As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metro 2033] Last Light is almost upon us, Artyom..

123457»

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Well yeah, that's what I meant. Shooting the blobs is plain nightmare mode, and even with military ammo it's a total pain in the ass; shooting the nests with military ammo makes the section no problem at all.
    The part with the kid was also not awesome.

See, I've never, ever had a problem on that spot and don't really get how people could have trouble there. As soon as the section starts, I just sprint through it and it's over in maybe 5 minutes; the kid will say when the rat-things are around so you can kill the 3-4 that show up, but other than that, just runrunrun until you're through. I think taking the place slowly is how people end up having trouble, because the critters spawn endlessly and the irritating aim alteration; it's all about speed to get through there without a hassle.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    See, I've never, ever had a problem on that spot and don't really get how people could have trouble there. As soon as the section starts, I just sprint through it and it's over in maybe 5 minutes; the kid will say when the rat-things are around so you can kill the 3-4 that show up, but other than that, just runrunrun until you're through. I think taking the place slowly is how people end up having trouble, because the critters spawn endlessly and the irritating aim alteration; it's all about speed to get through there without a hassle.

It's fine to sprint through if you already know the scene; first time through, the idea of sprinting through an area with enemies chasing you and traps ahead with no certain idea of where it ends is silly. Regardless, I'm not talking about difficulty. I had the Volt Driver, played on ranger hardcore, hoarded gold ammo and took enemies out as efficiently as possible. Very little of the game was actually difficult (not even the blobs or librarians). I'm talking about whether having an apparently infinite swarm of strikers around while you're encumbered is cool or not.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I definitely 100% disagree that Metro 2033 is terrible, but I feel like your big problem with the game is you expect certain things to work a certain way instead of handling the way they do work. I mean, you dropped into the game first time out on one of high-lethality difficulty settings before knowing where anything was, then griped because you kept dying the moment you got discovered.
    Well, yes, but with the checkpoint save system and complete darkness it's kind of a waste of time to try to fight it out in that section, so my problem wasn't really that I was dying when I got discovered but rather that the bridge part seems incredibly tedious no matter what you do if you're on Ranger difficulty. Either you must sneak through (with the horrible stealth system) or you have to hope you don't accidentally fall off a ledge or something 15 minutes through the incredibly tense gunfight that's going to result if you get spotted. Gunfights on Ranger are hard when there are that many people and having to replay them a bunch is not my idea of fun.
    You also didn't like a stealth section because you didn't have any silenced weapons... despite stealth being one of the most common themese in the game.
    How should I know it's a common theme? There was one forced stealth section before this part, in the bandit camp. Moreover, silenced weapons are a joke in this game. If you shoot out a light nobody notices, but if you shoot someone, even if they die instantly, everyone knows where you are. Unless you used a knife of course because the knife is magic. So fuck me I guess for not intuiting that I'd need a silenced gun to shoot lights but not people.
    Not saying that you're wrong, just that this may a star-shaped-hole kind of a game and you're trying to jam the goofy ellipsoid piece in there because that's the one you like. Bad fits happen.
    The "hole" I'm trying to jam the game into is "fun," or at least "interesting." It's not like I had any ideas of what I wanted the game to be before I went in. I've played basically every kind of shooter there is and I don't have a problem with high lethality (Rainbow 6 is one of my favorite games) or forced stealth (I love NOLF) or anything. Pretty much anything is acceptable if the game lets me quicksave. What I don't like is having to replay 10 minutes of careful, painstaking sneaking or 10 minutes of intense, high lethality gunfights just because I inched forward too quickly and fell to my doom because I can't turn my flashlight on and I haven't stolen night vision goggles yet. I guess I could bump it down to Normal and just cruise through the game the way I cruised through the bridge section on normal (I just said fuck it and shot a bunch of people) so that I could memorize all the layouts beforehand and then be okay when I play through a second time on Ranger difficulty, but that's not my idea of fun - I want my first person shooter difficulty to depend on how good I am at the game, not on whether I've played through it once before so that when I play on the difficulty I enjoy, I'll know what the developers wanted me to do and thus save myself trial and error. That's a fat load of bullshit. I don't want to have to play a game once through just to be able to know how to play it on the fun difficulty.

It's like if the game only let you carry one air filter or on Ranger difficulty if your gas mask would break instantly when you took damage. That would make the aboveground stuff tedious and uninteresting, because you'd be so time limited and fragile that you'd have to first explore the level on a lower difficulty, then run through it efficiently on the higher difficulty. That removes all the thrill of exploration, all the danger of balancing your desire to poke around with the limited time you have, and all the novelty of experiencing something fresh in a lethal, brutal setting. If that's the only way to play most of the game on Ranger difficulty, I'm probably out - "play through once with no sense of danger to memorize the efficient routes, then play through a second time to experience stuff you've already seen, only this time there is no margin for error so if you fuck up you have to go back to a checkpoint and replay again." That is so not what I want out of a video game.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If that's the only way to play most of the game on Ranger difficulty, I'm probably out - "play through once with no sense of danger to memorize the efficient routes, then play through a second time to experience stuff you've already seen, only this time there is no margin for error so if you fuck up you have to go back to a checkpoint and replay again." That is so not what I want out of a video game.

At which point I would suddenly understand the decision of so many devs to lock the highest difficulty setting until people play a setting which is more forgiving. If this had been HL2 and you chose to play an extremely high difficulty setting where you died in 2-3 hits, there's no way you could reasonably hold it against the game that you were getting frustrated because you couldn't figure out what was going on before you died. If you're going to play a mode where you die really, really easily, then yeah, the parts where you're supposed to be learning your way through things are going to be extremely frustrating, but that's on you and your decision to pick a difficulty mode that was expressly designed for people who had already played the game and wanted something less forgiving.

Metro 2033 is inherently an unforgiving game, and you're getting frustrated with it because you wanted it even more unforgiving and the game is being extremely unforgiving because of that choice and because of your inexperience with the game. You wanted challenge? Well, that's what Ranger mode does; no more player character super-durability, because an enemy only needs to hit you as many times as you hit them for a kill, and there's a shitload more of them than there are you. Ranger mode is supposed to be for folks who already know what is going on, because it is not a mode made to accomodate the usual mistakes of basically any game that involves exploration.

Which is why I said the thing about the pegs and whatnot, because Metro 2033 is definitely more about the atmosphere and whatnot than just the shooty gameplay. I was 100% okay with that and enjoy the game thoroughly, but if your frustration stems from the an unforgiving game with the "unforgiving" part cranked up to 11 and you haven't put in the time to know what is going on, then you just aren't going to like the game. On Normal, plenty of the issues you're facing mean you can learn without having to reload from checkpoints.

Literally, the core of the gripes you're having is because you're refusing to turn off a difficulty setting made literally for people who had already played the game and wanted more challenge. You're playing a mode made for people who already have experience with the game, then getting mad at the game because you don't have the experience to handle the situations the game is throwing at you. Metro 2033 is certainly not perfect and has plenty of rough edges, but your criticism comes from an entirely optional difficulty setting made for repeat play, not first-time, playthroughs.

If you don't want to turn the difficulty down so you can figure things out because you insist it's the only way you can enjoy the game, then you just aren't going to enjoy the game, and nothing within the bounds of the game will change that because you're the one making that call. As far as I'm concerned, the only real mistake with what is happening to you is that selecting a Ranger mode on the New Game screen doesn't say "for people who have already played the game" so people know the score. I could probably give you a thorough list of the problems with the game a whole lot longer than your own criticisms, but Ranger mode being extremely harsh on a new player who refuses to change the difficulty setting is not an issue with the game itself.

• Options
    I wanted challenge from the game so I picked Ranger mode, but the challenge I wanted wasn't "you have to play the game through first to understand the layout of the levels so you can stealth your way through." That's not an interesting challenge for a difficulty mode - they should just call it "second playthrough mode" if that's what it is. I have no issue with hard games - I have an issue with games that are hard for bullshit reasons, like "everyone knows where you are when you kill someone." You say Ranger mode is for players who know what is going on but you also say it reduces player durability - surely the second doesn't lead to the first. Ranger mode is for people who want to die in a few shots. That's me! But I don't want to be railroaded into extended stealth sections with no quicksave - that has nothing to do with Ranger mode. That's just bad design.

I know that Metro is more about atmosphere than shooting, but to me, a big part of atmosphere is Ranger mode - the bridge section had zero atmosphere when I knocked the difficulty down and just waltzed through owning face. I don't feel like Artyom when I turn the difficulty down to normal, I feel like Professor Killgod, Invulnerable Destroyer of the Metro. The bleak oppressive horror of the setting is gone, replaced by all the sweet headshots I'm getting. The best part in this game so far has been the aboveground section where I was wandering around, alone, which was mostly devoid of enemies, and when they did show up, they were easy to dispatch. That was dripping in atmosphere. What doesn't drip in atmosphere is a section I'm playing for the 10th time because the developer didn't understand why modern games have a quicksave button.

It sounds like what you are saying is that Metro 2033 can only be another fairly mediocre first person shooter until I play it through a second time, at which point I can turn on Ranger mode and get the high lethality that makes it more interesting than another Call of Duty game or something. That's disappointing because I can't really separate how a game plays from how a game immerses - so much of what makes games like STALKER or Far Cry 2 amazing is how they make you feel disempowered, and in doing so push the bleakness of the setting onto you. Metro 2033 has Ranger mode for that, but I guess that's not viable for a first playthrough, so instead if have to play Metro 2033 like it's Half-Life 2: a fun, Eastern European flavored romp through some pretty settings where I get to shoot people in the face. That's not terrible, and I'll still have fun, but it's not going to be memorable. The story is stupid and, when robbed of the danger, the pacing, and the time pressure of Ranger mode, the environment is pretty but not overly compelling (also it's very dark), so although this game isn't terrible on Normal difficulty, it isn't anything I'd write home about.

• Options
    I just don't think what you want is in Metro 2033, then. Metro 2033 is definitely more HL2 than STALKER, to the point where I've seen the game referred to as basically an Eastern European HL2. What you're looking for in the game just isn't there on a first-shot playthrough, unless you want to spend a bunch of time flipping the difficulty settings around (which is really doubtful, understandably).

• Options
    Ranger mode is a fountain of false dreams :(

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Ranger mode is a fountain of false dreams :(

I did Ranger mode first time through but also left a trail of bodies that will haunt Artyom's dreams for the rest of his life.

A Metro 2033 non/low violence play through is not something that can be easily done on the first play thought due to the gameplay mechanics.

• Options
    Yeah, and what's the big deal, anyway? Communists, Nazis, bandits, and mutant monsters. It's all the same thing.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    My first run through in Metro 2033 was on Ranger Easy while I was on Ranger Hardcore for my first LL run. Needless to say, Steam tells me my playtime is a lot longer than how long most people say the campaign lasts. I will say that Black Station is just horrible though for stealth runners though. I swear the strategy for one part of that level just involves sprinting through to the next checkpoint while everyone's backs are turned for 1 or 2 seconds.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Black Station stealth isn't something you'll manage first time, but there are quite a few ways to do it and most of them are fairly generous once you know how they work.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Stealth mode wasn't something i could do in the original metro but only because i'm not patient enough to sneak completely. The bridge fight i accomplished by part sneaking, getting seen by like the third guy and killing all the communists and getting off of the bridge and heading along the ground.

I finished the rest of the level in a series of gunfights and this is on ranger easy.

However i ran out of bullets in the library cos i'm stuck and i can't sneak past the bads

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I loved Ranger Mode, I couldn't possibly imagine playing Metro without it now. I get the feeling I would have enjoyed the game a lot less without it.

I was about five seconds away from suffocating to death and scavenging everything I could get my hands on. The hit first or don't get to hit at all style difficulty really made a huge difference for me. This game was fucking intense.

Once you reach that last leg of the game, felt soooo good unleashing the military grade ammo knowing there were no more shops. Revenge!

Wasted all my damn regular ammo trying to get through that amoeba barrage.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    You've got to be kidding me. I gave up and turned it down to easy for that stealth section. And now the next sequence is an on rails turret section (because everyone loves) those with a clunky as hell turret (why would we let you turn left and right with your mouse? It's much more fun to use A and D!) and I keep getting blown up halfway through and having to restart at the checkpoint. I mean seriously, I'm not terrible at FPS games, I've beat basically every other single player FPS I've played on the hardest difficulty. This game is just terrible. If you're going to put in something as stupid as an on rails turret sequence at least have the sense not to make it something the player can fail because you've handicapped them with terrible controls.

You know what, people said I was wrong about Far Cry 2 being the worst game I ever played and that I just sucked at it.

You are wrong about Metro 2033 being a terrible game, and it seems like you just suck at it. I did the whole game Ranger Easy first, and I didn't have that much trouble.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    So I Ranger mode for last light worth the $5?

I really enjoy last light, and do not mind sending money to the developer.

However, I really feel like I should not have to pay for a difficulty mode, and really do not want that to become standard in this market.

Thoughts?

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Frankly, I was able to live without it. The UI is kind of minimal to begin with, and the game felt great to play as it was. Ranger mode might make the guns hit harder or money ammo more scarce, but thanks to that one shop right next to the bandit outpost you likely could still be swimming in the stuff if you wanted to. Felt like the loadsamoney dude for the rest of the game.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Stolls wrote: »
    Frankly, I was able to live without it. The UI is kind of minimal to begin with, and the game felt great to play as it was. Ranger mode might make the guns hit harder or money ammo more scarce, but thanks to that one shop right next to the bandit outpost you likely could still be swimming in the stuff if you wanted to. Felt like the loadsamoney dude for the rest of the game.

Yeah it would be for my second playthrough of the game. The Hud and UI didn't really bother me, but I was always swimming in ammo.

Just trying to way my principle of paying for something that should be included versus my enjoyment of the game so far.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    You end up with a cartoonishly large number of money bullets whilst scrounging for bullets for everything. It does, however promote dumping weapons and using others because you've run out of that type of ammo

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    So, the Factions Pack DLC came out today:
    "Experience 3 original Metro missions as a specialist from the different factions. Play as a Special Detachment Sniper of the Red Line, a Polis Ranger, and a Reich Heavy Squad Soldier. This pack also includes 3 new deadly weapons including the Hellbreath, Medved, and the Silent Sniper Rifle."

My impressions, spoilered for a reference to the main campaign.
    First lets get the bad out of the way... the Reich mission is just awful. Basically its a rehash of the last stand at D6, complete with a tank as the last boss. You're stuck in a small rectangle shaped area as waves and waves of Reds rush you. Eventually they throw snipers into the mix which is when it gets really frustrating. Often you're preoccupied with other things when a sniper steps out from cover and kills you in one or two shots. It was at this point that I skipped this mission and moved on to the other ones, but I came back later and beat it on the easiest difficulty, just to see it through to the end. The only cool thing is you get to play with some new weapons, a railgun sniper rifle, and a pipe bomb launcher, but the level is pretty short.

Next I played the Polis Ranger mission, and this is what I feel the development team put most of their effort into. As a newly recruited Ranger, you're assigned to a small team tasked with scavenging the Russian State Library and its surrounding sewer tunnels for supplies. You have a safe zone down in the sewers where you can trade for equipment and rest to save the game. Then from this safe zone, you make excursions up to the surface looking for salvage. The twist is that you wont find any filters on the surface, and you can only carry so many salvage items at one time. So you have to keep an eye on your filter time, and when you feel you're running low, you have to make your way back to base camp to offload your scavenged items for pay, and to restock on supplies. There also seem to be random encounters with mutants, so you're never feeling truly safe until you make it back to your camp and the doors shut behind you. Weapons available are pretty basic, but you have access to some special ammo / throwing weapons unique to this scenario which make things interesting. Overall I enjoyed this mission the most out of the three. It felt like Metro, with some elements of Stalker mixed in.

Finally, in the last scenario, you play as a badass Soviet Spec Ops dude with a tricked out suppressed sniper rifle, on a mission to infiltrate a Reich base. This mission is a pretty run of the mill stealth level, which is made somewhat interesting by harsh weather conditions. Though enjoyable while it lasts, this is another extremely short level that felt to me like it ended just as it was starting to get good.

Ultimately, It would be pretty hard for me to recommend this to anyone other than the die hard fan starved for more Metro gameplay.

tldr: Of the three scenarios offered, theres one really good one, one thats mediocre, and one thats extremely crappy. Probably worth picking up if it goes on sale.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Rented this from Redbox today, I think I'm not far from the end. The Helsing and Quad!Duplet are fucking works of art, and my upgraeded revolvers a good back up.

I do have to ask, though,
    did I miss something or did magic time travel happen via a magic leaky roof? It's awesome in a Neverwhere kinda way, but sort of comes out of nowhere. Is there earlier forshadowing I missed?

Also, baby Dark One is the sweetest little guy.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So I just got finished with this. I really enjoyed the game but...

Ranger mode is a DLC?

They seriously made a difficulty mode an entirely separate DLC?

And they want five dollars for it?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahaha....

Heheh... hooo....

No.

That's a shame.

RT800 on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It could be time traveler, but it could also be an irradiated mushroom water trip.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Man so

I got this super cheap on sale so I figured why not try out the ranger mode for $1.50...

The Hardcore mode removes the HUD in the least sensible way possible. It is just gone. No way to gather that information in any other manner. No way to switch secondary weapons or count your fucking ammo.

Christ, that'll teach me to pay anything at all for a goddamn difficulty setting. What a complete crock of shit.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    finished Last Light. I got the bad ending, apparently, even though I did a lot of decidedly nice guy things like spare people, not kill many people at all, and I even gave the fucking kid his teddy bear back. Not sure what I missed out on.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I installed Metro 2033 after getting it super cheap in a Steam sale ages ago.
    How do I get it to not run like dog poop? :P

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Try running in DX9 mode

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Didn't seem to help very much. :?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Stealth is a lot more fun and stylish in Last Light. Went to take/steal weapons away from a guy that was surrendering to me (who cares, he's a nazi, You want me to wait until I walk away and he shoots me?) and it turns out I've been murdering dudes this whole time when I could have just been knocking them out with E (which isn't listed in the keyboard as anything other than use/interact for objects).

Is killing some karmic choices that tallies up in an ending choice? Normally I'm all for being as evil as possible because thats usually the most entertaining option but this world is already hopelessly depressing and I already got my fill earlier when I realized I
    commited Dark One genocide in the first game.
    Also, Corvo needs to take lessons from Artym about rendering someone unconscious. You punch the fuck out of them or bash them with the pommel of your blade like a man.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Last Light is good, but it's like Dishonored in that the morality system is pretty binary and childish.

Of course I'm going to fucking kill everyone who's trying to kill me. Fuck even stepping out of the shadows and giving them a chance.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Last Light is good, but it's like Dishonored in that the morality system is pretty binary and childish.

Of course I'm going to fucking kill everyone who's trying to kill me. Fuck even stepping out of the shadows and giving them a chance.
    So thats a yes on using the knife matters.

I could knock out half their army and some of them seemed terrified and pressed into service, sure....or I could actually kill them and not leave them alive to terrorize their way through the Metro shooting everybody that looks funny to them.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    It doesn't give you a semi choice for the ending like 2033? That's dumb.

• Options
    They really stepped up their "man is the real monster" game in this one.
    On the upside, Artyom is a man now.

Awww yeaaah.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I came in here to see if anyone has picked up the Metro Redux collection on any platform and if it is worth the nearly $50 price tag on Xbox one.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    I was actually wondering what the point of the redux versions even were, but I didn't even consider that they were the next-gen versions so the new consoles could have all the Prettiez.

I would inherently say that, if you already have played the Metro games, fifty bucks is too much for rebuying them. I loved the hell out of them, though, and $50 for both games and some extra stuff is great if it's your first time playing the games.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Last Light is less worth it, but 2033 is completely rebuilt in Last Light's engine with the improvements that came with it usability wise, AI, etc, so it's a much better game for it.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    They had it on sale pre-release for prior owners, too. Only 50% off though. $25 is a bit steep for an engine port.

• Options
    2033 got really redone. It kinda puts all the other "remasted" games to shame.

• Options
    Does Last Light redux have 2033's Ranger mode? Because Last Light's was dumb, and is my only complaint about LL.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Picked up Redux. Love it.

And to answer that question, pretty sure it gave the option to play LL with 2033s ranger mode at the new game menu

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/