Options

Video games must be destroyed with a Giant Bomb.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I don't think that I really agree with this at all and it was written kind of crazily.

I agree with it as I read it as a criticism of people who try to push games like Depression Quest and Gone Home out of the medium instead of allowing them to be, and allowing other people to enjoy them.

But the main criticism of Depression Quest, Gone Home, and others is that they "aren't games." Not that they're bad games, or objectively do not deserve to be labeled "THE BEST," but that they aren't games at all. And Cara Ellison's post doesn't really address that?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

I don't think that I really agree with this at all and it was written kind of crazily.

I agree with it as I read it as a criticism of people who try to push games like Depression Quest and Gone Home out of the medium instead of allowing them to be, and allowing other people to enjoy them.

But the main criticism of Depression Quest, Gone Home, and others is that they "aren't games." Not that they're bad games, or objectively do not deserve to be labeled "THE BEST," but that they aren't games at all. And Cara Ellison's post doesn't really address that?

Perhaps it's because that argument is stupid and dumb and incorrect and she wanted to talk about the points that matter

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    walking dead 2 episode 4 spoilers
    like I still don't know about sarah's deck death being a "ha ha told you she was useless!"

but the way it abruptly cuts off her arc makes the speech you gave her earlier that much less about her and that much more about you

and sarah only existing to benefit clem's arc is... bothersome to me

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Perhaps it's because that argument is stupid and dumb and incorrect and she wanted to talk about the points that matter

I disagree.

I think there is an interesting discussion to be had about what defines a game, even if most of the people arguing Gone Home isn't a game are geese.

I also don't think claiming that the games industry has a specific obsession with finding "THE BEST" is accurate or insightful.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Whereas one can know without any further investigation that what the boyfriend did was incredibly shitty, so why is that barely focused on aside from a cursory "yeah he shouldn't have done that" before moving on to the specifics of what she allegedly did.

it's... it's been covered pretty explicitly and there isn't any real debate on the fact

like, I'm fairly certain everyone possibly involves agreed "this thing he did was a result of frustration and also immature and awful"

There have been some posts in this very thread that border on sympathizing with him.

and?

you can sympathize with him and still agree that what he did was shitty

they are not mutually exclusive

Of course that is true, I agree.

I just don't think that expressing sympathy with this person, who in the context of this situation is essentially an emotional terrorist, is an especially valuable or constructive contribution to this discussion. That said sure, I agree that people can and should feel however they want to about the situation/person (in relation to their own past experiences or whatever). It just weirds me out. What are you trying to get across by posting that? idgi

I'm not trying to indirectly talk shit, either (and I apologize if it's coming across that way). I just...it bugged me.

I think we might actually be looking for the word 'empathize'

I don't feel sorry for him or condone his actions

He's a shitheel

I do understand them though

Assuming he is being honest, he has my sympathy. It sounds awful to have your trust betrayed in that manner. I can't empathize as I've never (that I know of) been cheated on. I don't feel like what he did was reasonable, and I don't condone what he's done. Regardless of Zoe's actions he took a private matter and made it very public.

It certainly seems like there is plenty of blame to go around here though.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    of course gone home isn't a game, it's art

video games aren't art

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

but the article is just mostly a jumbled rant that doesn't really talk about anything other than that Capitalism is to blame and also supported by people liking things and comparing them to other things.

• Options

I have not played Depression Quest. Isn't it a choose-your-own adventure story? No luck, no puzzles, etc? I'd say that makes it interactive fiction. Either that or I read a lot of video games as a kid.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

video games aren't art

what about frog fractions 2????

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    THREAD CATCH UP

Remember 30 pages ago when the topic of Worst scene in movie history came up?

It's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLntlRklNBU

The playground fight from Daredevil.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Oh god damnit.

Let's not do the "is it a game" or "is it art" argument, even as a joke.

Pretty please?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    there is too much overlap between people who think gone home is not a game and people who like visual novels for me to take that seriously

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

video games aren't art

nobody said frog fractions 2 would be a video game

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

I have not played Depression Quest. Isn't it a choose-your-own adventure story? No luck, no puzzles, etc? I'd say that makes it interactive fiction. Either that or I read a lot of video games as a kid.

interactive fiction is a game, yeah. those books are games that you play with narrative.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Arguing about art is a game.

Arguing about games is an art.

• Options

oh Dan

you're so white and midwestern

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    my favorite part of that daredevil fight is how the kids just keep swinging in the background and don't even seem to be particularly interested in the fight

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014

the bigger "point" of the whole thing, unrelated to that jumbled rant of an article, is that whether or not something is a game is moot and does not affect the quality of the experience

like, look at PT, it's a demo and you barely actually interact with it other than moving and yet it is incredibly immersive and tense, same with gone home

the vast majority of people who are complaining about things like gone home and stanley parable not being games are grognards or people not comfortable with the notion of a medium changing or becoming inclusive

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    I am from the midwest and I would like the world to know that the opinions expressed by Dan Ryckert are not supported by the rest of the midwest.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Whereas one can know without any further investigation that what the boyfriend did was incredibly shitty, so why is that barely focused on aside from a cursory "yeah he shouldn't have done that" before moving on to the specifics of what she allegedly did.

it's... it's been covered pretty explicitly and there isn't any real debate on the fact

like, I'm fairly certain everyone possibly involves agreed "this thing he did was a result of frustration and also immature and awful"

There have been some posts in this very thread that border on sympathizing with him.

and?

I just don't think that expressing sympathy with this person, who in the context of this situation is essentially an emotional terrorist, is an especially valuable or constructive contribution to this discussion. That said sure, I agree that people can and should feel however they want to about the situation/person (in relation to their own past experiences or whatever). It just weirds me out. What are you trying to get across by posting that? idgi

I'm not trying to indirectly talk shit, either (and I apologize if it's coming across that way). I just...it bugged me.

He's a shitheel

Assuming he is being honest, he has my sympathy. It sounds awful to have your trust betrayed in that manner. I can't empathize as I've never (that I know of) been cheated on. I don't feel like what he did was reasonable, and I don't condone what he's done. Regardless of Zoe's actions he took a private matter and made it very public.

Blame between the people involved, not us. There's only one person to be mad at here as casual observers, and that's this shithead who made a private matter public. Public in a way that could be dangerous to people's careers and lives.

He quite literally put Zoe in physical danger by doing this.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    THREAD CATCH UP

Remember 30 pages ago when the topic of Worst scene in movie history came up?

It's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLntlRklNBU

The playground fight from Daredevil.

MCD was perfect as kingpin and fucking squandered on this shitpile of a movie

• Options

Link if you want to check it out

Yeah, it's very much interactive fiction, with specific choices available to you in each scene, rather than an open text adventure. If you correctly manage your depression, more options become available to you (at first some things are crossed out).

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    my favorite part of that daredevil fight is how the kids just keep swinging in the background and don't even seem to be particularly interested in the fight

My favourite bit of the scene is just before the fight. Affleck pulls the most amazing face at about 34 seconds.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Dan says and does a LOT of stuff I did when I was 14

He is older than 14

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    I am sticking with my theory Dan is not a real person.

He is a computer designed to pass the turing test that was made in the early 90s.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    I can't log in to gaia online because it's banned my account until I turn 13

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I can't get messages to work on my phone so fuck it

@unbreakablevow I'm super sorry dude that was shitty and I made assumptions and I suck and hope you can forgive me

It's cool

If you thought I was just having a blasé attitude about cheating then your response was totally justified

With my first post I was just trying to say, hey, none of us know Zoe Quinn personally, but seeing as she's someone that apparently suffered from depression enough to make an entire game based around the issue, I can understand if she's made some regrettable choices. It's not a magic erase button, it doesn't make that sort of thing immediately okay, but it at least adds context to it and I wouldn't be quick to judge her personally, mainly because who here knows any of the circumstances?

Did it happen? Does she regret it? What was going through her mind at the time?

It's not something I can ever really know, since she appears to be declining to speak on the matter, and if she declines to speak, then I don't deserve to know because it's not any of my business

• Options

and?

He's a shitheel

Blame between the people involved, not us. There's only one person to be mad at here as casual observers, and that's this shithead who made a private matter public. Public in a way that could be dangerous to people's careers and lives.

He quite literally put Zoe in physical danger by doing this.

You're right, that's poor wording on my part. Assuming she cheated it's reasonable for him to be pissed at her. Regardless, it's reasonable for her to be pissed that he made things public and dangerous.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

video games aren't art

nobody said frog fractions 2 would be a video game

Batman vs Superman is frog fractions 2.

It all makes sense now.

No I don't.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

oh Dan

I'm personally offended by this mr g

• Options
    he doesn't even list bnl

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

oh Dan

I'm from the Chicago suburbs and I've been here my whole life

you know I speak the truth

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    he doesn't even list bnl

oh they're bnl now that's how fundamental they are

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    video games as a medium have evolved to a point where "game" is a questionable descriptor

but it's a descriptor everyone is familiar with and complaining about something "not really being a game" is snot-nosed pedantry, at best

• Options
    edited August 2014
    he doesn't even list bnl

oh they're bnl now that's how fundamental they are

Hey now, no finishing your own setup.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

oh Dan

I'm from the Chicago suburbs and I've been here my whole life

you know I speak the truth

he just ruined it

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    it'd be like complaining that a modern movie isn't a film because it was shot digitally

• Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    @‌t4ct hugs, was definitely not aiming any derision at you homie

kQwcZLJ.png
This discussion has been closed.