As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [JRPG] thread. Fuck FF7, THERE'S A NEW NIER!

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    man

chaos isn't even in the top 50 for worst jrpg names

It's barely even bad

Fayt Leingod is my personal favorite.

I laughed forever.

That one always stood out to me, but my personal favorite is L'arc Bright Lagoon

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Thanks for Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth @vagrant_winds, I shall save Gameindustri and hopefully figure out what the hell is going on in the screenshots I've been seeing.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    man

chaos isn't even in the top 50 for worst jrpg names

It's barely even bad

Fayt Leingod is my personal favorite.

I laughed forever.

That one always stood out to me, but my personal favorite is L'arc Bright Lagoon

I swear that Japanese Character Designers need to run all their character names by a native English/German/French speaker (depending on the name). If they don't laugh hysterically or facepalm within a few seconds it gets a pass.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    JESUS CHRIST!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yes thank you as well, I give every anime game a fair shot so hopefully it's for me

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    If it's not, no hard feelings. Different tases, dofferent people.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Stupid mobile double-post bug thingy.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    No one is insulted by xenosaga borrowing religious imagery, they're insulted by hack writers trying to make their nonsensical plot sound deep by attaching it to religious imagery.

Yeah.

I mean, I'm not always 100% onboard with how SMT uses Christian religious stuff, but it generally makes sense. Game's about gods and demons and the like, so yeah. Duh Satan and Michael and the like are going to be in play. They know what their goal is with invoking religious themes, and when they come into play, even if you don't like it you can kinda nod and go "I see how this fits in with the rest of this game. There is a certain narrative coherence here."

Meanwhile, Xenosaga feels like it's flinging shit at the wall. I've been wrong before, of course, but it feels like it's using religious themes because Eva used them, and people thought that was cool. Only the people behind Eva admitted that they only grabbed the angel stuff because it seemed cool and weighty, where the real themes were about the fact every single character had some major fucking intimacy issues. The religious themes were surface level, but that sort of worked because they were only meant to be surface level. Meanwhile, Xenosaga made the religious shit Really Important, while not having the slightest idea what the fuck it was doing with any of it.

At least, that's how it looked from my angle.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I agree that Xenosaga 3 is a fun game to play. The combat and gameplay systems are all really good and I had a ton of fun playing that game. The storyline is whatever.

What I'm trying to say is that Xenosaga 3 has the same strengths and weaknesses that FFX-2 does.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    I agree that Xenosaga 3 is a super fun game to play. The combat and gameplay systems are all fantastic and I had a ton of fun playing that game. The storyline is whatever.

What I'm trying to say is that Xenosaga 3 has the same strengths and weaknesses that FFX-2 does.

p. much

it looked real good too

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Boy that video makes that shit more complicated than it needs to be. Here, I'll explain the same thing much better.
    Pre-KH1
    Heartless can travel through time, but they are all essentially mindless.

Young Xehanort knows this, and intentionally becomes a heartless to take advantage of it. His heartless manages to retain it's mind, probably because of how strong Xehanort was.

Xehanort's heartless goes back in time to give his younger self his time travel powers, since while the past is mostly impossible to mess with, someone traveling forward in time has pretty much free reign.

During KH:3D
    Young Xehanort then goes through time gathering different incarnations of himself and people that had his darkness planted in them to fulfill the prophecy to open kingdom hearts.

Roxas was supposed to be the 13th and final member of Xehanort's crew, but he escaped by merging back with Sora. Xehanort tries to take over Sora instead, fails, and the rest of the 13 are forced back to their own times.

But Xehanort did get his original body back, and he will try again, cue KH3.

All the minueta of the time travel rules isn't really important to the overall plot. It's hard to change the past, it's easy to change the future, that's all you really need to know.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    xenogears is pretty good, disc 2 aside (I liked disc 2 personally). probably should replay it one of these days

my sister got me the ds version of chrono trigger (which I haven't played since the snes release), almost beat everything in a first clear of the game while I was stuck out in texas for a few days. do I bother checking out the DS exclusive stuff or is it not worth the trouble?

The Lost Sanctum is garbage and should be avoided at all costs. The Dimensional Vortex dungeons are okay though, and have some cool boss fights.

which is which

there's two new portals in 65 million bc and uh 600 ad right?

also kicking myself for forgetting to steal gold studs from the mobs in black omen, whoops.jpg

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    xenogears is pretty good, disc 2 aside (I liked disc 2 personally). probably should replay it one of these days

my sister got me the ds version of chrono trigger (which I haven't played since the snes release), almost beat everything in a first clear of the game while I was stuck out in texas for a few days. do I bother checking out the DS exclusive stuff or is it not worth the trouble?

The Lost Sanctum is garbage and should be avoided at all costs. The Dimensional Vortex dungeons are okay though, and have some cool boss fights.

which is which

also kicking myself for forgetting to steal gold studs from the mobs in black omen, whoops.jpg

The Lost Sanctum is what appears along with the Black Omen, and the Dimensional Vortex appears after beating Lavos.

You can enter the LS from two different time periods and the DV from three.

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    oh okay

might do both just so I can see what the hullabaloo is about though

does the DV spawn only on new game+?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure you can do it without starting a new game.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm gonna cliff notes Xenoblade real quick

A young mechanic with a future-sword seeks revenge on people-eating robots. The robots come from the ROBOT TITAN, while the humans and other species come from the BIOLOGICAL TITAN. The future sword is BAD NEWS.

Yeah all right gimme that Jurp

This sounds

Right up my alley

Gonna wait for the 3ds one tho

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular

which is which

The Lost Sanctum is what appears along with the Black Omen, and the Dimensional Vortex appears after beating Lavos.

You can enter the LS from two different time periods and the DV from three.

oh neat I just got this too and I didn't know it had extra content

aside from those videos

which look awful, are they awful?

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Think I'm gonna start another run of Chrono Trigger.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    the fuck did protists do

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Collepedia all the way

oh shit thats a reference to the xenoblade collectopedia

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Testament because it has the nicest name.

• Options
    Seriously wrote: »
    the fuck did protists do

shit what if all the enemies are gigantic single cell organisms

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

testaments.jpg

Man, if only.

• Options
    so supposedly the director did a final playtest of X recently and it took him around 300 hours

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options

testaments.jpg

Man, if only.

well...

dAE0lXu.jpg

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I really don't go to crazy about length these days since like 50 to 70 percent of that will probably be fetch quests.

• Options
    so supposedly the director did a final playtest of X recently and it took him around 300 hours

See you're saying this like it's a good thing.

Meanwhile, all kinds of warning sirens are going off in my head.

If they wanna have a shit ton of sidequests in X like they did in Xenoblade, fine.

Just please don't lock important shit like entire skill trees behind doing a ton of them.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

testaments.jpg

Man, if only.

well...

dAE0lXu.jpg

Man if it turns out there's a Monolith in that ship, that would be the best goddamn thing ever.

Just make the whole Xeno series canonical across different platforms and publishers.

• Options
    We Xeno Multiverse now?

• Options
    There's really only one Xeno reference I would want in Chronicles X above all else.

xenogearsemeralda.jpg

She's already 4,000 years old when she joins your party. She's essentially immortal.

I would flip the living fuck out of she showed up as an NPC or something.

• Options
    Is Xenoblade even connected to the other Xeno games?

It's original title wasn't even Xenoblade, it was Monado something or other. They just called it Xenoblade to get some brand recognition over here.

Plus I'm pretty sure all the characters from Xenogears are owned by Square Enix (and Xenosaga's are owned by Namco) so I wouldn't hold your breath for anyone from those games showing up.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »

It's original title wasn't even Xenoblade, it was Monado something or other. They just called it Xenoblade to get some brand recognition over here.

Plus I'm pretty sure all the characters from Xenogears are owned by Square Enix (and Xenosaga's are owned by Namco) so I wouldn't hold your breath for anyone from those games showing up.

They've found ways around it.

• Options
    turtleant wrote: »

They've found ways around it.

I mean if you just want lookalikes of the Gears/Saga characters to show up then sure maybe that will happen. I still rather doubt it though.

That's not really the same thing as the actual characters making cameos.

And like I said, there's really no reason to think Xenoblade and X are part of the same universe as Gears and Saga.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Also I guess it'll sound mean but quite frankly I don't want any Gears or Saga stuff to creep into X.

Xenoblade's story wasn't a great masterpiece or whatever, but it had some decent twists and a lot of likeable characters.

Xenogear's plot was full of tons of underdeveloped, one note characters, poorly thought out twists, and a chronic case of naming things after religious terms that the developers obviously had little to no understanding of. The over all story it was trying to tell was alright, but any individual part of it holds up terribly under any kind of close inspection.

Xenosaga is some kind of doofy, overcomplicated fever dream that went so far down the "use religious terms and motifs we don't understand but they sound coooooool" rabbit hole that it's a wonder anything in that game made sense.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Esmeralda is one of those cool characters I'd like to see at least an homage to.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »
    Esmeralda is one of those cool characters I'd like to see at least an homage to.

Her name is actually Emeralda. No S.

X22wmuF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.