As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - Where is your maker now?

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Nooooo stop posting stuff about the mage and trying to deter me from my first playthrough as a rogue D:

I mean come on. Light sabers!? How is that even FAIR!? Why do mages get all the cool stuff?

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Nooooo stop posting stuff about the mage and trying to deter me from my first playthrough as a rogue D:

I mean come on. Light sabers!? How is that even FAIR!? Why do mages get all the cool stuff?
    There is a ridiculous bias towards mages in Dragon Age.

botp'd:
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    Whelp, looking like another game where it's pointless to be anything other than a mage.
    ...why?
    Have you seen Knight Enchanter? Spirit Blade alone is more powerful than anything else we've seen so far.

Like, look at Warrior: Two-Headed Weapon. Might Blow occupies roughly the same place as Spirit Blade, but is worse in every way. Less damage, no bonus damage versus defensive measures, costs more Stamina and has a 16 second cooldown. That's probably a one use per fight ability - maybe twice. Spirit Blade can be used every time you attack.

It's true that Knight Enchanter is a Specialization, so it's not quite a fair apples-to-apples comparison. So let's look at Chain Lightning, which occupies roughly the same spot as Mighty Blow in the Mage: Storm tree. Chain Lightning does more damage, hits multiple targets, and has half the cooldown. It's not unique, either, as Inferno has a similarly better ability and Winter has a power comparable to Might Blow plus a debuff.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Man, come on. "It was like that when I got there" is not a good defense!

Also known as "I didn't do it! Sarah made me! Moooom!"

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Like, look at Warrior: Two-Headed Weapon. Might Blow occupies roughly the same place as Spirit Blade, but is worse in every way. Less damage, no bonus damage versus defensive measures, costs more Stamina and has a 16 second cooldown. That's probably a one use per fight ability - maybe twice. Spirit Blade can be used every time you attack.

300% weapon damage on a staff isn't going to be equivalent to 300% weapon damage on a greatsword.
    htm wrote: »
    I thought Wall of Fire sounded better than Wall of Ice, assuming that at least sometimes, the AI actually tries to avoid running through the fire. With Wall of Fire, you can lay it across enemies to burn them initially, and then it might still have barrier effect for enemies on the other side of it.

If Wall of Fire also restricts enemy movement while doling out near-Fire Mine damage to anyone it was cast on, then it's definitely got a leg-up on Wall of Ice, whose sole advantage over it would be blocking LoS...but AI pathfinding with fire hasn't been great, and I expect enemies are expected to cross it.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Well, you can also park your frost mage next to the ice wall for the armor boost, but I don't know how useful that would be on any mage that's not knight enchanter. I can't decide what element to run for a support oriented mage. I was gonna go frost for the mana regen, but it doesn't have enough area control for my liking.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Any data, SoundsPlush?

Edit: Found some, though it's a bit old
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYAECehIuKY#t=12

2H
    Masterwork Serrated Greatsword: 264 physical (only requirement is "8 metal")
    Merkel's First: 243 physical (item level 20, requirement: level 6)
    The Whale: 239 physical (item level 20, requirement: level 9)

Staff
    Staff of the Void: 43 electricity (item level 20, requirement: level 17)

That seems a little all over the place, lol.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly, I don't think we'll have a good measure of how the classes work until we see them in action.

Something I was looking at is not on do your characters have a decent amount of abilities at their command but they also have a lot of abilities that boost and work in tandem with their allies.

Like a lot of tiny boosts that when all put together are pretty substantial.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    I wish we could get a look at all the specialization trees. I need to know what necromancer does to decide which mage I'm gonna roll with. Also to figure out how make my two hander warrior maximum tank.
    Aye.

I got so many questions about necromancer. Surprised we've gotten this far and only really know abit about Knight Enchanter so far.

Would be nice to have more of the specializations available so we can start thinking about some of this.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Maz- wrote: »
    Whelp, looking like another game where it's pointless to be anything other than a mage.
    ...why?
    Have you seen Knight Enchanter? Spirit Blade alone is more powerful than anything else we've seen so far.

It's true that Knight Enchanter is a Specialization, so it's not quite a fair apples-to-apples comparison. So let's look at Chain Lightning, which occupies roughly the same spot as Mighty Blow in the Mage: Storm tree. Chain Lightning does more damage, hits multiple targets, and has half the cooldown. It's not unique, either, as Inferno has a similarly better ability and Winter has a power comparable to Might Blow plus a debuff.

You're making a lot of assumptions here.

Gear, weapons, other abilities, passives, tactics, enemy placement, enemy resistances, ability cost, combos, runes, crafted gear, mana vs stamina..there are so many variables at play here that saying mages are better than warriors because of one single ability is just silly.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    It's not one single ability, Maz-. I detailed four in that one post.

But as SoundsPlush points out, it's a pointless comparison to make if weapon damage isn't normalized across weapons (ie, if two handed weapons don't have the same damage as staffs). Though I'm a little unclear about weapon restrictions, the data I have been able to dig up (see post above) certainly implies broad class restrictions.

So yeah, it's certainly premature to drive any nails in. But based on the last two games and what we've seen so far, I'm comfortable saying that it's a worrying trend.

• Options
    lodianlodian Coffee Grindhouse Titan VRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I always play a warrior in either Dragon Age game - it just seems to fit, as being the leader of a band of ragtag adventurers. I'll probably do the same with Inquisition, especially considering they seem to have open faced helmets. My kingdom for a helmet that doesn't make my characters look like clowns.

But I may have to consider otherwise, Cass is a really intense character all around - so may have to consider picking something else and let her tank.

lodian on
    camo_sig2.pngPSN: aeroplane22 || Steam: kozmikx
  • Options
    lodian wrote: »
    I always play a warrior in either Dragon Age game - it just seems to fit, as being the leader of a band of ragtag adventurers. I'll probably do the same with Inquisition, especially considering they seem to have open faced helmets. My kingdom for a helmet that doesn't make my characters look like clowns.

But I may have to consider otherwise, Cass is a really intense character all around - so may have to consider picking something else and let her tank.
    You can always just spec her to DPS if you want.

• Options
    lodianlodian Coffee Grindhouse Titan VRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    You can always just spec her to DPS if you want.
    That's true, I forgot they've retooled the way healing works, so maybe working a party is more lenient. I usually went with 2 mages, a rogue and a warrior. If keeping people up isn't a mana sink, then I'll work with 1 mage, 1 rogue and 2 warriors... or whoever the most interesting characters are really. Cassandra is a central character to the entire DA timeline, so I couldn't imagine a party without her

lodian on
    camo_sig2.pngPSN: aeroplane22 || Steam: kozmikx
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

But as SoundsPlush points out, it's a pointless comparison to make if weapon damage isn't normalized across weapons (ie, if two handed weapons don't have the same damage as staffs). Though I'm a little unclear about weapon restrictions, the data I have been able to dig up (see post above) certainly implies broad class restrictions.

So yeah, it's certainly premature to drive any nails in. But based on the last two games and what we've seen so far, I'm comfortable saying that it's a worrying trend.

Errrrr...what? DAO, I'll give you. Mages were ridiculous in that one. However, they weren't anything special in DA2. I thought they balanced the classes pretty well in that one.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So...blurry look at two of the Reaver's abilities.

Nothing too surprising just Devour and Aura of Pain.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/e14a3c5368c4c7422c0a9cdd30a970a9/tumblr_nch24937Bg1qfsbdwo2_1280.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2014
    So if I'm reading Aura of Pain correctly. It does continuous spirit damage and increase your damage by 200% and increases it even more for every 1% health you're missing.

So...imagine if like...you had low health but you kept constantly building guard and using barrier to keep yourself upright.

That sounds...pretty amazing.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    I wonder if I might be better off with a default world state going into this.

When I was filling out the keep, there were a lot of sidequests and such that I could barely remember the context. Worse still, I've never played any of the DA2 dlc, so it would be hella awkward to hear references to stuff that I've straight up never done.

I don't have time to replay the old games before next week. I guess I'm just hoping Inquisition is mostly entirely new stuff with a side helping of callbacks mostly to the main characters/story of DA 1-2?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    If you already own the DA2 DLC, you can pretty easily just load up any ol' save and jump in. I think they took me 4-5 hours each.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I wonder if I might be better off with a default world state going into this.

When I was filling out the keep, there were a lot of sidequests and such that I could barely remember the context. Worse still, I've never played any of the DA2 dlc, so it would be hella awkward to hear references to stuff that I've straight up never done.

I don't have time to replay the old games before next week. I guess I'm just hoping Inquisition is mostly entirely new stuff with a side helping of callbacks mostly to the main characters/story of DA 1-2?

Just look at a wiki. Only take a couple hours max to go through the entire thing you don't have a clue about. Probably shorter.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I think the 200% is just the damage aura, and the bonus damage is based solely on missing health. It seems to drain stamina while its up though, so it might not be feasible to maintain if you wanna actually use abilities.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    I think the 200% is just the damage aura, and the bonus damage is based solely on missing health. It seems to drain stamina while its up though, so it might not be feasible to maintain if you wanna actually use abilities.

Yeah, I was going to say, I wish they were a little more explicit on some of these effects. It's not clear if that means your attacks do 200% damage, your attacks do +200% damage, or enemies in the ring take tick damage every ? seconds equal to 200% damage. My guess agrees with yours, though—the personal damage bonus is probably just the health loss.

Still, managing stamina to have that thing on for a bit and then hit Devour is going to wreck bosses. If you fire it off when you're down to 10% health, aside from the rising damage bonus until then, you're healing yourself to full with an attack dealing 20x damage.

You can barely see it on that card, but I noticed on some of the other skill images—they seem to have learned from Mass Effect's tech/biotic combos, given their eldritch/impact/precision detonators.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Yeah. I'm thinking you guys are right in that the pulse is the 200% and your personal bonus is dependent on health.

Still that's pretty impressive. And I'm guessing the upgrade will probably reduce stamina usage by half.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Rogue was far and away the overpowered class of DA2, right?

I never tried warrior, and my mage playthrough was when the game came out (so I don't remember much), but in my recent run I did rogue and it was truly ridiculous. Like, I know the PC's are always going to outclass companions, but the degree at which my rogue did it was insane
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So if I'm reading Aura of Pain correctly. It does continuous spirit damage and increase your damage by 200% and increases it even more for every 1% health you're missing.

So...imagine if like...you had low health but you kept constantly building guard and using barrier to keep yourself upright.

I was actually planning on a dwarf S+B reaver for my first go, so if it actually seems somewhat viable then :biggrin:

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options

I never tried warrior, and my mage playthrough was when the game came out (so I don't remember much), but in my recent run I did rogue and it was truly ridiculous. Like, I know the PC's are always going to outclass companions, but the degree at which my rogue did it was insane
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I was actually planning on a dwarf S+B reaver for my first go, so if it actually seems somewhat viable then :biggrin:

S&B warriors also have a skill where they regain 10% stamina for every 10% of health they lose.

That would go along with this well, I think.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I rogued the first two DA games and I'll be roguing the third, darn it. I'm just glad that this game has not one, but two awesomesauce mages for me to choose from in my party. I made do with constant Wynne and a lot of tactics in DA1, while in DA2 I tolerated Merril whenever I couldn't have Bethany in my party. Anders was so benched.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Part of me also wants to continue my tradition of playing a rogue first. The other part of me sees a magic lightsaber.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Errrrr...what? DAO, I'll give you. Mages were ridiculous in that one. However, they weren't anything special in DA2. I thought they balanced the classes pretty well in that one.

Better, but a mage PC was still your only choice for healing if you didn't want anders (yeah yeah I know you guys are 2cool 2heal /suggest modding merill)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Or, you know, use potions?

Or upgrade your gear?

Or kill the other thing faster then it can kill you?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    *checks watch*

Yep, it's time for the DA2 healing argument again

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    It's like saying you have to have Bastilla in your party the whole game when medkits are right freaking there.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    *checks watch*

Checking it? You mean you don't set you clock to it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Review embargo is going up a week early.

Bioware giving no fucks. They know they have a winner on their hands.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    *checks watch*

Checking it? You mean you don't set you clock to it?

The amusing thing about it is that it wouldn't actually be an argument if people didn't hate Anders so badly. No one actually cares about the healing mechanics in DA2; they only hate the fact that they have to bring Anders along.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He so got to live because of that. I was fine with him up until then. In 3 he no longer has that to hide behind, so going to lightsaber him into chunks.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Actually I loathe the healing mechanics in DA2, that game is unplayable on anything above hard.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Actually I loathe the healing mechanics in DA2, that game is unplayable on anything above hard.

Isn't that more to do with AoE making you more deadly to your teammates than to the enemy? I play on nightmare for all Bioware games, because I'm into that kind of self torture, and you really have to tune yourself differently in each Dragon Age game or you will end up putting your party in the ground instantly.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Rogue was so powerful that Bioware had to hardcap the damage a single attack could do, because a well built rogue would one-shot anything in the game outside of the High Dragon.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

Isn't that more to do with AoE making you more deadly to your teammates than to the enemy? I play on nightmare for all Bioware games, because I'm into that kind of self torture, and you really have to tune yourself differently in each Dragon Age game or you will end up putting your party in the ground instantly.

That reminds me, I thought I saw something about DA:I having a separate option for party damage on/off. Anyone know if that's the case? It'd be fun to try the higher difficulties without having to deal with that bullshit (which I absolutely refuse to do otherwise).

• Options
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

That reminds me, I thought I saw something about DA:I having a separate option for party damage on/off. Anyone know if that's the case? It'd be fun to try the higher difficulties without having to deal with that bullshit (which I absolutely refuse to do otherwise).

Yeah, friendly fire is a separate toggle than difficulty, thank god.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
This discussion has been closed.