As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chrono [Chat]ter!

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Alright, class got out a little early.

Should I run errands, or take a quick nap?
    Got to be ready for a thingy at 6, and still have to get my hair did, do laundry, and take care of some other stuff.

On the other hand, am really tired and if I take a nap after I get my hair done, that will be a waste.

Coffee then errands?

Got no coffee. And I kind of want to time caffeine fueled alertness a bit closer to the thingy at 6.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    btw: I said Alienware first rather than a Surface Pro 3 because a surface has an integrated video chip rather than a good card like an alienware. My wife and I both have 14" alienware laptops that are about 3 years old now and work great.

Alienware might be a tough purchase because of their perception as gaming machines and neon lights. Also aren't they just Dell by another name?

I checked out Samsung's offerings and they look like they fell out of a butt. Slow, expensive, and I couldn't even find basic specs on their stupid website.

Surface 3 has nowhere near the power or size I need.

Donkey needs this in a portable form.

Deep_Blue.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I mean the surface pro 3 is a great device! I recommend it to people all the time.

That commercial would have been just as good if they put some snappy music in the background and walked through all the neat stuff it does.

As it stands if I glanced at a muted TV running that ad, I would see the apple laptop on screen for more of the commercial.

I'm a fan of any photoshop based advertising. I'm looking for a graphic design laptop and I guess that just means I need to grab something that is on the "gaming" side of the spectrum? It's generally confusing. I don't want some bleeding edge hyper machine, just something that can run illustrator.

Both Blameless Cleric and I do various kinds of digital art and run big mean looking programs to do it, and I've found sticking to "will it run DA:I on max settings?" gets me a far better answer for the hardware I really want than trying to explain what I need to do with Photoshop.

So, in my experience, yes...go gamer.

anything would be better than the 2006 macbook pro I have haha. I do 90% of my stuff on my desktop but the idea of being able to do stuff on the go definitely seems nice.

Lenovo y50 looks to be my kind of jam...maybe black friday I can make some magic happen.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    btw: I said Alienware first rather than a Surface Pro 3 because a surface has an integrated video chip rather than a good card like an alienware. My wife and I both have 14" alienware laptops that are about 3 years old now and work great.

Alienware might be a tough purchase because of their perception as gaming machines and neon lights. Also aren't they just Dell by another name?

I checked out Samsung's offerings and they look like they fell out of a butt. Slow, expensive, and I couldn't even find basic specs on their stupid website.

yeah "alienware" is a sub-brand of dell. They have better construction and actual video cards compared to other dell sub-brands. When we got ours they were the best price for an i7 with an actual video card of any PC brand.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    "the masses who use apple"
    huehuheuhuehue

in the high end computer space it is absolutely true.

People spending north of a thousand bucks on a computer have something north of 80% of all sales towards Apple.

And this is the space the surface is competing in.

Even the low end space for Apple pushes a $1000 price point, where if you get over a grand for a PC you're looking at a corporate or gaming machine.

For laptops I don't think there is as much difference between them at the low end. At the high end a fully tricked out mac is still a big price jump over a comparable alienware or some such though.

I've been speccing this stuff out high end laptops for an hour or so. There's a wealth of PCs on the market, but once you get the specs aligned, there's at most a $200 premium on Apple. And Apple's not even the most expensive sometimes.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Also when you hold the pen close to the screen a cursor shows up, which is rad.

Yeah stuff like this is why you need a battery in the pen. It has a transmitter and isn't just a nub for the touchscreen. Can do fancy stuff.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh‌
    Sports and superstition go hand-in-hand but when that superstition starts costing real people actual dollars than perhaps its time to pump the brakes on the crazy. That’s the sitch with San Francisco Radio stations 96.5 KOIT and KFOG Radio, who have put a temporary ban of Lorde smash single Royals.

Yep, there’ll be fewer royalties from Royals coming Lorde’s way while local baseball team The San Francisco Giants compete in the World Series against the Kansas City Royals. What’s the connection? KMBC reports it because Royals is inspired by retired Kansas City Royals third baseman George Brett.

That’s right. KFOG Radio and 96.5 KOIT have pulled Royals from rotation, until the end of the World Series, not wanting to give Kanas City any kind of psychological advantage over their hometown heroes. It’s an out-there move with, probably, no supporting evidence to back it up. But, hey, this is sports, not science.

i love this kind of shit.

also, holy crap, the Royals are in the world series. Maybe the Astros will get another shot at it in 20 years or so.

wait, what the fuck? "Royals" the song has something to do with George Brett?
    wiki wrote:
    Lorde had thought of writing a song about the luxury of pop musicians after seeing an image in the July 1976 edition of National Geographic showing Kansas City Royals baseball player George Brett[8] signing baseballs, with his team's name emblazoned across his shirt – Lorde recalled during a September 3, 2013 VH1 interview, "It was just that word. It's really cool."

hahaha I had totally missed this, wow

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    guys

halp

how do i babby

for the first ~6 months you keep it clean and fed and wait for it to get interesting rather than just cute

This first six months might lead me to a nervous breakdown

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Jacobkosh‌
    Sports and superstition go hand-in-hand but when that superstition starts costing real people actual dollars than perhaps its time to pump the brakes on the crazy. That’s the sitch with San Francisco Radio stations 96.5 KOIT and KFOG Radio, who have put a temporary ban of Lorde smash single Royals.

Yep, there’ll be fewer royalties from Royals coming Lorde’s way while local baseball team The San Francisco Giants compete in the World Series against the Kansas City Royals. What’s the connection? KMBC reports it because Royals is inspired by retired Kansas City Royals third baseman George Brett.

That’s right. KFOG Radio and 96.5 KOIT have pulled Royals from rotation, until the end of the World Series, not wanting to give Kanas City any kind of psychological advantage over their hometown heroes. It’s an out-there move with, probably, no supporting evidence to back it up. But, hey, this is sports, not science.

also, holy crap, the Royals are in the world series. Maybe the Astros will get another shot at it in 20 years or so.

wiki wrote:
    Lorde had thought of writing a song about the luxury of pop musicians after seeing an image in the July 1976 edition of National Geographic showing Kansas City Royals baseball player George Brett[8] signing baseballs, with his team's name emblazoned across his shirt – Lorde recalled during a September 3, 2013 VH1 interview, "It was just that word. It's really cool."

They should play the shit out of this during the playoffs at KC.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    seriously this is awful

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    guys

halp

how do i babby

put food in one end

clean the poop out the other

dont get the two ends mixed up

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    but can it make sick beatz?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    jaaacob you should get on gtaaalk

• Options
    guys

halp

how do i babby

for the first ~6 months you keep it clean and fed and wait for it to get interesting rather than just cute

Exhaustion? Our babby just turned 1 (and our older boy just turned 13) and is still causing lack of sleep.

What kind of things are causing difficulty?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Donkey needs this in a portable form.

Deep_Blue.jpg

At some point I'm gonna do a write up of the SAGE system. Which started out as a flight sim, became the air defense network for the US then part of the FAA system and eventually morphed in to SABRE which begat Hotwire, Priceline and the rest of their ilk.

But it ran on these.

roP7kB8.jpg

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I love my new laptop but its a 17" behemoth

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    seriously this is awful

It gets better, really. Within a few months things smooth out and you can't really remember how rough it is.

Otherwise, why would anyone have more than one kid before getting snipped?

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »

I think a picture was posted by Chelle.

It looks huge.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    On Friday I have a date.

On Saturday I'm going to take a journey with some real fun guys.

I've become jaded enough that I am much more excited about Saturday. Which is to say I'm SUPER excited for Saturday and kinda meh about Friday.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    @Jacobkosh‌

wiki wrote:

The real question is why was Lorde browsing through Nat Geos that are like 20 years older than her.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    seriously this is awful

Is this your sprout or someone else's you're caring for?
    Age?
    Issues?

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »

17s are hefty yeah. I've found that 14" is the largest I can use on the bus so stick to that (13" is better when available).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh‌

wiki wrote:

The real question is why was Lorde browsing through Nat Geos that are like 20 years older than her.

Boobs.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    seriously this is awful

getting into a routine will help

also if you are stressing over "is this normal?" type things finding a new mom's group in your area (try meetup.com or facebook) can be really helpful

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Guys I know what I need, it's the $2500 Macbook Pro but they won't let my buy Apple. Maybe I should just throw a tantrum. Hold my breath until my boss buys me a mac.

• Options
    @Jacobkosh‌

wiki wrote:

if she's anything like me, she was at a swap meet

I always used to go to swap meets and flea markets and come home with giant stacks of old Nat Geos and Reader's Digests

• Options
    seriously this is awful

It gets better, really. Within a few months things smooth out and you can't really remember how rough it is.

yes

why would anyone do that

>.>

<.<

• Options
    @Jacobkosh‌

wiki wrote:

if she's anything like me, she was at a swap meet

I always used to go to swap meets and flea markets and come home with giant stacks of old Nat Geos and Reader's Digests

When I worked for half price books we would get mountains of them. They were the only magazines that went into the donate to Africa boxes.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Guys I know what I need, it's the $2500 Macbook Pro but they won't let my buy Apple. Maybe I should just throw a tantrum. Hold my breath until my boss buys me a mac.

I WONT GO BACK TO CHINA UNTIL I GET A MAAAAAAAAAAAAAC

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    seriously this is awful

what is the problem

• Options
    guys

halp

how do i babby

Exhaustion? Our babby just turned 1 (and our older boy just turned 13) and is still causing lack of sleep.

What kind of things are causing difficulty?

Just not being able to get anything done.

The baby is awake every day between 8 am and 4 pm, but needs constant watching and handling and calming.

It takes me over an hour to eat lunch at my desk

I haven't watched tv or played games in four months

i didn't even get through this post without having to tend to babby

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh‌

wiki wrote:

there are people on the internet who vociferously adhere to a conspiracy theory that Lorde is lying about her age

that she's not actually 17, she references things things that a 17 year old couldn't possibly know (you know, without having the fucking internet and too much free time) and just look at her, look at her!

that is basically their argument

and they feel like this is some great fraud being pulled on music, like she's actually some 45 year old woman masquerading as a 17 year old and everyone else is believing the lie

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    P10 wrote: »
    that 13% is in the u.s only
    it's like 6-7% globally from what i can find

and if you want to talk about apple products being high end i'm just going to be sad

Well, they are high end products in the way that a german engineered car is a high end car.

Fit, finish, and attention to user experience are important metrics for some people, and they pay more for these things, and apple supplies that market well.

I also have a feeling the Apple percentage globally for computers costing 1000USD+ is nearly as impressive as the US one. There are very few companies out there trying to make quality, luxury computing devices.

Microsoft did with the Surface Pro 3.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    seriously this is awful

yes

why would anyone do that

>.>

<.<

Our plan was to have two. The whole 'no plan survives contact with the enemy' adage.

Seriously though, by the time they are a year or two old, the idea of going through all that again is terrifying.

• Options
    @Jacobkosh‌

wiki wrote:

This is what happens when we ascribe even the most basic depth of thought to the output of 16 year olds!

• Options
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    seriously this is awful

Is this your sprout or someone else's you're caring for?
    Age?
    Issues?

mine

ten weeks old

but seven weeks premature

• Options
    seriously this is awful

yes

why would anyone do that

>.>

<.<

Our plan was to have two. The whole 'no plan survives contact with the enemy' adage.

Seriously though, by the time they are a year or two old, the idea of going through all that again is terrifying.

hehehehe

we have 3. oldest is not even 3.5.

*insane cackling intensifies*

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

the dell latitude 7000 series are actually kind of nice. i have a specced-out 7440 at work, which is about as functional as something between an MBA and MBP and roughly the price of an MBA and and MBP put together.

ofc dell continues to have the worst website since geocities so good luck tracking down the information you need.

Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.