As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Desperation [chat]

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Wait. Now the whole spool family are in chat? This thread has jumped the shark

not the younger two. :P not allowed.

You'll let them earlier than you let BCleric, that's the inevitability of being an older child.

:|

Don't even pretend like you don't recognize your younger siblings get things earlier than you did because your parents were super afraid of it for you and then realized that it's not bad and then are like whatev

I too am oldest, it is known

It is true that I was banned from reading Manga, watching Anime, and owning Barbies at different points in my verysmallness. Things which neither of my siblings have had to endure. *shakes fist*

In spool's defense, it saved you from ending up like me.

To clarify, that does not mean that I did not do all of those things. There is a picture of my 12yr old self, passed out surrounded by copies of Tokyo Mew-Mew, from two days after I was told not to read Tokyo Mew-Mew

Oh no

You're not safe from my fate, then
    40223_423162925755_1909206_n.jpg?oh=8cc6506f3890e337fa166940ef6a62eb&oe=547BDF85&__gda__=1415643828_af03869f1f24c7a7f8524d9f1488c26e

I love that picture. The story is great, too.
    She was at her best friend's house and her friend's mom took that picture and then sent it to me without knowing that we'd banned BC from reading that crap (long story, it wasn't a random ban).

do tell

She'd been reading A LOT of rubbish, some series about talking cats or something? Anyway! Being that her father was an English Lit. major and all we told her she had to read something that wasn't candy before she was allowed anymore candy. Being that she was our daughter she dug her heels in and glared at us then snuck off to get away with shit at someone else's' house.

#parenthood

I'd already read like, Great Expectations and Pride and Prejudice that year I was done

ACTUALLY, we were fighting with you over Great Expectations during that time, you were sort of reading it, in a spiteful hateful sort of "I hate my parents so SO much" kind of way.

That might be because it was the worst book ever.

OMG YOU ARE SO RIGHT FUCK CHARLES DICKENS FOREVER

ONLY MORE SHITTY AUTHOR TO READ IS NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE

Ayn Rand.

I'll read Dickens for the rest of my life if I never again have to spend a moment thinking about Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged.

Look

There are homeless dudes who write about how everyone is aliens, but they aren't "authors"

That's how I think of Rand.

As on the level of clinically insane, non functioning people desperately exorcising demons by putting pen to paper.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

You'll let them earlier than you let BCleric, that's the inevitability of being an older child.

Don't even pretend like you don't recognize your younger siblings get things earlier than you did because your parents were super afraid of it for you and then realized that it's not bad and then are like whatev

It is true that I was banned from reading Manga, watching Anime, and owning Barbies at different points in my verysmallness. Things which neither of my siblings have had to endure. *shakes fist*

To clarify, that does not mean that I did not do all of those things. There is a picture of my 12yr old self, passed out surrounded by copies of Tokyo Mew-Mew, from two days after I was told not to read Tokyo Mew-Mew

Oh no

40223_423162925755_1909206_n.jpg?oh=8cc6506f3890e337fa166940ef6a62eb&oe=547BDF85&__gda__=1415643828_af03869f1f24c7a7f8524d9f1488c26e

She was at her best friend's house and her friend's mom took that picture and then sent it to me without knowing that we'd banned BC from reading that crap (long story, it wasn't a random ban).

do tell

She'd been reading A LOT of rubbish, some series about talking cats or something? Anyway! Being that her father was an English Lit. major and all we told her she had to read something that wasn't candy before she was allowed anymore candy. Being that she was our daughter she dug her heels in and glared at us then snuck off to get away with shit at someone else's' house.

#parenthood

I had a thing with my parents and reading. They didn't understand, and I didn't like their rules. They didn't like it when I read at the table, they didn't like me bringing my books with me when we went to visit other people, and they especially didn't like it when I read at the table at other people's houses.

Fish sticks just aren't as interesting as swordfights, even when one's dad has built them into some kind of abstract ketchup-fishstick sculpture

omg, you remember that?!

...er, wait, he still does that, doesn't he....

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    FMA like Full Metal Alchemist? That show is not that old. I remember watching the original run in college. And also the ending burning me so badly I swore off anime forever.

Um I'm sorry

I have some tough news to break to you

What do you mean? I graduated college in OH NOOOOOOOOOO

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I am a big 'ending' person, like if the ending to a series stinks (it doesn't have to be happy but it has to be well done) then it ruins the rest of the show or book retroactively for me

The ending of Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy annoyed me enough that I don't recommend it to anyone even though it's quite good overall.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I am a big 'ending' person, like if the ending to a series stinks (it doesn't have to be happy but it has to be well done) then it ruins the rest of the show or book retroactively for me

oh boy let me tell you about how life ends

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Oh no

do tell

#parenthood

hahaha h5 BC right out of the ol' Tweenager playbook

You gotta read that garbage when you're young kiddo

you have to experience darkness to appreciate the light

In retrospect had I not ignored my parents I might never have become a Weaboo, and then would never have gotten to experience not being a weaboo with the same level of appreciation!

I was a weeaboo. I grew out of it too. But that doesn't mean I dislike all anime now, I just have some taste.

Gurl I used to watch the original series of FMA in subs. I convinced my parents to finally get cable in order to be able to torrent animes. I still remember being pissed when the Summer Olympics coverage pushed back the airing of one of the episodes back in Japan

I am so goddamn OLD

Psshh, weeaboo.

Call me when you've stood in line at an anime convention to get Watase Yuu to sign your Fushigi Yuugi manga signed while you explained that you named your two cats Tamahome and Miaka. Like a REAL anime fangirl. (I'm fairly certain my wife did this very thing)

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    massive server failure this morning

complex legal document to do

hungover

ex in office

if the dark souls 2 DLC didn't come out tonight I'd set myself on fire right now

new dark souls 2 DLC tonight?!

but I still have to finish one of the boss fights :(

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    families in chat is weird

can i talk about weird shit in front of a father, a mother, and their daughter

that's weird man!

like idk

CAN I TALK ABOUT DRUGS AND ALCOHOL AND WANKING AND POOPING!?

If she can handle the bukkake talk a few pages ago she can handle whatever you have to offer up

bring it Shaz

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

Oh no

do tell

#parenthood

I'd already read like, Great Expectations and Pride and Prejudice that year I was done

ACTUALLY, we were fighting with you over Great Expectations during that time, you were sort of reading it, in a spiteful hateful sort of "I hate my parents so SO much" kind of way.

...i liked the Scarlet Letter

DATS BECAUSE IT'S ESSENTIALLY YOUR LIFE STORY

M I RITE?

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I liked Oliver Twist.
    So Dickens can't be totally the worst.

I love Oliver Twist and A Tale of Two Cities, and A Christmas Carol (though tbf there weren't enough Muppets for it to be perfect)

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

that's weird man!

like idk

Incredibly I'm doing all 4 right now

(None of this is true, that would be

the most disgusting thing I'd ever done

And I've done some disgusting things)

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    The 32s tryin to keep the anime man down

Good

I support the ostracizing and segregation of the animes

We already won. Just so you know. We. Already. Won.

Over my dead body you big eyed small mouthed filth!

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    So dorks, I mentioned this earlier

There is a 99% chance that tomorrow I am going to go in to the hospital for a bit of a stay

(There is a ~1% chance they manage to convince me that a stay is not necessary, but that is extremely unlikely b/c various reasons)

So yeah I'm very turned-inward today, very thoughtful

Anyway I just wanted to tell you guys that you are awesome and never fail to make my day a little brighter <3

at the risk of being offensive:
    We'll keep you in our prayers, please let us know how you're doing. *hugs*

:) I could never be offended by someone sending positive vibes my way!
    I try to be sensitive to the folks who travel these parts who think that anyone who takes part in an organized religion might be hitler, or maybe even 10 hitlers.
    Eh as someone down on organized religion, it's still a nice sentiment. I know someone that complains about people telling him 'bless you' when he sneezes. You should not be worried about offending such a person. :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    blameless cleric, read henry miller, anais nin, the marquis de sade, george bataille's the story of the eye, sacher von masoch's venus in furs, allen ginsberg's howl and write a book report about what you learned

are you gonna make her read Howl aloud with each line a single breath?

That actually takes some work.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

The ending of Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy annoyed me enough that I don't recommend it to anyone even though it's quite good overall.

That was the best part, and the point of the whole thing.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Just called a client to help their VP access webmail on his new Surface. I was speaking to him for less than 5 minutes before he got frustrated at having to type a URL into a web browser, said that he'd have someone drop the device at our office because he can't mess with this, and hung up on me.

Nice.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    And fucking A Christmas Carol.

Dude. If you don't like capitalism, then just say so.

There is no reason to bring ghosts into this discussion.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Kitten, why you in firehouse cat.

Kitty stahp.

2XdIVFc.jpg

Why you no work img?

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

that's weird man!

like idk

If she can handle the bukkake talk a few pages ago she can handle whatever you have to offer up

bring it Shaz

of course SHE can handle it

i joined the forums when i was 16 just like a lot of people here

but my parents weren't on the forums too!

poo
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    fuck you, mobile

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    oh j that poetry stuff yesterday

i think you are right to pay attention to the structure as a place to find a handle on the text

it's more about the chorus of voices, the way things shift as they are rearranged, no singular voice, etc

if you want more theoretical underpinning, they are coming at language, particularly institutionalized uses of it and the dominant and accepted modes of expression, from people like gertrude stein and french theory stuff (like deconstructionism) and rejecting closure, striving for polysemy and the like

• Options

That's was ultimately turned me off to most anime, the lack of a satisfying resolution for pretty much 95% of all series

Now I watch if it makes it onto Netflix/Hulu and I have independent confirmation that the ending is worth my time

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

Oh no

do tell

#parenthood

I had a thing with my parents and reading. They didn't understand, and I didn't like their rules. They didn't like it when I read at the table, they didn't like me bringing my books with me when we went to visit other people, and they especially didn't like it when I read at the table at other people's houses.

Fish sticks just aren't as interesting as swordfights, even when one's dad has built them into some kind of abstract ketchup-fishstick sculpture

omg, you remember that?!

...er, wait, he still does that, doesn't he....

Ketchup stone-henge

Blood-altar

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    In con news, GaymerX coming back with a rebrand, as GX: Everyone Games.

Feral‌ MrMister‌

On the one hand, the title is more inclusive. On the other hand, I liked that "gay" was being used so prominently in a positive connotation in association with gaming.

On a third hand, I thought the term "Gaymer" was horrible.

You know, I'd been thinking of it in a kind of silly ironic way, but maybe there are people who take the term seriously?

There are! There are forums full of these people. They identify as "gaymers".

my friend's boyfriend self identifies as a "gaymer". It is his biggest character flaw.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Whenever I'm feeling just a little too happy or cheerful, I can always count on good old Charles Dickens to drag me back down into depression and despair where I belong.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular

Yeuuuuup

Though that ending was particularly terrible in that more or less invalidated the entire story, so it is hard to ignore in that way

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

I've got a good friend the same way. Dude will straight up love something. Praise its name for 20 episodes. Then they blow the ending and from then on he'll tell you it was the worst show.

• Options

Oh no

do tell

#parenthood

...i liked the Scarlet Letter

DATS BECAUSE IT'S ESSENTIALLY YOUR LIFE STORY

M I RITE?

I AM A SHAMEFUL WHORE! *despairs*

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    blameless cleric, read henry miller, anais nin, the marquis de sade, george bataille's the story of the eye, sacher von masoch's venus in furs, allen ginsberg's howl and write a book report about what you learned

i would actually recommend you read all poetry aloud

there's something about feeling language move through your body like that that is invigorating

and then read it to yourself

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Oh no

do tell

#parenthood

In retrospect had I not ignored my parents I might never have become a Weaboo, and then would never have gotten to experience not being a weaboo with the same level of appreciation!

Better you got it out of your system young.

It's a lot easier to dismiss embarrassing things that happened when you were 12-13 than when you were mid-20's.

Exhibit 1: nonsensical chinese username from 12 years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

That was the best part, and the point of the whole thing.

ehhhh
    everything sucks and nobody gets anything they want and all the people disperse and the world is still shit lol the whole quest was basically bs power struggles everyone be miserable end of book

no thaaaaaaanks.

• Options

that's weird man!

like idk

bring it Shaz

of course SHE can handle it

i joined the forums when i was 16 just like a lot of people here

but my parents weren't on the forums too!

Seriously!

You offer the kid a beer

But if the parents are there too, just looking at you, it's weird

Even if they're cool with it

It's weird

Because parents aren't supposed to understand

So like

Turn your backs or something

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    And fucking A Christmas Carol.

Dude. If you don't like capitalism, then just say so.

There is no reason to bring ghosts into this discussion.

Stories are often more effective means of convincing people of ideas than explicit discussion

Especially since they're more likely to actually read it

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Alright, caught up with Womp!.
    FMA like Full Metal Alchemist? That show is not that old. I remember watching the original run in college. And also the ending burning me so badly I swore off anime forever.

They redid the whole series because of that ending
    hrm
    ?

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

That's was ultimately turned me off to most anime, the lack of a satisfying resolution for pretty much 95% of all series

Go watch Cowboy Bebop.

Now.

I will wait.

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »

Oh no

do tell

#parenthood

I was a weeaboo. I grew out of it too. But that doesn't mean I dislike all anime now, I just have some taste.

Gurl I used to watch the original series of FMA in subs. I convinced my parents to finally get cable in order to be able to torrent animes. I still remember being pissed when the Summer Olympics coverage pushed back the airing of one of the episodes back in Japan

I am so goddamn OLD

Psshh, weeaboo.

Call me when you've stood in line at an anime convention to get Watase Yuu to sign your Fushigi Yuugi manga signed while you explained that you named your two cats Tamahome and Miaka. Like a REAL anime fangirl. (I'm fairly certain my wife did this very thing)

one of the greatest regrets and resentments of my young teenage life was that I never got to go to an anime convention but my sister got to go to Otakon

I was so jelly

• Options

i would actually recommend you read all poetry aloud

there's something about feeling language move through your body like that that is invigorating

and then read it to yourself

I whisper poetry

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    So dorks, I mentioned this earlier

There is a 99% chance that tomorrow I am going to go in to the hospital for a bit of a stay

(There is a ~1% chance they manage to convince me that a stay is not necessary, but that is extremely unlikely b/c various reasons)

So yeah I'm very turned-inward today, very thoughtful

Anyway I just wanted to tell you guys that you are awesome and never fail to make my day a little brighter <3

at the risk of being offensive:
    We'll keep you in our prayers, please let us know how you're doing. *hugs*

:) I could never be offended by someone sending positive vibes my way!
    I try to be sensitive to the folks who travel these parts who think that anyone who takes part in an organized religion might be hitler, or maybe even 10 hitlers.
    Eh as someone down on organized religion, it's still a nice sentiment. I know someone that complains about people telling him 'bless you' when he sneezes. You should not be worried about offending such a person. :D

:smiley:

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

Oh no

do tell

#parenthood

See until I know you more personally, this is a great service you already provide here in [chat]: Providing yet another view of spool.

Whom I come to respect more and more as I learn about him!

... It's awful. It was better when he was a southern caricature.

Tell me about how he drives off in his muddin' truck and shoots at hubcaps he previously hung out in the woods

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Just called a client to help their VP access webmail on his new Surface. I was speaking to him for less than 5 minutes before he got frustrated at having to type a URL into a web browser, said that he'd have someone drop the device at our office because he can't mess with this, and hung up on me.

Nice.

To be fair, the surface does this dumb thing with chrome where if you try to use the virtual keyboard to type in the URL bar it disappears for no reason every time you do it. I still haven't figured out why.

This discussion has been closed.