As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HALO] is dead.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Played Halo 2 Anniversary. Looked gorgeous (except for the odd glitch where objects would phase out of existence temporarily), still played great. Fun to revisit the game, and the new cutscenes are a real treat. Halo 2 was probably the Orginal Trilogy game I spent the least amount of time with (idk why), so there were a lot of little things that teenage me missed when I last played it.

Game is a mixed bag imo. Matchmaking is broke, but can't see this not being resolved. Every game expect H3 looks beautiful imo. However, only six H2A maps and no changes to H3 rubs me the wrong way. It screams lazy, it foretells of H2A map packs and H3A in a few years. I feel like this was to be a celebration of the big green guy, but due to lack of remastered content and technical issues it instead feels half hearted. What's there is great, but I do feel there should be more.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Oh jeeze, seems like they outright forgot to add translations for some of the new objects in Forge. :lol:
    That really has to suck if English isn't your native language.

Anyhow I was messing around in Halo 2's forge last night and came up with this:

http://youtu.be/Xoi2JDUH0eY

I was kind of imagining the ship from 'The Fountain', or 'Howl's Moving Castle' meets a Forerunner installation, forever orbiting, drifting, inside a Halo ring.
    It would've been cool to have the stone steps around the centre tree orbit it, but meh.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    If matchmaking is still broke by Tuesday I will be trying to get a refund. It's been unplayable for me for an unacceptable amount of time.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    It was quite the ordeal, but I finally made it through each campaign on legendary solo!

I was hoping the matchmaking would be fixed by the time I finished...

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Next patch is on the 19th:
    I’d like to provide the latest on Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and what the team is working on to address the issues you’re experiencing.

Looking at our data logs, server-side adjustments that we have made over the past 24 hours have shown a 20% increase in server connectivity. However, we are well aware that performance is not where it needs to be. Resolving Matchmaking issues also requires client-side fixes, which require a content update. The client side update, which focuses on Matchmaking performance, non-matchmaking bugs, and a variety of title-specific issues, has been completed and is going through testing and certification. We are currently targeting a release of Wednesday 11/19 for this content update. We know the current Matchmaking experience is frustrating, and we continue to have various teams working 24/7 to isolate and resolve the issues to provide the best experience as soon as possible. We are going to continue to optimize the matchmaking experience after next week's content update, and make further adjustments as needed. We thank you for your continued patience.

Dan Ayoub
    Executive Producer

Also, this is a good read: http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2mfw63/microsoft_is_the_one_selling_you_an_unfinished/

• An Idiot AbroadAn Idiot Abroad Registered User regular
    I'm so unbelievably furious about the MCC. I was looking forward to it so very much.

Beyond the broken matchmaking, there are dozens of other issues with the game, many of them gamebreaking. I know it's common to ship games before they're completely ready, but I would have never expected it from a Halo game, given Microsoft MUST know how much rests on it and its reputation.

I'm not particularly looking forward to Halo 5 (fingers crossed the maps aren't complete shit) but I was still going to preorder. Now, I'm 100% sure I won't. I'd rather wait and see the reviews and make sure everything is as it should be. Which is a first -- I've preordered every single Halo game since Halo 2.

Unbelievable. They knew this shit was broken, and they still hosted that damn Halofest thing as if they didn't have a clue.

I'm so unbelievably furious about the MCC. I was looking forward to it so very much.

Unbelievable. They knew this shit was broken, and they still hosted that damn Halofest thing as if they didn't have a clue.
    Yeah, the money they spent on Halofest and that self-congratulating documentary could certainly have been better spent on contracting a few more quality assurance teams. I don't mind so much personally, as the single player portions are for the most part functional, and if they really want this to be taken seriously as an 'e-sports' foundation title, they certainly have the incentives to get everything fixed. It's just disappointing more than anything.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I highly doubt they knew it was broken.

No I don't.
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    ya they for sure didn't know it was broken, holy cow you guys lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    honestly i kind of expected the matchmaking issues. I have had this happen so many times with competitive it's routine for me. though this is particularly bad hopefully it will be fixed by wednesday. I'm not going to boycott microsoft or anything for everything bad fluke they have good stuff as well. Plus they received a huge amount of bad press for this already.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    It'll be fixed in a week or so. Highly doubt it'll take longer than that.

It'll be fixed well before Christmas, which is great news for me!

No I don't.
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    343 is lucky this is a product that people already know and love. Because it if it wasn't this game would be dead in the fucking water just like Brink.

If the patch Wednesday fixes it it'd be just fine.

Seriously, people are overreacting in a ridiculous way.

No I don't.
    I'm not saying they knew the matchmaking would be broken. Who knows if they knew about that or not?

But the dozens of other small (and still huge) issues? Yeah. They definitely knew. This game was not properly polished before release -- that's a fact.

It's just depressing. I know it'll be fixed, but I'm traveling extensively in a few months and I was looking forward to binging on this and reliving some memories. It does me no good if it's fully playable in January or February -- I'll be away from my Xbox One by then, and I won't be back for years, long after the game will be mostly dead. :(

GTA online launched and was down for a day. Destiny launched and was down for a day. Halo 2, 3, and 4 launched with no issues. Halo MCC has been out nearly a week and I have played maybe 10 games of multiplayer (the main reason I bought it). It's a long time to fuck something up for. In this season, new games hit every week. I doubt the population will be anything by the time they fixed this shit. It's crazy to me they took 4 working games, chopped them up, and broke them all. The customization is half-assed. Menus are buggy. Party is basically unfunctional. Even co-op and since player bugs have messed up people's games. Achievements also seem buggy as hell...
    They simply would have to ignore problems like party-splitting, crazy queue times, and party shittiness. They chose to release it like this instead of delaying.

GTA Online was broken for at least a week.

No I don't.
    I was able to play all week but I am aware other had issues. For me personally, the is the worst games launch I have seen in a long time.

Maybe it's just because I don't play a huge amount of online multiplayer, but if they get this fixed within the next week or two, this thing just has too much content to be "dead". And given what this is for Microsoft, I highly doubt they'll leave it broken.

No I don't.
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Nope, half the game not working for a week is bad. Multiplayer is what I wanted the most out of the MCC and it's crazy that it can't be made to work even a little bit. I left it on to search for a game the other day and the controller turned itself off and then I gave up trying to find a game.

Also the single player has frozen on my console a lot of times. More than all of the other games I've played on the One combined. It's a really bad release, and it doesn't help that I had to download a 15gb patch and still have lots of problems with the game.

Magell wrote: »

Nope, half the game not working for a week is bad. Multiplayer is what I wanted the most out of the MCC and it's crazy that it can't be made to work even a little bit. I left it on to search for a game the other day and the controller turned itself off and then I gave up trying to find a game.

Also the single player has frozen on my console a lot of times. More than all of the other games I've played on the One combined. It's a really bad release, and it doesn't help that I had to download a 15gb patch and still have lots of problems with the game.

I'm not saying it's not bad, I'm saying it's not the end of the world. If they fix it. If they leave it like this, yeah, fuck them.

No I don't.
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I love it when 343 mess up. More fuel for the hate fire. Fans deserve better.

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    more like face palmer

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I approve of the new thread title.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Magell wrote: »

You didn't download a 15gb patch
    you downloaded the multiplayer portion of the game which was too large to fit on the disc

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I actually haven't tried to play any multi but it is a shame people are having these issues.

As someone who is functionally a halo virgin I am enjoying bite-sized sessions of Halo 1 so far. I'm halfway through the game and I feel like I am frequently over-extending. I'm used to soft babby modern day games where you fully regen health in a handful of seconds.

I need to be a lot more cautious about using cover and not risking my health once my shields get dinged up, I think. I'm used to the level of mobility in Destiny where you ca good around out in the open and slide to safety once in a while. Movement here and being exposed to fire is not like that.

I have come to love the pistol with its little zoom scope and relative accuracy. The assault rifle is really a closer-range weapon than I thought at first. I am trying to get into the weird communist alien energy weapons because they do have interesting uses but somehow I am fundamentally prejudiced against them.

Anyway TL;DR I have to absorb the tempo and philosophy of this game's combat because I am only playing Normal and it's starting to get tricky.

desc wrote: »
    I actually haven't tried to play any multi but it is a shame people are having these issues.

As someone who is functionally a halo virgin I am enjoying bite-sized sessions of Halo 1 so far. I'm halfway through the game and I feel like I am frequently over-extending. I'm used to soft babby modern day games where you fully regen health in a handful of seconds.

I need to be a lot more cautious about using cover and not risking my health once my shields get dinged up, I think. I'm used to the level of mobility in Destiny where you ca good around out in the open and slide to safety once in a while. Movement here and being exposed to fire is not like that.

I have come to love the pistol with its little zoom scope and relative accuracy. The assault rifle is really a closer-range weapon than I thought at first. I am trying to get into the weird communist alien energy weapons because they do have interesting uses but somehow I am fundamentally prejudiced against them.

Anyway TL;DR I have to absorb the tempo and philosophy of this game's combat because I am only playing Normal and it's starting to get tricky.

Biggest thing to remember is the alien weapons take down shields quickly. So a plasma pistol shot will take down an Elite's shields, and a human weapon will do the rest.

No I don't.
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Plasma Pistol / Pistol is pretty much all you need vs Elites in Halo 1.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    i cant believe the multiplayer is still broken for me. Still cant get a game.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'm not saying they knew the matchmaking would be broken. Who knows if they knew about that or not?

But the dozens of other small (and still huge) issues? Yeah. They definitely knew. This game was not properly polished before release -- that's a fact.

It's just depressing. I know it'll be fixed, but I'm traveling extensively in a few months and I was looking forward to binging on this and reliving some memories. It does me no good if it's fully playable in January or February -- I'll be away from my Xbox One by then, and I won't be back for years, long after the game will be mostly dead. :(

Having been involved in major projects that have been delayed, and that involve something more serious than entertainment, it's a hard decision to make. Even a single delay damages user confidence in what you're doing, people losing their jobs, even at executive levels and more...

That said, I feel that, given the large amount of media coverage and hype, especially the "Halofest" and anniversary of Halo 2 and all this was a project that Had To Be Released. Given their options of releasing a product that's largely functional (anecdotal experiences and confirmation bias on forums don't really account for the experiences of an entire user base) vs eating the backlash over a delay; Halofest/Halo 2's 10 Year anniversary with a delayed Halo MCC would have been an even larger disaster, they chose the better option.

That reddit post that says "blame Microsoft" for this instead of blame "343i" really should be blame both. But the thing that they tried to do was big. How many other compilations of games are there out there with a partial integration of said games between them, along with additional features and other things? They didn't just copypasta the games together, they made new content for them too, right? Anyhoo, to say that this game should have been 100% fine all around given the complexity of the project is kinda unrealistic, imo. Could it have gone better? Always. But some slack needs to be given for the feat they tried to accomplish.

tastydonuts on
    Biggest thing to remember is the alien weapons take down shields quickly.
    In Halo 1, they also take down health quickly.
    Like, in newer games you can always rely on an overcharged plasma pistol to take out an enemy's shield
    in CE you can also often rely on it to take out their health afterward

cB557 wrote: »
    Biggest thing to remember is the alien weapons take down shields quickly.
    In Halo 1, they also take down health quickly.
    Like, in newer games you can always rely on an overcharged plasma pistol to take out an enemy's shield
    in CE you can also often rely on it to take out their health afterward

Related, because one of my favorite things to do in Halo 1 MP was death spiral players (circle strafe while firing into them and close with a melee). Does the Plasma pistol and rifle stagger people in Halo 1 MP?

Not sure about the Plasma Pistol, but yeah in CE the plasma rifle slows the movement of players hit with it.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    *takes notes furiously*

Gonna try this out

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I've played H1 a couple times, but I'm virginal in regards to H2-4

Feels so weird to get an Xbox One...only to play a bunch of old games on it. remastered or not.

• PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Feels so weird to get an Xbox One...only to play a bunch of old games on it. remastered or not.

The PSVita says hi.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
    edited November 2014

Having been involved in major projects that have been delayed, and that involve something more serious than entertainment, it's a hard decision to make. Even a single delay damages user confidence in what you're doing, people losing their jobs, even at executive levels and more...

That said, I feel that, given the large amount of media coverage and hype, especially the "Halofest" and anniversary of Halo 2 and all this was a project that Had To Be Released. Given their options of releasing a product that's largely functional (anecdotal experiences and confirmation bias on forums don't really account for the experiences of an entire user base) vs eating the backlash over a delay; Halofest/Halo 2's 10 Year anniversary with a delayed Halo MCC would have been an even larger disaster, they chose the better option.

That reddit post that says "blame Microsoft" for this instead of blame "343i" really should be blame both. But the thing that they tried to do was big. How many other compilations of games are there out there with a partial integration of said games between them, along with additional features and other things? They didn't just copypasta the games together, they made new content for them too, right? Anyhoo, to say that this game should have been 100% fine all around given the complexity of the project is kinda unrealistic, imo. Could it have gone better? Always. But some slack needs to be given for the feat they tried to accomplish.

I just have to disagree, I'm sorry. With all due respect, I firmly believe a delay + a solid game equals more user confidence than releasing something when it is not ready. Tons and tons of AAA games are delayed these days. In fact, I sort of expect AAA games to be delayed beyond initial announced release date, minus the annual sports games and CODs that obviously have a strict yearly schedule to adhere to.

Sure, hitting the tenth anniversary mark is symbolic and great for marketing, but at the end of the day, nobody really gives a shit about that. Anyone who was around to play Halo 2 in 2004 won't care if MCC was pushed back a few months ("what?! this is the 10-and-a-half anniversary?! i refuse to purchase now! that's one half too many!"), and anyone too young to have played it in 2004 won't care about the 10th anniversary hubbub anyway.

To be honest, I don't really care who is to blame (343, Microsoft, both, etc). And I don't care how big this project was. If I buy a Ferrari, and it's delivered onto my driveway and then I discover it has leaks and creaks galore, I don't care at all how hard it was to engineer and develop. I paid for the product -- I lived up to my end. 343/Microsoft promised a functioning game on launch day, and a week later, I still can't do half the things I wanted to. I entered into a contract with them by purchasing their product and they failed to deliver. I wasn't expecting 100% fine all around (I don't think anybody was?) but I wasn't expecting something so broken.

And no, I don't really care about this. I don't think about it during the day, I don't stalk the 343 twitter account. I don't write angry letters to Microsoft and put them in my drawer. I get on Halo, I try to play it, it doesn't work, I throw a few expletives at the screen and then I vent a little here. Could things be worse with the game? Sure. But to say we should give them slack exhibits a weird kind of acceptance of just... getting shitty things. Just because there are bigger problems doesn't mean we should just accept this or give any slack at all. I don't owe them anything at this point. I already paid them. I showed my support. Now give me a working product, as was originally agreed.

ANYWAY. Sorry, fingers got carried away there. I really do love Halo. I managed to get into two games today, and man, I see people haven't forgotten about teabagging. I had never really thought about why I mainly saw it in Halo and not COD, but I realized today it's because the death camera makes you look at your body for a few seconds. An obvious connection, I'm sure, but I just had never put two and two together. And I'll just say... I really didn't miss it. Watching someone teabag my lifeless body after they rocket me to death on Ivory Tower makes my blood boil just like it did 10 years ago. Such assholes.

An Idiot Abroad on
    To put it in perspective, I am watching my brother play GTA Online with no problems on Xbox One. Somehow they managed to ship a game that has functional multiplayer at launch! And Rockstar is historically terrible at online.

edited November 2014
    To put it in perspective, I am watching my brother play GTA Online with no problems on Xbox One. Somehow they managed to ship a game that has functional multiplayer at launch! And Rockstar is historically terrible at online.

Well, they did already launch that game quite a while ago, and that didn't work out too well at the time.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
This discussion has been closed.