Options

The [JRPG] thread. Fuck FF7, THERE'S A NEW NIER!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    xenosaga has a character named "chaos"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    The games are pretty funny. I can't help but laugh at all the little gaming jokes and references. The entire series is about taking the piss at the video game industry and they're never serious.

Helps that the battles are fun too.

It looks a lot like Fairy Fencer F @Professor Snugglesworth was talking about a few months ago.

Same company, and virtually the same mechanics.

Personally I found Fairy Fencer the better game, though. Neptunia had a bit more grinding, a bit more uneven difficulty, and a shit-ton more moe.

That last one is either a positive or negative, depending on the individual.

Fairy Fencer is a traditional JURP with a sense of humour.
    Neptunia is a comedy JURP with solid mechanics.

There's even Fairy Fencer F DLC for Neptunia.

So is the Steam version good? Playable? The desc seems to mention something about bugs. I own the original Neptunia and the battle system is just...horrible. I actually never finished, and my special edition copy of the second game is still unopened.

There's apparently a bug right now with the DLC not being recognized, but they posted that they're aware and working on it. Otherwise it's the Vita game at 60fps.

And you do know that the Neptunia series threw the original game's battle system (which was indeed a complete piece of shit) in the trash after the first game and has had a different and fun battle 3d movement turn-based system from Mk2 onwards, right (The most similar gaming battle system analog would be Eternal Sonata.)? The Rebirth remakes basically lift Victory's version of the battle system, which is tweaked/improved even further from the original Mk2, though Rebirth 1 is limited to a party of 3 instead of a party of 4 like the sequels.

Yeah, I bought the first two games, but since the story/jokes are so good I didn't want to start playing the second until I beat the first. And since the dungeons and battles are so boring (I did get to the point where Nep's one hit-all-enemies skill one-shots everything for no reason) I could never finish the first game.

I'll have to sit here and stare at it for a bit and consider if I want to play it on Steam. Vita would be nice, but the price doesn't seem to be dropping.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I really want to go back and play Xenosaga 3 but I no longer possess a PS2 and Namco won't put it on PSN.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Speaking of Xenosaga, anybody know a good LP of Ep 2 and 3?

There's a decent one on the LP archive for ep 1, and like hell I'm gonna play through the other two to see where that trainwreck was headed.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    3 is really fucking good

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    My only exposure to Xenosaga has been Endless Frontier and Project X Zone, and I think I'll keep it that way, because I doubt the games will hold up to what I now expect.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    3 is really fucking good

can you elaborate for those of us that played a bit of xenosaga and ran away screaming

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

i am continuing to think about this and getting angrier and angrier

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The first Xenosaga game was bad

Like, the only game I've played that delved past being boring into actively driving me away from wanting to play it

No "I guess this is a genre for somebody else", it's anime bullshit to the max. This from the guy who played Star Ocean 3 to completion

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

And his weapons were gloves.

Except his weapon's upgraded by progressively becoming thinner and thinner gloves, with his ultimate weapon literally being gloves that are torn up and full of holes.

Nerd just take off your fucking gloves so we can kill this boss I've been stuck on for an hour.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

Like, the only game I've played that delved past being boring into actively driving me away from wanting to play it

No "I guess this is a genre for somebody else", it's anime bullshit to the max. This from the guy who played Star Ocean 3 to completion

they even made a xenosaga anime

• Options
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    man

chaos isn't even in the top 50 for worst jrpg names

It's barely even bad

• Options
    counterpoint: it's all lowercase

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

they even made a xenosaga anime

fuuuuuuuck that noise

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Disk 2 Xenogears feels like a cop out, deservedly so, but that game would have been way too damn long if all that content had actually been there.

As it was I though the narration of events was well written and interesting.

Still hate we missed out on that one dungeon that exclusively featured Elly and Emeralda.
    would have been the one opportunity to get some really good development on this mother/daughter duo.
    not gonna like I'm a bit upset that the FFXIV mascot boy is a dragoon for the expansion

It makes sense given the main conflict takes place at the birthplace of Dragoons, and the main enemy are dragons (which Dragoons were created specifically to hunt down).

• Options
    edited January 2015
    That doesn't really bother me.

Edit: the being lowercase thing

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

He was also Space Jesus.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    god like every step of that cutscene is awful

the molesting the young girl

the creepy vaguely effeminate villain who likes pain and says he's a higher life form

the way everyone just stands lifelessly around as a 12 year old boy is strangled

the poorly-mixed OST

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Also it's pretty nice seeing that Neptunia runs at 60 fps.

Makes me particularly excited about Fairy Fencer F's upcoming PC port. The framerate was the one big negative about that game.

If you're currently playing Neptunia now and if you're bothered by the abundance of....anime stuff...that happens in that game, Fairy Fencer dials it down considerably.

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »

He was also Space Jesus.

Nah.
    He was the servant of the actual Jesus, who actually does show up in a cutscene.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    All video games should have Shakespearean trained actors do their VA

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    http://xenosaga.wikia.com/wiki/Jesus_Christ

this shouldn't be an actual url

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

He was also Space Jesus.

Nah.
    He was the servant of the actual Jesus, who actually does show up in a cutscene.

that doesn't sound any better?
    unless its like actually fei showing up to kick ass and chew bubblegum

and he's all out of bubblegum

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

the entire game series is biblical in nature

that was it's thing

• Options

Am I the only one to find this hilarious?

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

the entire game series is biblical in nature

that was it's thing

and it was pretentious bullshit up its own ass

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

He was also Space Jesus.

Nah.

Oh God, you're right.

I was wrong.

It was even dumber than I remembered.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    like i'm not saying "oh you shouldn't use the Christ so callously" i'm saying if you're going to put that in your game you have lost total control of how buttfuck stupid your story is and should go to writing jail

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    This is what drove me away the most when I played and am wondering if there's any answer for it later on

There's space ghosts that can only be made physical with a special device. An entire fleet of ships is destroyed because they start firing at the space ghosts, which again are intangible. They have interacted with them before which is why a device exists to make them tangible

None of the ships have said device. Nobody thinks to turn it on. Several minutes after the space ghosts appear somebody finally activates the only device in the fleet placed in the body of a combat gynoid

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So what's the actual relationship between all these Xeno-thing games? I bought Xenosaga part 1, got about eight hours in, threw it in the trash because the Gamestop trade in value wouldn't have covered the gas to drive it there, and have assumed since then that Xeno-thing fans must be crazy people. But it sounds like that game was an aberration from an otherwise decent series?

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    like i'm not saying "oh you shouldn't use the Christ so callously" i'm saying if you're going to put that in your game you have lost total control of how buttfuck stupid your story is and should go to writing jail

Using Jesus Christ in your story automatically invalidates it?

Pretty sure that's been a thing in like, all of fiction for centuries.

• Options
    So what's the actual relationship between all these Xeno-thing games? I bought Xenosaga part 1, got about eight hours in, threw it in the trash because the Gamestop trade in value wouldn't have covered the gas to drive it there, and have assumed since that Xeno-thing fans must be crazy people. But it sounds like that game was an aberration from an otherwise decent series?

Don't bother.

-saga is bullshit all the way down.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

Nah

Just depends on how it is used

I haven't played ep 3 so can't really comment for sure, but I at least appreciate to some extent them just using actual Jesus Christ instead of a heavy handed, ignorantly made stand in.

• Options

Nah

I haven't played ep 3 so can't really comment for sure, but I at least appreciate to some extent them just using actual Jesus Christ instead of a heavy handed, ignorantly made stand in.

I've played 3.

It's incredibly dumb.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    This is what drove me away the most when I played and am wondering if there's any answer for it later on

There's space ghosts that can only be made physical with a special device. An entire fleet of ships is destroyed because they start firing at the space ghosts, which again are intangible. They have interacted with them before which is why a device exists to make them tangible

None of the ships have said device. Nobody thinks to turn it on. Several minutes after the space ghosts appear somebody finally activates the only device in the fleet placed in the body of a combat gynoid

the answer is the writers are criminals and no one in the series behaves like a human being

except the cyborg whom they intentionally portray as attempting to abandon his humanity

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I remember laughing at the TV screen when the shit about Mary Magdalene came up in Ep 3.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I feel this is the age-old thing where someone takes a look at the abridged version of a story and ignorantly shakes their head over how bullshit it is.

Of course a story is going to sound stupid if you break it down to its basic cliff notes. The whole point of a story is how it presents its premise.

I'm not even remotely claiming Xenosaga is this excellently-written epic, but if you're going to dump on it because you read a random wiki entry on it, then you're just as bad as someone who dismisses an old game for its graphics or other typically petty reasons people on the internet use.

• Options

Nah

Using Jesus Christ in your story automatically invalidates it?

Pretty sure that's been a thing in like, all of fiction for centuries.

when your story is about sexy robots and mechs fighting ghosts in space and evil gay albinos and samurai fights

yes

yes using jesus christ does reveal you don't know what you're doing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i can go take a picture of my xenosaga game boxes if you'd like

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.