Options

Fresh (1994) starring Samuel L. [chat]

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    i will feed cats. I will make sure cats are uninijured and at a glance healthy/happy.
    i will not walk.
    i will not change litter.
    I will not show any outward affection.

These are my terms. Maybe contact Raz. She might offer some sort of holistic hippy feline pamper package.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Hi all! Here, have a peek into the Life and Times of a Fucked Up Family! *que dramatic music*

My Mom's little sister, my-barely-44yr old aunt, was killed in a car accident a couple of months ago. The autopsy results are back, she weight about 110 lbs and her blood alcohol level was .26. Rather than mourning my maternal grandfather has taken this tragic opportunity to prove what a dick he is. I won't go into ALL of the details, but here are some of the highlights:

*Granddad doesn't inform his exwife, my aunt's mother, of their daughter's death
    *Granddad illegally, and against the will of his two living daughters, signs custody of my aunt's remains over to her live-in boyfriend
    *Grandad advises the live-in boyfriend that he'd stand to inherit (there is A LOT to inherit) if he were the common law husband
    *Granddad gets the boyfriend an attorney, even though the boyfriend is wealthy of his own accord
    *Boyfriend runs and puts an obit in a local paper stating my aunt was married to him, but he misspells her name and gets her date of birth wrong
    *Boyfriend & Granddad send my mom and her remaining sister off to see what's left of the car as a distraction while they sneak off and have my aunt cremated in secret
    *We get the autopsy results and discover they were at Boyfriend's bar and he was serving her, and chose not to take her keys
    *Aunt's mother finds out her daughter is dead, and hires an attorney
    *Aunt's mother turns out to be a PI, looks into Boyfriend and finds out he's actually probably married to someone else - there's a record of the marriage, no record of a divorce or annulment, and or the woman's death
    *Mom and remaining aunt hire an attorney to try and become the executors of their sister's estate
    *Remaining aunt reads the death certificate for the first time, seeing that it's marked that her sister had never been married and is signed by Boyfriend
    *Granddad reassures Boyfriend that he's in his corner and will help him - read that as: spend the trust money that's the only hope of keeping the family ranch in the family

My mom and my aunt filed yesterday morning, Boyfriend, who is refusing to give up any of my aunt's belongings, got tipped off by my grandfather and also filed on Monday morning.

And so the world turns, in Central Texas.

I don't think I like your Grandfather very much.

he's the sort of old bastard I'd poke a hole in his colostomy bag

It's fun to have a multimillionaire as a grandfather who won't help us financially...really fucking fun (he's an asshole)

I do love my grandfather, but omg, over the last few years the very very worst of his personality traits have taken over. He's 90 now, and watching him help this jerk and screw over my mom and aunt is stomach churning.

want me to shark him?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    *Granddad doesn't inform his exwife, my aunt's mother, of their daughter's death

Well if those two crazy kids couldn't make it....

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    not the onion
    The pan-seared breast of Chicken Marsala served by the Baltimore Convention Center’s exclusive caterer was the food item most commonly consumed by the 216 attendees sickened by the lunch served last April 9 at the Food Safety Summit’s annual conference.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Hi all! Here, have a peek into the Life and Times of a Fucked Up Family! *que dramatic music*

My Mom's little sister, my-barely-44yr old aunt, was killed in a car accident a couple of months ago. The autopsy results are back, she weight about 110 lbs and her blood alcohol level was .26. Rather than mourning my maternal grandfather has taken this tragic opportunity to prove what a dick he is. I won't go into ALL of the details, but here are some of the highlights:

*Granddad illegally, and against the will of his two living daughters, signs custody of my aunt's remains over to her live-in boyfriend
    *Grandad advises the live-in boyfriend that he'd stand to inherit (there is A LOT to inherit) if he were the common law husband
    *Granddad gets the boyfriend an attorney, even though the boyfriend is wealthy of his own accord
    *Boyfriend runs and puts an obit in a local paper stating my aunt was married to him, but he misspells her name and gets her date of birth wrong
    *Boyfriend & Granddad send my mom and her remaining sister off to see what's left of the car as a distraction while they sneak off and have my aunt cremated in secret
    *We get the autopsy results and discover they were at Boyfriend's bar and he was serving her, and chose not to take her keys
    *Aunt's mother turns out to be a PI, looks into Boyfriend and finds out he's actually probably married to someone else - there's a record of the marriage, no record of a divorce or annulment, and or the woman's death
    *Mom and remaining aunt hire an attorney to try and become the executors of their sister's estate
    *Remaining aunt reads the death certificate for the first time, seeing that it's marked that her sister had never been married and is signed by Boyfriend
    *Granddad reassures Boyfriend that he's in his corner and will help him - read that as: spend the trust money that's the only hope of keeping the family ranch in the family

My mom and my aunt filed yesterday morning, Boyfriend, who is refusing to give up any of my aunt's belongings, got tipped off by my grandfather and also filed on Monday morning.

It's fun to have a multimillionaire as a grandfather who won't help us financially...really fucking fun (he's an asshole)

I do love my grandfather, but omg, over the last few years the very very worst of his personality traits have taken over. He's 90 now, and watching him help this jerk and screw over my mom and aunt is stomach churning.

want me to shark him?

can you build a bridge over his house that will collapse at a predetermined moment?

• Options
    can you not just leave a couple days of food out for cats?

I know you can't for most dogs because they will literally eat until they die but I figured cats were better about that.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I should don boots and coat.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    "Windows 8 is only being offered to employees by about one in five organisations right now. Windows 7 is still the de facto standard for enterprise in the desktop environment.

"For Microsoft to continue to be able to get the best and latest technology in the hands of the enterprise workforce all over the world, it has to have a vehicle to do that - and Windows 9 is its best shot."

so why'd you skip it and go to 10 instead?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    As a display of status, I sit on the inside on the bus or subway, and leave the window seat empty / put my bag there

My status is: Is a Gigantic Ass

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    My mom has one of those fucking cards.

She sees it as a status thing.

It is totally a status thing. Just like Rolexes and Bentleys and whatever else rich people do.

Yeah, if you are also the kind of casually fucking rich who walks into chanel and walks out with two full bags of stuff, you probably need one because most normal bank / credit cards will trip all the alarms and go on lockdown when you pull shut like that.

Any of the Amex cards should be fine. None of them have set spending limits and at most you'll get a little call like: "hey so, what's the deal with this $50k purchase?"

I have a gold card for work because I gotta throw 15-20k on there at random to buy airfare, hotel accommodations, and equipment from time to time. I don't even get the calls anymore. (Also I am swimming in the goddamned points oh yes). I think the only difference between Amex's various cards is the perks like $200 for a hotel if a flight you paid for using the card gets cancelled, or the ability to straight up refund a purchase every once in a while if you don't like the thing.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I used to get really annoyed about people blowing large wads of cash on luxury goods where you are mostly just paying for the brand recognition (ie. "I want everyone else to know I have money").

But it's not really like that money is going to waste so much as it's just being transferred to people savvy enough to con certain well-to-do out of their excess cash. So I guess my feelings are more of a resounding "meh" these days.

For better or worse, there is social status attached to certain things.

Buying those things is done to purchase that status.

It's not like people are getting conned, they are buying something. They are just buying something that is sadly transitory.

But hell, I pay extra money not to be inconvenienced by things, I'm not sure that I'm so different. I just don't have the disposable income to impress people with my spending.

Well, yeah, maybe con is the wrong word. But the whole idea of status being attached to things has a very...deceitful? feel to it. I dunno, I can't think of the right words here.

I tend to react to such things in a "Ha ha, your foul magic won't work on me" sort of way.

But I have to admit there are probably instances where I definitely fall for the whole status symbols things in spite of myself.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    If I had the cash I would totally put a car on a credit card. Think of the points.

>.>

<.<

I tried but the dealership wouldn't let me.

^ dis muh fucker's credit limit tho

I actually called my CC to see if they'd let me put 22K on it a few years ago at the dealership but then the dealer said there was like a 6K max. Given the bank takes like 6% that makes sense

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    My last okcupid conversation somehow hit batman, so we started talking about bat[stuff], which hit shark repellant, the batcard, and eventually someone brought up batnipples and we both laughed and then the conversation mutually died and we haven't talked since.

Sounds about right!

If it helps I don't usually get to the batnipples stage.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    FUCK

God damnit that Conan O'Brien video did not have ample warning of snakes

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Ello is a social network that lacks ads and is supposed to make money selling features. They also promise not to do data mining.

I feel the key to success here is to promise that and then renege on the promises.

At some point they have to monetize.

Will people be willing to pay like 20-30 bucks a year for a Facebook sans-bullshit?

I might.
    Pretty sure facebook is entirely comprised of bullshit

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    spoiler: I do not have an AMEX black card, or even know if they come in black or whether that is a thing. It sounded cool as fk tho.

I prefer African American Express.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

Holy shit

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    What is my company doing

We're supposed to go beta on this product tomorrow -- of course there hasn't been any actual testing of the update mechanism, which is important since this is an anti-virus-ish product that gets updated multiple times a day. It just flat out doesn't work with the way our CDN works, so now me and the guy involved with patching on the product are scrambling to figure out some hacky way to do it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

It is totally a status thing. Just like Rolexes and Bentleys and whatever else rich people do.

at least with a bentley you're like

my car is fucking fast and has seats made of kangaroo

with a fancy credit card it's like

yeah my shit is heavier than yours and also costs me thousands of dollars

I guess

Skippy lately I feel like my attitude has changed

I used to have this split opinion about fancy cars that they were often well-engineered connoisseur items even if the owners were often walking advertisements for class war

But lately every time I see an expensive sportsy luxury car I just think, "What a fucking tryhard"

Hmm

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    windoesnt ought to just give up and let apple make their computers for them lol

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    I wish I had had money back when you could buy money from the gov with your credit card

but alas I was a poor grad student and they've closed that loophole

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    "Windows 8 is only being offered to employees by about one in five organisations right now. Windows 7 is still the de facto standard for enterprise in the desktop environment.

"For Microsoft to continue to be able to get the best and latest technology in the hands of the enterprise workforce all over the world, it has to have a vehicle to do that - and Windows 9 is its best shot."

Microsoft employees realized that 9 would normally be a good version so decided to avoid it out hatred of the consumers.

Couscous on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Yeah, if you are also the kind of casually fucking rich who walks into chanel and walks out with two full bags of stuff, you probably need one because most normal bank / credit cards will trip all the alarms and go on lockdown when you pull shut like that.

Any of the Amex cards should be fine. None of them have set spending limits and at most you'll get a little call like: "hey so, what's the deal with this $50k purchase?"

I have a gold card for work because I gotta throw 15-20k on there at random to buy airfare, hotel accommodations, and equipment from time to time. I don't even get the calls anymore. (Also I am swimming in the goddamned points oh yes). I think the only difference between Amex's various cards is the perks like $200 for a hotel if a flight you paid for using the card gets cancelled, or the ability to straight up refund a purchase every once in a while if you don't like the thing.

I saw an Amex gold business card go into lockdown at Le Cirque at a business function with 30 people on one tab. Had to call and confirm they meant to do this. Was embarrassed for him.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I guess sometimes she only visits to make a mess.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Amex is honestly a pretty good credit card company. I've only ever used them but I'm not such a social status whore to get myself an AMEX Black.

Although maybe once the kids are both teenagers and I feel a bit safer about doing some traveling I might bite the bullet for the benefits therein.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

I used to have this split opinion about fancy cars that they were often well-engineered connoisseur items even if the owners were often walking advertisements for class war

But lately every time I see an expensive sportsy luxury car I just think, "What a fucking tryhard"

Hmm

idk people want different things from their cars

some people want brums

some people want the car to parallel park itself

and some people want both!

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

want me to shark him?

I don't see how impregnating him is going to help anything.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    windoesnt ought to just give up and let apple make their computers for them lol

huehuehue

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I don't even own a car, much less a luxury car.

I have also sworn myself to never purchase something that isn't an appreciating asset if it costs more than my education did.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i have a single visa credit card

i have been thinking about getting an amex, if not for card diversification

but i dunno

i like my trusty little visa

we've been through a lot together

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

at least with a bentley you're like

my car is fucking fast and has seats made of kangaroo

with a fancy credit card it's like

yeah my shit is heavier than yours and also costs me thousands of dollars

I guess

people* comment all the time on how heavy my card is tho

*if filthy poors are even people

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    I used to get really annoyed about people blowing large wads of cash on luxury goods where you are mostly just paying for the brand recognition (ie. "I want everyone else to know I have money").

But it's not really like that money is going to waste so much as it's just being transferred to people savvy enough to con certain well-to-do out of their excess cash. So I guess my feelings are more of a resounding "meh" these days.

For better or worse, there is social status attached to certain things.

Buying those things is done to purchase that status.

It's not like people are getting conned, they are buying something. They are just buying something that is sadly transitory.

But hell, I pay extra money not to be inconvenienced by things, I'm not sure that I'm so different. I just don't have the disposable income to impress people with my spending.

Well, yeah, maybe con is the wrong word. But the whole idea of status being attached to things has a very...deceitful? feel to it. I dunno, I can't think of the right words here.

I tend to react to such things in a "Ha ha, your foul magic won't work on me" sort of way.

But I have to admit there are probably instances where I definitely fall for the whole status symbols things in spite of myself.

I played a ton of LoL to make it to Gold in ranked so I can get a shiny border status symbol when the season ends

• Options

want me to shark him?

I don't see how impregnating him is going to help anything.

He's 90. No way he makes it through sharkbirth.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I have over 90,000 points on my work card(!), time to transfer those to amazon dollars and give free gifts for christmas.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

but i dunno

I keep meaning to get one with better rewards, since mine is points when I'd probably prefer just cash back. But procrastination

I also don't want to pay an annual fee so I haven't gotten an AMEX

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Hmm

idk people want different things from their cars

some people want brums

some people want the car to parallel park itself

and some people want both!

I am turning into a Chu

Everyone should just drive a Mazda 3 sedan

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

but i dunno

I keep feeling like I should get a card with better rewards

and shaz talks about piling up the points and getting free trips and stuff

but I've had this stupid card since 2003 and I should probably keep it open just for the longevity of the account

and it sounds so tedious to figure out how to maximize points that every time I look into it I just go lie on the divan with a cloth over my eyes instead

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

but i dunno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBqhIVyfsRg

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Couscous wrote: »
    Ello is a social network that lacks ads and is supposed to make money selling features. They also promise not to do data mining.

I feel the key to success here is to promise that and then renege on the promises.

At some point they have to monetize.

Will people be willing to pay like 20-30 bucks a year for a Facebook sans-bullshit?

I might.

maybe. who knows? network TV survived for decades on nothing but advertising revenue. now google is thriving almost exclusively on ad revenue. i don't know that there's any reason that a facebook couldn't.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

I think this is close-ish to correct, but someone school me if I be wrong.
    1- Windows 1
    2- Windows 2 (there was a 2.1 as well, but...)
    3- Windows 3/3.1
    4- Windows NT
    5- Windows Millenium
    6- Windows XP
    7- Windows Vista
    8- Windows 7
    9- Windows 8
    10 - Windows 10

:?:

[ed] Holy goodness. I forgot about Windows 2000, Windows 95 and Windows 98. Go me. :P

iTunesIsEvil on
This discussion has been closed.