Options

STEAM, a backlog story.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm just amazed that they don't allow for five player groups. It really shows that "esports" mentality they are chasing where they'd rather get rid of a possible collusion exploit where a group can farm xp together than provide a pretty fun way for a group of people to play together.

Yeah, that's superdumb. Maybe once their e-sports dream tanks, they'll build it for the actual playerbase/community

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I usually do 4 player standard maps. gives you a good amount of room

All 8 factions or bust for me.

There are options dictating how far away everyone starts from eachother, ehich does help.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    I usually do 4 player standard maps. gives you a good amount of room

All 8 factions or bust for me.

There are options dictating how far away everyone starts from eachother, ehich does help.

I think those were what I was thinking of.

Also, have we already giggled over all the funny tooltips for the main difficulty settings?

Normal difficulty is something about the US still being a colony if the Brits had been that good.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I like what Turtle Rock is trying to do with Evolve, but I just don't think the whole thing comes together for a long-term enjoyable game.

Not as long as there will only be the "Hunt" gamemode; the game will need more variety for sure

A "breed" gamemode in which four male monsters must compete to win the affections of a female.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I like what Turtle Rock is trying to do with Evolve, but I just don't think the whole thing comes together for a long-term enjoyable game.

Not as long as there will only be the "Hunt" gamemode; the game will need more variety for sure

A "breed" gamemode in which four male monsters must compete to win the affections of a female.

Each human eaten gives you a +1 to your plumage rating.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Has anything ever been developed with the intention of being big as an esport and then turned out to be so?

• Options
    Has anything ever been developed with the intention of being big as an esport and then turned out to be so?

Starcraft 2

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    There needs to be some encouragement for more early game skirmishes in Evolve. As it is it's run away until you hit level 2+Armour then you can destroy the hunters. The shield dome is entirely about forcing a fight rather than preventing an escape after a fight. If you pass a Mammoth Sloth or whatever they're called, the characters ask if they can lure the monster nearby like it might be possible, but the answer is "no" cause the monster is busy jumping around eating Mammoth Birds and Evolving so they can throw that big fuckoff rock at us harder. Almost every game I've played has been cat and mouse until the monster thinks it can kill us all/gets to level 3 then we fight.

All that said, I've had fun. 15 minutes of chase for 2 minutes of fight isn't what i got out of every game, just most of them.

• Options
    Other than something piggybacking on the existing success of a franchise (not that that even always works).

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

DOTA 2, perhaps?

And various competitive fighting games, of course.

Mostly just iterative things, where the original game is already bigish in those circles so they design the next one to cater more to them.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Starcraft 2

Didn't really have the staying power of SC1 though, it's been eclipsed by MOBAs. Or at least it feels like it. I wonder what the actually numbers are.

• Options
    My in depth research involves squinting at http://www.esportsearnings.com/games which might be as accurate as tea leaves for all I know.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    What?
    The scene is definitely bigger than SC1, there was no e-sports sc1 (did I mention that I hate that term) outside of Korea

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    It did pretty well early on but has indeed been eclipsed by Mobas.

Heroes of the Storm becoming its own thing instead of a StarCraft mod is not an accident.

• Options
    Is Blizzard shooting for the competitive scene with that though? I have no alpha access, but it seems very simplified in comparison

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is finally out!

ITS OUT ITS OUT IT-

3a2Zmx8.gif

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So GTA5 is getting a first-person mode and on the PC, it gets 4K support.

I'm struggling to imagine the kind of PC you'd need to run GTA5 in 4K, but there you go.

Oh and the first-person mode looks insane.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So what would the esport format for evolve even be? Teams of 5 where you have your 4 hunters vs the other team's monster and vice versa?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    I need to finish my first real game of Endless Legend. Playing on Newbie as Cultists on a 6 player standard pangaea. I'm rolling the AI pretty easily with my comparably huge armies, all generated from my converted minor villages. I was pursuing the faction quest until I just hit a roadblock--the starting hero needs to be level 9, and I need two level 6 preachers. I'm nowhere close.

Gonna continue domination and hope that I level up high enough before I run out of faces to stomp. The urge to start a new game is strong, and in fact I've rolled a couple starts just to check out other factions for a couple of turns, but I feel like I gotta finish this playthrough in good faith!

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    holy shit wow

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Is Blizzard shooting for the competitive scene with that though? I have no alpha access, but it seems very simplified in comparison

My understanding is that yes, they want to make it a competitive thing.

Which confuses the shit out of me, but there it is.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    When the best thing about your MOBA is the tie in webcomic that isn't super surprising

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Is the comic going away too? I know people in the crumblics thread love it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I want to encourage new and exciting developments in game design, but at the same time, any MOBA that tries to compete with the double-team of Valve and Riot better have a plan beyond "our own flavor of MOBA."

Everyone wants that fat cash Valve and Riot are getting, but I really don't think it's possible at this point. It's the next version of the attempt to clone the success of World of Warcraft.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Oh, lawl. I was researching all the +XP on unit creation buildings, and once I finally built them and made some new Preachers, they were level 6 right away. And my starting hero hit level 9 just working as a governor--he was gaining XP way faster than the game indicated he would, for some reason.

Cultists faction quest continue!

• Options
    http://youtu.be/51664odrYIc

Lookin preeeetty good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I want to encourage new and exciting developments in game design, but at the same time, any MOBA that tries to compete with the double-team of Valve and Riot better have a plan beyond "our own flavor of MOBA."

Everyone wants that fat cash Valve and Riot are getting, but I really don't think it's possible at this point. It's the next version of the attempt to clone the success of World of Warcraft.

smite has already raised over a million bucks for their big tournament via in game purchases

it's obviously not as big as dota or league, but it has kinda blown up over the past year to become a pretty big deal

• Options

Nah

Smite and Storm are really different

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Yeahhhh, I feel pretty good about waiting on FC4. It looks good but not really too different from 3.

• Options
    Yeahhhh, I feel pretty good about waiting on FC4. It looks good but not really too different from 3.

if the story is good then it will be an amazing game instead of just the amazing mechanical experience of 3

• Options
    Oh yeah I'm gonna wait till it inevitably gets 20 bucks knocked off on Amazon in December or January

It looks good but with Unity, CoD, Dragon Age, The Crew, Persona Q and Warlords of Draenor I'm pretty good on games for a while

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Captain K wrote: »
    Oh, lawl. I was researching all the +XP on unit creation buildings, and once I finally built them and made some new Preachers, they were level 6 right away. And my starting hero hit level 9 just working as a governor--he was gaining XP way faster than the game indicated he would, for some reason.

Cultists faction quest continue!

...Except, I don't think I can get my city to level 3, because of where I founded it. There's too many lake and ruins tiles within a couple hexes of the city center, and I just stared at the screen for a good five minutes trying to see if there was a way. And there ain't!

Oh well, time to give up on this game and start a new one. I could try for domination, but eff it, I'm gonna bump the difficulty up a level and start with a faction that builds more than one city for the entire game. :)

• Options
    Hey thread

I bought that shark game

Imma be a shark

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

if the story is good then it will be an amazing game instead of just the amazing mechanical experience of 3

If it were coming out at any other time, sure, but there's just so much stuff coming out that "same game but with a better story" just can't cut it for me.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

smite has already raised over a million bucks for their big tournament via in game purchases

it's obviously not as big as dota or league, but it has kinda blown up over the past year to become a pretty big deal

This is awesome! Good to know.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

If it were coming out at any other time, sure, but there's just so much stuff coming out that "same game but with a better story" just can't cut it for me.

On the other hand

Elephants

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    While digging around about GTA in first person, I found out you can make Borderlands go third person, and that is something that I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtEgqhQA-OQ&src_vid=L0oUXRtoHV8&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_650289

• Options

This is awesome! Good to know.

mobas are kinda like mmos now, and companies need to realize there is no "WoW-killer" or "league/dota-killers"

you gotta carve out a niche and be innovative and also sound mechanically to survive

• Options

On the other hand

Elephants

Blood Dragon had giant lizards that shot lasers and I still got bored halfway through, so I don't know what elephants would do for me

This discussion has been closed.