Options

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Also use the environment to block their missiles while you work out where to go and what to do.

They wont move around to shoot behind pillars and other obstacles. You can freely work out the best path to them and spot hidden threats by looking around the side of the pillars.

If you get non mage aggro, pull it behind a wall or into a house as soon as it starts towards you. Deal with them separately from the mages.

I think you said you are a sorceror, so use binos to snipe them with soul arrows, heavy souls arrows, whatever you got. Don't use hexes to snipe their range is too short. It doesn't matter that it takes a lot. You can bring along a hell of a lot of arrows.

Takes a little practice but its a very handy thing to learn.

You use the binos, point the center of the screen at them and fire off an arrow with the other weapon slot.

You can also use this to pull melee enemies.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    So, ending spoiler for all 3 DLC
    the buff you get from Vendrick which eliminates hollowing while wearing crowns does not persist into new game plus

What's even the damn point then

The DLC is the hardest content in the game, you should be doing it dead last

I seriously do not comprehend the design decision behind that.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    the buff you get from Vendrick which eliminates hollowing while wearing crowns does not persist into new game plus

Considering you have to at least get up to the Undead Crypt to get the power, I don't really see the point either.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Louie wrote: »
    If anyone has any questions about bloodborne, I got in the alpha and it is playable tonight.

It's also playable at the weekend but I'm away! Shocking timing for a wedding.

So much hate.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I agree that it makes no sense to me that it doesn't carry over to NG+ iterations. I feel like if you get it on a character it should just be permanent on that character. Seems very odd they didn't do it that way.

Also, you can't actually get the special power until you get the ashen mist heart, right? I assume you need it to access Vendrick's memory? So by that point you're basically going to have giant lord and nashandra left and nothing else. Maybe D&W if you leave them up to do back to back with Nash.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Louie wrote: »
    If anyone has any questions about bloodborne, I got in the alpha and it is playable tonight.

It's also playable at the weekend but I'm away! Shocking timing for a wedding.

So much hate.

I hate myself! Destiny has it's hooks in me so I only ran around killing dudes with pitchforks for like 5 minutes! Blunderbuss and extendable scythe were cooler than all the weapons in souls.

Seemed to be other archetypes to choose as well, agile with blades, heavy with sword and pistols and heavy with sword and hammer I think.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular

For PvP.

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Rofflor wrote: »

For PvP.

Or you could just trade some bonfire ascetics for 5 effigies each and not wear an ugly crown all the time.

Or just pvp as a phantom. That works too.

Deans on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, I think this snowstorm area is the only thing I have left to do in this DLC. I have died surprisingly little in this DLC compared to the crushfest that was Sunken King for me - a bow and some patience let you choose your battles easily (and my Dragonrider bow can interrupt charging ice hedgehogs). Even Ivory King was pretty easy as long as you play really careful and patiently, and Aava was only hard because it was so slow. Granted, I admit I play like an abject coward, but hey. Dark Souls. Bravery does not get you more points here :P.

Also, on invaders,
    Fucking HELL Maldron was annoying. I killed him my first time, but only after ten minutes of running around the entire area like a Benny Hill ending sequence. I think this is the first time since Bed of Chaos I have felt legit frustrated at a DS game

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, I think this snowstorm area is the only thing I have left to do in this DLC. I have died surprisingly little in this DLC compared to the crushfest that was Sunken King for me - a bow and some patience let you choose your battles easily (and my Dragonrider bow can interrupt charging ice hedgehogs). Even Ivory King was pretty easy as long as you play really careful and patiently, and Aava was only hard because it was so slow. Granted, I admit I play like an abject coward, but hey. Dark Souls. Bravery does not get you more points here :P.

Also, on invaders,
    Fucking HELL Maldron was annoying. I killed him my first time, but only after ten minutes of running around the entire area like a Benny Hill ending sequence. I think this is the first time since Bed of Chaos I have felt legit frustrated at a DS game

Be prepared to get legit frustrated in the snowstorm area too. The only noteworthy items there are
    A neat greatsword, a useless health regen shield, and a ring that makes you look human when you're a phantom.

It's not worth it.

Deans on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Deans wrote: »

Also, on invaders,

Be prepared to get legit frustrated in the snowstorm area too. The only noteworthy items there are
    A neat greatsword, a useless health regen shield, and a ring that makes you look human when you're a phantom.

It's not worth it.

also
    the best looking hat in the game

Elendil on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Granted, I admit I play like a cunning predator, but hey. Dark Souls.

I fixed your sentence for you.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Oh gaaawd, cursed!

Thankfully I walked it off.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Granted, I admit I play like a cunning predator, but hey. Dark Souls.

I fixed your sentence for you.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure sniping the giants with like twenty arrows from two screens away while deactivated rather than fight them and making use of leash ranges to be unthreatened by enemy groups falls a bit under the cowardly banner :P. I'm not sure what I'd do in this game without a ranged attack.

Drascin on
  • Options
    finally decided to bite the bullet and ascetic the drangleic bonfire so i could get the ring of blades +2

final AR on the Chaos Rapier with 40 dex, 30 int/fai, the fire clutch ring, flynn's ring, and the ring of blades +2 is 273 physical, 242 fire (515 combined)

that is reasonably strong

i guess

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    adding up the combined damage is always going to set you up for disappointment since resistances are applied to each damage type, so you won't ever get anywhere near what the damage types add up to on paper

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    finally decided to bite the bullet and ascetic the drangleic bonfire so i could get the ring of blades +2

final AR on the Chaos Rapier with 40 dex, 30 int/fai, the fire clutch ring, flynn's ring, and the ring of blades +2 is 273 physical, 242 fire (515 combined)

that is reasonably strong

i guess

Is that with the chaos rapier infused with fire or uninfused? If infused, it really gimps the RoB and Flynn damage. You get reduced benefit on infused weapons. It's kind of a double edged blade honestly using a build like you describe, because the fire clutch ring gets more benefit if you fire infuse the weapon, and RoB/Flynn get less benefit when you infuse.

I have like 650+ AR on my current character with Fume UGS, 40 STR/30 DEX and nothing but RoB+1 to enhance damage. =P

• Options
    So Dark Souls 1 question? I'm thinking of doing another playthrough, and I only used miracles my first playthrough and really not even that much. If i'm going to make a character that uses DEX weapons(haven't decided on Uchi/Balder Side Sword yet), but want to use Pyromancy as well, how many attunement slots would somebody suggest for pyromancies? I figure I don't want to invest too much in attunement since pyro is the only magic i'm going to use, but I want to make sure I can use plenty of the fun stuff pyro has to offer.

• Options
    i'm pretty sure i'm gonna depopulate the DLC before i get an ice rapier on my dex character

at least i got one for my strength character tho

thank you

for that

• Options
    15 Loyce Souls. Only like 35 to go.

I should start using item discovery items...

steam_sig.png

• Options
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure i'm gonna depopulate the DLC before i get an ice rapier on my dex character

thank you

for that

This makes me feel bad, I thought they were common

Game threw 8 at me before I'd finished the DLC bosses

• Options

OMG that leaping attack to spin the thing was just too much, I laughed so hard. Your commitment to the caestus only dream is a thing of beauty. =P

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »

OMG that leaping attack to spin the thing was just too much, I laughed so hard. Your commitment to the caestus only dream is a thing of beauty. =P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQn8pab8Vc

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    DONE with Blight Town. Two bells rung. No guides.

Am I a Soul bro yet?

Still waitin' for the Ornstein and Smough... :(

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    DONE with Blight Town. Two bells rung. No guides.

Am I a Soul bro yet?

Still waitin' for the Ornstein and Smough... :(

Beating them is easy, young one.

Getting to them, there is your real challenge.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options

thank you

for that

This makes me feel bad, I thought they were common

Game threw 8 at me before I'd finished the DLC bosses
    good lord

i've just about emptied out the path between the first two bonfires

• Options
    Yeah, I have six of the damn things myself. I though they were the most common drop of the enemy type.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    That video from Dark Souls 1 cracked me up. The way he timed getting eaten by the mimics with the song was perfect.

Now that all 3 DLC are out it is time to get back into it. Going to roll a new character since my previous one is around sl250 and on NG3 or 4 so I could get all of the achievements. Last time it was dual wielding Dex weapons combined with liberal use of parries and rolling. I would go thunder god but apparently lightning spears got the nerf hammer hard. So maybe a strength build this time.

Also Bloodborne is literally selling me on getting a PS4 by itself. I really hope they have a collector's edition equal to or better then DS2.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    I might have figured out why I was having trouble with white/yellow signs

Turns out, seperrate matchmaking servers for NG and NG+X aren't limited to Player vs Player but pertain to CooP as well. Because... reasons? Anyways, I hopped into NG+ and got summoned TWICE almost immediatly in fucking Heides Tower of Flame. Now to make my way up to the third DLC again for that jolly coop action....ugh.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Doing my first serious run of NG+

Dabbled a bit with it on the PS3 but I wanted to wait till all the DLC was done for my PC main save

It is fun. Looots of souls. I'm a high enough soul level to fully enjoy the benefits of a Dark Crypt Greatsword. 50 int/fth, 40 str. It is ludicrous. Like 799 AR. Very very slow and my Moonlight Greatsword is better for some bosses/encounters but hoooly cow does it pack a whollop.

Pretty close to the end now. Cleared the undead crypt last night. I don't know if I want to do any of the DLC at NG+. I've ruined permanently huge portions of Sunken King by ascetic farming. Enemies hit too goddamn hard now. The other two but harder doesn't sound appealing either.

• Options
    it's probably about time for me to jump into NG+ too

i'm pretty sure i have like 6 million soul memory at this point

• Options
    Farming for those 50 souls in the 3rd DLC and wearing exclusively soul-increasing armor during my whole NG+ run so far has increased my level from about 190 to 234, and my soul memory to somewhere around 6 million to about 11.

It's a lot of fun having very high stats in more than two things, while not compromising health and/or stamina

• Options
    i've capped my characters at 180 so far

i'm not entirely sure why. it feels like a solid level, that still retains a little bit of distinctiveness to a build. but i do need to make some sacrifices to keep my level that low, and i know no one else is bothering so it's more than a little bit foolish

i'll probably end up just going fuck it and getting 50 in my scaling stats and health and stamina at some point.

in other news, i got an ice rapier and it is not really a big deal. apparently it's more of a thing magic infused.

also i was super excited about the strength-scaling (S!) curved greatsword, but in practice it's underwhelming. it has 500ish AR, which is more or less in line with most greatswords, but has high stat requirements and pretty huge stamina consumption. i can only swing 4 times on 40 END. it gets extra damage on higher NG+'s but if i planned to go high in those, i'd have started a long time ago

kind of a boring DLC as far as gear goes.

• Options
    The Ivory King Greatsword is a lot of fun but unless you've got bunches of repair items or spells it's not going to be super useful as a regular item when exploring between bonfires or anything.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    kind of a boring DLC as far as gear goes.

counterpoint: they gave us the mimic head and a lightsaber

• Options
    i do need to try the ivory king greatsword. the fact that's a dex weapon is both cool because variety! and disappointing because my strength character is just starved for cool weapons

mimic head definitely has my approval

DLC was a very solid perfomance, fashion-souls-wise

i want the loyce set, but dat grind

• Options
    I don't want to imagine how awful the grind will be now that there probably aren't as many people co-oping the boss as before

I was getting summons like every 2 minutes or so and it still took the better part of 3 to 5 hours

Really hope the team does some post-DLC support to ease up a few of the more tedious aspects of the game, like they did with Dark Souls 1.

• Options
    I don't want to imagine how awful the grind will be now that there probably aren't as many people co-oping the boss as before

I was getting summons like every 2 minutes or so and it still took the better part of 3 to 5 hours

Really hope the team does some post-DLC support to ease up a few of the more tedious aspects of the game, like they did with Dark Souls 1.

If you didn't have internet I imagine it would be a matter of ascetics wouldn't it? I haven't done this boss I just know it apparently requires you to kill it multiple times.

• Options
    hm, it only takes 15 souls to get the arms/legs/chest

the frog helmets suck, so i don't care if i get that

can shortcut the soul by being an asshole

hmmm

is the ivory king set locked behind the grind too?