As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2014 Remembrance Thread

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    In 2014 after years of waiting and procrastinating, I finally brought my Harley down to ATL.

and spent 3 weeks having it worked on, and waiting on weather. In those 3 weeks I developed a severe blood infection that settled in my hip, requiring bone and tissue to be removed in emergency surgery, narrowly avoiding amputation. The joint was reconstructed with cadaver bone and "spare tissue".

The surgery and healing process was subpar, and the end result is I am unable to safely operate the bike.

Never even got to properly ride her.

Sad to hear, man. What Harley was it? I ride a Sportster 1200 right now.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    This time last year I had strep throat, and my mother was fighting with me because how dare I receive medical attention when she herself is in pain and has made up a reality where she can't see a doctor.

Now it's ending on an extremely positive note in comparison. I just hope it all continues!

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh hey Happy New Year forums!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I can say one good thing about 2015 so far: I'd been off my antidepressants for about the past week because the mail was slow around the holidays, and they finally just arrived. So I'm starting off the new year chemically-satisfied, at least!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    it snowed!
    A beautiful sheet of white covered the ground and I ruined it as I walked home
    Also I only saw 3 cars on my walk home so way too many people have government work here

All I will say of Last year is I lived

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Reginald wrote: »
    In 2014 after years of waiting and procrastinating, I finally brought my Harley down to ATL.

and spent 3 weeks having it worked on, and waiting on weather. In those 3 weeks I developed a severe blood infection that settled in my hip, requiring bone and tissue to be removed in emergency surgery, narrowly avoiding amputation. The joint was reconstructed with cadaver bone and "spare tissue".

The surgery and healing process was subpar, and the end result is I am unable to safely operate the bike.

Heritage Springer, 99, last year of the evo engines.

She's sitting in the garage now, can't bring myself to even consider chopping her up to make a trike.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

She's sitting in the garage now, can't bring myself to even consider chopping her up to make a trike.

You shouldn't have to cut it up, there are kits available that bolt on in place of the swingarm.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Slap some hand controls on it if your legs aren't quite up to the task of gears and rear brake, and while we're at it, put a fucking supercharger on the motor too.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

get a spider

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

get a spider

Hey, he's crippled, not stupid.

• Options
    Like, those spiders are good for two things: Floridian retirees attempting to reclaim some of their lost youth, and for tearing the motor and gearbox out of to install in one of these:
    CudaAtEdge.jpg

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    My fathers mother just died, I guess she really insisted on waiting until 2015

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    dang, Javen

sorry to hear it

hugs

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Luckily we had plenty of time to prepare

She sharply declined about six months ago, we were all pretty sure she wouldn't leave the hospital. She improved, but has been on hospice ever since.

My father (her son) was able to see her today, and she seemed happy, so I'm very glad for him.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Off to my grandmother's funeral today. I feel okay now but expect I will be my usual wreck once I get there.

Am kind of worried about how few people will show up. Every funeral I've been to people have been spilling out of the crematorium, but my nan was an obstinate lady who didn't really have any friends by the end. Sad.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I hope nobody shows up for my funeral. It's like a really awkward presentation. I hate being the center of attention.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'd like a two minutes of hate at my funeral. Just a segment where people share stories about me being a terrible person. Not funny stories either. And if no one is willing to share then I'd have a recording or something so I could share. The rest of the funeral would be positive as usual. It'd be an interesting experiment, obviously I wouldn't get to see the results. but hopefully people would appreciate it as an attempt to show a more rounded picture of me.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Service was ok. Really religious, which was expressly against what my gran had said, but that's how my aunt wanted it and my dad didn't want the argument.

I cried the least of any funeral I've been to. I dunno how I feel about that. But I couldn't stop staring at the coffin and imagining her inside it.

God I hate funerals.

• Options
    I cried more when my coyote died and rarely when my parents did in front of me
    More of shock
    But I rarely cry

• Options
    Really one of the more solid pieces of advice I ever got was from my mother
    Try not to Remember people how they died but how they lived and who they were to you.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    This last Thanksgiving and Christmas will probably be my grandfather's last, his health has taken a rapid decline over the last few days. What hurts is that his body may be frail but his mind is just as sharp as ever, so he is fully cognizant of how embarassing it is to be a rational human without the capability to walk, eat or go to the bathroom without assistance.

This titan of a man, this Hercules, this unbreakable Rock of Gibraltar ... he's always been the most capable human being I've ever known; he survived The Great Depression, World War II, Korea and a host of trials that have literally broken strong men. He's not perfect, he would be the first to tell you that, but he *is* resilient and I draw my strength from his lessons, his kindness and his patience. Above all else, he has taught me to value humility and caution, hard work and an honest demeanor, family and community.

If I live to be a thousand and my life ends up being a tiny fraction of his, I will have lived well.

I love you, Grandpa, and I will always keep you with me.

• Options
    What hurts is that his body may be frail but his mind is just as sharp as ever, so he is fully cognizant of how embarassing it is to be a rational human without the capability to walk, eat or go to the bathroom without assistance.

This was similar to my nan. She was incredibly frail at the end, her hearing and vision were shot, her hands barely worked and she couldn't walk more than a few steps without leaning on something. But her mind never seemed to age. She could remember details from 80 years ago better than I could remember what I did yesterday.

Fortunately she wasn't as physically impaired as your grandad, she was still able to live alone. Which is why as soon as I heard she'd had the stroke I was hoping she would just slip away without waking up again, because for her to be reliant on others would have been hell for her.

Yesterday ended up being ok. We had a small wake back at my gran's house. There weren't a lot of people but several of the neighbours were there which was really nice of them. Some of them even had some fond memories of her from years ago. Back when my grandad was alive they were quite social and fun people, but after he died in 96 she withdrew. But it was really nice that they made the effort and could share some good memories of her.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Remember how sometimes you'll housesit for your parents, but you can't take your cpap machine because the asshole cats will chew in the air hose and put holes in it, and after a few days of being without it you regain one of the more embarrassing side effects of urinating in your sleep, presumably because you've stopped breathing for so long your body freaks out a little? And then you wake up from a short nap when your parents get home and you haven't had the time to realize this has happened and you walk into the kitchen looking as cool as Miles Davis?

I remember.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Remember how sometimes you'll housesit for your parents, but you can't take your cpap machine because the asshole cats will chew in the air hose and put holes in it, and after a few days of being without it you regain one of the more embarrassing side effects of urinating in your sleep, presumably because you've stopped breathing for so long your body freaks out a little? And then you wake up from a short nap when your parents get home and you haven't had the time to realize this has happened and you walk into the kitchen looking as cool as Miles Davis?

I remember.

I'll be 37 tomorrow and I still sleepwalk with silly results; mostly it involves me doing dishes or asking you several times about which TV show you're watching.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    In 2014, I quit my job because having tables thrown at me and...reasons. I decided to go back to school in the spring of this year.

I made burgers at our house for the first time. 6 patties from two and a half pounds of ground beef. Pretty damn good.
    20140928_133635_zpsl2iu1ma5.jpg

Kaplar on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    On a brighter note... apparently, 2014 was the last year of my prolonged bachelorhood. For I am now in a relationship. I haven't felt this way in so long, I can't remember how it ever felt.

I still keep waiting for the other shoe to drop though.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    On a brighter note... apparently, 2014 was the last year of my prolonged bachelorhood. For I am now in a relationship. I haven't felt this way in so long, I can't remember how it ever felt.

I still keep waiting for the other shoe to drop though.

They fucked in the boat.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    My grandad apparently had some kind of stroke and today is the third day where he hasn't eaten anything; he can no longer hold a glass to take a drink.

2015 is off to a shitty start, but it can save some face by allowing my grandfather to go peacefully, quietly and with what dignity he has left.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2015
    Damn DW. The way you describe your grandfather this world will be a worse place when he's not in it.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Damn DW. The way you describe your grandfather this world will be a worse place when he's not in it.

My cousin Wesley and I are the two oldest grandsons and we take after him the most; he and I are going to do our best to keep his memory alive as long as we can.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

My cousin Wesley and I are the two oldest grandsons and we take after him the most; he and I are going to do our best to keep his memory alive as long as we can.

You're good people DW. Don't ever change.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    2012-2014 were filled with more bullshit than a 1-ton steer on Imodium. I think 2015 will be better. It's amazing that I have managed to keep my sunny disposition!

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    nm

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    wait what?

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    this is one of those situations in which i hope and pray it's a hoax, however the message was time sensitive on the premise it could be canceled. however it was not cancelled

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    apparently, heather snow

We're still holding onto hope, since there's no confirmation. All her social media sans her Tumblr are deactivated.

If anyone knows how to reach Heather (DirtyDirtyVagrant) please do so, or PM me her address if you don't feel comfortable calling the police in her area to check on her.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    @Nocren Do you still have any of her contact info? I think I remember you two dating for a while.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately we had a bad break.
    I saw her pop up on Facebook for awhile a month or two ago but haven't seen anything since :sad:

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2015
    DDV just tweeted a minute ago

She's alive.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    That's good news, hope she's ok.