Options

The [JRPG] thread. Fuck FF7, THERE'S A NEW NIER!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    do I want to save it? no, I must save it, gameindustri cannot survive without my help!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Oh hell. I have two copies in my inventory.~

(Madican: Accept my F-request on Steam.)
    (Jars: Your Steam profile link is broken. Add me.)

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    After abandoning Xillia 2 halfway through, I discovered I really don't care about Tales games anymore. And if gouging their audience is the only idea they have for doing something new, then I'm definitely out.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oh hell. I have two copies in my inventory.~

(Madican: Accept my F-request on Steam.)
    (Jars: Your Steam profile link is broken. Add me.)

Will do, but it'll have to wait until I'm off work. Steam's blocked here.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    At least Tales of Hearts R has been pretty good.

Every import/Japanese impression I hear about Zestiria makes it sound like a rushed product and not a great game. :(

• Options
    It's more that every Tales game feels the same to me.

If it weren't for Milla and Jude in Xillia 1, I would have quit out of boredom.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I thought I fixed that damn thing. it must be too long for the space http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026976196/

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Since I waxed nostalgic this week with FFVII, this Zestria fiasco just recounts what a really great job they did with their two principal heroines in that game.

On paper it could have been disastrous; market the first heroine for over a year, then decide to have her killed off and replaced with the "real" heroine halfway through while also making her the default choice in the love triangle. Giving her a more "visually appealing" design could have also added insult to injury.

But they made it work, because they took a lot of care to make sure both heroines started off strong. Even better, they didn't make them into catty rivals, instead having them form their own friendship in spite of the fact they're after the same guy. It's one of the prime examples of why FFVII is remembered so fondly; they took a lot of care with even the most basic concepts, to the point that they almost feel like subversions.

Even Cloud still holds up, as I learned during the recent discussion. We've had a decade of imitators and very few hold a candle to how he was portrayed originally.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Tales games still occasionally have really incredible characters now and then, plus I love the art style a lot. But the combat does nothing for me and I am bad at it.

This thing they are doing now is some stunning bullshit though, wow

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    FFVIII has aged kind of poorly

• Options
    8 has always been a bad game

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Tales games still occasionally have really incredible characters now and then, plus I love the art style a lot. But the combat does nothing for me and I am bad at it.

This thing they are doing now is some stunning bullshit though, wow

Not really. Namco as a whole has been ungodly terrible with their RPG franchises.

See the way they hijacked Xenosaga with the second episode, cutting the funding by like 1/3 and meddling with the story and character designs (this even applies to the localized version where they replace over half the voice actors for no reason whatsoever). Then they proceed to chop the planned six episodes into three due to the poor response.

For all the bitching I've given Square, even they've never fucked over their games the way Namco has.

Parasite Eve and FFXII notwithstanding.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    y'all have a fucking problem

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    O... K?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Xenosaga II is a fucking travesty. It's what happens when you fire the lead writer on a six-part series and then decide you can do it better by committee.

It's a miracle that Ep. III is such a good game... terrible Mr. Clean Was Here blood censorship hilarity aside.

• Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    FFVIII has aged kind of poorly

Since that was also revisited recently, I would state that it's actually held up better.

They essentially take the concept from FFVII that wasn't entirely fleshed out (your main party isn't as competent as previous FF heroes) and rolled with it in full force in this game.

The party in FFVIII are complete morons and I love the game for it. It's like Persona 4 before Persona 4 made it a thing.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I pretty much play Tales games because I like the combat. The plots themselves I usually find entertaining but nothing to write home about.

That heroine situation sounds really shitty though. Especially since she seemed more interesting than the hero who looks like another overly optimistic bonehead.

• Options
    I feel like I'm living in a parallel universe, because I found all the Xenosaga games to be pretty aggressively mediocre.

I remember when they were bragging about the 8 hours of cutscenes in the first game.

Yeah, that's only a good thing if your dialogue is excellent instead of, uh, boilerplate.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Xenoblade is the only good Xeno game

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

'Them's fighting words.

• Options

In fairness, if Xenogears hadn't lost most of it's budget it probably woulda been pretty good.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I have a great affection for Xenogears because it came out when I was a huge Eva fan and it hit all the right notes. Also it has one of my favorite video game relationships.

Xenosaga I thought the first was average, second sucked and the third I never got around to playing because of the second one.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    xenogears is pretty good, disc 2 aside (I liked disc 2 personally). probably should replay it one of these days

my sister got me the ds version of chrono trigger (which I haven't played since the snes release), almost beat everything in a first clear of the game while I was stuck out in texas for a few days. do I bother checking out the DS exclusive stuff or is it not worth the trouble?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Not really.

I guess if you like Chrono Cross and want to see some stuff tying the two games together it could be worth it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Disk 2 Xenogears feels like a cop out, deservedly so, but that game would have been way too damn long if all that content had actually been there.

As it was I though the narration of events was well written and interesting.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

fucking WHAT

• Options
    Disk 2 Xenogears feels like a cop out, deservedly so, but that game would have been way too damn long if all that content had actually been there.

As it was I though the narration of events was well written and interesting.

yeah, I actually did not mind and kinda liked the way disk 2 was handled

• Options
    Doesn't hurt the the music playing in those bits of narration is so goddamn good

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think it's pretty dumb that they planned on making xenosaga a six game series from the start

maybe like

focus on making one compelling game first

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    midlander hyur warrior master race

Your never gonna see a Lalafell ninja used in official promo materials I'll tell you that right now

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    i think it's pretty dumb that they planned on making xenosaga a six game series from the start

maybe like

it was based on preexisting material
    also 1 and 3 were both good, it was just 2 that was a boring heap

3 was really good

• Options
    midlander hyur warrior master race

Your never gonna see a Lalafell ninja used in official promo materials I'll tell you that right now

because them ninjas ARE TOO GOOD TO BE SEEN

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    not gonna like I'm a bit upset that the FFXIV mascot boy is a dragoon for the expansion

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

maybe like

3 was really good

Wasn't it the unused Xenogears Episode 1 material?

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

maybe like

3 was really good

Wasn't it the unused Xenogears Episode 1 material?

nah

the way it was supposed to be was every 2 parts were a different story

I think gears was like part 4? on the timeline

but yeah, 1-3 were actually just supposed to be two parts, but they realized while making part 2 that it was just too ambitious and huge in scope so they scrapped that idea

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Gears was Episode 5 or 6. I remember reading that Xenogears Episode 1 was supposed to be the catastrophe that happened to set up the opening to the game that Square made.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »
    Gears was Episode 5 or 6. I remember reading that Xenogears Episode 1 was supposed to be the catastrophe that happened to set up the opening to the game that Square made.

mightve been 5, but yeah

the whole thing about completely making A Complete Works into games was scraped because holy shit it would've taken like a decade and long passed into irrelevance

• Options
    instead they made a pretty decent jurp, a fucking boring one and one of the best jurps on the ps2

not bad

• Options
    I do really like Xenogears plot as a whole though.

The backstory of how people got to and populated the planet in Xenogears is crazy pants in the best way.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    if you go by xenogears, gears was part 5, the stuff with krellian/sophia/bart's ancestor and stuff was part 4, and then the older lives even further back probably

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.