Options

sniped [chat]

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Oh! Speaking of people who worship Fox News, our daughter went to visit my Grandfather for the last couple of days, her last visit before going off to college. She's there with my Mom who is pretty liberal politically, so Granddad pulls spool18 aside and slips her this as his big gift to her for college:

pJsxD2Sl.jpg

joke's on him, he's just driving her closer to pot and listening to Tool

She called me and was laughing so hard she could barely speak, her ultimate take on it: "Well, I guess, he really loves me and wants to be sure I'm well armed. It's good to be loved, even if it's sorta weird."

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Casual, if you don't watch the Wire, I'll smack you when I get to Europe.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    visiblehowl man you really changed

hahahaha

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    You guys are really validating our decision to never buy cable TV again :)

Especially since the Wire is on Amazon now.

*nods*

We watched the first 2 seasons, my life is already difficult and fraught with horrific stories, I don't want to watch a show that reinforces feeling like shit.

I would stay away from Game of Thrones

See, what belasco said puts me off the wire, but man do I love GoT...

I am perfectly fine with watching fantastical recreations of ancient historical struggles. Game of Thrones is Wars of the Roses. With boobs and dragons.

It feels remarkably different from watching a show set in a real city with real problems we still haven't solved, with systemic race and class issues front and center.

I am definitely the same way. The fantastical elements make it easier to shrug off I guess. But I still wouldn't recommend GoT to anyone that wants to avoid feeling like shit ;p

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I roasted the two hatch chilies I had left in the fridge today. Made myself burrito fixings with them and some cube steak. Also beans and some rice which I made up Chipotle style with cilantro, lime and salt.

Those were not mild chilies. I would say mediums. Burned like hell for about 5 minutes.

They were wonderful.

And I have more than enough for a big burrito bowl for lunch tomorrow.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

*nods*

We watched the first 2 seasons, my life is already difficult and fraught with horrific stories, I don't want to watch a show that reinforces feeling like shit.

It's not nearly as bad as GoT.

Is anything as ruthless as GoT? GRRM is possibly the most vicious SOB that has ever put pen to paper.

the institutions in the wire don't fix the problems

the institutions in GoT are actively out to get you

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    leftist_burn.mp4

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Does her grandfather know she's going to a school with no majors and no grades?

shhhhhh!

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

*nods*

It's not nearly as bad as GoT.

Is anything as ruthless as GoT? GRRM is possibly the most vicious SOB that has ever put pen to paper.

No. It's hard to watch in a way that isn't killing everyone that you care about.

• Options
    belasco I @'d you about twau where is my response >:[

Um um um...eep?

I haven't played the last chapter yet...it's hard for me to admit, but I have to wait until I have one of my boys around 'cause I can't button mash fast enough sometimes, my nails get in the way. So, I'll be playing and suddenly it wants me to hit Q rapidly and I end up shrieking "BOYS! COME HELP!" Thankfully, they seem to see this as a way of being uber masculine and helping their mother.

back in the day I just opened the pickle jar for my mom when I wanted to feel like a man

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2014
    Oh shit, I forgot about the Awesome Blossom at Chili's

m3ng17la0gjx.jpg

When it existed, the similar style Awesome Blossom at Chili's was ranked "Worst Appetizer in America" by Men's Health magazine in 2008 for the unusually high totals of calories and fat, with 2,710 calories, 203 grams (1,827 calories) of fat, 194 grams of carbohydrates, and 6,360 milligrams of sodium, with as much fat as 67 strips of bacon.

edit: I knew a guy who would order that for his dinner, and wash it down with a couple beers.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

:winky:?

• Options

He's her 90 year old great-grandfather, we love him and see this sort of thing more as something sweet, though misguided, since he does mean well.

I just get pissed because he's remarkably wealthy and though he knows she's going into A LOT of debt to go to school he special orders that for her as his way to support her. My family is soooooo fucked up lol.

• Options

this aggression will not stand

• Options
    belasco I @'d you about twau where is my response >:[

Um um um...eep?

I haven't played the last chapter yet...it's hard for me to admit, but I have to wait until I have one of my boys around 'cause I can't button mash fast enough sometimes, my nails get in the way. So, I'll be playing and suddenly it wants me to hit Q rapidly and I end up shrieking "BOYS! COME HELP!" Thankfully, they seem to see this as a way of being uber masculine and helping their mother.

GET ON IT

*meekly* yes, dear.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

He's her 90 year old great-grandfather, we love him and see this sort of thing more as something sweet, though misguided, since he does mean well.

I just get pissed because he's remarkably wealthy and though he knows she's going into A LOT of debt to go to school he special orders that for her as his way to support her. My family is soooooo fucked up lol.

yo, money is for vaults, not for people

hippy

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I'm watching Cosmos with my mom

Neil Degrasse Tyson is talking about how natural selection caused eyes to come about, and my mom is randomly dispensing comments

"Bullshit"
    "Of course not, this guy's an idiot, who is he?"
    "THEN WHY DO FISH STILL EXIST"

it's adorable

• Options

Neil Degrasse Tyson is talking about how natural selection caused eyes to come about, and my mom is randomly dispensing comments

"Bullshit"

it's adorable

I think this would cause me physical pain.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about taking it easier next semester.

Maybe switching out a big class with a final for a small seminar.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    140819185721-household-income-dot-top-620xa.png

you see this kind of misleading thing on cnn all the time

this graph would be fine if it was like, ten times taller and started at 0

also 2011 is not the midpoint of 2009-2014

the incorrect timescale understates the fall from 2009-2011 and overstates growth from 2011-2014 because it fucks with the slope of the lines

People that make bad graphs are terrible

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Mazzyx wrote: »

"Bullshit"

it's adorable

I'm calmly answering her questions

like, she's an intelligent woman but she clearly was never actually taught how natural selection works

he just explained that humans don't actually come from chimpanzees but that we share a common ancestor and she was like "I thought you atheists thought humans came from chimps", and she's like "oh"

like there are gaps a mile wide in her religious upbringing knowledge on the subject

override367 on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

"Bullshit"

it's adorable

You should probably have your brain scanned for aneurysms after hearing such things.

Neco on
  • Options

"Bullshit"

it's adorable

like, she's an intelligent woman but she clearly was never actually taught how natural selection works

For a minute there I was afraid she fell into the Fox News Creationist Collective.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Man spool's daughter is going to date a black panther.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    I roasted the two hatch chilies I had left in the fridge today. Made myself burrito fixings with them and some cube steak. Also beans and some rice which I made up Chipotle style with cilantro, lime and salt.

Those were not mild chilies. I would say mediums. Burned like hell for about 5 minutes.

They were wonderful.

I harvested chilis from the garden today. Very hot. Maybe I'll grind them up into some tacos.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

"Bullshit"

it's adorable

he just explained that humans don't actually come from chimpanzees but that we share a common ancestor and she was like "I thought you atheists thought humans came from chimps", and she's like "oh"

Wizards Jesus did it.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    140819185721-household-income-dot-top-620xa.png

you see this kind of misleading thing on cnn all the time

this graph would be fine if it was like, ten times taller and started at 0

also 2011 is not the midpoint of 2009-2014

the incorrect timescale understates the fall from 2009-2011 and overstates growth from 2011-2014 because it fucks with the slope of the lines

Yeah, but nobody beats the king.

nhaxnj9un41r.jpg

uly6vwgtg5cz.jpg
    how do people not notice this shit!!!?!?!??!

on Monday on the bus there was a full on psychotic man. haven't seen someone that badly off in a while. He would burst out yelling strange collections of words in a highly aggressive manner. Sometimes these were directed at people around him but usually he addressed empty space. Everything about his stance and mannerisms and tone was so furious that in someone not so obviously crippled by mental illness I would say that physical violence was imminent and unavoidable.

If you ignored the meaning and just listened to tone and cadence it would sound like sound-bite slogans. I've noticed that the deeply deranged often have great skill at oratory if you ignore the content of what they are saying (for example the black woman who rode the same bus I commuted on and would harangue anyone who would listen about how the real enemy of black people is not whites but secular homosexual jews was a top notch orator). He spoke as if a thousand slogans were dumped in a blender then reassembled them at random.

I listened to almost an hour of this between waiting for the bus then the ride itself. The most commonly repeated scream was "HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU FACEBOOKED MY NAME? HOW MANY TIMES?". While each statement was usually nonsense it quickly became clear he was deeply angry at gays, immigrants (occasionally demanding to see proof that those around him were US citizens), any kind of technology or computers, police who weren't "local" and - of course - the federal government. At one point he nearly leaped out of his seat and started really getting in the face of one of the other riders screaming that they had an "x9 warrant" out against them and the *redacted* in the govmn't would be coming for them leading up to "SIR, GO POOPOO IN JAIL! .... SEE I AM BEING NICE".

In short, he was a walking amalgam of Fox News content. While he clearly had underlying problems and the paranoid fantasies of the right were merely filling in the content for his delusions I honestly think that he is very close to the end result of someone, no matter how neurotypical, listening to Fox News and talk radio from Glenn Beck and his ilk every day for years on end.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Kagera wrote: »
    Man spool's daughter is going to date a black panther.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-wont-have-my-daughter-bringing-a-black-man-into,17246/

• Options
    spool's daughter is far more concerned about joining the Altar Guild at the local Episcopal Church when she gets up North than she is about politics. Plus *braces for spool to explode* she's crazy about this guy who lives in Australia and he's a proper hippy, though I do understand that he bathes regularly and has a job.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    spool's daughter is far more concerned about joining the Altar Guild at the local Episcopal Church when she gets up North than she is about politics. Plus *braces for spool to explode* she's crazy about this guy who lives in Australia and he's a proper hippy, though I do understand that he bathes regularly and has a job.

Wait, how can he be a proper hippie if he buys into capitalism and western standards of cleanliness?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    aEGGxnM_460s.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2014

"regularly"

"job"

kedinik on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    aEGGxnM_460s.jpg

I'm with George Lopez on this. Fuck all y'alls.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    my dad made poppy seed babka and folded the dough one hundred times like glorious nippon steel

it was delicious

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Guys'a fucking lowlife. That's all I'll say on the matter.

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »

They were wonderful.

I harvested chilis from the garden today. Very hot. Maybe I'll grind them up into some tacos.

Tacos were my original plan or at least taco style meat.

But burritos were on hand and thus it became burrito night.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

"Bullshit"

it's adorable

I've been watching this again recently now that it's in netflix streaming. Such a thoroughly great show. Love it.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    What does "lowlife" even mean?

i know it means "bad person" but, beyond that...

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

"regularly"

"job"

Surfing is totally a job brah

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

ug, Australians

I'm sorry spool.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
This discussion has been closed.