As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Vigil's Theme, still giving us chills after all these years.

1939495969799»

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    You could say he has...flexibility.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    The best part of that is Ashley backing away as if she doesn't know what the fuck just happened to Shepard.

I guess cerberus just couldn't resist tinkering when they revived him

Shepard: What the hell is wrong with my neck!?
    Miranda: Shepard, I'm sorry, but apparently some lab tech spilled a little Owl DNA in the samples during the Lazarus project.
    Shepard: Miranda, Cerberus is the special exception to Hanlon's razor. You should never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be attributed to malice AND stupidity.
    Miranda: OK fine, TIM thought it would provide a tactical advantage and he wanted humanity to evolve beyond our neck limitations. I started doubting my long term future with Cerberus at that point, if it helps.
    Shepard: Only a little, and what a lunatic. Should I worry about side effects?
    Miranda: I was curious if you might eat your hamster, but you're probably fine.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I just happened take a look at the latest story on the trenches comic website (I don't read the comic anymore, but still read the stories)
    Not everybody is a soulless asshole.
    12/30/2014 - Anonymous
    I’ve been in the “internet” industry for a while. Most of the problems that game testing run into are a sickening parallel here, however, I’ve not come into anything as bad as what happened to my wife once one of your precious games doesn’t come out exactly as you’d like.

Some gamers quickly become frothing, spiteful misogynists once their game waifu’s honor is slighted.

During a rough patch in my career (red tape surrounding a promised raise, par for the course, right?), she got a job to help make ends meet. She found a job working for EA’s Origin Account Support. EA made the onboarding process fairly smooth, worked with her around my schedule as to allow for ride-sharing, and the pay/benefits package wasn’t horrible based on the type of work she’d be doing. Training was sufficient, and her coworkers are mostly human. Everything was fine for the first month.

Then Mass Effect 3 came out.

I’m not going to exactly spoil it for those of you not privy to the story, but an important character dies. Fans were livid and they called. And called. And called.

Remember: she works for account support, a department that never gets ahold of writers, artists, coders, or decision makers.

Some asked for lukewarm things like refunds, credits and the like, but there are some of you that just can’t leave well enough alone. Personal attacks dealing with her gender (“Get a man on the phone, you won’t understand my complaint”), her moral compass being compromised based on her association with EA (“You’re actively ruining my hobby. You.”), death threats, and hour-long tirades picking apart the story (Think “Han Shot First” type rants) were her bread-and butter.

This is where EA could have easily come to the rescue for their employees, but all of us knowing EA, this should not come as a surprise. My wife’s manager told her team they are never, under any circumstances, allowed to end a customer call. The customer must hang up. Managers do not have the ability to override this, they say, which is bullshit. Every VoIP administration box can just shut a phone off.

She managed to get through a week on the floor after ME3’s release before she called me in tears, asking to leave her job.

To put her mental constitution into context, she did a tour in Iraq, and was honorably discharged on medical grounds (repetitive motion disorder).

It’s just a game, everybody. Calm the fuck down, and remember that whenever you need to call support for any reason, they are humans.

I was confused which character they meant, but I guess this was about
    Shepard dying?

Because of the "waifu" comment I thought they meant Tali dying, which only happens if you fuck up! In which case these video game assholes were twice as wrong.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Eh, so many people die/could die it could have been all of the above.

And yeah, I never get "refund" mad or anything like the above just because things didn't work out for a character I liked in a single player campaign. I mean, it's not like I can knock on Stephen King's door and punch him in the mouth for what happened in Cujo. I'm just a passenger enjoying the ride of the story. Granted now I have some choice on how it plays out but ultimately the destination is the same.

No, I get mad at the other geese/players in a multiplayer game.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    It doesn't even matter that characters die, they probably were being shitheels for a variety of other problems they had with the game. Plenty of the deaths in the game were pretty avoidable anyway, and well boy people are just shit in general though.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I thought it was Mordin, but all characters can live if you make certain decisions, even Mordin and Shepard.

Well... Not Morinth, but fuck her anyhow.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    People flip their shits over the dumbest stuff. Everyone could be saved in ME3 if you didn't want them to die.

I used to receive death/bodily harm threats and rape threats against my girlfriend/wife/daughter (wasn't married, didn't have kids) because of broken printers and cameras (and a typewriter once).

People are awful, is what I'm saying.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    You know Mild Confusion would be a perfect person to take calls from people upset at Mordin dying, or Wrex...

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    You know Mild Confusion would be a perfect person to take calls from people upset at Mordin dying, or Wrex...

Nah. We'll send 'em to Shimshai.
    Shimshai wrote:
    Can I max out the memorial wall before the end?
    f8FTbgu.png

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Shimshai wrote:
    f8FTbgu.png

They deserve each other. :bigfrown:

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Bobble wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

Shimshai wrote:
    f8FTbgu.png

They deserve each other. :bigfrown:

Yes. Yes they do.

Dalphir fixed that image for us all:
    img

Orca on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I don't think I ever got around to completing that run unfortunately. I think my N7 ranking from multiplayer promotions would probably have affected how terrible the ending could be.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think it's possible to change the contribution your promotions provide by editing your coalesced file.

• Options

Shooting things is like 95% of what I do.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    You know call centers would benefit greatly if, when a customer calls in with something rabidly unreasonable, they had a "special" office to transfer those customers to, and those people were people who were granted permission to talk to the customer however they want, short of actual threats and bigotry.

And such offices should entirely be populated by crusty members and/or former members of the military.

Like this but with phone support.

2005-09-21-sigma.gif

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I thought it was Mordin, but all characters can live if you make certain decisions, even Mordin and Shepard.

Also not
    Legion

And these are shitty people. Maybe they just couldn't figure out how to save Tali or something.

• Options
    RedBeardJimRedBeardJim Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Also not
    Legion

Or
    Thane

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    so many waifus, so little time

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    To take a break from the waifuchanspeak, I need to expand who I play this game with. I have two friends that I regularly get to play this with but they're not always around while I want to play, or the other way around, and public games can only be so much fun. Origin account is oppfq; no idea if I actually plan on playing tonight or not but at some point in the future I wanna get more games in.

One reason why you should totally play with me is that I managed to kill a possessed abomination with three seconds left in an extraction wave that wiped everyone but me (warlord sentinel) and I got the lone survivor medal. If that doesn't make me the best teammate ever I don't know what does, I do what it takes to get shit done.

butts
  • Options
    so many targets, so few bullets

FTFY

steam_sig.png

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    New Mass Effect thread up top. Could an admin please lock this one.

Courtesy link for the stragglers

This discussion has been closed.