Options

Venture Bros: RADIANT IS THE BLOOD OF THE BABOON HEART

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    I remember when my girlfriend threatened to leave me if i didn't stop hunting down a man i barely knew so that i could shit in his lawn.

this show is relatable.

Well, there's the whole one person coming to terms with the other's flaws, including their obsessions, and the other making sacrifices for their partner. Also dealing with work related issues and family issues.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Disappointment at what the other considers success, celebrating quirks, trust issues.

Bunch of stuff.

No I don't.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Holy shit that episode. Holy shit that epilogue.
    Yay general Treister! He finally got to hulk out. That was an amazing episode. I'm excited for ventures in new york. I wonder if this will end up like the last season of Archer, and people will be in shock from the change of scenery.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Just finished watching the special and epilogue. Damn that was fantastic. Ugh I need more!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Joolander wrote: »
    Murderphage I think is his name

I base this entirely on him looking like a bacteriophage

bacteriophage-microphage-l.jpg

And that he had the letters M and P on his chest

And also I remember it was something like that?

Dr. Phineas Phage.

Professor Impossible's old arch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkLRaqj76i4

sarukun on
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Is there a place to watch the whole series online or do I need to buy some DVDs

I have looked as hard as I possibly can in the realm of legality and DVDs are the only way

And each season is at least 20 bucks

The closest you can get is the watch Adult Swim app, which usually has five or so episodes up for viewing.

It is not the best thing to navigate through, but it isn't bad.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Leave it to Doc and Jackson to blow up some of the most complicated parts of their mythology while still laying dynamite, fascinating groundwork for season 6. God bless those beautiful bastards.

It's also really, really cool to look at how well the show has grown re: its lady characters. I have a lot of (primarily nostalgia-fueled) love for early VB, but those early seasons? The most prominent women characters were the (at the time) one-note Dr. Girlfriend, the even-more-one-note Molotov Cocktease, and, like, Triana. And that was it.

The special, though, was chockafuckingblock with badass ladies doing badass stuff - even when that "badass stuff" was, "extending a helping hand to her douchebag ex-husband for the sake of her kids." The show's grown and expanded in a lot of ways, but seeing them include so many well-shaded and varied women is one of the ways that makes me happiest.

I also love that they seem to be making Paget Brewster's Amber Gold a more regular fixture. It's completely impossible for me to have enough Paget Brewster in my life.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So with all the references to cancer, what is the likelihood that JJ was the only one to have it?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

I have looked as hard as I possibly can in the realm of legality and DVDs are the only way

The closest you can get is the watch Adult Swim app, which usually has five or so episodes up for viewing.

I looked on the app

It looks like they have all of the big one-hour season finales/specials, but no regular episodes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait that was Paget Brewster?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So with all the references to cancer, what is the likelihood that JJ was the only one to have it?
    Treister had prostate cancer. That's why he shot himself into space.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure he was referring to another Venture, not that.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

I'm pretty sure he was referring to another Venture, not that.

Yes, I'm sorry the question was more in the line of "does someone else in the show have cancer?"

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

I looked on the app

It looks like they have all of the big one-hour season finales/specials, but no regular episodes

Yeah, that's what's up right now. Periodically they'll shuffle it.

It's totally useless for trying to watch in any kind of order, but if you just wanna crank out a couple of episodes for kicks it works okay.

'Specially if, like me, you got no Cartoon Network at all. :P

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Only down side to this episode was the lack of explaining why gary was still working for the monarch.

Also...maybe it seemed a bit like they are aiming to make doc a little more of a hero then a failure this time around? It's like they are lifting him up in some ways. he showed pride at dean's solution, he didnt respond to JJ's condition as a complete dick, he took the loss of his home with a fair amount of calm dispite the snark.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    Only down side to this episode was the lack of explaining why gary was still working for the monarch.

Also...maybe it seemed a bit like they are aiming to make doc a little more of a hero then a failure this time around? It's like they are lifting him up in some ways. he showed pride at dean's solution, he didnt respond to JJ's condition as a complete dick, he took the loss of his home with a fair amount of calm dispite the snark.

Uh

They made up in the finale to season five.

Like, the whole episode was mostly about him giving up on being one-man Sphinx because it was lonely and sucked, and joining back up with the Monarch, who was too dumb to realize that Gary had ever walked out on him.

And Sgt. Hatred got all mad and blew up the cocoon and Phantom Limb's old house.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Gary went back to the monarch at the end of last season, didn't he?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    mjn6172mjn6172 King of the Lurkers, also secretly a Freemason (shhhhh.) Registered User regular
    Seg wrote: »
    I love that the little bumpers before and after commercials for the first half of the episode was basically them warning people that if they continue to watch they would regret it.

Man, those bumpers were amazingly effective
    Once they showed Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's gunshot wound I was convinced she was going to die and that's what they were warning me about. I would NOT have been a happy person if they had gone through with it.

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    It's been shown multiple times that, deep down, Rusty cares about his brother.
    He ordered Brock to stand down when JJ failed to kill him, and he turned down Killinger's offer to join the Guild and arch JJ despite it meaning Rusty would have had a successful company.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I think those are more to say, while rusty is a lazy asshole he's not evil. He's not 100% a dick.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So I rewatched the special and I caught another joke I didn't notice before
    When Hank says "put it all on black"

He's at the baccarat table with all the other obvious spies

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Wow...for some reason the entirety of season 5 kinda slipped my mind. I just reviewed the episode list and I know ive seen all the episodes, it just didnt stick around, and i was thinking the last episode was the prom night special.

While its true i dont think season 5 was as good as previous seasons, i didnt think it was that forgettable...

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Y'know what I'm excited about for the Venture Bros? It seems like Season 6 will be largely... happy.

Like, seasons 4 and 5 both were rough. Dark times for a lot of characters. And this finale set up drama in the next season, sure, but happier times are coming for these characters who have kind of earned it at this point.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Y'know what I'm excited about for the Venture Bros? It seems like Season 6 will be largely... happy.

Like, seasons 4 and 5 both were rough. Dark times for a lot of characters. And this finale set up drama in the next season, sure, but happier times are coming for these characters who have kind of earned it at this point.
    While I think it would be nice to see some happier times on the show, I don't think I'm going to hold my breath.

• Options
    i'm pretty sure this special retroactively made season 5 better

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm not expecting sunshine and rainbows, but compared to the sheer number of characters who I could describe as "at rock bottom" in S5, S6 seems like a big step up.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    This honestly feels like a proper finale for season 5.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    for a show about failure it did get pretty dark, yeah.

gary did have some amazing growth as a character though.

• Options
    i'm kind of disappointed gary ended back with the monarch, but at least he and monarch have a pretty entertaining repertoire

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    The long time between new episodes really does make it hard for me to remember stuff.

Like, was it ever confirmed who killed 24?
    I remember everyone being pretty sure it was the Moppets, and I vaguely think an episode may have finally explicitly revealed that it was them but I can't remember the details.

There are a lot of other things I remember from time to time and go like "Was this already resolved? I kind of think it was but I can't remember how."

Note: I haven't the special yet (watching it tonight).

I guess I need to sit down and rewatch the entire series before the next season begins. I don't have Season 5 on dvd yet though, so I'll have to grab that.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Lars wrote: »
    The long time between new episodes really does make it hard for me to remember stuff.

I remember everyone being pretty sure it was the Moppets, and I vaguely think an episode may have finally explicitly revealed that it was them but I can't remember the details.

There are a lot of other things I remember from time to time and go like "Was this already resolved? I kind of think it was but I can't remember how."

I guess I need to sit down and rewatch the entire series before the next season begins. I don't have Season 5 on dvd yet though, so I'll have to grab that.

from what i remember
    Gary found enough proof to convince everyone else that hench had killed hench so all of the monarch's henchmen attack them.

Melding on
  • Options
    Lars wrote: »

Yeah in season 5 they confirm it was the moppets that killed him.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I find myself struggling to remember what happened in season 5 as well

Pretty much all I ever come back to is
    both boys know they are clones now

Other than that... I dunno, I've watched the finale like 4 times now. It's weird.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Yep! She was also the alien brood lady whose name is escaping me

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Season 5 was great, it was just also short and uneventful.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    I find myself struggling to remember what happened in season 5 as well

Pretty much all I ever come back to is
    both boys know they are clones now

Other than that... I dunno, I've watched the finale like 4 times now. It's weird.

-Both Boys know they are clones
    -Dr. Venture built a ray shield
    -Everybody knows Dermit is Rusty's son
    -All the Spinx characters are working for OSI
    -Billy has an Arch
    -Monstoso died
    -We discovered the identities of the Council
    -The boys found out Moira isn't their mom

A lot of things happened actually.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Yep! She was also the alien brood lady whose name is escaping me

Mommy Longlegs

• Options
    A significant amount of the fun in this show is trying to guess the names of the background characters

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    And then watching those background characters take more and more prominent roles. Sgt. Hatred started off as throwaway line to explain where 21 and 24 got the parts to fix the cacoon in early season 2 and Monstroso was first mentioned back in Season 1 in a list of pictures with Dr. Girlfriend in them.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    A significant amount of the fun in this show is trying to guess the names of the background characters

And then Hammer and Publick go ahead and reveal it later on and it's way better than the thing you thought of