Options

Dungeonings and Dragaerans and Labyrinths and Wyverns etc.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jim Morrison as a final boss will be a novel change.

Ride the snake to the lake.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    If you had a wand of color spray why didn't you just use that on the M&Ms?

I don't actually know what a wand of colorspray does.

Bravo on the reference, however.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    If you had a wand of color spray why didn't you just use that on the M&Ms?

I don't actually know what a wand of colorspray does.

Rainbow.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I always felt the music of the Greatful Dead should be weaponized.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Six String Samauri as a campaign idea.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Colorspray is one of the actual spells from Jack Vance's works that was lifted for D&D.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »

I bet elves would be big deadheads.

Dwarves would probably listen to, like, doom metal or industrial or something.

Orcs are all about the black and speed metal.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »

I bet elves would be big deadheads.

Dwarves would probably listen to, like, doom metal or industrial or something.

Orcs are all about the black and speed metal.

@Straightzi

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yes okay let's talk

I have created an entire setting where each standard fantasy race is based off of a genre of music

Using bands and musicians as the basis for my adventuring parties and major political figures in the world

I can tell you what genre everyone is

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The basic fantasy rundown is humans are pop, elves are glam, dwarves are the blues, the various species of orc and giantkind are different varieties of metal, half-elves are alternative, halflings are folk, and gnomes are jazz

But you can give me pretty much any 4E race and I can tell you what they would be and why

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    What about shardminds? I feel like they would be some kind of trance or techno or something.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Gnomes would obviously be into EDM.

Halflings probably listen to bluegrass and maybe some folk-punk.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The basic fantasy rundown is humans are pop, elves are glam, dwarves are the blues, the various species of orc and giantkind are different varieties of metal, half-elves are alternative, halflings are folk, and gnomes are jazz

But you can give me pretty much any 4E race and I can tell you what they would be and why

wilden

• Options

Tieflings!

And dragonfolk ir whatever you'd call them I can't remember.

Genasi!

Aasimar!

• Options
    Modron's listen to Kraftwerk for sure.

• Options
    Denada wrote: »
    What about shardminds? I feel like they would be some kind of trance or techno or something.

Industrial. Mostly because Warforged needed a claim on techno, for obvious reasons.
    Kilroy wrote: »

wilden

Psychodelia. They're part of the upper class of the Fae descent, consisting more notably of Eladrin (post modernism and art rock) and Elves (glam). The underclass of the Fae is headed up by the hobgoblins (emo) and the shadar-kai (gothic), while goblins (house) tend to be used as slaves of the elves in the material plane

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    How about

Gnolls

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    How about

Gnolls

Experimental and avant-garde metal

• Options

Tieflings!

And dragonfolk ir whatever you'd call them I can't remember.

Genasi!

Aasimar!

Punk rock!

Hip hop.

Indie (varietal depends on their element, obviously. Fire genasi are indie punk, water genasi are indie alt, air genasi indie post modern, and earth genasi folk-inspired indie)

Ambience.

• Options
    I also have a pretty sizeable amount of world history worked out, and a huge document that is just every band that was on my iPod reconfigured into some sort of fantasy adventuring party or institution. Which is hilarious, as part of the origin of the setting was for me to have a shorthand way to do worldbuilding.

• Options
    Straightzi let's run away together <3

• Options
    I also have an entire map of the world that lives pretty much entirely in my head

There are four major continents, and each one is modeled after an instrument

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Kobolds?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Ah fuck it, I'll share my shit

Here's some bands

I don't know when I last updated a lot of this stuff, so it might be rough and/or awful

And a whole lot of the setting is still trapped in my head, so who knows what's going on there

• Options
    Kobolds?

Funk.

Kobolds, like the Dragonborn, are descended from Dragons, one of the three great progenitor races of Terra Sonore. While there's no real historical record prior to The King's formation of the country of Roquinarol, we know a few things, and some races will claim their longevity. These races are the Dragons (R&B), the Treants (Swing/Big Band), and the Rakshasa (Ragtime/Honky-Tonk). Whether or not they're telling the truth is anyone's guess.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Ah but who listens to crazy eurobeat techno?

http://youtu.be/THzELTMzvbY

http://youtu.be/-OwOQ0TY2T4

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Those sound like some goblin jams

Like, probably one of those groups of goblins that have programmed a few warforged in their time

• Options
    I kinda just wanted an excuse to post mega nrg man.

Like, on a base level I know it's garbage...

But I can't not enjoy it.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    What listens to Prog Rock?

because whatever they are, I'll make my next character one

• Options
    Oh goodness I forgot about all of the religious mapping I did.

Spoiled for (highly specific to my interests) nerd shit.
    Okay, so there's several different religious structures. The Old Gods, the Young Gods, the Lords of Fey, the Elemental Sultans, and the Demonic Princes.

The Old Gods are a finite seven deities. Think of them as your traditional fantasy/mythology gods. They consist of Do, patron of the hunter and the hunted; Rei, goddess of the sun and storms; Mea, god of mirrors and magic; Fahr, the traveler god of trickery and fortune; Sol, the life weaver; She-Who-Follows-Sol, a death goddess referred to only in epithet; and Ti, the god of feasting and debauchery.

The Young Gods, in contrast to the Old Gods, are theoretically infinite. They consist of mortal men who were later deified. Obviously, some are more popular than others, and become prominent figures, but they don't create a pantheon in the same way as the Old Gods. The most notable feature of the Young Gods is a structure of deities, the Circle of 27, which is a highly popular mystery cult.

The Lords of Fey aren't really gods, but they're still very important. Obviously, much of their worship is from the assorted Fey races, but it's not really worship in the traditional sense. They consist of two courts, the Seelie Bactus, Baytovien, M'Zahr, Brahmus, and Chiuberr, and the Unseelie Chieux Pien, Shah Kovski, Vagnir, Vearti, and Hahn Dellius. While in the material plane, the Seelie Court is generally considered the dominant force, in the wildlands of Fey, things are in constant flux.

The Elemental Sultans are the great governing spirits of the elemental planes. Most elementals are creatures of pure instinct, but they are ruled by a class of highly intelligent nobility. They are as follows: Pictos, the Sultan of Air; Duratos, the Sultan of Earth; Tembri, the Sultana of Water; and Amplatus, the Sultan of Fire.

And then there are the demon princes. Nobody in their right mind will worship the demon princes, but they are still a powerful force. There are countless legions of demons, but the most powerful four have names that are well known on the mortal plane: Emai, Zou-Ni, Ouarnebrus, and He Who Is The Universe. They're particularly detested by the tieflings, who broke free of their yoke centuries ago.

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    What listens to Prog Rock?

because whatever they are, I'll make my next character one

Eladrin, I believe. I know the Crimson King is a notable eladrin noble.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Blah, Eldarin are just boring elves.

• Options
    One of my big things with the setting was trying to make elves a race I could be interested in again. While part of the goal was to avoid changing races too much from their boilerplate definitions, I made a number of changes to elves and eladrin, and even more to goblins, hobgoblins, and shadar-kai.

The basic idea is that elves are not native to the material plane. Or weren't, originally. It's complicated. A few centuries back, the boundary between planes was severely ruptured on the border of Fey and the material plane, and the eladrin crossed over, using an alliance with the Beetle Empire to cement their foothold on the plane (and in the process, helping the Beetle Empire defeat a few other claimants to the throne of Roquinarol). At this point in time, the eladrin created a major empire on the continent of Baisse, installing the Stardust Emperor in perpetuity. He brought over their slave castes of goblins and hobgoblins, also descended from the fey, some of which escaped to the south of the continent to form their own civilizations. Meanwhile, the eladrin Yokono was partially responsible for the breakup of the Beetle Empire, which split into the four human kingdoms that it remains to this day.

And the thing is, elves didn't exist at this point in time. All of the Stardust Emperor's forces had been eladrin. But the children of eladrin on the material plane were not eladrin, they were elves. And some eladrin were even reported to turn back into elves, having been away from Fey for too long. Many of the eladrin, at this point, retreated back to their ancestral homeland, fearing the dangers of the material world, and elves became the prominent race of the Stardust Empire.

• Options

Ambient or minimalist music, probably. Think Phillip Glass or Brian Eno.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I listen to European techno all the time

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Ambient or minimalist music, probably. Think Phillip Glass or Brian Eno.

Brian Eno that is a name I haven't heard in a very long time.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Koyaanisqatsi on repeat

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    They'd listen to Phaeleh and Entheogenic and shit like that

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWu4ieBqGFg

Exactly the kind of thing I picture Shardminds writing.

They appreciate each individual note and space them out to enjoy the vibrations or whatever. They don't care about "emotion" in music.

• Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    What would be the main themes of dwarven blues?

I got me a woman, she braids her beard so fine?

I'm sure "this mine will be the death of me" shows up fairly often, too.

Oh, and double entendres about tunneling deep.

This discussion has been closed.