal with the hassle of it presumably being linked to your old info. They also sometimes upgrade cards if it is an old enough card that they might not have enough on hand to replace. Probably won't get you a 770 but may be something worthwhile. 570 should be pretty on the border.

I RMAed a 770 myself and it was a pretty painless process with EVGA.

Just checked my mobo, and I don't have a PCIe 3.0 slot anyway, so I can't upgrade my video card. Pretty much stuck with what I got so I gotta RMA it myself anyway.

No, you can. A 570 like you have should have the same size input as a 770. 570 might be 2.0 and 770 is 3.0 but the cards are backwards compatible. It shouldn't bottleneck the 770. I don't think there's a single GPU system that really gets that much of a boost out of 3.0 yet gaming wise. Heck we'll probably be on 4.0 before we see hardware taking real advantage of 3.0.

Though if your MOBO is old enough to not have a 3.0 slot it may mean it's time to upgrade in general

Thanks for that! I didn't know that 3.0 cards could be used with 2.0 slots. I was brought up to always match the numbers and such when building PCs, so this is somewhat surprising news.

I would love to make a new machine but I'm still a poor jobless college graduate working on an Indie in his parents house. Maybe after this game gets finished, or I find a job I can afford to splurge on a new hotness.

• Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    signature.png

In a weird twist, @Gear Girl‌ has won my Baldur's Gate II giveaway for the indecipherable month of July.

You are a consistent voice of class in this thread Taramoor. There's much talk of gift wars and pink assassin's(awesome pink assassin's) but you are always there in the background noise of the steam thread with your never ending giveaways and your adorable moogle. Pure, raw class. Thanks so much!

P.S. Taramoor has 120 games wishlisted guys, I find that unacceptable.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    @Gear Girl‌ has decided that just giving me an X-COM game is not enough.

He has also gifted me Prototype 2 and Divinity: Original Sin.

I think you all know what to do.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So I've installed a whole slew of games. And I've tested the temperatures and compared it to what it was before I got the spiffy i5cpu and case from you amazing people.
    All games at 1080p and temperatures were taken after about 20 minutes to a half hour of play.
    Crysis 3 - pre upgrade
    Ran at medium-high settings.
    Gpu temp: 87C
    Cpu temp: 92C (holy shit right!?) But after thermal paste reapplied it dropped a smidgen to 88C

Crysis 3 - post upgrade
    Runs at high/ultra settings with AA enabled.
    Gpu temp: 70C
    Cpu temp: 55C

That is mad. A massive drop. It's like that with darn near all the games. Witcher 2 is shocking as it runs at a minimum of 40fps on max settings.

This is amazing. I don't have the front fan working at all yet too since there aren't enough connectors. Gonna eventually get a fan controller or multi adaptor for molex. But for right now it is perfect tbh.

Oh and up to 5tb now since I managed to sort out the old hdd :D

Once again a massive Thank you to my generous and freaking amazing gifters @cardboard delusions‌, @Berylline‌, @Shogun‌, @spoit, @mts‌, @Pixelated Pixie‌, @minor incident‌ and possibly a few others I've completely gone and missed! There are not enough words to express just how grateful I am d for everything you've done! <3

Big Classy on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Bal

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    6th post on the 66th page... spooky.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    You might as well RMA it yourself so your brother doesn't have to deal with the hassle of it presumably being linked to your old info. They also sometimes upgrade cards if it is an old enough card that they might not have enough on hand to replace. Probably won't get you a 770 but may be something worthwhile. 570 should be pretty on the border.

I RMAed a 770 myself and it was a pretty painless process with EVGA.

Just checked my mobo, and I don't have a PCIe 3.0 slot anyway, so I can't upgrade my video card. Pretty much stuck with what I got so I gotta RMA it myself anyway.

No, you can. A 570 like you have should have the same size input as a 770. 570 might be 2.0 and 770 is 3.0 but the cards are backwards compatible. It shouldn't bottleneck the 770. I don't think there's a single GPU system that really gets that much of a boost out of 3.0 yet gaming wise. Heck we'll probably be on 4.0 before we see hardware taking real advantage of 3.0.

Though if your MOBO is old enough to not have a 3.0 slot it may mean it's time to upgrade in general

Thanks for that! I didn't know that 3.0 cards could be used with 2.0 slots. I was brought up to always match the numbers and such when building PCs, so this is somewhat surprising news.

I would love to make a new machine but I'm still a poor jobless college graduate working on an Indie in his parents house. Maybe after this game gets finished, or I find a job I can afford to splurge on a new hotness.

3.0 cards definitely work in 2.0 slots. I have an Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard (x58) and my new 780 works just fine with it.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Beat Strider. It was a decent game, but I have two real complaints

-The combat is mostly brain dead.. running straight forward and slashing the shit out of everything works a little too well. Even when you have to switch up tactics, it really is basically just swapping to a different weapon, or hopping back and forth around a bigger enemy until it dies

-Trying to get 100% is a pain in the ass. The level transition areas aren't labeled on the map, so finding your way to other zones is a fucking chore, especially with no fast travel system, all the smaller collectibles (story intel, character bios, concept art.. basically anything that isn't an upgrade) don't show up on the map. Also, there's large and small health containers in the game; the small ones respawn but the big ones apparently count as collectibles. Also, this isn't the kind of game where you can beat it and then go back and get the collectibles; you have to do that shit before you go to the final zone. :p

Otherwise, it was pretty fun. The controls were smooth and it looked great (I was getting slowdown in some areas, but apparently setting it to "window" mode doesn't actually make it run in a window, and it turns off v-sync which fixed the issue: I just wish I had found out about it sooner). The music was decent, though I really liked the "Strider" theme cue that played when you got a new item or killed a boss.

I probably won't play it again on hard and try to get all the achievements though, so I'm calling this one done. Another one off the backlog! 46 to go!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    What order should I play the Blackwell games in?

The order of release is as follows:

1. The Blackwell Legact
    2. Blackwell Unbound
    3. Blackwell Convergence
    4. Blackwell Deception
    5. Blackwell Epiphany

(I need to play through them eventually too, so this was a good excuse for me to finally look up the order)

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @Kristmas Kthulhu your Sorcerer's Lair score is still showing as your old one?

no worries, I beat the new one :)
    A5B1506E53B3093C31EEE7F452EA34C8F058966B

I should have had more too, I was 1 mission away from a 3rd midnight mode! that was really good fun, please beat this score so I can play it again

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @Gear Girl‌ has decided that just giving me an X-COM game is not enough.

He has also gifted me Prototype 2 and Divinity: Original Sin.

I think you all know what to do.

Point and laugh? Breath a sigh of relief it was you? Duck for cover?

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    So after my last rig wouldn't even run Watch Dogs - literally, it just crashed right out with an out of memory error - I installed it again last night to try it on the new machine.

Cranked up every setting.

It ran buttery smooth.

IT WAS GLORIOUS.

So many games I want to go back and try out with MOAR EYECANDY, I don't even know where to start...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So after my last rig wouldn't even run Watch Dogs - literally, it just crashed right out with an out of memory error - I installed it again last night to try it on the new machine.

It ran buttery smooth.

IT WAS GLORIOUS.

So many games I want to go back and try out with MOAR EYECANDY, I don't even know where to start...

Feels so good right?! I was abbsolutely beaming at being able to play stuff on max settings at a table framerate. Watch Dogs is still finnicky but people with setups more powerful than mine struggle with it so that is more to do with the game than the pc. But Witcher 3 on max settings? Crysis 3 on high-ultra settings? OHMAGAWD.

• Options
    I hope Watch Dogs gets a decent sale soon. I know it was too much to hope for in the Summer Dale, given that it's such a recent tentpole release, but come the Winter Gale, maybe it'll be a bit cheaper. Maybe even before. It's definitely something I'm curious about seeing how it runs on my machine. (Don't anybody dare buy me the bloody thing, I know what you lot are like. ;) )

I actually got it on the 360 (I know, I know) and it's not bad, but you can tell it wasn't designed for that machine and was in fact squeezed into it with a shoehorn.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Witcher 3 on max settings?

HALF-LIFE 3 CONF- oh, wait.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Gear Girl‌ ....

...He....
    Uhhhhh...

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Gear Girl‌ ....

...He....
    Uhhhhh...

I do believe he is indeed a he.

Hee hee.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Gear Girl‌ ....

...He....
    Uhhhhh...

I do believe he is indeed a he.

Hee hee.

He is a he. He picked the name he used for his heroine in City of Heroes long, long ago. Maybe twice he's mentioned how he thinks that might have been a mistake to me.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    In other news, since Dark Souls 2 apparently doesn't put its save games in any logical place like "My documents/my games/" or in the Dark Souls 2 folder or in the Steam folder anywhere, but rather in the goddamnfucking obscure "appdata/roaming/" folder, I lost my level 40-something game and have to restart. Sonova--

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    07I4Pd5.jpg
    In other news, since Dark Souls 2 apparently doesn't put its save games in any logical place like "My documents/my games/" or in the Dark Souls 2 folder or in the Steam folder anywhere, but rather in the goddamnfucking obscure "appdata/roaming/" folder, I lost my level 40-something game and have to restart. Sonova--
    Next time use this to backup all the savegames of your old system automatically: http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

• Options
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Next time use this to backup all the savegames of your old system automatically: http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

I appreciate that that exists, and thanks for linking it, but it shouldn't even be necessary. Windows provides a perfectly sensible user-specific place for devs to store game data, saves, etc. Backing up that folder is simple/straightforward. And if they don't want to use that for some dumb reason, they could just use the same damn folder the game installs to. That the devs choose to put the files in some obscure place (heck, a place that many users don't even know exists) is just plain asinine on their part. It's completely nonsensical bullshit and I would like to dickpunch them for doing it.

:?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Project Aftermath
    Loading...?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Yes, well, From Software is also the dev that released a PC game in 2013 that was locked at 720p and 30fps.

Good judgement with regards to PC development clearly isn't their thang.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Iolo wrote: »
    Exposition
    After you all 'unlocked' my accepting gifts again during our summer charity drive, I received a positively staggering deluge of gifts. I feel extraordinarily fortunate to be a part of this community, gifts or not. But gifts are nice, if we're being honest ;), and are very much appreciated.

So thank you again. We're starting small, but stick around. We're working towards a giveaway for every forumer who sent me something during the sale. (Let's hope this doesn't break the forum...)

Some Ladies and Gentlemen of Class and Refinement
    Thanks again to:

xiears
    TreadLife
    Sumanai
    rikdaly
    PA Dallas
    Orivon
    mts
    minor incident
    LostNinja
    Krummith
    Kami
    JMan711
    jclast
    Isorn
    initiatefailure
    Idx86
    IdolNinja
    HiT BiT
    hatedinamerica
    Halfazedninja
    Goumindong
    GnomeTank
    Elin
    DaxterMax
    CroakerBC
    Broncbuster
    bloodatonement
    Big Classy
    Berylline
    Arithon32
    ArbitraryDescriptor
    Antoshka
    akajaybay
    aerynkelly
    Adellios
    "Anime Toast" (forumer of mystery)

Buncha Giveaways.
    Closing Tonight -- GET IN HERE!
    signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Like I said, a frankly overwhelming display of class and generosity. I really appreciate it.

Oh, and after the Summer Dale, the Pinkpocalypse descended upon us and two more forumers saw fit to class up my inbox. Thanks again to @Radiation and @akajaybay‌. Seems a shame not to add a couple more just because the sale had technically ended...

signature.png

signature.png

<3 all you guys.

EDIT: Retconning this in for @Gear Girl‌'s generosity on the next page:

signature.png

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    So the place where I'm staying for a week on vacation has wifi, but for some reason it won't let me connect to the Steam store. Even weirder, the Steam client will connect, show I'm online and I can join chat rooms for my groups, but no store/no other community stuff, etc.

Any recommendations?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    @Kristmas Kthulhu your Sorcerer's Lair score is still showing as your old one?

no worries, I beat the new one :)
    A5B1506E53B3093C31EEE7F452EA34C8F058966B

I should have had more too, I was 1 mission away from a 3rd midnight mode! that was really good fun, please beat this score so I can play it again

SON OF A BITCH!
    <3

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    @Ed Gruberman hit me up with some Space Hulk DLC. Thanks, man - we really need to get some co-op games going in here. For the Emperor!
    Also obviously horrible revengeance ASAP

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Did someone mention the Emprah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2nM1GEllg&amp;list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA

Back to on-topic. I have no idea why I left The Wolf Among Us unfinished since episode 2, but I am fixing that today.

Gotta do something while I'm fiending for more The Walking Dead.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    the classiness is never-ending O_O

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    You are all making me wish I could afford to build a new computer.

Has anyone played Ghostship Aftermath and what is 100% Orange Juice?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »
    For anyone who's interested The International 4 Dota 2 Finals are going on. C9 vs Na'vi right now. There's even a newcomer's commentary catered for those who don't know what's going on during the match. $10+ million total distributed prize pool. 1st place gets $5+ million.

Its semi-finals, loser bracket. Not even close to finals. Grand finals is on monday, theres still two more days of loser bracket games. :D

Shiiiiit. That kind of puts into perspective Evo, where some people started getting angsty because the Smash Bros top 8 was overrunning its schedule time (like it always does) and went on for almost an entire three hours can you believe that.

And I watched all of it. I love professional Melee. It's such a fast and complex game.

Here's to hoping the new one also gets a good scene. I want to see the new characters, but Brawl was so slow it shooed everyone off.

On the other hand, I worry that having been just so LONG, the pros might have become so entrenched in Melee that any deviation might scare them off, sort of like how a lot of people didn't play SFIII despite it being amazing because "not muh SFII".

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Yes, well, From Software is also the dev that released a PC game in 2013 that was locked at 720p and 30fps.

Yes, and then they released DS2, which had none of that problem.

Also DS1 was released in the tail end of 2012.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

Close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

And apparently DS2 has the problem of not storing game saves properly, which is arguably just as bad. Not a great track record on actually being a PC dev.

• Options

And apparently DS2 has the problem of not storing game saves properly, which is arguably just as bad. Not a great track record on actually being a PC dev.

It also has the problem of purporting to support KBAM but still being broken in that regard (for example, it has a vicious mouse input lag that makes timing blocks and certain attacks like jump attacks pretty much impossible without a community workaround).

They've improved since DS1. But they still need to hire someone who knows PC gaming. :P

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

It's not uncommon for games to store the save files in the Appdata folder.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

It ran buttery smooth.

IT WAS GLORIOUS.

So, I'm curious. What are the specs of the new system? You can't be all "I got a new computer" and not share the gritty details.

sig.gif
  • Options

I can't think of any major titles that do. Maybe indies by new/inexperienced devs who don't know any better. I have bazillions of games that all save their games in the My Docs folder somewhere. As they should.

Sorce wrote: »

It ran buttery smooth.

IT WAS GLORIOUS.

So, I'm curious. What are the specs of the new system? You can't be all "I got a new computer" and not share the gritty details.

CPU: i5-4690K
    Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
    GPU: MSI Radeon R9-280X
    RAM: 16GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
    SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO
    HDDs: 2x1TB Western Digital Black (one new, one reused)
    PSU: 750W Corsair

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm 300 game days back into floris mod for Warband and I just remembered that the reason that it's been so easy to curb stomp these 300+ mobs of bandits is because they are mindless rabble with no leadership.

Once I start fighting the Kingdoms, I'm going to face tactically balanced groups, infantry backed up by archers, Calvary that doesn't leave everyone behind to get outflanked. An outfit that marches forward slowly as a consistent group that isn't vulnerable to Calvary charges.

It's going to be fun, I predict lots of running in battles of attrition.

• Options

I would call it "uncommon" for sure. Not unheard of, but nowhere near common. And even so, it's still wrong, and it just complicates backing up saves even more so.

I think when I last migrated hard drives I lost one or two saves for that reason, out of the 70ish games I had installed.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I can't think of any major titles that do. Maybe indies by new/inexperienced devs who don't know any better. I have bazillions of games that all save their games in the My Docs folder somewhere. As they should.

Sorce wrote: »

It ran buttery smooth.

IT WAS GLORIOUS.

CPU: i5-4690K
    Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
    GPU: MSI Radeon R9-280X
    RAM: 16GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
    SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO
    HDDs: 2x1TB Western Digital Black (one new, one reused)
    PSU: 750W Corsair

That is basically my new computer bought two weeks ago but with one more step up of everything. A 4690K instead of a 4690, a Radeon 980X instead of a 980, 2 1tb drives instead of one...

I am a little bit jelly. But I did what I could with my budget.

Steam ID: Right here.
This discussion has been closed.