Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    i was thinking about little bits of leather too actually, but it would require a lot of fiddling with the shape of the grip to keep it from sliding around. it'd be easy enough to glue it of course, but glue is cheating

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that is just cool beyond words

• Options
    thank you! it was fun working out how to do it

if you want one, i know a guy

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    it would def. be awesome, but I don't really wear jewelry =(

although, I do go to Renn Fest every year ....

Xaquin on
  • Options
    the thing i find most interesting about making jewelry is that i don't really wear any either, i have a plain silver ring and a skull on a chain that i basically never take off, and that's it. so i have no idea when i make something whether anyone'll be interested in it or not. it adds an interesting wrinkle to the whole thing

i'm totally putting one of those swords on my keychain though

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I kinda want to give that a go.

But unsurprisingly, I do not own an anvil.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Oooh. Was thinking a small spring coil would look pretty cool for the handle as well, especially if you could wind in little bits of jewel looking things as well. Not sure how fine detailed you could get with these.
    Shit I may give one a go eventually.

In actual project news I have 3 concrete molds currently setting and hope they are in decent enough shape and are cured up between now and Saturday when I hope to prep them. I think I may get some construction grout, which seems like I can get it runnier, which I think would translate well to picking up the details from the mold. Concrete worries me because I can't really tell how much has been packed into flush with the mold. I may do one or two plaster of paris molds as well for giggles if I have time. Those weren't to bad previously, especially if they were baked. Just not sure how much prep time I will have tomorrow night.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

1. Do you live near a railroad?
    2. Do you have access to a cutting torch?
    3. :)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Also you could just peruse Craigs list if you are near a decent sized city.
    Or find a Harbor Freight which sells a pretty small one for a not terrible price last I recall

Radiation on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Hmm. Sievers has closed, and the other place that sells jewellery-making tools in the city only stocks teeny tiny little anvils. You could try a second-hand bench anvil?

• Options
    edited December 2014

if you have access to an 8lb sledgehammer, you have access to an anvil

@knitdan also said a true thing, i still use my train track anvil occasionally for various stuff even though i have a gigantic 100lb real anvil

what i'm getting at is you totally can do this with a minimum of tools. the hardest part is drilling the hole for the quillions

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

@knitdan also said a true thing, i still use my train track anvil occasionally for various stuff even though i have a gigantic 100lb real anvil

what i'm getting at is you totally can do this with a minimum of tools. the hardest part is drilling the hole for the quillions

Drill press, drill press vice, center punch, and a sharp drill bit and you should be okay.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Ooh.

A sledgie would be a good idea.

• Options
    oh i know, i have a little benchtop drill press (though not a vise) and it would've been a tremendous pain in the ass without it. but using hand tools for the whole thing it would definitely be the toughest part to drill a straight hole through a nail

• Options
    xmas presents are mostly done

pMbQsDW.jpg

0zFKXI8.jpg

UDK2RpU.jpg

NJeQqHX.jpg

wldmcSS.jpg

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Until a couple years ago I didn't even know there were sizes of anvil. Every time I thought of an anvil it was always fuckin huge Looney Tunes sized.

• Options
    man there are like a million different shapes and sizes of an anvil. a farrier's anvil is different from a bladesmith's anvil is different from a goldsmith's anvil, et cetera

and then you get into specialized anvil stakes and it gets even more ridiculous

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    What is the best anvil for putting on top of another anvil and then shooting it into the air with gunpowder?

• Options
    an anvil probably about sixty or eighty pounds that's damaged beyond repair, because as cool as anvil launching is, since it became a big thing it's been really hard to find reasonably priced anvils for actual metalworking

if you want to launch an anvil, make God Damned Sure that it's an actual steel anvil and not a cast iron anvil-shaped object. because if you try to launch the latter, really what you've created is a very large fragmentary explosive

• Options
    Well that sounds pretty...

8-)

Metal.

• Options
    booooo!

• Options
    What is the best anvil for putting on top of another anvil and then shooting it into the air with gunpowder?

Just make a heavy duty spud gun with steam pipe, oxy-acetylene bottles, and electronic ignition instead.

FYI: I'm pretty sure making your own cannon is illegal in pretty much every country in the world besides maybe Somalia? So uh, don't actually do that.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Just make a heavy duty spud gun with steam pipe, oxy-acetylene bottles, and electronic ignition instead.

FYI: I'm pretty sure making your own cannon is illegal in pretty much every country in the world besides maybe Somalia? So uh, don't actually do that.

I feel like here in Murica we can, in fact, make whatever the heck we want. Get your hands off my guns you damn, dirty apes. etc.

Does anyone know shit about shit when it comes to concrete? I don't know shit about shit, so I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. Also worried that I'm going to rush through some stuff because I need to finish this thing off in time for christmas and ohmygod its so close!

Radiation on
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

I feel like here in Murica we can, in fact, make whatever the heck we want. Get your hands off my guns you damn, dirty apes. etc.

Does anyone know shit about shit when it comes to concrete? I don't know shit about shit, so I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. Also worried that I'm going to rush through some stuff because I need to finish this thing off in time for christmas and ohmygod its so close!

Concrete? How's your slump test?

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »

Concrete? How's your slump test?

The mix I've been using is slightly more fluid, than what is standard. I haven't actually slump tested, but I think I will give it a go.
    Actually watching this video leads me to believe that I very much want this type. Somewhere between flow-able and plastic would be perfect. Not sure on cure time for it, but it seems pretty quick.
    Honestly I only need these molds to work once, so weakening of the concrete by over-watering wasn't a huge concern as long as the concrete retained its shape for the duration of the cooling process.
    I will take pictures of the entire process this weekend, so I can more accurately display what I'm doing.

• Options
    What is your issue with your concrete?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Also slump tests would mean nothing in this context and it wouldn't even be worth measuring it.

The reason you do slump tests is to check how much the concrete has set and it's done to make sure than when you get a delivery of several cubic meters of concrete to make sure it hasn't turned.

If you are over watering your concrete then it may be seperating.

How are you sourcing it?

Blake T on
  • Options
    I thought a slump test was more for making sure the concrete was mixed properly, and isn't overly wet.
    My issue is that I want something more fluid than thick ass pancake batter, and there seems to be a fine line between wet enough to get into the weird angles around the wax positive of the Tardis and 'holy shit too wet this isn't going to work'. I'm trying to find that happy medium. Looking more at it MP Grout might be the best way to go. I'm not sure how it holds up against high temp stuff (like 600F), but it doesn't have to withstand that for long, just needs to keep its shape for the first minute of being exposed to that heat.

• Options
    The intent of a slump test is purely to check how much the concrete has set if it has been mixed properly. It's not much of a test in general to be honest, if the truck shows up and fails the slump test, if you don't take note of the truck's licence plate, they'll either go round the corner and wait a bit if it is too runny or they'll throw some water in.

If you are buying grout (which is not concrete, it is cementicious material) I'd recommend buying, and measuring accurately with a scale.

Assuming you are in America, I'd say your biggest problem is it setting in cooler temperatures. Can you bring the mould inside at all?

• Options
    Additionally how are vibrating your cast?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Just thinking out loud, not really addressing you per se. The usual practice with steel is low speed/heavy feed. Meaning keep the drill slow and throw your weight into it. With a drill hole that small the problem is thatweight on the bit will break it.

Drill press seems the right way to go with some coolant. We'd use beeswax normally. Run the bit through a block of wax before the project to keep the bit from heating and annealing in the process.

If you can get proper titanium or carbide drill bits you'll have an easier time drilling the holes. However carbide is more expensive and more brittle, meaning you need everything clamped tight because any movement when drilling will snap it. Titanium bits are hard to find because of how much Titanium is a marketing word with tools. You're likely to find a bit that's more steel than titanium.

Annealing the nail would also make it a bit softer and easier to drill. This might happen a little when heating it for shaping, but is probably negated when you start working the nail with the hammer.

Getting much more esoteric here, but I was lucky enough to see a product demonstration with what I can only describe as a plasma gun the size of a rolla-around toolbox. It would use a burst of plasma to destroy stuck screws and cut a hole about 1/8in in diameter.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    i have a drill press, but the lack of a vise required me to get creative. before annealing the nail i hammered its impression into a block of wood, then annealed, centerpunched, then put it in the groove in the wood and clamped a piece of copper scrap over it to make sure it wasn't budging. even then i had to stop and adjust a couple times because i didn't line up the bit with the improvised vise perfectly the first time
    Getting much more esoteric here, but I was lucky enough to see a product demonstration with what I can only describe as a plasma gun the size of a rolla-around toolbox. It would use a burst of plasma to destroy stuck screws and cut a hole about 1/8in in diameter.

yes please i'll take it how much

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    i have a drill press, but the lack of a vise required me to get creative. before annealing the nail i hammered its impression into a block of wood, then annealed, centerpunched, then put it in the groove in the wood and clamped a piece of copper scrap over it to make sure it wasn't budging. even then i had to stop and adjust a couple times because i didn't line up the bit with the improvised vise perfectly the first time

yes please i'll take it how much

I think four years ago (damn you time! Where did you go?) it was in the $100,000s range.

Seriously the only reason the shop didn't buy a dozen is because the link between the "gun" and the main body of the machine wouldn't go all the way to the top of an aircraft. Because titanium tridair fasteners can go to hell.

Edit: Aha! I found it
    http://ppedm.com/e-drill/

It's around $47,000. I got the tech a bit wrong, it's an electrical discharge cutter, not a plasma cutter.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    hey, you guys should buy fifty grand worth of our stuff so we can buy an incredibly cool machine that we in no way need! i like this idea!

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    My friends are having a baby.

I am crafting a Studio Ghibli mural on the wall, hopefully I will finish before their larva needs to inhabit the room.

2dr9chf.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I ran out of wool for that thing I posted earlier (because I decided halfway through to double the width), so I had to go online to try and find another skein
    and I stumbled into a yarn sale

and this is going to be an expensive hobby, isn't it

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    So I ran out of wool for that thing I posted earlier (because I decided halfway through to double the width), so I had to go online to try and find another skein
    and I stumbled into a yarn sale

and this is going to be an expensive hobby, isn't it

Like all hobbies, a substantial portion of the fun is the acquisition of materials. And tools. And literature.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Tynic, I don't mean to be discouraging or anything like that, but

you gotta stop being good at all things.

It's making everyone look bad.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    alternatively, I set up a lucrative sideline in penis cozies.

• Options
    Look as long as you promise not to teach the robots how to knit, you can do whatever you want.

This discussion has been closed.