As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    No.

No he did not.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    oh i see i think you bugged him out

his AI flips out if you don't let him do the Fonz when he appears

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I was actually wondering why he wasn't doing anything.

While punching him.

Never waste good luck! That whole video was a lot of luck.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Oh man I totally ran straight through that room on the basis that screaming and charging madly past everything in my way is a good survival strategy.

Long story short I made it to the next bonfire.

Yeah I don't know. Sometimes I do things and honestly they only really work because I'm used to getting myself out of the messes I get myself into.

They'd be suicide for anyone else.

Ok, I took your approach and just ran screaming through the area picking up loot on my way, and now I'm platforming my way down to a fog door (also by running and screaming and looting, cause those knight thingies are pretty tough).

And I did materialize the immaterial dudes, but then figured it was not worth it to actually fight them.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Just killed the Bed of Chaos. One Lord Soul to go.

During my repeat runs, I was humming the theme song from Hawaii-Five-O during the pre-boss slide.

• Options
    apparently this new patch has cromwell givng you a one-time get out of jail free card for sin, to make up for the sin bug in ivory king

strongly considering giving the lost sinner's sword a whirl on my strength/faith character now

it's supposed to be a monster infused

• Options
    oh hey the warlock mask

on my faith character

who can't equip it

consarnit

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    oh hey the warlock mask

on my faith character

who can't equip it

consarnit

Already I am annoyed with DS and its bosses dropping pretty much nothing on a regular basis. Bah!

• Options
    So I completed my first no guide Dark Souls game! Gwyn was definitely a lot harder for first time players than I was expecting. I had heard about the parry trick before I started, but I was never a royal guard player in DMC or anything like that. When two hits of his sword can obliterate you, it's just not a good tactic. I used the central rock column and a black knight shield and even then the only move I could safely punish was the grab.

All in all, a really amazing game. You really do get a intense adrenaline rush after defeating a difficult boss, devising a clever tactic, or discovering a new secret or shortcut.

This is also one of the few games where I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of the content. I looked back on the stuff I missed and I don't think I got even half of the items, secrets or characters you can meet! I missed the basic undead merchant in the burg for the entire playthrough! That's right, I had no bow until 2/3rds of the way through the game.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    oh hey the warlock mask

on my faith character

who can't equip it

consarnit

Already I am annoyed with DS and its bosses dropping pretty much nothing on a regular basis. Bah!

Perfect timining! Just now there was a theory on reddit that progressing in NG+ ranks increases drop rates, which almost everyone seems to agree with. Sadly there is not one piece of evidence. If nothing else, having played through the game multiple times myself in NG+ and NG++ I'd severely agree with this theory.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    i'm definitely noticing a difference between NG and NG+

i feel like i'm getting some sort of drop from just about every other kill

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    That crushing sense of inevitability when you realize that the person who summoned you didn't bother to find any of the Loyce knights.

I love it.

It's what I crave.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    Lork wrote: »
    That crushing sense of inevitability when you realize that the person who summoned you didn't bother to find any of the Loyce knights.

I love it.

It's what I crave.

Well.... at least you'll have many Loyce Knights to farm for souls :P

Though really, it is an incredibly epic fight, and something I've wanted for a long time - you and one/two other players, together, against a horde of enemies.

What I wouldn't give for a survival arena kind of mode for Dark Souls 2...

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I6nnTGB2FU&feature=youtu.be

This is nothing special, just general punchy gameplay. I haven't really shown anything that indicates how I play through an area. I thought it would give some context for when I talk about punching.
    I like the dark souls???? moment at the end.

That stuff happens all the time with punching. You just get used to it.

In mmo's this is called "body pulling".

I use it in these kinds of games a lot. Learnt it from Godhand. :)

Also note how paranoid I am. Watching everywhere.

Always expect that something is out to get you.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    i'm pretty sure the red phantoms in iron keep NG+ were hand placed by satan himself

i'm not even mad

just impressed

Elendil on
  • Options
    i'm generally really impressed with how evil they are

how uncaring for our everyday arbitrary rules like fairness or honor

they're all sitting around in a room cackling over a foul brew that contains all of the worst ways to destroy a mans soul, and whenever they need something from it one of them shambles over and plunges his arm into the bubbling mass and pulls out their next torment

just the way i love them

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    First time I ran in to that furnace room to find 2 red phantom alonne captains i was like "alright i'm calling bullshit." That room was just on fire. But I didn't even care because they elicited the exact reaction they wanted out of me. My eyes must have gone wide as hell when I first saw them, thinking I was going to cruise in there and snag a free petrified dragon bone.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    First time I ran in to that furnace room to find 2 red phantom alonne captains i was like "alright i'm calling bullshit." That room was just on fire. But I didn't even care because they elicited the exact reaction they wanted out of me. My eyes must have gone wide as hell when I first saw them, thinking I was going to cruise in there and snag a free petrified dragon bone.
    i just about shit myself when i picked up the dull ember and

SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER

edit: oh my christing fuck

the red phantom outside drangleic castle is maldron tier

i can't touch him, he three shots me, he has so much health i can't even cheese him with poison arrows, and he has that fucking superhuman tracking and animation canceling ability

what in the everloving fuck am i even supposed to do here

he canceled a spin into a spin

Elendil on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Okay, after playing all three DLCs more of less in their entirety, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Ivory
    2. Sunken
    3. Old Iron

The DLCs started strong with Sunken King, but I was a little disappointed with Old Iron King since it was so short in comparison. Then they ended strong with Ivory King. I really love the snowy aesthetic and had alot of fun exploring all the environments. Apparently VaatiVidya thought the areas were boring but I enjoyed them.

Now I'm trying to farm up enough Loyce souls. I think I'm up to 28, after having a really good coop farming run. We were all on the same page strategically since we just avoided the boss and let the knights spawn over and over again.

So is this it for DLCs? For sure From is done with this game?

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I'm currently doing a virgin run of the Iron King DLC. Fucking hell. Not overly impressed so far (in fact, I just wanna get the loot and never come back. Very few of the enemies are fun to fight, and the enemy placement can be summed up as 'Did you bring a bow and lots of arrows'? Boring!). What SL is it meant for anyway? I'm like, 70something.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    I believe the DLC areas are meant for people close to end game since the enemies seem to have a butt ton of HP. Personally I didn't really have trouble with any of the DLCs, but then again, I'm running around at SL 200+ with two +10 rapiers. I just switched over to a pair of fully upgraded Ice Rapiers from the Ivory King DLC.

I'm willing to trade 10 damage for some bleeding potential, plus they seem to be a little bit longer than the regular rapiers. The only downside is I can't parry anymore, but I almost never try for those anyways.

• Options
    finally cleared my sin and took the lost sinner's sword into pvp

pro: the damage. fucking. god. buffed, it's commonly hitting for 50% of their health.
    con: it's a good thing it hits for 50% health, because good fucking luck hitting anyone with it. i went four fights before i actually connected with it. between the short length, and the lack of the hit shockwave most of the other big weapons have, it is so so easy to dodge.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Dark Souls giveth: four titanite shards in about fifteen minutes of running around in the Parish, with plenty of souls to actually use them.

And Dark souls taketh away: ...one of them was the only drop from the Black Knight there. Also, I have not had any humanity for some time now, kinda getting annoying. Not even the rats are dropping it.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    I believe the DLC areas are meant for people close to end game since the enemies seem to have a butt ton of HP. Personally I didn't really have trouble with any of the DLCs, but then again, I'm running around at SL 200+ with two +10 rapiers. I just switched over to a pair of fully upgraded Ice Rapiers from the Ivory King DLC.

I'm willing to trade 10 damage for some bleeding potential, plus they seem to be a little bit longer than the regular rapiers. The only downside is I can't parry anymore, but I almost never try for those anyways.

Taking into consideration that CooP activity is generally bigger in NG+ than in NG, all three DLCs have at least one or two parts to them that are tailored towards a NG+ run, which I'd say is engame-ish by default.

Subjectively I'd also say that the DLCs are best done at the end of a playthrough. You can do them at the start but it'd be similar to going straight to castle drangleic and beyond after farming a 1 million souls.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm going to go with the insanely obvious here and just say go into them once you get to their entrances via progressing normally in the story.

I would also thoroughly recommend not really listening to anyone elses take on when you should go into them because everybody is different and finds different parts of these games hard or easy.

There is going to be someone who waltzed through everything someone else despised and died over and over on and go "I don't see the big idea? It was easy." and vice versa.

So get in there and have a go yourself.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Well... DLC spoilers
    There's also the fact that to get the Vendrick conversations/crown powerups you have to at least gotten up to the Undead Crypt which is fairly endgame-ish either way. The lore "additions" also fit better once you're at that point, eg Shards of Manus, cycle of Darkness and Fire, the search for an escape (as it should be fairly obvious at that point that you're going to become the next Monarch)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Ivory King DLC:
    Damn, didn't realize the enemy respawns run out for farming Loyce Souls. I'm so close now too, at 38 souls.

Now the only way I can get 'em is if I use a bonfire ascetic which I don't want to do, or from getting summoned to another player's world.

I'm tempted to just shoot whats her face with a bow and be done with it, but... then I wont get the Ivory King's armor.

• Options
    I thought those dudes never stopped respawning?

• Options
    I thought those dudes never stopped respawning?
    Apparently they do after a while.

Had I known this is how it works, I wouldn't have killed off the boss.

Oh well, 38 souls is within reach of 50. I'll get it eventually.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I've been sick today, so I wrapped up the last of the helper Loyce knights, then went on to farm all 50 souls. Basically the time it took me to get them all equals one 13 episode anime. Productivity ho!

Retainer's Robe, Alonne leggings (Cale's Pants are also acceptable) and Fume Sorcerer gloves makes for a very nice martial arts bum outfit.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Dark Souls on PC is dropping GFWL and moving over to Steam! This is happening next month. You will only have a limited time to get your game moved over apparently, otherwise you can transfer your GFWL indefinitely.

• Options
    So is it better to wait for the switch if I have the PS3 version? I don't have Prepare to Die.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So is it better to wait for the switch if I have the PS3 version? I don't have Prepare to Die.
    I would wait and just make sure that steamworks doesn't screw with the DSfix, then yes. Get the PC version.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    So...on ng+ how does one Fume Knight? I don't even...

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Oh my god. The section of level before the first iron crown boss. I hate you game. I hate you so much. This boss does NOT deserve this dickish a buildup.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Oh my god. The section of level before the first iron crown boss. I hate you game. I hate you so much. This boss does NOT deserve this dickish a buildup.

Look to the right of the boss's arena.

• Options
    I'd have to get back to the arena first, which is a huge pain in the ass!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Just to be clear, are you talking about Fume Knight, or the co-optional boss? I don't remember Fume Knight having any particular nastiness leading up to him. There's some enemies you can just run past or fight but that's all I remember about it really.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Just to be clear, are you talking about Fume Knight, or the co-optional boss? I don't remember Fume Knight having any particular nastiness leading up to him. There's some enemies you can just run past or fight but that's all I remember about it really.

Yeah all three Iron Crown bosses can be fought in any order. Fume Knight has a bonfire right there, but the other two are definitely a big pain.

• Options
    I didn't know they could be done in any order.
    I'm talking about Smelter demon. he's the first one I found.

M A G I K A Z A M