Options

[chat] of the [chat]

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Deebaser wrote: »
    His dress 3 wolf shirt must have been at the cleaners.
    ugh

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    @syndalis‌ don't do any co-op without me. I want to get a feel for the game, and then I can feel comfortable jumping into multi. And maybe will be ready to join up. Also, my roommate last night: "Oh, I thought you were watching a movie."

I laughed.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    after years of pepsi max and diet coke i have switched to diet pepsi

i can't tell if this is reflex hipsterdom or authentic preference

i guess pepsi max was reflex hipsterdom

RC Cola bae

I like bae because it feels like a word that people really should be saying in the authentic cyberpunk dystopia of 2014

on the other hand pop culture masticates everything so quickly that learning new slang is useless. if I'm reading a word on PA, or worse, in a Time magazine article, it's already dead

anyway, @Eddy should be drinking Dr Pepper 10, the fire from Olympus

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Naruto successfully lands a probe on an asteroid.

what Im learning here is if you're good enough at what you do

you can do whatever you want

I'm gonna say that there are CERTAIN fields where everyone around you is so eccentric and into such nerdy/esoteric/transhuman/whatever stuff that tattoos, piercings, liberty spikes? Who fucking cares, get the trajectory right.

This is less true if you are going to be representing your company in a conservative environment like finance, or if you have a customer facing job that has to appeal to mass market.

Different situations demand different presentation. And I can assure you, there are more of the latter jobs than there are the former. So you better be real confident in your abilities to not need a fallback if you are gonna do corpse tats on your arms.

I have two tattoos and I'm going to get more but they are all in places I can easily cover with formal dress

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    All depends on the work environment. My job isn't very customer facing physically. I do almost all my work over the phone or by email. But the owner of the company has a certain expectation of how folks look in the office.

I guess I could bitch that I can't wear my Steak and Bitches t-shirt to work with sandals. But honestly, I'm just glad the tech boom got us to where business casual was the standard. I look at old photos from the company in the 80s where everyone had to have a ties. Right down to the lowest IT guy. That would be the worst.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    oh no, russia is sending its geriatric long range bomber fleet to the gulf of mexico

what will we doooooooo

(put it on the front page of cnn, of course!)

@Thomamelas‌

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    thats one nice thing about being a woman

our formal standard is way lower than a dudes

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Elki wrote: »
    @syndalis‌ don't do any co-op without me. I want to get a feel for the game, and then I can feel comfortable jumping into multi. And maybe will be ready to join up. Also, my roommate last night: "Oh, I thought you were watching a movie."

I laughed.

I am not touching the co op and multi missions for this reason.

And yes, the game is unreasonably pretty. I still feel like the bulk of the complaints have to be the PS4 and PC versions. The framerate isn't PERFECT, but this is not a poorly designed game by a mile, and the look and feel of it feels miles away from rushed.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    after years of pepsi max and diet coke i have switched to diet pepsi

i can't tell if this is reflex hipsterdom or authentic preference

i guess pepsi max was reflex hipsterdom

RC Cola bae

I like bae because it feels like a word that people really should be saying in the authentic cyberpunk dystopia of 2014

on the other hand pop culture masticates everything so quickly that learning new slang is useless. if I'm reading a word on PA, or worse, in a Time magazine article, it's already dead

anyway, @Eddy should be drinking Dr Pepper 10, the fire from Olympus

Once I know what a word is, it's already dead. That's why I only speak in Latin.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Naruto successfully lands a probe on an asteroid.

what Im learning here is if you're good enough at what you do

you can do whatever you want

I'm gonna say that there are CERTAIN fields where everyone around you is so eccentric and into such nerdy/esoteric/transhuman/whatever stuff that tattoos, piercings, liberty spikes? Who fucking cares, get the trajectory right.

This is less true if you are going to be representing your company in a conservative environment like finance, or if you have a customer facing job that has to appeal to mass market.

Different situations demand different presentation. And I can assure you, there are more of the latter jobs than there are the former. So you better be real confident in your abilities to not need a fallback if you are gonna do corpse tats on your arms.

I have two tattoos and I'm going to get more but they are all in places I can easily cover with formal dress

And that's smart. I am by no means anti tattoo (my having played metal once upon a time, and hung out with native americans for years would make that a difficult stance to take) but I am anti young people making poor decisions because they have no fear of the consequences.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

for biz cas?
    I have about a dozen shirts, most of which are the same brand/cut/size, and 4 pairs of pants. When I need to buy more stuff, I can go to the online store, pick a few pallette swaps, and click a button.

Get dunked on.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I am in full rebellion mode at work so while I appreciate the sudden business casual requirement from a few years ago helping me dress a bit better, I am skirting the rules as closely as possible now.

Like I have on my running shoes today. Khakis, polo, and green and black running shoes. IDGAF. This job has sucked the soul out of me so they might as well suck it from my diiiick

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I really like that guy's shirt actually.

• Options
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Abolish the tie system.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

on the other hand, everyone in the workplace might judge you on it

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Abolish the tie system.

what

no

ties are awesome

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

When I saw his shirt yesterday you were literally the first thing that crossed my mind.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    i still cant believe my sister went to that interview a few months ago wearing a leather skirt.
    WTF

• Options
    Gonna get a hydra polo from think geek

gonna wear it to work

dont care anymore

• Options

for biz cas?
    I have about a dozen shirts, most of which are the same brand/cut/size, and 4 pairs of pants. When I need to buy more stuff, I can go to the online store, pick a few pallette swaps, and click a button.

Get dunked on.

Well, Men's clothes in general aren't the racket that women's clothes are.

But man, you can't say they don't have it better in the business casual measure. They can pretty much wear the equivalent to nice t-shirts and pants that aren't slacks.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

Abolish the tie system.

what

no

ties are awesome

Gooey's personal hell is where he's forced to wear a four-in-hand knot everyday for all of eternity

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Who has two thumbs and 3 1 day passes to pax east?

This guy. /points at self with thumbs

After a really bad month, it is good news to know I will be going with friends.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What would possess someone to buy a silk shirt that looks like an 80s arcade cabinet?
    Why would that person then wear that shirt at a PR event???

NASA pls

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Abolish the tie system.

what

no

ties are awesome

And bring back cravats!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

really?

• Options
    What would possess someone to buy a silk shirt that looks like an 80s arcade cabinet?

NASA pls

ESA.

Europe, dude.

dude's a brit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    BAT-THOUGHTS

Where did all the terrible habits in the past decade-plus of superhero movies come from? The mandatory, formulaic origin story movies where the hero doesn't suit up until the last shot of the movie or whatever. They certainly didn't get it from Burton's Batman.

Scene 1. A pair of thugs rob a couple in a scene cleverly mirroring what happened to the Waynes, except BATMAN shows up and KICKS ONE THROUGH A DOOR and then goes "I'm Batman." before DROPPING THE OTHER OFF THE ROOF. That's me getting my movie ticket's worth in scene fucking 1.

For a big budget movie produced by Jon Peters, the plot is surprisingly solid. The first five or six scenes are incredibly efficient:
    - Batman shows up
    - Arli$$ the reporter is trying to investigate Batman, but a corrupt cop tells him to take a hike. The cop meets Jack Nicholson in an alley to collect a bribe.
    - The mayor and the DA are trying to get tough on crime and are going after the crime boss's businesses
    - Jack Nicholson is the crime boss's right-hand man and is sleeping with his girlfriend, but she worries the boss knows
    - Vicky Vale joins the newsroom staff and teams up with Arli$$ to investigate Batman and gets them tickets to Bruce Wayne's party, where the commisioner will be
    - The boss sends Jack Nicholson to clean out incriminating evidence from one of his businesses, a chemical factory, then rats him out to the corrupt cop

Everything just moves smoothly along and makes straightforward sense. It's such a contrast to the things you see where there are like six dudes credited as screenwriter. The only time I'm really left guessing as to what's going on is when I, adult Jacob, wonder how Jack Nicholson/Joker suddenly starts getting a hold of killer joy buzzers, Joker-branded purple cars, and acid-spraying flowers, but whatever.

I love that Joker has his own dance troupe. If you were stupid rich and vain in the 1980s, you'd want to be ready to shoot a music video at any time and any place. It makes sense.

Nicholson's Joker is also just a great caricature of a bloated, aging, corrupt yuppie capitalist. He's a preening fashion plate, he's media-savvy, he plays PR games with Batman and the city, he affects the airs of a rarefied aesthete, and he's pretty openly misogynist. He's the 4-color version of American Psycho.

Keaton is pensive and withdrawn but thrums with this inner energy or mania. Unlike Bale, who seemed to kind of fade into the background of his own movies sometimes, Keaton absolutely commands the screen in his own way. He also projects genuine intelligence, which is a really rare trait in an actor. You can see him sizing up everyone he meets and every room he enters.

Kim Basinger really is beautiful. Like, at ten I couldn't really appreciate it, but wow. Sometimes super-theatrical costuming tends to overpower actresses and they just disappear into their clothes, but the stuff they found for her is just great. There's this sequence where she's in a black peacoat and beret and big wide black sunglasses so the only things you really see are a bit of alabaster neck, bright red lips, and atomic-blonde hair framed against this utterly black clothing and it's just stunning.

Interestingly, the movie treats Batman as a mystery, sort of? Like, if you had no prior knowledge of the character and were also thick enough to not pick up on any of the hints or clues, you could get up to halfway through the movie before learning that the weird rich dude is also the guy in the bat costume.

@Jacobkosh‌

Keaton also makes an amazing contrast to Nicholson in terms of control. I know a lot of Nicholson's Joker is Nicholson being Nicholson but Keaton contrasts with it perfectly. All of his mannerisms are just so tightly controlled as Batman. He projects the kind of self-discipline you expect out of the Bat while Nicholson's Joker is excess to the extreme. I think that contrast makes some of the absurd elements of Nicholson's Joker work. Of course that Batman's villain has an absurdly large revolver. An actual MANPAD there would be bizarre and make you wonder where the hell he got that. But the big gun? Makes perfect sense.

• Options

Abolish the tie system.

what

no

ties are awesome

Gooey's personal hell is where he's forced to wear a four-in-hand knot everyday for all of eternity

it is such a terrible knot!!

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

NASA pls

That's ESA, the European Space Agency

America's nerds have standards

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

NASA pls

ESA.

Europe, dude.

dude's a brit.

This is why we revolted.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Elki wrote: »

I laughed.

I am not touching the co op and multi missions for this reason.

And yes, the game is unreasonably pretty. I still feel like the bulk of the complaints have to be the PS4 and PC versions. The framerate isn't PERFECT, but this is not a poorly designed game by a mile, and the look and feel of it feels miles away from rushed.

I haven't played enough in a day to have something substantial to say about it. I've just done a lot of walking, because the interior spaces are ridiculous. And I need to do a bit more freerunning, because this feels like the biggest improvement in platforming since 1. My dude feels incredibly more agile, and I want to see if my very positive impression of the run up/run down mechanic holds up.

And yeah, the frame rate is slow sometimes; I've see a few people fall through the ground, and recorded a video of that. It was pretty funny, but hopefully it'll be fixed soon. How that enrages depends on how you feel about non-gamebreaking bugs and the status of your framerate religion. Maybe I'll run into something that really sets me off, who knows.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Who has two thumbs and 3 1 day passes to pax east?

This guy. /points at self with thumbs

After a really bad month, it is good news to know I will be going with friends.

Good thing. If you only had 2 passes, it would be really awkward having to choose which thumb to bring.

• Options

really?

Yeah, I mean. It's a bit busy. But pin up art is my thing. Almost all of my t-shirts have pin up art on them.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    guys if I stuck a bicycle pump up my butthole could I inflate to an ass like Kim Kardashian

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

NASA pls

That's ESA, the European Space Agency

America's nerds have standards

nasa-mohawk-guy.jpg

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    guys don't you ever get tired of judging other people's choice of clothing and fandom so harshly?

Doesn't it ever just beat you down? Can't we just live and let live?

This discussion has been closed.