Options

One does not simply have a Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor game!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    This game has gotten weird for me.. It's like a fishtank now.

I just keep speeding time forward to watch all the interactions between dominated and sauron orcs. I only really play anything when a new guy gets promoted to captain, and that's just to find some intel on him.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I wish there was an easier way to find defeated captains. Unless I'm missing something. I have one single captain that I've defeated twice and he keeps surviving and I can't find him anywhere.

I know he's shambling around somewhere because nobody gets promoted there. I've combed every fort and stronghold twice.

I think this game has a "Worst Possible Time" algorithm, where previously-defeated enemies always show up when you're half-dead and already surrounded by orc captains.

So go after a warchief and see what happens.

Argh I own literally everybody else. Guess I'll have to take down one of my guys.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I had to do a cleansing yesterday. Game loses some luster once you own everybody.

I'm thinking of trying a new game on hard mode by only taking perks that are required by the story and not upgrading.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Yeah I should do a cleansing. I just grow attached to some of those ugly mugs. I built most of them from nothing.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    I had a crack Warchief assassination squad, but they all got promoted to Warchiefs themselves so I had to "retire" most of them. I kind of wish branded bodyguards wouldn't abandon their warchief for promotions, but things might get a little too stagnant if that was the case.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    I had to do a cleansing yesterday. Game loses some luster once you own everybody.

I'm thinking of trying a new game on hard mode by only taking perks that are required by the story and not upgrading.

Maybe it'll be different for you, but this didn't change much for me.

Like, I didn't take vault stun, counter stun, shadow kill, any health upgrades, only one elf shot, only one focus, no double charge ability, no hit counter decrease, no double or triple hit counter gain, and stopped advancing the story once I unlocked Numenor so I didn't get brand. Dying was still a rarity, and whenever I did, it just felt annoying because I knew it was because I was limiting myself, rather than any difficulty in the game.

God this game needs a difficulty slider.

• Options
    BlueshiftBlueshift Registered User regular
    Blueshift wrote: »
    I've just had a hell of a time running around branding every single captain and warchiefs but.. how do you get them all in once place? I want to see the fruits of my labor, dammit!

Best you can do is like that video and make every captain the bodyguard of the same dude.

Woah woah woah back it up. You can choose which people are bodyguards? Is that as labor intensive as it sounds or is there a quick way to do it that doesn't involve waiting/killing/waiting/killing?

• Options
    I've just had a hell of a time running around branding every single captain and warchiefs but.. how do you get them all in once place? I want to see the fruits of my labor, dammit!

Best you can do is like that video and make every captain the bodyguard of the same dude.

Woah woah woah back it up. You can choose which people are bodyguards? Is that as labor intensive as it sounds or is there a quick way to do it that doesn't involve waiting/killing/waiting/killing?

...There's a story mission that shows you how. You dominate a dude and give him the command to be a bodyguard of a war chief you select. You then get a mission pop up that you have to help him win, at which point he becomes a bodyguard.

• Options
    BlueshiftBlueshift Registered User regular

...There's a story mission that shows you how. You dominate a dude and give him the command to be a bodyguard of a war chief you select. You then get a mission pop up that you have to help him win, at which point he becomes a bodyguard.

Gotcha. I stopped doing story missions right after the one where you get brand. I'll get back into it. Thanks!

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Taking the game nice and slow as I haven't had much gaming time these past few weeks. I just unlocked the second area but haven't entered yet as I still have a lot to get done in the first area. 15 hours played. Super happy with that time investment, none of it has felt like filler except perhaps the plant-hunting missions (but I haven't actively tried to complete them so wevs) and this is the first game I've ever wanted to 100%. Definitely my GOTY so far.

Also, was doing a weapon mission last night in a stronghold. I pulled myself up from hanging off a ledge behind an Orc just as the sun was peeking over the top of the horizon, causing some pretty crazy lens flare. Ahead of me, the Orc lifted his hand to shield his eyes from the sun. That's some pretty crazy attention to detail right there and I keep encountering little things like this that make me think "Man, these guys thought of everything".

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I too just hit the second area in-game. Really fun taking control of underlings and staging revolts.
    I had one Warchief who refused to die. I took control of his one bodyguard and staged a betrayal. I didn't realize the bastard had Fear of Betrayal (along with combat awareness and ranged immunity). He immediately booked it the fuck out of the base and into the hillside. I leap over some uruks and dash after him. I chase for easily 4 minutes before I catch up. As I whittle him down using Wraith Flash, other uruks appear. I pay them no mind but suddenly...
    I get tagged by a new Captain with the 'No Second Chances' perk with a crossbow, and take an arrow in the face. Instant death, the Warchief 'beats' my Branded guy, and asshole archer levels up.

This fucking game...

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    http://shadowofmordor.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:MonolithAndy/Return_to_Mordor_More_Powerful_Than_Ever
    Today, we’re proud to announce the brand new FREE Power of Shadow DLC pack, including the playable Black Hand of Sauron skin, and three new Runes:

One with Nature – Immunity to Poison attacks from Uruk Captains or Ghuls.
    Ascendant – Double Focus Time for slow motion Ranged combat.
    Elven Grace – Increased defense which halves the damage of enemy strikes.

Prepare to put these to use in this weekend’s Test of Wisdom Challenge.

Download the Power of Shadow today for Xbox One, and soon for PlayStation 4 and Steam!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I don't want to seem ungracious about free DLC, but isn't there already a rune that grants you immunity from poison?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I don't want to seem ungracious about free DLC, but isn't there already a rune that grants you immunity from poison?

All 3 of those runes are already in the game. I have the other two, but not the poison one.

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    I probably should have known better, but don't google 'Manfilth'

unless you're into that sort of thing

• Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    Is the new skin on Steam yet? If so, how do I access it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    C6BFBF4971C5BFF9406CBDCA763EA7DCC6834E11

Yeah the new skin is in.

Go to My Games tab, click on the view DLC and double click it to make it install that way.

Edit: To access go to the Main Menu --> Save Slots --> Change Skins

Karoz on
  • Options
    I wonder how long before the preorder DLC is up.. Next time I play through the game, I want that swanky dark ranger cloak.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    What's the best strategy to this "brand 5 War Chiefs" agenda they have you doing via story missions? I'm having a hell of a time setting up the right people to get this done.

I really want to beat this game and send it back to GameFly tomorrow but I'm not sure if there's anything else I'm really missing here. Is it just more of the same from this point on?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I know this'll never happen, but I'd love to play as an Uruk, customisable, that way you could fight other orcs and humans.

• Options
    By the time I actually got around to the "brand 5 warchiefs" mission, I had done all the side stuff and had every other orc in my pocket; so I'd just do the warchief mission, combat brand all the orcs that got summoned, and we'd be up on the warchief until I could dominate him.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    What's the best strategy to this "brand 5 War Chiefs" agenda they have you doing via story missions? I'm having a hell of a time setting up the right people to get this done.

I really want to beat this game and send it back to GameFly tomorrow but I'm not sure if there's anything else I'm really missing here. Is it just more of the same from this point on?

Step one is to brand or kill the bodyguards, then just have a branded bodyguard betray the warchief to get him out in the open. If the warchief has a fear you can exploit you can brand him pretty easily, otherwise just kill him and have a branded bodyguard take his place.

After getting all the warchiefs branded there are just a few more story missions.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »

I just branded a captain, promoted him to bodyguard, then had him betray his warchief.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I just want my Nazgul skin.

Gimme my Nazgul skin.

I will settle for Witch-King of Angamar, however.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The Witch-King was a Nazgûl!

In a lot of ways, I wish that if this game was set in the Second Age instead. I think that it'd be a better storyline to have the first act of the game set as Sauron has just forged the One Ring, and you play a character stuck behind the new enemy lines. Perhaps in Dol Amroth, where you have elves and men both, but which is barely touched in the books and movies. At the end of the first act, you're approached by a sympathetic stranger who offers you a Ring of Power to fight Sauron with; if you don't take it, another major human character with you does. In the second act, either you gain wraith powers or the other companion does. In the third act, depending on whether or not you took the ring, you either become a Nazgûl and spend the rest of the game working for Sauron, or you fight against your former companion.

Link in an elven love interest to whomever doesn't take the ring and you could tie it into the line leading to Prince Imrahil; it's an area where Tolkien came to no definite ideas, and so it's as free as anything. Have the story be narrated by one of the elves to a young Prince Imrahil, and then allow the player to pick their gender and customize their character.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Tried out some of the dlc. They're basically open world time challenges; the speed one had you kill 5 captains and a warchief. If you do it in 15 minutes, don't die more than 3 times and beat a certain score, you get into the "elite" scoreboard. Wisdom is the same thing, but you have to kill all 20 captains and 5 warchiefs. 50 minutes, 1 death, and a certain point total for elite status.

You get to take your single player progress with you and captains still drop runes you can keep (and bring into the campaign). Overall, they're pretty fun. I'm just made the power went out when I was like 7 captains into one run. :p

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Another photo!
    "You're next."10603900_10154711399270463_8694198289568386251_o_zpsa23bf59f.jpg

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Picked this up yesterday and have been playing the hell out of it ever since. Super fun game. The parkour and sneaking mechanics in particular are hilariously better than any of the Assassin's Creed games.

I'd go so far to say that these guys potentially missed out on creating a new franchise entirely. If anything, the LotR stuff just bogs it down.

• Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    I'd go so far to say that these guys potentially missed out on creating a new franchise entirely. If anything, the LotR stuff just bogs it down.

I still think the Nemesis system cries out for a Warhammer setting. Fantasy or 40K, both would work.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Roshin wrote: »

I still think the Nemesis system cries out for a Warhammer setting. Fantasy or 40K, both would work.

Absolutely. Would bloomin' love that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I could try this game a little today. Some quick train of thought impressions: The combat seems very much Batman. The controls are going to bother me for a while, since running on A is just so unnatural to me and Talion handles weirdly. Caragors seem to be a bloody pain in the behind, and I guess they'll remain so until I learn to dodge them correctly. Killed something like three captains, I expect they will become harder in the future.

Also, I get the feeling that this game is going to annoy me lorewise, isn't it.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Rumor is that, early in development, this WAS a Batman game, but licenses shifted and the game was reworked/refocused to be a LotR game, but a lot of the core gameplay remained.

And yeah, the lore will likely annoy you. There might be some nice moments in the artifacts, but the story will probably not sit well.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I just picked this up to take some time off from Destiny. Anything I should know at the start?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I could try this game a little today. Some quick train of thought impressions: The combat seems very much Batman. The controls are going to bother me for a while, since running on A is just so unnatural to me and Talion handles weirdly. Caragors seem to be a bloody pain in the behind, and I guess they'll remain so until I learn to dodge them correctly. Killed something like three captains, I expect they will become harder in the future.

Also, I get the feeling that this game is going to annoy me lorewise, isn't it.

Caragors, yeah they are a pain. When it gives you the A prompt just realize that you still need to pick how dodge out of the way, it does not do that automatically so you can easily just end up dodging into their attack.

Lore, they've done their homework which shows in some of the artifact memories but if you think about the plot overall too hard then you're going to have a bad time. The game was just so much fun I could turn off the purist in me and later have fun trying to figure out how it could be justified lorewise. It doesn't fit but hopefully that doesn't rob you of too much fun.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I just picked this up to take some time off from Destiny. Anything I should know at the start?

Certain abilities are locked behind story progression. Don't spend too much time just murdering orcs, you'll want to unlock some cool stuff.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I finished reading The Hobbit y yesterday. Was off sick from work and completely and utterly got lost in Bilbos adventure. Don't think I've ever r read a book so quickly! On to the Lord of the Rings!

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    How do I interrogate? It keeps showing me intel holders, but I don't seem to have any options to interact with them besides stabbing.

Aha, got it. I need to hold R1 to keep the grab, instead of releasing it.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    How do I interrogate? It keeps showing me intel holders, but I don't seem to have any options to interact with them besides stabbing.

On PS4 hold down R2 and keep it held, you'll grab them and then get options in the bottom right to kill, shank or to interrogate.

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    On PS4 it's R1, and once you've grabbed them you can let go of the button.