As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Am I the only one who hate fandoms?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    In spite of being the big metal gear fan

I have no idea what the metal gear fandom even looks like

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I think Metal Gear lends itself better to lone conspiracy theorist nutjobs than any kind of cohesive, large fan group.

Which is why you are on the list.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Yeah with all the weird, pervy stuff Kojima puts in his games after MGS made it big, I have no idea if that's to appease his fans or infuriate them. Both seem completely plausible

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have no idea what any fandom for the things I enjoy is like I prefer to keep it that way.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

well of course you don't

they're very good at remaining undetected

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Yeah with all the weird, pervy stuff Kojima puts in his games after MGS made it big, I have no idea if that's to appease his fans or infuriate them. Both seem completely plausible

I get the feeling that Kojima makes stuff for Kojima.

That he has fans is just some happy accident that lets him keep being Kojima.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

So far as I can tell it's a much, much more conventional fanart/cosplay/discussion sort of fandom

Like, even on tumblr when I do see Metal Gear stuff (which is fairly often) it's basically just the sort of fanart and videos you'd get in the Metal Gear thread here

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

the MGS fandom... is you!!!

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    What are the fandoms?

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    As an addendum to that post, and because tumblr seems to be such a common thread to this discussion, here's how I see the difference between the two different sorts of fandom (which are really more binary points with a gradient between them)

On one end, you have fandom as a confederacy of fans of something. These fans act individually, and can be fairly devoted. Therefore, these fans are "fans of x piece of media". This can still reach extremes very easily, but the sort of fans that reach these extremes are very devoted individuals.

On the other end, you have fandom as a near hive mind of fans who act a bit less individually, sharing their fandom's memetic information rapidly. Tumblr's microblogging format proved exceptionally useful for this - tumblr was never meant for such a purpose, but the appropriations worked out spectacularly. People can share ideas relevant to their fandoms instantly, and this can spread just as quickly. In this hive mentality, you also end up with a few niches like fanart blogs, roleplay blogs, and so on, which act as synapses for moving content efficiently.

Some fandoms are mostly exclusive to one end or the other. Some bridge the gap with ease. It's interesting to figure out which.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    What are the fandoms?

they've been dead for 100 years...

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Has anyone made the "I'm more of a fansub" joke yet?

signature.png

• Options
    UPSUPS What can I do for you? Handling Your GoodsRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    shipping is important to many industries.

Finally! Some recognition!

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    UPS wrote: »

Sup UPS, how it is?

• Options
    UPSUPS What can I do for you? Handling Your GoodsRegistered User regular
    UPS wrote: »

Sup UPS, how it is?

Keepin' busy.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

the MGS fandom... is you!!!
    Convention are tricky though. Always mix-ups with the MSG fandom.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I propose we destroy all media.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    I'm trying to think of pre-tumblr rapid/memetic type fandoms and as far as I can think of, the really big examples are:

Fushigi Yuugi/Inuyasha/(put shipping-popular anime flavor of the year here) anime fangirls, which is almost certainly the direct ancestor to tumblr fan culture. It was just on Gaia, DeviantArt, and LiveJournal in the 2000s

Sonic fans

The furry fandom (tumblr isn't quite as huge of a fur haven as you'd think because there's still such a huge chunk of them that use FurAffinity)

The occasional other odd forum bubbles where that pattern of closed circle, infinite feedback loop arose on its own, like that weird Russian rescue rangers cult

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    hey @UPS, I've got a package that was delayed due to weather in the midwest earlier this week and basically there's been no updates to the tracking since Tuesday, what do you think is up with that?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

It looks like you.

Fandom isn't the sum total of a group of people who like it. It isn't a specific internet community, it isn't a specific culture, it isn't even a specific type of person. If you like something, the fandom for that thing looks like you and you don't have to answer for what some grobnar on the internet who also likes the same thing does.

Look, there are jerks and assholes and, on the internet especially, perverts who like all sorts of things. That doesn't mean that that thing that they like is defined by what they do. If someone does something stupid, people are going to focus on their interests that make them seem like outsiders. So if someone acts like an asshole it's suddenly about how they're a Homestuck fan and not because they're an asshole. If someone is a pervert the story becomes that they're a Brony and not that they're a pervert. If someone shoots up a school it's because they're a gamer and not because they're mentally unstable. We don't need to wall off liking something because of the actions of someone else who likes something.

It's all the same story repeated over and over again. We don't need to do it to ourselves when we've already got the shitty media doing it for us, and we all agree and recognize that it's shitty already.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2015
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of pre-tumblr rapid/memetic type fandoms and as far as I can think of, the really big examples are:

Fushigi Yuugi/Inuyasha/(put shipping-popular anime flavor of the year here) anime fangirls, which is almost certainly the direct ancestor to tumblr fan culture. It was just on Gaia, DeviantArt, and LiveJournal in the 2000s

Sonic fans

The furry fandom (tumblr isn't quite as huge of a fur haven as you'd think because there's still such a huge chunk of them that use FurAffinity)

The occasional other odd forum bubbles where that pattern of closed circle, infinite feedback loop arose on its own, like that weird Russian rescue rangers cult

Oh man I spent soooo much time on Fushigi Yuugi, though my attempts to take that to the internet only seemed to yield fanfiction and I was never into that. With my friends, we all liked different characters, so there wasn't a lot of hive-squeeing there so much as the narrowing of eyes whenever something supporting the other person's shipping came up. I did go to see Midorikawa at Otakon one year, back in the very early 2000s. Someone asked for a sound bite of him calling Miaka's name, and he did, and I swear a room full of hundreds of girls simultaneously orgasmed with a scream. That includes me.

Six or seven years in the future, I'm talking to my now-husband who was hanging out in some other part of the convention center at the time, and he says "Oh my God, I was at that con. Is THAT what that was?"

The very first shipping I ever did was Picard and Crusher (in the privacy of my own mind), and then Mulder and Scully with friends (and if you tell me you watched that show and didn't want to see them together I'll be pretty sure you're a lying bag of dicks).

Admittedly this was all in my younger years, and more recently I usually just think to myself that a couple people would be good together and then watch the show to see what happens. That is probably the healthier way.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

Sonic fans

Harry Potter used to be big. The fandom was probably only big because the movies and books were big, but I'd describe it as one of the biggest fandoms before tumblr.

I don't think tumblr is all that unique, there's always been places weirdo shippers hang out. They might not have been as popular, but they had a bigger impact on the internet than fandoms on tumblr do now.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Yes there is a huge difference between being a fan and being a part of a fandom. But that doesn't mean that the difference is always huge or clear.

Yeah, I mean clearly I am a fan of the penny arcade comic. I find it entertaining. But I don't go around telling everyone about it, dressing up like Gabe, or saying I'm really fruitfucker on the inside.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

It looks like you.

Fandom isn't the sum total of a group of people who like it. It isn't a specific internet community, it isn't a specific culture, it isn't even a specific type of person. If you like something, the fandom for that thing looks like you and you don't have to answer for what some grobnar on the internet who also likes the same thing does.

Look, there are jerks and assholes and, on the internet especially, perverts who like all sorts of things. That doesn't mean that that thing that they like is defined by what they do. If someone does something stupid, people are going to focus on their interests that make them seem like outsiders. So if someone acts like an asshole it's suddenly about how they're a Homestuck fan and not because they're an asshole. If someone is a pervert the story becomes that they're a Brony and not that they're a pervert. If someone shoots up a school it's because they're a gamer and not because they're mentally unstable. We don't need to wall off liking something because of the actions of someone else who likes something.

It's all the same story repeated over and over again. We don't need to do it to ourselves when we've already got the shitty media doing it for us, and we all agree and recognize that it's shitty already.

i'm not excluding myself from the metal gear fandom out of any kind of embarrassment or anything like that

i'm excluding myself on the basis that i don't actively contribute to any kind of greater metal gear fan community

i don't seek out other metal gear fans to talk about metal gear, i don't post on any metal gear forums or subreddits

i think you can be a fan of a thing and not inherently a member of that thing's fan community

and that's not something to hold as a point of pride or shame, it's just a neutral description of how you interact with that piece of media

• Options
    like if you have a daughter and watch my little pony with her and are surprised at how much you like it and regard it as a fun guilty pleasure to have a kid as an excuse to watch it but don't do anything other than just watch the show

i'd be hard pressed to call you a brony

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You can watch the show and like it.

God knows we have a threads dedicated to Korra, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe...which are all kid's shows. Just don't make it weird.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Remember when shipping was just a thing your sweet old grandmother would do when you took her out to the supermarket to get groceries?

You should really date that Suzie girl from down the street! She's such a nice little lady.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I am so into Adventure Time it's a little ridiculous.

• Options
    ceres wrote: »

it's so gooooooooood

• Options

it's so gooooooooood

I see something new every time I watch. It's just an amazingly written show.

• Options
    edited February 2015

it's so gooooooooood

I see something new every time I watch. It's just an amazingly written show.

the way it's evolved from a goofy little one-off adventure show into this thing it is now, where it's a really funny but super earnest mixture of high fantasy and mythology and puberty is just incredible

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

Sonic fans

Harry Potter used to be big. The fandom was probably only big because the movies and books were big, but I'd describe it as one of the biggest fandoms before tumblr.

I don't think tumblr is all that unique, there's always been places weirdo shippers hang out. They might not have been as popular, but they had a bigger impact on the internet than fandoms on tumblr do now.

Kirk/Spock is the beginning of all this

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just read this as

"Am I the only one who hates freedom"

and I was like

Whoa that is deep.

• Options
    JoeUser wrote: »

Sonic fans

Kirk/Spock is the beginning of all this

Man like Adam/eve is the beginning of all this

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    What is the fandom name for fans of fandoms?

asking for a friend

So I'm not joking when I say that there was this thing called Fandomstuck (one of a gajillion bizarre Homestuck AU experiments people cooked up) for a few months, that a few of my friends got pretty into, where people made anthropomorphized characters whose behaviors were approximations of various tumblr fandoms' tendencies

It was kinda bizarre, as well as full of shitty art to a proportion awful by even Homestuck standards (I have about 2.5 gigs of Homestuck art saved and not a single picture from fandomstuck was worthy of right-clicking, where a few other AUs started as fanart projects and so actually have kinda cool shit going on in that department), and I never paid much attention to it. Wasn't as fucked up as, say, Onceler, but it was kinda funny simply for its status as a completely unironic metafandom

Homestuck is an interesting behemoth of a fandom and if I were any sort of formally educated cultural anthropologist I could write a gat damn thesis on it

oh damn I remember this

Only example I can remember was the MLP fandom being represented by a preteen girl as the target audience, and her goon older brother as the brony fandom

the depictions of their interactions was... troubling

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Is there a fandom for Rumple Minze?

Because sign me up for those meets.

In this case the fandom couldn't possibly be more foul than the subject of the fandom itself.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I just read this as

and I was like

Whoa that is deep.

if there's one fandom that needs to slow its roll

it's the american freedom fandom

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I just read this as

and I was like

Whoa that is deep.

if there's one fandom that needs to slow its roll

it's the american freedom fandom

gWmlTpt.jpg

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular

WEIRD BABY MAN

• Options

WEIRD BABY MAN

BEFORE THERE WAS ANYTHING, THERE WAS NOTHING

AND BEFORE THERE WAS NOTHING

THERE WAS MONSTERS