Options

Fresh (1994) starring Samuel L. [chat]

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    im so fat, im looking forward to dinner on Sunday. Using Chu Math, I will probably eat 8000 calories

Chu math, also known as honesty, is a great way to cry yourself to sleep every night.

The only way a chicken thigh is 500 calories is if it's deep fried in a vat a buffalo sauce and then dipped in TripleHoney Mustard

An average chicken thigh weighs about 6-8 oz at about 65 calories per ounce. It's entirely within reason without deadly sauces.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Indian buffet in the cafeteria?
    Yes pls
    DANGER.

I talk about giving up and stress and anxiety with my mentor here... She says i can quit if I'm unhappy... I fear I may have an exit door with that... This will make not giving up a bit hard...

PULL YOUR FUCKING SOCKS UP

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    hakkes, how was philly run?

it was really hard (for me!). Course is easy for trail runners apparently but I am a poor road runner to begin with so this trail may as well have been a hike up the freaking Rocky Mountains

It was a good trip overall, until @BEAST! got home and saw that the cat sitter hadn't shown up at all.

At all. The cats had nothing to eat for 2 whole days. And especially since one of them almost died a few years ago and is on this special wet food diet to make sure it doesn't happen again, this could be p bad :(

We're going to Arizona at the end of the month and are not sure what to do

Jesus christ

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    your SSN is not secret, it is only an identifier

let's repeat again in case any web developers are reading

It is as secret as name + address.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    After uninstalling DOTA 2 on my lappy I decided to reinstall it.

I have no idea why.

You serve the Newell.
    syndalis wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    @syndalis sidebar!

We just haven't built a system that operates with a concept of security as fundamental to its structure. All the security we have is bolted-on and vulnerable, almost as an axiomatic principle. You know this stuff!

We built a system that would treat interference as outage and route around it, one that prioritized getting the data from a to b over making sure that nobody in between was listening to it.

The thing is, you absolutely can create private keys that protect the data during it's journey across the internet.

And you can tie those private keys nowadays to factors that are expressly individualistic (such as apples Touch ID or retinal scanning or any number of biometric solutions). You may only have the image and the number on your phone, but the payload will be in a database somewhere that only your keys can unlock your part of.

There is already a database that has your driving record and license in it. The police use that database all the time. The fact that I need to carry around a piece of paper that says what is already in an online system is dumb and backwards to me.

It may take another decade, but watch California and New York at a minimum float a digital identity wallet program.

I can't believe you don't see the potential for mayhem in the system you're describing. Identity theft is bad enough already! What you're proposing will make it worse, raise the stakes, and apply it to our government instead of just individuals within it.

Which is why I am adding years to the solution getting tested instead of saying "I want this yesterday"

I just want you to take the hindsight lens and apply it to:

-paying a bill
    -checking your bank balance
    -buying socks
    -ordering delivery food
    -making a phone call to tell your wife/parents/whomever that you will be out later

And ask yourself if the process of how you did these things 20-25 years ago in any way lines up with how you do them now.

So why does that paper/plastic card in your wallet remain sacrosanct? We are going to figure out how to virtualize them in a secure fashion because it is the right thing to do and is the direction everything is moving in.

I'd say in 20-25 years the idea of a physical credit card or a physical ID card will seem old-timey to the next generation.

sadly, paying bills is not much different beyond the option to do it digitally for more money than sending in a check. We have options but they all suck.

checking my bank balance is harder now than calling the bank, but I can do it at night so that's positive at least. identity theft is a thing now, though, so I'm not sure we've come out ahead in all cases.

buying socks used to suck then it was great but now I gotta pay sales tax again fuck this governmental earth

ordering delivery food identical to the past 20 years, calling and ordering online are exactly the same in terms of time and security

phone calls amazing now yes this is objectively better

I guess what I'm saying is that we've created new problems to go along with our new systems, and the trend has constantly been trading convenience for security, ease of use for exposure, connectedness for vulnerability. In 25 years we will probably have discarded plastic IDs yes, but unless we remake both our data systems and our government's idea of privacy rights, things will be more convenient and also more insecure and dangerous, just as they have been since we started making an internet.

I ask this seriously:

Are you the kind of person who feels safer giving a stranger your social security number over the telephone to validate you are who you are instead of typing it into an SSL encrypted website with extended validation from the CA?

hell no!

I'm the kind of person who tells people that online transactions are safer than giving some 6th year university student your AMEX Black card when the bill comes, and having him disappear with it for 15 minutes.

However, we still need to acknowledge that using the card online means that millions of enterprising Latvian hackers are trying day and night to steal my shit however they can manage it. And they are frequently successful!

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    identity theft case occurrence has been cut down by significant fractions on a yearly basis since the early 2000s

data breaches are increasing but those are often not associated with loss of bank credentials; they're often health records or unrelated logins that may contain email information

• Options
    we can pop in and feed if needed. I'm not changing litter or walking them though

• Options
    I would pay to see Deebaser walking a cat.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

let's repeat again in case any web developers are reading

It is as secret as name + address.

It's still one of the things you need to know if you are going to get a bank loan out under someone elses name, or apply for a credit card.

Name, Current Address, DOB, SSN is usually all you need.

We do not have a "secret" when it comes to this stuff in our society, which is why I feel like some kind of digital authentication has to be the way forward.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spoiler: I do not have an AMEX black card, or even know if they come in black or whether that is a thing. It sounded cool as fk tho.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

it was really hard (for me!). Course is easy for trail runners apparently but I am a poor road runner to begin with so this trail may as well have been a hike up the freaking Rocky Mountains

It was a good trip overall, until @BEAST! got home and saw that the cat sitter hadn't shown up at all.

At all. The cats had nothing to eat for 2 whole days. And especially since one of them almost died a few years ago and is on this special wet food diet to make sure it doesn't happen again, this could be p bad :(

what an asshole

(the cat sitter, not beast!)

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    has anyone run a mst3k show on anime yet where everyone in the crew kind of hates whatever they're watching

I'd watch it

Same here. Hell, that would make for a pretty cool youtube series if someone got on that.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    we can pop in and feed if needed. I'm not changing litter or walking them though

Thanks...i think we just need backup in case it happens again. The guy just forgot to come by, anyone can make that mistake even if they have 1000 5-star yelp reviews but it would be comforting to have a backup while we're away in case of this sort of emergency

Also uh...they are cats. Cats do not need walking!

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

Funny-dubstep-walking-cat.jpg

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2014
    spoiler: I do not have an AMEX black card, or even know if they come in black or whether that is a thing. It sounded cool as fk tho.

yeah, there is a black / centurion card.

You can spend p much anything on it.

Some guy bought an ancient Chinese porcelain egg for 36 million on a single swipe of their card.

It's p fucked.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

They are actual things

They're made of metal and several times heavier than a normal credit card

SOURCE: my boss' replacement card came in a leather box not unlike a latched jewelry container

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »

what an asshole

(the cat sitter, not beast!)

To be perfectly frank, i feel like it was an honest mistake and he was extremely upset and contrite about it (I made Beast make him come by to return the keys and he was apparently all concern)

Still...it's hard to trust again

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    omg it is Deebaser

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The people who made Breaking Bad should have had the GPS coordinates lead to the middle of nowhere in the desert. Maybe first helicopter out a box with a note inside it telling them that they have won a coupon for 25 percent off of the season 1 DVDs.

• Options

They send me invitations for the centurion card from time to time because work spending makes me look like some kind of billionaire on paper. It costs $7500 to sign up at $2500 per year after that. I lol'd heartily.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I used a basic mfp entry- raw weight, bone in, skin on. Each thigh in the pack was about half a lb. 497 calories per 227 grams.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

Funny-dubstep-walking-cat.jpg

this is exactly what deebaser looks like fyi hth

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    My mom has one of those fucking cards.

She sees it as a status thing.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    @Hakkekage‌

I am a poor man

I will give you so much money, of which you can give a portion to @Deebaser‌ , with the stipulation that he walk those cats

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

They are actual things

SOURCE: my boss' replacement card came in a leather box not unlike a latched jewelry container

we got a mailing "pre-approved" thing for the AMEX black but IIRC you have to spend a minimum of like, $10k a year on it? something silly like that.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    I like my kitties to be high contrast.

lr0r6ecec5vp.jpg

catsthatlooklikehitler.com

Bond villain in this case.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »

In the right circles it is a status thing, for sure.

If you are trying to impress clients at a business dinner, pulling out a black amex is a power move to the right people.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    @Hakkekage‌

I am a poor man

I will give you so much money, of which you can give a portion to @Deebaser‌ , with the stipulation that he walk those cats

We have to buy a leash and harness first and try it ourselves

we've been wanting to for years...this may be our opportunity. They will not enjoy it

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

It is totally a status thing. Just like Rolexes and Bentleys and whatever else rich people do.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wanna try and do a cover of Say It Ain't So by Weezer cause it's rad and I can play it. Imported my MIDI tab of it into Cubase to make the backing track, and it defaulted to 120bpm where it sounds so funky

Oh brilliant
  • Options

If you are trying to impress clients at a business dinner, pulling out a black amex is a power move to the right people.

Weird, trashy people I can only imagine.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

yeah, there is a black / centurion card.

You can spend p much anything on it.

Some guy bought an ancient Chinese porcelain egg for 36 million on a single swipe of their card.

It's p fucked.

You sure it wasn't

GothCard.jpg

• Options

It is totally a status thing. Just like Rolexes and Bentleys and whatever else rich people do.

Yeah, if you are also the kind of casually fucking rich who walks into chanel and walks out with two full bags of stuff, you probably need one because most normal bank / credit cards will trip all the alarms and go on lockdown when you pull shut like that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

I just use my wiener for this

But we maybe run in different circles, the AMEX Black holder and I

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So, next version of Windows is going to be Windows 10.

Why? Who knows! Maybe 9 is someone's unlucky number at Microsoft.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

at least with a bentley you're like

my car is fucking fast and has seats made of kangaroo

with a fancy credit card it's like

yeah my shit is heavier than yours and also costs me thousands of dollars

I guess

• Options

Weird, trashy people I can only imagine.

NYSE execs and lawyers when I witnessed it.

So yeah, p much accurate.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    at what point do you ask for a promotion/more money. the role is kind of being created/shifted around for me

just spent an hour with my boss and i'm taking on a lot more responsibility. in fact, something that he did at the sr director level

but i also am going to talk to the head of marketing about being a copywriter

decisions!

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

No she doesn't do any of that.

The family is obscenely rich however.

We all have our things we spend more money on than we should but my mom is the one who spends the most and acts the most entitled.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

They are actual things

we got a mailing "pre-approved" thing for the AMEX black but IIRC you have to spend a minimum of like, $10k a year on it? something silly like that.

It would not be hard for me to spend 10k if I just used it for everything like food and rent and junk, and immediately pay it off...I don't understand credit cards or why people have them.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.