Options

Chrono [Chat]ter!

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    it gets better atomika

a few more months and you can get them on a nap schedule and get some free time back

then they start sleeping through the night and it's amazing and you can do all the things

then they start crawling/walking and you lose some of the freedom

then they stop napping and you lose even more

then you move them out of their crib into a toddler bed and they start coming into your room at night and it's back to square 1 lololol

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I remember the first couple of months the bab was just kinda like

eat, sleep, poop, cry, repeat

if it was crying, probably the diaper is wet or it is hungry or maybe it is just babby?????

I think at like 4 months we did the sleep thing where you let them cry themselves to sleep for a few nights in a row and they figure out how to self soothe and that night time is for sleeping and then things got better

maybe we will try that earlier this time

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    @Donkey Kong‌ i can bring my work laptop home tomorrow if you want to look at it and poke around a little. it's shockingly nice for a dell

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    my laptop specs:

Screen Size 17.30 inches
    Processor 2.50 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM 16 GB
    Hard Drive 1128 GB
    Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
    Expand
    Other Technical Details
    Brand Name MSI
    Series GT72
    Hardware Platform PC
    Operating System windows 8
    Item Weight
    Expand
    Summary
    Screen Size 17.30 inches
    Processor 2.50 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM 16 GB
    Hard Drive 1128 GB
    Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
    Expand
    Other Technical Details
    Brand Name MSI
    Series GT72
    Hardware Platform PC
    Operating System windows 8
    Item Weight 8.4 pounds
    Item Dimensions L x W x H 16.85 x 11.57 x 1.89 inches
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Count 4
    Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
    Hard Drive Interface Solid State, Serial ATA
    Optical Drive Type BD-RW
    Item Dimensions L x W x H 16.85 x 11.57 x 1.89 inches
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Count 4
    Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
    Hard Drive Interface Solid State, Serial ATA
    Optical Drive Type BD-RW

• Options
    it is kinda amazing how little I remember about taking care of a teensy bab, actually

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    classy ppl use apple, refer to when @syndalis and i were working out of that coffee shop the other day

everyone had macbook or ipad (including us, obvi)
    except for that one lady

poo
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    guys

halp

how do i babby

for the first ~6 months you keep it clean and fed and wait for it to get interesting rather than just cute

This first six months might lead me to a nervous breakdown

Exhaustion? Our babby just turned 1 (and our older boy just turned 13) and is still causing lack of sleep.

What kind of things are causing difficulty?

Just not being able to get anything done.

The baby is awake every day between 8 am and 4 pm, but needs constant watching and handling and calming.

It takes me over an hour to eat lunch at my desk

I haven't watched tv or played games in four months

i didn't even get through this post without having to tend to babby

oh, yeah that is true. Now to be honest the missus takes the overwhelming brunt of this at our house (she is a stay at home mom) but what she did is find ways to relax or play a game or whatever while holding the babby in order to stay sane.

1) Play games on your phone while the babby is on your lap napping or nursing or whatevs. Just give up on trying to use a desktop or laptop for now.
    2) Turn based console games. Stuff like Might and Magic Clash on Heroes on XBLA (good game) or Puzzle Quest. Get used to using a 360 controller one handed. If the babby is sleeping maybe something more in depth.
    3) Reading. Especially reading on the phone.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    16 year old lol more like 61 year old

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Still more portable than a note 4 though

• Options
    also yes one of the great things about that age is babby stays where you leave it

put babby in cradle thing, take a shower, nbd

put babby on bed, fold some clothes, return and bab is still there!

no talking back or yelling NO all the time

oh man

those sweet summer days

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    there is something to be said for build construction

like i have to deal with Lenovo. their X1 machines have nearly the hardware of an entry level MBP. Of course the keyboard breaks all the time and the screen will crack if you pick up by the top part more than a handful of times.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    On Friday I have a date.

On Saturday I'm going to take a journey with some real fun guys.

I've become jaded enough that I am much more excited about Saturday. Which is to say I'm SUPER excited for Saturday and kinda meh about Friday.

Entirely reasonable

• Options
    if i had to get a portable windows device, surface pro 3 hands downnnn

poo
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    omg, gots me a date wednesday and i just found out the protomen are playing in austin tomorrow night

i have not seen them yet but i hear they kill it live!!

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh‌
    Sports and superstition go hand-in-hand but when that superstition starts costing real people actual dollars than perhaps its time to pump the brakes on the crazy. That’s the sitch with San Francisco Radio stations 96.5 KOIT and KFOG Radio, who have put a temporary ban of Lorde smash single Royals.

Yep, there’ll be fewer royalties from Royals coming Lorde’s way while local baseball team The San Francisco Giants compete in the World Series against the Kansas City Royals. What’s the connection? KMBC reports it because Royals is inspired by retired Kansas City Royals third baseman George Brett.

That’s right. KFOG Radio and 96.5 KOIT have pulled Royals from rotation, until the end of the World Series, not wanting to give Kanas City any kind of psychological advantage over their hometown heroes. It’s an out-there move with, probably, no supporting evidence to back it up. But, hey, this is sports, not science.

i love this kind of shit.

also, holy crap, the Royals are in the world series. Maybe the Astros will get another shot at it in 20 years or so.

wait, what the fuck? "Royals" the song has something to do with George Brett?
    wiki wrote:
    Lorde had thought of writing a song about the luxury of pop musicians after seeing an image in the July 1976 edition of National Geographic showing Kansas City Royals baseball player George Brett[8] signing baseballs, with his team's name emblazoned across his shirt – Lorde recalled during a September 3, 2013 VH1 interview, "It was just that word. It's really cool."

hahaha I had totally missed this, wow

The real question is why was Lorde browsing through Nat Geos that are like 20 years older than her.

there are people on the internet who vociferously adhere to a conspiracy theory that Lorde is lying about her age

that she's not actually 17, she references things things that a 17 year old couldn't possibly know (you know, without having the fucking internet and too much free time) and just look at her, look at her!

that is basically their argument

and they feel like this is some great fraud being pulled on music, like she's actually some 45 year old woman masquerading as a 17 year old and everyone else is believing the lie

Even if it was the case, fraud? It'd be an amusing stunt, and she wouldn't be the first person to lie about her age.

She's secretly got the olds oh nooooo

c'mon.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    High End Asus and MSI gaming laptops have incredible construction. MSI is usually mostly aluminum bodied, asus is reaaalllly thick heavy plastic and aluminum.

They are boat anchors but they are solid as fuck

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    also yes one of the great things about that age is babby stays where you leave it

put babby in cradle thing, take a shower, nbd

put babby on bed, fold some clothes, return and bab is still there!

no talking back or yelling NO all the time

oh man

those sweet summer days

definitely get one of these Atomika: http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Swing-Portable-Little-Hoot/dp/B00AO083M8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1413831281&sr=8-3&keywords=baby+swing

Our baby loved that for the first 6 months or so

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Wash wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Wash wrote: »
    Echo why does that man keep putting stuff on his head?

It's the King of Sweden.

bbYd9Oa.png

He is my new hero

islZPFd.jpg

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    guys

halp

how do i babby

for the first ~6 months you keep it clean and fed and wait for it to get interesting rather than just cute

This first six months might lead me to a nervous breakdown

Exhaustion? Our babby just turned 1 (and our older boy just turned 13) and is still causing lack of sleep.

What kind of things are causing difficulty?

Just not being able to get anything done.

The baby is awake every day between 8 am and 4 pm, but needs constant watching and handling and calming.

It takes me over an hour to eat lunch at my desk

I haven't watched tv or played games in four months

i didn't even get through this post without having to tend to babby

Ok, not that it's any reassurance, but feeling overwhelmed is normal. Doing everything takes longer and takes more planning.

The tricks that worked for us were 'divide and conquer' - one of us would watch the baby while the other ran to the store / made dinner / etc. We planned everything around that, and would minimize any extra activity. Need to run to the store to get <blank>? Unless it's diapers / formula it's not going to happen. Eggos for dinner again.

Individual schedules are going to be a big part of it, but getting packed up and going places is one of the biggest time eaters. No more hopping out the door and doing something, so try and roll as many things into one trip (again, ideally while your partner takes care of the baby) to try and minimize trips out.

Don't be afraid to go the easy route on food. Breakfast for dinner, microwave / frozen food, fast food / takeout, etc. You can eat relatively crappy for six months until things stabilize then get back on track. If you do cook, make big meals and save leftovers to warm up and eat when you can.

Our daughter had trouble sleeping for more than a half hour at a time unless someone was holding her. I could doze off in seconds, but my wife couldn't get rest. I would hold her and play computer games (mouse only games, cause other hand holding babby) for four hours a night. Got a lot of Civ in and my wife got rest.

Figure out things that work, and get settled into a routine. Don't expect to get much time to do things you want to do like TV / games for a while. It's ok, you'll adapt and find a way to squeeze those things back in later. Then feel guilty about it, but that's another topic.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    it is kinda amazing how little I remember about taking care of a teensy bab, actually

only way to convince you to get a 2nd one is for your brain to edit out the deets of the 1st

evolution make u think

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Sigh. Just went from 2 hours left in the work day to 5. I was so pumped to leave at 5 today. I should have lied and said I had something scheduled.

Boooo. I quit today.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    On Friday I have a date.

On Saturday I'm going to take a journey with some real fun guys.

I've become jaded enough that I am much more excited about Saturday. Which is to say I'm SUPER excited for Saturday and kinda meh about Friday.

Entirely reasonable

Hey, I'm pretty sure you know about these things.

In reference to the italicized part. Any general thoughts or tips or things one should know?

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Cripes, thanks for making me feel old, forum.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/badge/anniversary-old

:so_raven:
  • Options

Sleep deprivation. It's hard to form memories when you get three hours of sleep, and even that's interrupted every 45 minutes.

• Options
    i have a date tomorrow, i not terribly excited about
    i got coffee with this girl, idk, didn't seem like much connection, plus i was really tired and thus boring, but SHE wanted to go on another date so i was like okay

hm

well
    mb will give the d idk

i need to sleep tonight so i am functional though because right now i am not

gym was so terrible today ugh made me so sad since gym is like my fav thing in life right now

poo
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I wonder if Lorde is annoying to be around in person.

• Options
    I don't do any child rearing until babs is old enough to communicate basic non-verbal gestures

it is the shark way

• Options
    also guys, soylent is good and it makes me feel good

it is a success. won't replace all meals but def a thing when i don't have anything healthy or energy to make food

drink a nutritionally complete and balanced glass of stuff and boom done, i avoided eating shitty fast food and saved money/time

i recommend soylent... and you can flavor it as you want. it's like a vanilla milkshake at the start so you can do whatever you want to it.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    There is a van outside. It is liveried:

"Mental Rentals: A mental rate, from your rental mate"

Somebody likes wordplay, it seems

• Options

she's prob a total hipster

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    guys thanks for the advice

i don't think I'm terribly cut out for babbying

• Options
    also guys, soylent is good and it makes me feel good

it is a success. won't replace all meals but def a thing when i don't have anything healthy or energy to make food

drink a nutritionally complete and balanced glass of stuff and boom done, i avoided eating shitty fast food and saved money/time

i recommend soylent... and you can flavor it as you want. it's like a vanilla milkshake at the start so you can do whatever you want to it.

hrghhh yuck

though

i do supplement my diet with lots of protein shakes anyway so i guess that's not that different

i had pho for lunch tho it was tasty

poo
  • Options

have you checked the warranty/return policy

might not be too late

i know a guy <.<

• Options

There's this really inspirational parenting movie called "We Need to Talk About Kevin"

you should watch it assuage your fears

• Options
    also you can read comic book to bab

7633043822_875a1ff3ed.jpg

or leave bab with the hulk while you run errands

7673458998_838cc9a2f2.jpg

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

she's a teenager so probably a little

• Options
  • Options

Everyone feels that way. I'm pretty sure every parent has had at least one night sobbing 'just sleep, please, just sleep'.

Even the easiest baby, and a preemie is usually not going to be the easiest.

Don't be afraid to use your resources. Friends / family to get a break, and when you do get some time take a nap or go for a run or something that you need. Take turns giving each other a break if you can.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Internationally successful teenager, yeah, I'd say the odds are good.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    You're not Ludious

This discussion has been closed.