Options

Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's [chat]

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What's the movie where a guy is talking tough before he flicks a lit cigarette into another guy's eye before he starts beating him? I think Johnny Depp was in it.

EDIT: And the other guy was holding a gun or a weapon on the first guy.

Deadman

Dead Man?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112817/?ref_=nv_sr_3

I don't think I ever saw this one.

in Trainspotting one character is making fun of another, and the crazy dude is pissed, flicks a cig at ewan mcgregor, and then chockes him up against a wall with a knife against his junk

That movie is so good.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    What's the movie where a guy is talking tough before he flicks a lit cigarette into another guy's eye before he starts beating him? I think Johnny Depp was in it.

Deadman

Dead Man?

in Trainspotting one character is making fun of another, and the crazy dude is pissed, flicks a cig at ewan mcgregor, and then chockes him up against a wall with a knife against his junk

That movie is so good.

It is known.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I've gotten up to like episode 10 of nozaki-kun

That show is amazing in like a half dozen ways

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I definitely feel like Meta Knight would be another entity to have a crush on Kirby.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Oh. It was Usual Suspects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Dl-5IWKoU

I haven't watched that movie in years.

I was going to say this, but no one gets beat up in that scene, so I figured you meant something else. :(

The ol' noodle played a trick on me.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Matt Smith is going to be in the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie, I'm fucking furious.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Deadman

Dead Man?

Oop. I was making a dumb joke.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Dead Man, The Usual Suspects, and Trainspotting are all pretty great movies in which a cigarette is flicked

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I told you bro

I told you about Nozaki-kun

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Matt Smith is going to be in the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie, I'm fucking furious.

Are they really turning that into a movie?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The guy who plays Redfoot (the cigarette flicker) is the same guy who plays Zed in Pulp Fiction.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    Dead Man, The Usual Suspects, and Trainspotting are all pretty great movies in which a cigarette is flicked

Also Payback

• Options
    Payback has such a great cast of character actors. Like that one black cop who always looks like someone just shot his dog.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Super Smash Brothers?

Why not Super Smash Sisters?

#endthepatriarchy

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Super Smash Brothers?

Why not Super Smash Sisters?

#endthepatriarchy

The game has female characters.

That you can hit?!

#endthepatriarchy

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @pony I dropped back into the sexism tropes thread and I just have to sidebar here for a sec and ask you and everyone else:

do you folks think that muscles are mostly for appearance and that being weak or strong doesn't really impact most people in their daily lives?

For me, that is an amazing statement. I feel like it suggests a lack of experience with doing manual labor or even strenuous housework. But others might feel differently?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    @pony I dropped back into the sexism tropes thread and I just have to sidebar here for a sec and ask you and everyone else:

do you folks think that muscles are mostly for appearance and that being weak or strong doesn't really impact most people in their daily lives?

For me, that is an amazing statement. I feel like it suggests a lack of experience with doing manual labor or even strenuous housework. But others might feel differently?

good lord that statement was amazing

it was the kind of statement that I felt only a pudgy nerd who never did shit with his life could make

like he had looked at everyone else who had done shit and had muscles and was like "well I mean those are mostly for show and I don't really need to be strong"

and then he cracks open another Mountain Dew Code Red and goes back to clicking LoL

vacant stare in the eyes, light of the monitor reflecting in the glasses

dubstep pounding in the headset

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

I told you bro

I told you about Nozaki-kun

srsly simon

you could write an entire book on all the gender commentary going on in a couple episode's worth of Nozaki-kun

I mean from a certain angle it's a patriarchal white japanese dude taking all of his friends' very varied personalities and atypical relationships and converting them into strictly gender normative, censor-friendly shoujo manga. Then he pats himself on the back for knowing so much about relationships because he knows all about shoujo manga.

nozaki-kun is da patriarchy man

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    My body is purely for aesthetics

apart from walking perhaps two miles a day there's really no useful purpose for it in my lifestyle

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Payback has such a great cast of character actors. Like that one black cop who always looks like someone just shot his dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKHoMi-U8g4

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    It depends on what you mean. Getting "cut" and being all veiny? I'd say that's mostly for appearance. Mite not going to make a huge difference to most people in their daily life.

If you are weaker than the average person it can have an impact on your ability to perform basic tasks.

But even a person who doesn't look all that muscular can be deceptively strong. My stepdad is one of these folks. He has to buy clothes in the youth section but can carry 50lb bags of dog food to the shop, no problem.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Eddy wrote: »
    My body is purely for aesthetics

apart from walking perhaps two miles a day there's really no useful purpose for it in my lifestyle

do you mean you don't exercise or that if you do/did it wouldn't be because you 'need' to be strong

edit - if this is a joke related to the thread I will not get it

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    when did they redesign thinkgeek? I guess I haven't been on here in years.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    pony I dropped back into the sexism tropes thread and I just have to sidebar here for a sec and ask you and everyone else:

Muscles qua muscles are nice to have for a variety of non-aesthetic reasons.

But most people with amazing bodies have them for the aesthetic qualities almost exclusively. If you're just out working construction you ain't gonna look like captain america, you have to go into a gym and create that.

People that do manual labor are generally not what most people end up thinking of when we go, "people with muscles."

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Wait a second has Hail Hydra (both flavours) been retired?

Honestly, I sleep for eight hours and suddenly everything has changed......

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

My workouts are pretty much entirely built around "what can I do for someone with these muscles."

:wink: :

In related news, I finally figured out what medicine balls are for. :open_mouth:

Incenjucar on
  • Options

Blue Collar / White Collar statistics
    White collar workers are those who self-identify as professionals or managers. Blue collar workers are those who self-identify as assistants and clerical workers, technicians and repair workers, artists and entertainers, service workers, laborers, salespersons, operators, skilled trade workers, assemblers, or former military.

Kind of sloppy definitions, but it doesn't seem odd to say that 'most' people's jobs involve manual labor. Whether that is manual labor that relies upon muscles and physical strength or, say, sales isn't information we can gain from these statistics.

There are some people who pursue a muscular build for aesthetic reasons, and some people who require a muscular build for their jobs.

Verifying the "most" claim would be difficult.

• Options
    pony I dropped back into the sexism tropes thread and I just have to sidebar here for a sec and ask you and everyone else:

But most people with amazing bodies have them for the aesthetic qualities almost exclusively. If you're just out working construction you ain't gonna look like captain america, you have to go into a gym and create that.

People that do manual labor are generally not what most people end up thinking of when we go, "people with muscles."

Yeah, having a Ripped Physique isn't the same as Being Strong. Maybe people in the sexism thread are just being lazy in their definitions?

Being strong is super useful in daily life, for most people.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    My power went out for a little bit. I had to read by candlelight. It was the hardest thing anyone has ever had to do.

• Options
    I don't exercise (I expect to re-start after I graduate in two years), but when I did it was for purely aesthetic reasons

• Options
    Maybe people in the sexism thread are just being lazy in their definitions?

For fear of being punished for clarifying their definitions.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

eh, seems a step up from that british sci fi show he did at least

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh i bought the shadowrun returns on steam

is this version better

• Options
    edited September 2014

If we're talking globally, then definitely. but in a service and retail-based economy, I don't see the obvious benefits unless you value physical capability over leisure, and that of course is a personal determination

Eddy on
  • Options
    Being reasonably built would be extremely practical in a wide variety of scenarios that involve being independent and capable of carrying your own weight.

Competency generates confidence, which is considered sexy, and ones ability to protect themselves would be improved by getting in better shape. So that's increased safety, self-confidence, self-discipline, physical health, and a sex appeal that extends from the inside out...

But on the other hand if you lift just one heavy weight too many your arms will rapidly expand and you'll never land yourself a beau, so...

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I exercise so that others don't have to.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Eddy wrote: »
    I don't exercise (I expect to re-start after I graduate in two years), but when I did it was for purely aesthetic reasons

It feels good to be strong enough to lift a heavy thing when the need arises. There was a time not long ago where I couldn't hang a houseplant from a roof beam without getting tired from reaching over my head and turning a screw into a piece of wood. Hanging mini-blinds would wipe me out.

Being weak hinders your ability to do some basic shit. You can't make a roux if you're too weak to stir for 10 minutes.

spool32 on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    This fucking trailer, my god if the whole game has that sense of scale. Goddamnit Square

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT3dyanB3pk

• Options

Yeah, having a Ripped Physique isn't the same as Being Strong. Maybe people in the sexism thread are just being lazy in their definitions?

I strongly doubt this?

Besides pretty much by definition white collar work, even most blue collar work doesn't actually require you to be strong. Hardly anything in the service industry, either. And even lots of jobs where you work with your hand are not actually that physically taxing.

I mean there's a reason why there's so many obese people in the western world, because we don't burn many calories anymore (and we eat a lot). If we had so many people needing muscles, we'd see more people with muscles.

At least as long as we're defining usefulness as like an active benefit, as opposed to simply a general health benefit.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Half way through Cowboy Bebop now.

Not sure how I feel about alot of parts of this show. It frequently feels sloppy or underdeveloped.

But holy fuck, this sound track. It is literally fucking my ear canal to orgasmic bliss.

This discussion has been closed.